2018-2019 Creighton University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do I have to have the physiology requirement prior to submitting my secondary or just by matriculation?

Members don't see this ad.

Really bummed about their physiology requirement. I took a&p 1 and 2 but apparently those don't count

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Alright this advanced Physio requirement seems ridiculous. I did a 2 year SMP and took med school level classes (specifically, embryology, histology, pharmacology, regenerative medicine, and regenerative biology of systems, which was physiology based). I don't know if that Regenerative Biology of Systems class would count towards that Physio requirement. Also don't want to donate $100 to them if i'll just get tossed aside. This is frustrating

Hey y'all, Creighton is an awesome school and you should all come here.

Omaha is a pretty cool city too, don't get freaked out about it being in Nebraska, it's pretty urban.

Also I'm an M2... so come here. Ask any questions if you have them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, Creighton is an awesome school and you should all come here.

Omaha is a pretty cool city too, don't get freaked out about it being in Nebraska, it's pretty urban.

Also I'm an M2... so come here. Ask any questions if you have them!
I dont have statistics and I was going to do a free course on coursera on statistics and probability from Stanford will this be acceptable?

I am assuming if i took a Human Neuroanatomy course for 1 quarter that would not fulfill the requirement?

Hello, I'm an incoming M1 so I can try to answer any questions that people may have about why I chose Creighton!

Reactions: 1 user
What are the main reasons you chose Creighton? What appeals to you the most?

I really enjoyed my interview because the students were super friendly and there was a sense of community. The amount of volunteer opportunities was also intriguing since that allows you to explore activities outside of studying. The newly renovated sim center was impressive and Omaha is a surprisingly fun city having been here now for some time. Overall, the amount of opportunities along with a sense of community appealed to me most.

Hey all! I'm an M3 at Creighton and always love talking about our program to prospective students. If you have any questions about the program, medicine, or Omaha, I would love to answer them as best as I can. Respond to me here or message me. Either way works :)

when does this school start sending out II?

Do you think I have a shot with 140 non clinical volunteer hours + a mission trip?

I know some of these schools highly prioritize non clinical volunteering and that seems to be the lowest part of my app.

I'm in the same boat with over 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Having spoken with an admissions representative at some point, I remember they cared more about how long you were involved in the activity (at least 6 months) and the depth of the experiences

when does this school start sending out II?

According to the wonderful @planeblue 's amazing II tracker Creighton has a fairly early schedule for sending out II. Most of the reported II's went out during or before August

Here's the link to the Tracker. You can find it by searching Interview Tracker

Are we screwed if we didn't indicate physiology as a future class on our AMCAS? I did not know this school required it. Should I still apply here? I can take physiology as non-degree this year or next spring by matriculation, but I'm worried they won't consider me since it is not indicated as future coursework on my amcas

Members don't see this ad :)
In the secondary's "Non-Medical Volunteer Activities" section, should we include new information about an activity already on AMCAS? Or should the activity description just be a shorter version of our AMCAS one?

I'm in the same boat with over 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Having spoken with an admissions representative at some point, I remember they cared more about how long you were involved in the activity (at least 6 months) and the depth of the experiences

I actually spoke to an admissions officer as well, and I have 130 nonclinical and he said it was totally what they were looking for. As long as you convey the experience well.

So they say all science courses at 4-year. I took bio 1&2 and physics 1&2 at community colleges. Every other science I took (gen chem, orgo, biochem and a ton of bio electives including human physiology) at a 4 year. Will I be alright to still fill out my secondary? Or will I be screened out because I took those at a community college?

I don't think it should be an issue if you have most other science classes at the university level and a good GPA. I went to community college and I'm in med school at CUSOM. I have a few friends here who also had similar paths.

Also, for those who are concerned about the physiology: Creighton does conditional acceptances, so if you're missing something they want, they will tell you to do it before the matriculation date. Had a friend who had a summer phys class online she was taking/finishing up while we were in anatomy during our M1 year.

Would I have a slim chance if I took Statistics at a community college?
Would I have to take stat again at a 4-year uni? I already graduated...

For those who are continuing volunteer activities until matriculation, did you project hours on the Creighton secondary under the non-clinical volunteer activity section? I projected hours for 2 activities as I will be continuing them so I was wondering if I also project on the secondary.
I personally projected hours.

Does anyone how you are supposed to indicate the year of a course when inputing them. Do you put the term year or the year in which you actually took the class?

Does anyone how you are supposed to indicate the year of a course when inputing them. Do you put the term year or the year in which you actually took the class?

I put the year I actually took the course, but I doubt it’s a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the question "Are you currently enrolled in a post baccalaureate program?", does it count if we are doing DIY/informal post-bacc?

Also, when they ask "have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any disciplinary sanction?", does academic probation count? It is under "Campus Safety" page, and I think they're asking more towards behavioral misconduct?

Last edited:
For the question "Are you currently enrolled in a post baccalaureate program?", does it count if we are doing DIY/informal post-bacc?

Also, when they ask "have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any disciplinary sanction?", does academic probation count? It is under "Campus Safety" page, and I think they're asking more towards behavioral misconduct?
I personally would err on the side of caution, because I don't want to be seen as hiding anything which may rub some adcoms the wrong way. But ultimately it's up to you.

So i should not apply if I havent taken physiology correct? Or would i still have a chance?

