2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering they are already giving out end of January interviews, I'd say ~90%. I'm not gonna hold my breath for this school.
Isn't it still kinda early in the cycle tho? According to their website and last year's thread, they send Interview Invites up until late January

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't it still kinda early in the cycle tho? According to their website and last year's thread, they send Interview Invites up until late January
In last year's thread, this time last year, it seems that available interview dates were end of November and first week of December. Right now, they're up to end of January, and I think the last interviews are early February.

They probably will be trickling out an interview every now and then, but I don't want to be disappointed so I'm not gonna keep my hopes up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol I bet we’ll still see people say “it’s still early in the cycle” we’ll into December

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think Bassett interviews have gone out? Last year it seemed they went out later, but maybe this is all reporter bias?
Also holding out for Bassett. I haven't seen any mention of it on here yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Also holding out for Bassett. I haven't seen any mention of it on here yet!

I got rejected from Bassett but got an interview to regular Columbia MD in the same email. So they've at least started reviewing them for sure.

same here! its okay friend we can be sad together
Currently taking members for the acapella rendition of "Let It Go" to be sung outside of the admissions office...

At this stage of the app cycle, we are pressed on time so no auditions necessary. We shall sound however we were intended to sound lol

Reactions: 7 users
Honestly surprised if they really are going so fast, lol. Maybe the debt free tuition got a lot of 4.0/528s to apply? My friend who attends told me she received invites through January overall, and I think she interviewed with them in December or early January. Anyway, their loss!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly surprised if they really are going so fast, lol. Maybe the debt free tuition got a lot of 4.0/528s to apply? My friend who attends told me she received invites through January overall, and I think she interviewed with them in December or early January. Anyway, their loss!
Wait am I missing something? What debt free tuition? I know NYU has that now but I didn't know Columbia did as well...?

Wait am I missing something? What debt free tuition? I know NYU has that now but I didn't know Columbia did as well...?
It means Columbia guarantees need-based aid (Columbia covers the difference between your expected contribution and the COA, please correct me if I am wrong). It is less complete than what NYU is offering (tuition-free for ALL students, regardless of need or merit), unless Columbia offers more than their entire tuition in need-based aid; however NYU also offers 20-30% of their class full COA scholarships in addition to tuition (your tuition and living expenses would be covered). The upshot is that columbia’s debt-free need-based aid program will give most students less aid than NYU’s tuition-free program.

Did anyone else who interviewed already get an email from admisswith some information about global and public health today?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty cool that I get to wait until February to be rejected from my top choice, really lets me marinate in anxiety and false hopes

Reactions: 29 users
II! Complete 7/20. Was starting to lose hope for this school haha

Reactions: 18 users
For MSTP people, did any of you receive an email after you submitted the faculty list? I did so a while ago and haven't heard anything since the II email.

For MSTP people, did any of you receive an email after you submitted the faculty list? I did so a while ago and haven't heard anything since the II email.

Nope, you submitted thru the google form right? I wouldn’t worry about it, you’ll prob get an email with your schedule a week or so before your interview date

Nope, you submitted thru the google form right? I wouldn’t worry about it, you’ll prob get an email with your schedule a week or so before your interview date

Awesome, coming up soon. Thank you!

so right before the 10/15 AMCAS deadline i did something crazy and submitted a primary and secondary to this school...does anyone have thoughts on what my chances are for an interview? i don't have anything super impressive, LM 70 from a top 10 undergrad with lots of research, hopefully columbia likes the research component bc not sure what else i have to offer ha

So is there really just one half-hour open file interview and that is it? Can someone tell me how the interview day kind of goes...

Has anyone interviewing in November heard back about Bard Hall yet?

Has anyone interviewing in November heard back about Bard Hall yet?

I'm interviewing in December and got a response to my housing request the next day. Might be worth a call if you haven't heard back from them yet!

So is there really just one half-hour open file interview and that is it? Can someone tell me how the interview day kind of goes...

Yep. You tour around the amazing Vagelos Education Center (literally the most beautiful med school facility I've ever been in) and you get to sit in on a lecture. It's all super chill, I loved my interview day here. I just wish we could have seen the anatomy lab on the tour

People who have already interviewed—it says on the interview day schedule that there are morning and afternoon interviews. However, people have said we only have one interview... what do you do during the other time slot if you don’t have an interview then?

Have people who were complete in September received an interview? Thanks

People who have already interviewed—it says on the interview day schedule that there are morning and afternoon interviews. However, people have said we only have one interview... what do you do during the other time slot if you don’t have an interview then?
On my interview day (and I might be misremembering this, so I apologize if that's the case), everyone had morning interviews, and we all got out fairly early in the afternoon. They probably just have "morning and afternoon" interviews listed because whoever the interviewers happen to be that day might be busy during one or the other. It allows busy, practicing physicians some flexibility.

Maybe you'd just sit around in the morning if you had an afternoon one. We all got to go to a lecture, maybe you'd go to a couple haha.

On my interview day (and I might be misremembering this, so I apologize if that's the case), everyone had morning interviews, and we all got out fairly early in the afternoon. They probably just have "morning and afternoon" interviews listed because whoever the interviewers happen to be that day might be busy during one or the other. It allows busy, practicing physicians some flexibility.

Maybe you'd just sit around in the morning if you had an afternoon one. We all got to go to a lecture, maybe you'd go to a couple haha.
Yeah I think only one applicant in my group had an afternoon interview--which was after the tour. You will have free time during the day regardless of when you interview. I remember sitting in on a lecture (which was actually super interesting) and talking with current students in the admissions office.

On my interview day I had an afternoon interview and they emailed me the day before saying I didn't need to come until 11am but that if I wanted I could sit in on a class at 9am or 10am so I just came for the 10am class.

Is Columbia receptive to an ITA email?

On my interview day, everyone shows up in the morning to get their times. After check in, we had a brief rundown of the day and then began morning interviews. For the people who had afternoon interviews or interviews later on in the morning, we were allowed to attend lecture or hang around the rendevous area. I remember 3-4 people my day who had afternoon interviews and they just stuck around after the tour was done which was around 2pm.

are they receptive to updates? I was complete mid July and it's been radio silence.

Did anyone who interviewed and sent a thank you note receive an email like this?

“.... Although it is too soon to know definitely how things will go this year, I can assure you that the Admissions Committee will keep you very strongly in mind. It would be helpful to us if you provide us with an update prior to mid-February.”

Just curious to know if this is a form/standard acknowledgment of thank you note receipt.