2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I doubt it matters. If you have the complete email, you're good.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II at 830 PST!
OOS LM 69.
Received secondary 7/28, complete 8/3.

Submitted a primary to Cooper last week but haven't received a secondary yet :(

Members don't see this ad :)
II!! IS LM 71.

Does anyone know how the area is?
I grew up 15 minutes from Camden and currently attend Cooper. As a child, we were conditioned to fear Camden. As an adult and med student here, I can honestly say its nothing like its made out to be. Conditions have gotten much better over the past decade or so and Cooper has a lot to do with that. Lots of construction and new buildings being erected. I would not allow the "Camden reputation" to discourage you. You will realize this when you come for interview day. It sort of reminds me of Pittsburgh after the steel industry collapsed, namely transitioning from a failed industrial center to a technological and health science hub.

Reactions: 1 users
I grew up 15 minutes from Camden and currently attend Cooper. As a child, we were conditioned to fear Camden. As an adult and med student here, I can honestly say its nothing like its made out to be. Conditions have gotten much better over the past decade or so and Cooper has a lot to do with that. Lots of construction and new buildings being erected. I would not allow the "Camden reputation" to discourage you. You will realize this when you come for interview day. It sort of reminds me of Pittsburgh after the steel industry collapsed, namely transitioning from a failed industrial center to a technological and health science hub.

Looking forward to seeing how it's changed over the years. I grew up in Marlton and went to Rutgers Camden. Last time I was there, it was pretty crappy, but that was years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking forward to seeing how it's changed over the years. I grew up in Marlton and went to Rutgers Camden. Last time I was there, it was pretty crappy, but that was years ago.

Nice, I grew up in Voorhees. Don't get me wrong, it still has some very seedy parts, but there has been a ton of improvement in the Rutgers and Cooper campuses and many neighborhoods of the city. The Cooper campus has close to tripled in size since 2008 with the new hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center, CMSRU, and now the 2 new research complexes and conference center that are currently under construction. Part of attending this school is buying into the mission and truly committing to being part of the change instead of fearing the past. For people who want to be part of the status quo, then this school is not necessarily for you. If you're into shaping the future, not just your own, but that of the surrounding community and the landscape of medicine as a whole, then it is 100% for you. I turned down an acceptance at a top 15 for Cooper and have not regretted it.

(Just in case anyone was having doubts about it being a "new" school)

Nice, I grew up in Voorhees. Don't get me wrong, it still has some very seedy parts, but there has been a ton of improvement in the Rutgers and Cooper campuses and many neighborhoods of the city. The Cooper campus has close to tripled in size since 2008 with the new hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center, CMSRU, and now the 2 new research complexes and conference center that are currently under construction. Part of attending this school is buying into the mission and truly committing to being part of the change instead of fearing the past. For people who want to be part of the status quo, then this school is not necessarily for you. If you're into shaping the future, not just your own, but that of the surrounding community and the landscape of medicine as a whole, then it is 100% for you. I turned down an acceptance at a top 15 for Cooper and have not regretted it.

Oh yeah I have no doubts that it’s a great school. And as much as I was there (went to Rutgers from 2007-2010), I am definitely all about the patient population and seeing the community grow. If I wasn’t, I definitely wouldn’t have applied. Cooper is actually the only school in the area I applied to.

Also, we lived in Voorhees for a few years when I was growing up.

Also, we lived in Voorhees for a few years when I was growing up.
Oh yeah I have no doubts that it’s a great school. And as much as I was there (went to Rutgers from 2007-2010), I am definitely all about the patient population and seeing the community grow. If I wasn’t, I definitely wouldn’t have applied. Cooper is actually the only school in the area I applied to.

Great to hear. I know admissions likes older/nontraditional applicants so hopefully things will work out! Best of luck

@BadSanta Just wondering, but do you know how the timeline for interviews usually works out? It seems that based on last year's thread most interviews were sent out before September, with the bulk of the acceptances coming out in October. However, seeing that the only interview spots are only twice in September, and that it also appears that not many RD applicants have received an II yet, could it be possible that the process just got delayed?

