2018-2019 Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could any current studies lend some advice about what most students use for note taking in class? Will a laptop suffice or would it be beneficial to invest in a tablet?
Folks use whatever works for them - laptop, tablet, paper, not taking notes at all.... Use whatever works for you.

Bonus FYI:
The laptop requirements the school sends out are a little over the top. Basically as far as the school is concerned, you just need to be able to run the exam software. So if you have any questions about whether your current machine is compatible, call IT and they can send you the link for the test site.
There's also a student loan adjustment (up to $1700 iirc) if you want to upgrade your machine and put the cost on your loans. *However* you can only use this once during med school (so if yours is good enough, save it in case you need a replacement) AND the earliest you can use it is <4 weeks out from the start of classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Could any current studies lend some advice about what most students use for note taking in class? Will a laptop suffice or would it be beneficial to invest in a tablet?

I used paper for notes because I'm old, but others used tablets or laptops. I used my laptop for tests and pathoma/sketchy/uworld/anki/etc. Get whatever you are comfortable using because you will spend a ton of time with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Im looking for a place to live, since on-campus housing is full. There is very little on the housing forms, so if anyone still needs a roomate id be happy to find a place =)

Members don't see this ad :)
current m4, happy to answer any general questions. hmu privately if you have specific questions

welcome to CMS and good luck! you are going to be a doctor!

current m4, happy to answer any general questions. hmu privately if you have specific questions

Hey it's not letting me PM you. It might be because your profile is set to private.

Are you familiar with how AOA is decided here?

Are you familiar with how AOA is decided here?
i am.
as you probably already know m1 and m2 year are P/F but you are internally ranked which is the main component for getting invited to JUNIOR AOA. Once invited you basically submit an application and they decide on a very select handful to receive the award.
Senior AOA is based off of your first 3 years (so clerkships as well) and the rest of the items mentioned previously.

I highly suggest trying your best to obtain AOA as it is a feather in your cap and can speak to YEARS of hard work, but do not be heartbroken if you aren't selected. other than select programs in select specialties, AOA is by no means a "must".

Reactions: 2 users
i am.
as you probably already know m1 and m2 year are P/F but you are internally ranked which is the main component for getting invited to JUNIOR AOA. Once invited you basically submit an application and they decide on a very select handful to receive the award.
Senior AOA is based off of your first 3 years (so clerkships as well) and the rest of the items mentioned previously.

I highly suggest trying your best to obtain AOA as it is a feather in your cap and can speak to YEARS of hard work, but do not be heartbroken if you aren't selected. other than select programs in select specialties, AOA is by no means a "must".

Thank you! How many people in each class do you think get invited for the junior AOA?

just got in off the waitllist... the office is closed so I can't call and ask now but when is the first day of class? Can't find this online it's probably there I'm just in shock and need to give a decision by tomorrow! Any help would be very much appreciated! What vaccinations are required and does anyone have a direct number to the MD admissions office?

Reactions: 4 users
just got in off the waitllist... the office is closed so I can't call and ask now but when is the first day of class? Can't find this online it's probably there I'm just in shock and need to give a decision by tomorrow! Any help would be very much appreciated! What vaccinations are required and does anyone have a direct number to the MD admissions office?
Hey, congrats! First day of class is August 12. Orientation starts next week Tuesday August 6.

So I submitted my 3 LOR currently in AMCAS (2 science and 1 non-science) without realizing the 3 letter requirement. I have an MD letter being submitted and I personally would rather have that one replace of the science letters. Do you guys think I should still send it even though it's a 3 letter requirement? Would they even look at it or is there a way I can let them know that the MD letter is preferred?
also wondering about this