2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, sorry to be that person, but can any current students provide insight as to whether a late interview date (i.e. post January) means that I'm effectively interviewing for the waitlist here? My parents were telling me not to be overly optimistic since I heard back comparatively late in the cycle :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, sorry to be that person, but can any current students provide insight as to whether a late interview date (i.e. post January) means that I'm effectively interviewing for the waitlist here? My parents were telling me not to be overly optimistic since I heard back comparatively late in the cycle :(

It's non-rolling, so timing of interview literally doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did the same. Not sure when you interviewed, but I interviewed 11/13 + uploaded the notes two days later, and only just got the email yesterday. So if you interviewed more recently it’s possible they just take a while to send this response?

Just got it this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any recent movement from Bassett?
My thinking is that all the IIs for Bassett have been sent out. They apparently do 5 groups of 10 interviewees until December. So I'm thinking they're done sending out IIs since we're in December now.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when their last MD only interview date is?

Last edited:
If anyone cares, I just called the admissions office for the MD/PhD program to ask if their two remaining interview dates were filled (12/13 and 1/9) and the woman I spoke to said no, and that they are still reviewing applications.

Reactions: 7 users
If anyone cares, I just called the admissions office for the MD/PhD program to ask if their two remaining interview dates were filled (12/13 and 1/9) and the woman I spoke to said no, and that they are still reviewing applications.

I just gave up on them at this point. Would be nice though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did the same. Not sure when you interviewed, but I interviewed 11/13 + uploaded the notes two days later, and only just got the email yesterday. So if you interviewed more recently it’s possible they just take a while to send this response?

If you don't mind me asking, did you send a thank you to the admissions team too? I only sent one to my interviewer. If so, who did you email?

Thanks in advance!!

For anyone still waiting on an MD invite... Office of admissions says they're still reviewing apps!

Reactions: 29 users
Any consensus regarding the post-interview emails about being kept “very strong in mind” by the admissions committee?

for people who have already interviewed: i dont think the portal specifically states a time we should arrive by so does that mean we should arrive by 8:15 for breakfast or by 9?

for people who have already interviewed: i dont think the portal specifically states a time we should arrive by so does that mean we should arrive by 8:15 for breakfast or by 9?
You can check in and eat breakfast anytime between 8:15 and 9, and breakfast is just self-serve. Interviews will start right at around 9 if you're scheduled then, so I would recommend getting there before 9. Usually there are some students who drop by to chat during that time too.

You can check in and eat breakfast anytime between 8:15 and 9, and breakfast is just self-serve. Interviews will start right at around 9 if you're scheduled then, so I would recommend getting there before 9. Usually there are some students who drop by to chat during that time too.
don't we not know whether we have morning or afternoon interviews though? so essentially it's safe to get in any time before 9?

don't we not know whether we have morning or afternoon interviews though? so essentially it's safe to get in any time before 9?
You find out when you check in, but yeah as long as you're there before 9, you're good!

If you have an afternoon interview, they'll email you the day before and give you the option to come in around 11, for the tour and Dean's talk

Is there a good place on the website to read about early clinical experiences? I'm trying to research for my interview and all I can find is a sentence about clerkships from MSAR... I am helpless when it comes to these med school websites :rolleyes:

Does anyone know when Columbia starts sending out pre-II rejections?

Reactions: 5 users
On MSAR, it says acceptances start being released Feb 11th, but on the Columbia website it says admissions offers are made in early March. Does anyone know when acceptances are sent out?

Also, above some people said they had one interview and some people said they had two? Is that for MD only? Or is it 2 interviews for MD/PhD and only 1 interview for MD applicants? Or is it varied

On interview day, they said decisions would be resulted late february... so i’m not positive!
And I only had one interview, but I think some people might have also had a student interview? I can’t remember exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

On MSAR, it says acceptances start being released Feb 11th, but on the Columbia website it says admissions offers are made in early March. Does anyone know when acceptances are sent out?

Also, above some people said they had one interview and some people said they had two? Is that for MD only? Or is it 2 interviews for MD/PhD and only 1 interview for MD applicants? Or is it varied

They're testing out student interviews on some days (i think Tuesday and Thursday) for future use. My interview day all had 2 but some days will only have the one faculty interviewer.

Ive had plenty of student interviews and this one was one of my favorites. I think they did a great job training them. A lot of times they feel awkward and unprepared but i didn't get that feel here.

I think some people are randomly assigned a second interview with a student

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a pre-interview dinner for Columbia? I can't find anything about it online and they haven't sent any info regarding it either. Would really appreciate a response

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a pre-interview dinner for Columbia? I can't find anything about it online and they haven't sent any info regarding it either. Would really appreciate a response

Had no mention of anything like that on my interview day so I'd assume no.

Do any of y'all know if the second (student) interview has any weight in the decision process? Just curious, since I think I'll have two interviews

Based on the random assignment, it's probably a means to generate data to see if student interviewer evaluations correlate to performance in med school, yield, etc. If they get positive results, they'll probably give everyone a student interviewer in future years.

Hey guys I have an interview here tomorrow and for some reason my portal does not load at all. All the information regarding times and location of the interview is on the portal. Could anyone be so kind as to provide me with those details? I would really appreciate it

Are they done with interviews here? I’ve been seeing conflicting things so far

Are they done with interviews here? I’ve been seeing conflicting things so far
From their admissions page:
Late August - January: Interview invitations are sent.”

It looks like invites were sent during January last year, so I don’t believe they are done yet.

From their admissions page:
Late August - January: Interview invitations are sent.”

It looks like invites were sent during January last year, so I don’t believe they are done yet.
Do you know if that was more early jan? or late? If they send out January interviews, I'm assuming they interview till like February maybe?

Do you know if that was more early jan? or late? If they send out January interviews, I'm assuming they interview till like February maybe?
Here is a graph made from IIs reported in last years SDN thread. It looks like they were mainly during the beginning of January. This is all anecdotal though – no guarantees.

Who thought it was a good idea to send a holiday card, givin us all heart attacks lol...

But in all seriousness thats pretty thoughtful of them <3

Reactions: 10 users
Just got a very cute holiday e-card from the admissions office, half of me hoped it would say "surprise! We're not waiting until early March to give you a decision after all!" on the back

Reactions: 8 users
I submitted around 9/20 and am figuring out when I would receive an II. Anyone who completed around the same time received II already?

Withdrew post II, pre-interview. Best of luck to everyone else!

Is there a way to connect with current students to talk to them about their experiences? I’m interested in hearing from someone about the housing situation and their experiences with the program

Is there a way to connect with current students to talk to them about their experiences? I’m interested in hearing from someone about the housing situation and their experiences with the program
Definitely. They have a student ambassador that emailed everyone after their interview and I met her at my interview day. That might be your best bet!

For those who uploaded thank you notes on the portal, did you receive an acknowledgement of any kind, or were you able to view the file you added anywhere? I'm starting to get paranoid that mine didn't upload haha

For those who uploaded thank you notes on the portal, did you receive an acknowledgement of any kind, or were you able to view the file you added anywhere? I'm starting to get paranoid that mine didn't upload haha
I uploaded mine sometime last week after my interview and just got confirmation today