2018-2019 Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
    Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Verified Expert 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1. Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)
    2. Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Health Sciences

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Lucca, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. holdthemayo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Last year's prompts for reference:

1) In the space provided, please discuss challenges in your journey to applying to medical school. (150 words)

2) In the space provided, please include a statement that specifically address how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

#2 holdthemayo, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. itsalwayssunny96

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you look at last year's thread, they changed the word count from 100 to 150 words after some people had already submitted their secondaries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. holdthemayo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good catch. I'll update it.

itsalwayssunny96 likes this.
  5. dvj1000

just a random question, but it says that Rosalind Franklin requires a rec letter from a medical professional. Would a PI, who is an md, that I worked with count?

6. holdthemayo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If they are an MD then they count.

premedalt likes this.
  7. B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3

2+ Year Member

"If you choose to submit three individual letters, we prefer (but do not require) at least one recommendation to come from a medical professional (not necessarily an MD) with whom you have worked. No more than three individual letters or one committee letter or one letter packet containing a minimum of three individual letters will be considered in evaluating your application. All letters must be included in your AMCAS application."

8. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    anyone received a secondary yet?

TheBearJew7 likes this.
  9. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

Just finished pre-writing this secondary. It's significantly shorter than the other one I finished this evening (thank goodness lol)

10. At1113

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txpre_med and yogidoc19 like this.
  11. Mr. Peanutbutter

Mr. Peanutbutter SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Secondary Received:
    1. Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)
    2. Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

#11 Mr. Peanutbutter, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  12. Boola Boy

2+ Year Member

Anyone know if this school is big on service? I remember reading somewhere that the average applicant has hundreds of community service hours here. Wondering if it's worth the time spent on the secondary/application fee. Seems like a short secondary, so I might as well send it out, but not if they're Rush or Loyala-esque in the community service requirements...

13. MarkWatney

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received

tobrittany likes this.
  14. tobrittany

Thoughts on not completing one of the 'optional' essay prompts? Will that be looked upon more negatively than a weak answer?

15. initialize

2+ Year Member

For question one, I’m probably overthinking this, but does it mean a challenge that was very recent /during undergrad? The words “journey thus far to medical school” make it sound like a challenge that happened recently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

16. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    I think it can be at any point. There could have been factors that affected you in your personal life that you overcame and others that may have been in our upbringing that may have put you behind your peers when you started college.

esentr and initialize like this.
  17. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    I think I'm just going to leave the first essay blank.
    I haven't really faced any significant challenges and it says they're optional.

18. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    can someone clarify which prompts are optional?

19. brick123zw

2+ Year Member

Yeah I'm leaning towards doing the same. I have a general adversity essay I've been using about coming out of my shell during high school but don't really think it fits here. It wasn't really a challenge in my journey to medical school.

20. all of them. applying to med school is optional

21. brick123zw

2+ Year Member

Both of the 150 word prompts. "Applicants are asked to complete two optional essays to further inform our committee."

don't you dare likes this.
  22. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!

brick123zw likes this.
  23. 14kailee

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else having problems staying within the word limit? I'm at 200 words on the 2nd essay but I can't decide which part to take out :(

24. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Man you can't write anything with this 150 word count.

25. Wannabemdee

Not a helpful suggestion

NJ Doc 1117, mango_, swu96 and 3 others like this.
  26. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Submitted the secondary for CMS today! The word limit felt tough to deal with at first, but I switched to using extremely short and direct sentences and that did the trick. I tend to over write and then start hacking away at sentences until it fits the word limit (and honestly sounds much better anyway). Good luck everyone!

Anyone know how early interview invites have come out of CMS in years past?

27. btuck

Pre-Medical
    Hi! Incoming M1 here. Ask me anything. I received my interview invitation on September 2 for September 15. This was the first interview date for the 2018 admissions cycle.

AspiringDoc169 and ammo3 like this.
  28. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi! thanks for stepping up to answer questions.
    What made you choose Rosalind Franklin?
    Do you have any insights on what the adcom would like to see from applicants?
    How was the interview process like for you?

29. AspiringDoc169

Thanks for your willingness to respond to questions. I have two for you when you get a chance:
    1. What is the school culture like when you visited the school? Is it more collaborative or cut-throat?
    2. If you have to describe Rosalind Franklin Medical School in one word, what would it be and why?