You can still apply without fulfilling all the prereqs.

true that. they won't be making decisions strictly based off of whether you completed advanced phys or not. i followed up

Is it worth mentioning in my Why Creighton essay that my uncle is on the faculty there and he's the one that really got me interested in applying or will that make me look desperate?

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth mentioning in my Why Creighton essay that my uncle is on the faculty there and he's the one that really got me interested in applying or will that make me look desperate?
No, I think that's acceptable

Do any nontrads have experience with the LOR requirements? It states “three letters of recommendation sent from persons familiar with your recent scientific work or study experience.“

Does that mean 3 science LORs? Or is the “study experience” separate from “scientific” because of “or,” meaning any study experience? (Ex: 2 science profs, 1 non science prof).

Do any nontrads have experience with the LOR requirements? It states “three letters of recommendation sent from persons familiar with your recent scientific work or study experience.“

Does that mean 3 science LORs? Or is the “study experience” separate from “scientific” because of “or,” meaning any study experience? (Ex: 2 science profs, 1 non science prof).
I'm a non-trad that got waitlisted last cycle. I used two LORs from previous science professors and one for a science professor I TAed for. This year I am using two letters from employers alongside letters from the previous science professors.

Hey Everyone, Current M2 student here. I tried to be pretty active on last years forum answering questions and providing insight into Creighton so Ill try to do the same this year as well.

Happy to see so many of my other classmates, both M2 and our new M1s have decided to do the same.

General advice for everyone. Admissions dept is awesome. If you have specific questions about pre-reqs or case dependent issues ASK THEM. I've found our admissions team to be extremely helpful when I was applying and still believe that they do in large part try to be very transparent with our applicants.

Secondly, be yourself in your essays. Interviews will include 1 faculty and 1 student M2-M4 and be open file.

Best of luck and may the odds be ever in your favor <3

After looking through the comments some people asked previous Med students what omaha is like and why creighton so..

Omaha is situated in downtown Omaha which is rapidly becoming more and more developed. Theres enough here that you can entertain yourself without it being quite as hectic as a major city like Boston/miami.
Stadium big enough to host major concerts, great little downtown bar scene, the best zoo in the country (literally its constantly ranked top), annual host of the college baseball world series, creighton sports, a number of golf courses, etc. Theres actually stuff here, not just cornfields like some other people pointed out.

Food options are numerous and diverse with options in indian, thai, ethiopian, mexican and more in addition to standard Nebraska diet of burgers and beer. With that being said, craft breweries are kinda a thing and bars often have some of the best food around. Great foodie environment.

Omaha is MUCH more diverse that I originally anticipated, with rather large (or large to what I originally percieved) immigrant and refugee populations living throughout omaha.

About creighton :

Best med school ever. JK, but I do really love my school and don't have any regrets (I'm OOS chose over in-states). I like our grading scheme (H-P-F), faculty is great and incredibly receptive to our opinions. I'd have absolutely no problem whatsoever approaching any member of our faculty to meet, emails are typically responded to within 24-48 hours. I believe we are incredibly unique in that we offer 2 clinical campuses that are both outstanding (referring to the ability to complete M3 and M4 at either omaha or phoenix). Each campus offers their own residency programs as well and Creighton makes it possible to rotate during M4 at both locations regardless of which site you end up at.

Student here in general are pretty happy. I def feel like I enjoy my experience more than 90% of my friends who are at other medical schools. We are competitive, but more so in the way that is innate in a population of medical students. Students often work together, share anki decks/notes and try to help each other succeed. There are always gunners but even the gunners are great people who are willing to take a second to someone else if needed.

Extracurricularly, we engage in a ton of service. You can give sexual health lessons to inmates at the prison, teach primary school children about medicine/science, and much more. In addition to the magis clinic (our main free clinic) there are a number of other free clinics throughout omaha that we serve at which I think is incredible. While we aren't dripping in research opportunites, I've happened to stumble across several projects as an M1 with relatively little effort. Show a little initiative and you'll be fine.

High Yield: Omaha is diverse, with great things to do, and great food to eat.
Creighton offers a supportive and collaborative learning environment where service is emphasized and opportunities are numerous

Hopefully this helps someone, feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 3 users
First II of the cycle! MCAT range 515-518, GPA range 3.85-3.95. Received application 7/7, submitted 7/27

EDIT: Also OOS

Reactions: 4 users
First II here! Over the moon.

OOS, 4.0/515, WARS 83, complete 7/21

Reactions: 3 users
II invite! Complete on 07/05. August 24th interview here I come!

II, OOS (but did AmeriCorps in Nebraska), completed 8/1. LM 76.

Received my II today!! LizzyM 73, ORM, from Utah but did undergrad at CU. Nontrad.

I'm reluctant to stay with a student host because last time, they freaked me out. but I was thinking of using Airbnb in the area. i found a host that is willing to drive students to and from interviews. Has anyone used airbnb so far? Had any bad experiences that I should know about?

Received my II today!! LizzyM 73, ORM, from Utah but did undergrad at CU. Nontrad.

I'm reluctant to stay with a student host because last time, they freaked me out. but I was thinking of using Airbnb in the area. i found a host that is willing to drive students to and from interviews. Has anyone used airbnb so far? Had any bad experiences that I should know about?

I stayed with an airbnb host last year. I liked the experience. My host picked me up from the airport and drove me around too.