When I spoke with admissions about interview dates, they said the October schedule just isn’t out yet, but that it will be soon. I think they just started sending out RD IIs and that I happened to get one of the first ones and fortunately can go on one of the September dates. I don’t think there’s any reason to worry.

Anyone how the interview is? I know its partial closed.

Hey everyone, I hope this isn't violating the secrecy of interviews but does Cooper use MMI or long form interviews? I read it was a hybrid of both.

Hey everyone, I hope this isn't violating the secrecy of interviews but does Cooper use MMI or long form interviews? I read it was a hybrid of both.

Looking at the past threads, it seems like they used to have a mix of traditional interviews and a patient encounter, but starting last year they did away with the simulated patient. So it seems like it’s just two traditional interviews now.

Edit: Just went and looked at the interview tab on my portal, and it says this:

"After a brief introductory breakfast session, you will be given information sessions about CMSRU, including tours of the facilities, and a traditional formal interview with an admissions committee member."

Last edited:
Does this school do silent rejections?

Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is?

I believe its pretty high >50%. The tough part about this school is getting the interview but once you have it you're in pretty good shape. I think all 3 Jersey MD schools have a relatively high post-interview acceptance rate.

First Cooper interviews done today! It was really a relaxed day honestly. Don't stress at all about it. Also very short interview like 20-30 min. So don't worry if it seems short.

First Cooper interviews done today! It was really a relaxed day honestly. Don't stress at all about it. Also very short interview like 20-30 min. So don't worry if it seems short.

I almost picked today, but the wife is out of town. Looking forward to mine on the 21st.

How did it go having one closed file and one open file interviewer simultaneously ask questions?

Can a current student talk more about the Active Learning Groups?

How did it go having one closed file and one open file interviewer simultaneously ask questions?

Honestly it wasnt bad at all. Of course the open file person knows all about the experiences you are talking about. But giving a brief summary of what the activity is literally took 10 seconds. My 2cents: don't think about closed/open file format. Just prepare for this like an closed file completely and you will be fine.

Honestly it wasnt bad at all. Of course the open file person knows all about the experiences you are talking about. But giving a brief summary of what the activity is literally took 10 seconds. My 2cents: don't think about closed/open file format. Just prepare for this like an closed file completely and you will be fine.

Sounds reasonable. Did they do any good cop bad cop stuff or was it pretty straightforward?

Sounds reasonable. Did they do any good cop bad cop stuff or was it pretty straightforward?

Hehehe I wouldn't exactly say it was good cop bad cop style. But one of the people were really nice and supporting and the other person was testing me a bit by stuff that could throw me off (also I couldn't get any type of vibes from this person lol).

Hehehe I wouldn't exactly say it was good cop bad cop style. But one of the people were really nice and supporting and the other person was testing me a bit by stuff that could throw me off (also I couldn't get any type of vibes from this person lol).

Did you fill out interview feedback on the SDN resources?

Can a current student talk more about the Active Learning Groups?

Most people like ALG including myself. It’s 6 hours every week (2 hours M/W/F). They give you a case every Friday evening, so you can prepare for ALG the next week. The group consists of 2 facilitators (1 basic science and one clinical faculty member) and 7-10 students. You talk about anything from disease mechanisms, treatments, basic science concepts, systems, biopsychosocial aspects, lab tests, etc. it’s a good way to work through the material and learn all about some diseases and how to approach them (for example, I can tell you everything there is to know about cystic fibrosis lol). In addition to the original release Friday evening, they give you multiple other releases throughout the week with more information on the case. At the end of Friday’s session they give you a list of objectives and you can see if you hit them all. They grade you on a scale from 1-5 and as long as you average a 3 or higher then you pass.

That’s a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps!

Can anyone please comment on when interview day should be over by? I am trying to figure out when I should fly back home!

Can anyone please comment on when interview day should be over by? I am trying to figure out when I should fly back home!

All tours and interviews will be over by 12:45-1pm. But afterwards there is a talk to a current student session which is optional, which ends like 30-45 min after.