30. btuck

Pre-Medical
    Yep! I am definitely able to answer questions for the next few weeks. Once I start school in mid-August, don't think I will have too much time to hang around SDN haha. I chose Rosalind Franklin for multiple reasons:

1. Chose RFU for several reasons. Close to home - I grew up literally 20 mins from the school. While Chicago Med is not literally in Chicago, I think that is actually a plus. During the week there are really gonna be no distractions in North Chicago but on the weekends, the city is only a train ride away. Also considerably cheaper than living downtown. Advocate Health is their main hospital system. I think it may be the largest in Illinois with departments in every specialty and in and around Chicago, the Advocate system has a great name. Because RFU does not have their own hospital system, you will have the opportunity to rotate around many hospitals in Chicagoland (Advocate being the main one).

2. The school emphasizes two main things. A. focus on INTERPROFESSIONALISM. Honestly, the term is over-used at the school. Couldn't count the number of times I heard it at admitted student day. Rosalind Franklin is a graduate university for the health sciences. Your classmates will be Allopathic medical students, pediatric medical students, PAs, nurses, and all sorts of other health professionals. You will have classes with some of them. They want to know you have experience working in settings with multiple health professionals, not just doctors. B. They want students who want to be in Chicago and stay in Chicago! I don't know how you may or may not be able to incorporate this into your essays, but if you don't have ties to Chicago and/or Illinois, you may want to add it in. Focus on how at Chicago Med you rotate through sites all over the metropolitan area. They really see this as a huge advantage (and I do too) to not having their own hospital system.

1. Culture is definitely collaborative, I have heard this from several students. You are not only encouraged to work together, but forced to, which brings me to...

2. INTERPROFESSIONAL. Read above - RFU is a small university of about 2000 students, all of whom are studying the health sciences. You will take a university-wide class on interprofessionalism your first year and the student-run clinic is run by and has volunteers from every program at RFU.

31. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much for answering the questions so thoroughly!

32. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    Submitted!

33. Blazers_33

Pre-Medical
    Secondary submitted! hoping to get an interview invite. My uncle went here and he loved the school.

34. VersaceJack

For the prerequisite section, we only check courses that we are taking in the upcoming year correct? So if we've already completed them all, we leave them all blank?

35. At1113

Pre-Medical
    Yes. I believe so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    literally had the same question and called them. you are right.

VersaceJack likes this.
  37. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh that's perfect! Just what I wanted to know! Were you IS or OOS? Thanks!

38. Hope2019

Pre-Medical
    do they require 2 semesters of lab for general chemistry? or just 2 semesters of gen chem + 1 lab?

39. btuck

Pre-Medical
    I am IS

I believe they require 3 semesters of Chemistry lab, however you want to do it. You will have to call admissions to get your specific questions answered.

40. PopeKnope98

Pre-Medical
    I have about 140 hours of non-clinical volunteering (current experience, I volunteer every Sat) and about 70 hours in a free clinic (I go there once a week, but it's only like 2 hours a week, that's why my hours are so low)

Do I stand a chance? I'm from WI and was born in Chicago and tbh Rosalind is one of my top choices!

41. PopeKnope98

Pre-Medical
    Also, do we not need to submit a medical professional letter anymore? This is all it says on their website:

"Please Note: No more than three individual letters, one committee letter, or one letter packet containing a maximum of three individual letters will be considered in evaluating your application. All letters must be included in your AMCAS application."

I remember seeing the preferred med professional letter before, but it's not there anymore, right?!

42. brick123zw

2+ Year Member

At the top of the supplemental it says "Individual Letters refers to letters authored by, and representing a single letter writer. If you choose to submit three individual letters, we prefer (but do not require) at least one recommendation to come from a healthcare professional (not necessarily an MD) with whom you have worked."

So I guess they like two science and one from a medical professional? Maybe they care less if you have a committee letter.

43. PopeKnope98

Pre-Medical
    Ah, okay, so it’s on the secondary. I haven’t submitted my primary here yet, so thanks for the info!

44. Freddywap

Pre-Medical
    on the secondary application is says not necessarily an MD

45. TUforMD

Pre-Medical
    What is the optional prompt exactly?

46. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

2. Challenges before applying and diversity

47. Stunner20

Can someone inform me of the price ($) for submitting the secondary application?

48. ammo3

Pre-Medical
    I believe $125

49. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

I don't understand why though lol. I don't think even harvard has that high of a fee

50. btuck

Pre-Medical
    Chicago Med received 14,000 applications last year, maybe they are trying to decrease the number of applicants. Also, application fees have never corresponded with prestige.