stickflip723

I wanna grow up to be a debaser
2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Using the application material you provide (CSS Profile, parent’s tax returns, your tax returns, etc...), Columbia determines your expected family contribution (EFC). They then subtract that from the total cost of attendance. The resulting number is paid for by the Vagelos Scholarship.

Theoretically, no one should graduate with debt. However, if your parents make a healthy living and are not contributing to your medical education, you likely will not benefit at all from Columbia’s financial aid system and will need to take out federal loans for the entire cost of attendance (edit: as with most schools)

Also notable: If your parents are separated/divorced, you still must provide fincancial info for your non-custodial parent—even if they aren’t contributing a dime to support you. This is not the case for some other schools (ex: Yale only asks for custodial parent info)
Did they do away with the unit loan crap since the Vagelos donation?

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm probably not far from that number considering I have "3 parents" even though I haven't received a dime from my dad and stepmom in 15 years. It's pretty unfair that I have to count income from essentially a different family as contributing to me :(
They allow for special circumstances explanations. This is something you should mention. No guarantee it will help, but it's worth a shot

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not going to lie... I am pretty upset about my post-II rejection.

However... I am even more upset that my classmate was accepted into Vagelos despite having mediocre grades and cheating on her permanent record.... her father is an instructor at Vagelos.... there was never any doubt that she would be accepted.

This process disproportionately rewards people with money and privilege.

Cheating:
I don’t know the exact details of the case, but I do know the following... caught cheating on a lab report (copying or something). Placed on permanent record. Absolutely had to report it on AMCAS so yes Columbia knew. Students with similar cases (relatively common) coming from my school were denied Interviews at most if not all MD schools

College admissions scandal: What we know so far - CNN

Is Columbia going to be added to this list? I wouldn't be surprised

stickflip723

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2016
Status
Anyone else having the financial aid website asking for things that IDOC says are already submitted?

Phoebus Apollo

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2017
Status
Anyone else having the financial aid website asking for things that IDOC says are already submitted?
For me it says the documents I submitted have been recieved, but I called a few days back and they said that it can take ~5 days for their office to recieve documents from IDOC.

stickflip723

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2016
Status
For me it says the documents I submitted have been recieved, but I called a few days back and they said that it can take ~5 days for their office to recieve documents from IDOC.
I called the office (it had already been two weeks for me) and they ended up waiving both the things it said it needed...so....all good I guess?

Reactions: Phoebus Apollo
Jul 20, 2018
Accepted, but I'll be attending Yale instead.

Hope my spot goes to someone on wait list with same passion for research as me!

Good luck everyone!
Congrats! Were you accepted off the waitlist just now? If so, did you send a "letter of interest" following the waitlist decision

Jun 19, 2018
Was there a confirmation email for the waitlist? I cannot find anything that signified an acceptance of the waitlist in my inbox.

younggotti

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Status
Was there a confirmation email for the waitlist? I cannot find anything that signified an acceptance of the waitlist in my inbox.
Waitlist confirmation was on the portal itself

stickflip723

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2016
Status
So are we supposed to get our financial aid packages before second look? Or did I just hallucinate that? It's kinda gonna determine whether or not I go so....

Mar 13, 2018
Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.

Reactions: wooooop
Feb 28, 2019
Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.
Unlikely. I highly doubt many people have a top 3 that doesn’t include Columbia. Top 20 acceptances are rare and hard to come by.

Reactions: swissnational
Dec 20, 2018
Status
If they accepted more than their class size, I don’t think WL movement will happen until May 1 when people will hold only one acceptance. Unless a significant amount of people withdraw from Columbia on April 15, which seems unlikely.

Reactions: swissnational
May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If they accepted more than their class size, I don’t think WL movement will happen until May 1 when people will hold only one acceptance. Unless a significant amount of people withdraw from Columbia on April 15, which seems unlikely.
Can confirm that they have accepted more than their class size.

stickflip723

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2016
Status
Anyone else get an update regarding their financial aid? Mine said it would be provided at revisit, which is a little later than I had hoped but at least I know it's coming.

Reactions: silly-cat-lover

looptheloop

Toasted_Sesame_Bagel
2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2014
Status
Have any other MSTP acceptees received an email with details about the hotel accommodations and who you'll be rooming with for revisit? I remember an email in February saying this info would be sent "later," but revisit is this week, so...? :p
All I've received so far was the name of the hotel. This is obviously not a very important question, I am just getting excited and was curious.

Dec 19, 2018
Have any other MSTP acceptees received an email with details about the hotel accommodations and who you'll be rooming with for revisit? I remember an email in February saying this info would be sent "later," but revisit is this week, so...? :p
All I've received so far was the name of the hotel. This is obviously not a very important question, I am just getting excited and was curious.
I have my travel itinerary but nothing else so far

Reactions: looptheloop

looptheloop

Toasted_Sesame_Bagel
2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2014
Status
If anyone is around already for the revisit and wants someone to grab dinner with, PM me! :)

Nov 28, 2018
Students were able to pick up financial aid info from the financial aid office. If you were not able to do so I believe they mentioned that they would have everything emailed out by Monday.

Mar 21, 2018
Status
Worth reaching out to see if P&S would match a merit scholarship from WashU?

weakmadestrong

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 2, 2014
Worth reaching out to see if P&S would match a merit scholarship from WashU?
Idk if Columbia's been known to match offers, but from my own financial aid experience and talking to some others at revisit, they seem to be in a generous mood this year...so it's 100% worth a try!!

weakmadestrong

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 2, 2014
I received an email with my financial aid offer a bit ago, so I'm guessing they're all being sent out now

Feb 28, 2019
I also have spoken to insiders who say that the class size has shrunk by 20 spots. I'm not sure if they proportionally shrunk the # of initial acceptances and waitlist spots. It certainly appears as though they interviewed the same number of students this year.