Most people like ALG including myself. It’s 6 hours every week (2 hours M/W/F). They give you a case every Friday evening, so you can prepare for ALG the next week. The group consists of 2 facilitators (1 basic science and one clinical faculty member) and 7-10 students. You talk about anything from disease mechanisms, treatments, basic science concepts, systems, biopsychosocial aspects, lab tests, etc. it’s a good way to work through the material and learn all about some diseases and how to approach them (for example, I can tell you everything there is to know about cystic fibrosis lol). In addition to the original release Friday evening, they give you multiple other releases throughout the week with more information on the case. At the end of Friday’s session they give you a list of objectives and you can see if you hit them all. They grade you on a scale from 1-5 and as long as you average a 3 or higher then you pass.

That’s a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps!
Thank you!

Hello everyone!

I'm one of the first years NotsoObv and BadSanta is talking about. XD. We just started about a month ago, just finishing our first test up. I love it here.

I'm here in case anyone has any questions about first year or things in general! Or a first years POV on things. I don't exactly know what to expect but am free most Fridays; so if you want, I can definitely talk with you after your interview or anything to put your mind at ease, show you around, etc.

But, yeah: any and all questions are good. No one knows who you are here and will never know (not even like it matters; y'all are in the same boat), so shoot away!

Hello everyone!

I'm one of the first years NotsoObv and BadSanta is talking about. XD. We just started about a month ago, just finishing our first test up. I love it here.

I'm here in case anyone has any questions about first year or things in general! Or a first years POV on things. I don't exactly know what to expect but am free most Fridays; so if you want, I can definitely talk with you after your interview or anything to put your mind at ease, show you around, etc.

But, yeah: any and all questions are good. No one knows who you are here and will never know (not even like it matters; y'all are in the same boat), so shoot away!

Thanks! I'm currently active duty military and am committed to military medicine (in an SMP through USUHS, but we're allowed to attend civilian schools on the HPSP/HCSP). I have read that CMSRU is pretty mission based, particularly in the local area. Is the almost guarantee that I would have to move away from NJ for a military residency and likely wouldn't be able to come back to Jersey to practice until retirement going to put me at a severe disadvantage? (Obviously it's just lip service, but my wife and I are actually planning on homesteading in NJ once I ETS.)

I have an interview next Friday, so I'm hopeful, but I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thanks! I'm currently active duty military and am committed to military medicine (in an SMP through USUHS, but we're allowed to attend civilian schools on the HPSP/HCSP). I have read that CMSRU is pretty mission based, particularly in the local area. Is the almost guarantee that I would have to move away from NJ for a military residency and likely wouldn't be able to come back to Jersey to practice until retirement going to put me at a severe disadvantage? (Obviously it's just lip service, but my wife and I are actually planning on homesteading in NJ once I ETS.)

I have an interview next Friday, so I'm hopeful, but I'd like to know your thoughts.
I don't think that puts you at a disadvantage. The fact that you're so willing to come back and serve time here after all is said and done, I think speaks to how much you could give back when you do return. And consider: most schools have their students match hundreds of miles away after they complete their four years and never even think about returning, so are you really different *rhetorical; think about that*?

Personally, I'd hold you higher if I was interviewing and heard that. It just needs to address what you think are weaknesses ("and I know what you're thinking Mr. Interviewer, what is a promise to you? How can I own my promise to here?"). I think if you're willing to come and put so much work in if accepted, that's as good if not better (because you need to show you care about this community in that interview), than most can truthfully say.

Did that answer the question?

I don't think that puts you at a disadvantage. The fact that you're so willing to come back and serve time here after all is said and done, I think speaks to how much you could give back when you do return. And consider: most schools have their students match hundreds of miles away after they complete their four years and never even think about returning, so are you really different *rhetorical; think about that*?

Personally, I'd hold you higher if I was interviewing and heard that. It just needs to address what you think are weaknesses ("and I know what you're thinking Mr. Interviewer, what is a promise to you? How can I own my promise to here?"). I think if you're willing to come and put so much work in if accepted, that's as good if not better (because you need to show you care about this community in that interview), than most can truthfully say.

Did that answer the question?

Yep. Thanks!