2018-2019 Clinical Psychology PhD/PsyD Applicants (Fall 2019 Admissions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When should we assume most schools are done sending out invites for interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I have another weird question for those in the know.

Should I take off my wedding ring during interviews? Is being married a negative for programs considering applicants?

I've never really taken it off before so I would feel weird haha.
Hi, I'm a senior student in a graduate program and a few things: 1) The people interviewing you should absolutely NOT ask about your relationship status or family status but if they do see a ring, they may talk about other graduate students that have partners and mention employment opportunities in the area; could be helpful if your partner is planning on moving with you. 2) If there is a program that judges you for being married or (for others out there) having children, that likely isn't a supportive type of program to devote 4+ years of your life to. 3) My opinion is that is best to show yourself to best see how you'd fit at any particular site. I'd say 30% or more graduate students are married and you shouldn't feel the need to hide that part of yourself. Hope that helps, you got this!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to me back when I applied. They already know you, so the odds are pretty good I would say that you'll advance from phone interviews to in-person interviews, unless you totally bomb it. I would be prepared to field questions about your experiences, how your work relates to the prospective PI's, and what you are hoping to gain personally/professionally through your PhD training. I would genuinely express your interest to the PI if their program is among the top of your list. My current institution and PI (both very highly regarded in my specific area) both told me during year 1 of my PhD that one of the main reasons that pushed me ahead of other applicants was that I stated that the school I am attending was my top choice and I would accept an offer without hesitation (which it was). This can be a delicate balance to strike between coming off too strong and being genuine, but if you already know the PI and have had conversations you are probably good to be this honest.

Other then that, you are probably good! I wish you the best. :)

Thank you so much! I will definitely do this. I would say this is program #4 for me for sure, definitely in my top five. And because I know the PI/have established some rapport, I feel like I know them a little bit more.

Trying my best to stay calm here.. My impostor-self is telling me the only reason this PI is wanting to call me is due to them knowing my current boss, not because I’m qualified/good enough for an in-person interview lol

Phone interviews are typically an effort to whittle down to the 2-4 applications a PI can invite for an in person interview. It means that on paper, you meet all of their requirements and the PI is simply looking for information that will help them decide between several awesome-on-paper people.They take a lot of time and effort for a PI, which means that it is highly unlikely that they would go through all of the trouble just because they know your boss.

As for content, the #1 recommendation I have is to ask about the research that they are most excited to pursue over the next 1-5 years. Because of how long it takes for a paper to actually get published, recent publications typically indicate what that researcher was interested in 2-3 years earlier. For both you and the PI, it will be good to know if there is a good match with the PI's upcoming research. Additionally, this is a chance for you to get information that you are unlikely to get from a website. Take some time to think about what type of experience you would like in grad school. Do you want to know the PI's mentoring style? How much collaboration the lab has? Whether students are submitting/getting grants? Where they end up after grad school? Not only do these types of questions give you valuable information for your decision about where to go, it shows where your focus is--which is helpful for the PI. Interested in a research career? Ask about research-y things. Interested in learning about creating and implementing interventions? Ask about opportunities in the lab and program to work on clinical trials, etc.

Good luck!