2018-2019 Creighton University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We love "because its a medical school and I just want to go somewhere"

But in all seriousness it's understandable that you might have difficulty because at the end of the day many medical schools offer similar educational experiences. I can guarantee you however that their emphasis on different parts of the curriculum will vary.

Many medical schools offer free clinics service opportunities but how many schools offer the ability to serve at multiple clinics, with weekly service opportunities in different specialties?

Most medical schools will offer service opportunities, so Creighton is by no means unique in this aspect, however each and every student who graduates from Creighton participates in voluntary service. I think that says something about the culture of our school.

What is the clinical education/opportunities like at each school? Although I can't tell you what it will be like with new curriculum, I can say that Creighton seems to begin teaching clinical exams/interviewing skills much earlier than other schools do (subjective based upon my friends experiences at other schools) and we offer our longitudinal primary care program where you will spend an afternoon every 2 weeks shadowing a family med, IM, or OBGYN doc (this may change to be earlier with new curriculum). This is alot more clinical experience in the first 2 years than many other medical schools that I am aware of.

Does spending 2 years in Omaha and 2 years in phoenix appeal to you? This is another incredibly unique educational opportunity unique to Creighton. If you aren't interested in Phoenix, Does staying in the Midwest appeal to you? that can be a reason of Why Creighton.

Perhaps living in a small city appeals to you, that could be a reason.

We utilize a vital signs mentorship program where each M1 is paired with an M2 (and an M3, M4 going down the line) A group of these student mentors are provided a faculty mentor. This is something I believe is fairly unique to Creighton (I know of some schools that have mentoring of some sort, but lack faculty mentoring components) and provides a strong support structure during your transition into medical school and throughout your education.

Interested in Global Health? over 20% of our class participated in CURA trips this past summer. I know other schools participate in global health experiences however I don't believe they do it to the magnitude (in the sense of number of student participants) as Creighton does.

Do you enjoy a non-competitive atmosphere that is collaborative? Creighton was easily the most relaxed school I visited on the interview trail and is still the most laid-back collaborative medical school environment I know of.

Fostering of your religious beliefs/spirituality could also be an important reason of why to apply to creighton (many catholics/jesuits really like that creighton is jesuit).

In short, there are plenty of things to write about. We have our faults and short comings but Creighton truly is a great medical school that is will offer you a unique and empowering educational experience.
Wow, thanks for your thorough response! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

II OOS, complete 7/24! Stats in signature. See you guys on September 28th!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today as well. Never actually got the invitation email, just the email from the student host program

OOS, complete 8/7.

Reactions: 1 user
II yesterday, OOS, complete 8/8, LM ~70, ORM

Is Creighton receptive to other religions entering their class? I don't want to seem too forward, but I just don't have a clue and can't seem to find anything about this?

Is Creighton receptive to other religions entering their class? I don't want to seem too forward, but I just don't have a clue and can't seem to find anything about this?

My perspective as a non-catholic christian is that Creighton is incredibly accepting of all individuals regardless of ethnic, religious, or sexual identification. I'd describe us as a catholic/jesuit institution the promotes overall spirituality. You will receive a catholic/jesuit influence in regards to serving others, being leaders in community etc. The only required religious activities are learning of catholic health directives and Memorial service we hold for the families of our anatomy donors. The catholic health directives are taught in addition to general ethic principles so you wont be taught life begins at conception period end of story, you will learn that the church's position is that life begins at conception during a much larger discussion of abortion.

We do have a chaplain for our med school who teaches us and says a convocation/prayer at the beginning of each semester but even this is done in a manner that attempts to be inclusive.

Apart from these events you don't have to do anything that involves Catholicism if you choose not to. I personally have never seen any sort of discrimination against students who hold other beliefs and strongly believe you will be accepted here regardless of if you're a christian, atheist, jew, sikh, muslim, hindu, etc. This logically exists within rational bounds, i.e. if you're a staunch atheist who hates Christianity and actively speaks against religion, please don't come here.

If you have any specific concerns you are more than welcome to pm me or ask on this discussion and I will attempt to address as transparently as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So I submitted my secondary the first week in July and haven't heard back about an interview. Any ideas on how they review applications and send out interview invites?

So I submitted my secondary the first week in July and haven't heard back about an interview. Any ideas on how they review applications and send out interview invites?

I doubt there is a widely available knowledge as to exactly how they review applications/interview invites.

Sometimes it just takes time man. Interview cycle historically lasts to March so your talking 6 more months of interviews. Be patient and have faith.

In general i'd imagine the earlier you submit the more advantageous but quality of application could result in you taking precedent.

I submitted around the same time and just got an II last week, so it seems like they, along with most schools, don't review in a strictly chronological order

Submitted on 7/21. Not sure if I was skipped over...*crossing fingers*

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone go to the dinner they hosted? What did y'all think

It's literally just a dinner at a local restaurant in downtown/midtown. The location changes every week. Its set up by students for M0's and there won't be any administrators.
Just a chance to try a local eatery and talk to other med students/ M0's.
You won't be judged or evaluated. Most medical students will be drinking alcohol and not taking themselves too seriously. Nothing you say/do will matter unless you do something particularly egregious like declare love for Hitler.

To be honest, Med students just kinda use it as an excuse to grab some food before a night out. Plus it is pretty fun to chat with M0's.

Anyone go to the dinner they hosted? What did y'all think

It's pretty insightful to be able to ask current med students about Creighton while enjoying dinner with them and other applicants (who I found to be super nice to talk to)

Just wanted to give everyone a warning, I won't say when I interviewed for anonymity, Creighton has one interviewer who asks some extremely loaded questions. "Do you feel physician-assisted suicide is appropriate? When do you believe life begins? What is it about religion/humanity that sets us apart from animals? This was just a few examples I compiled, and he also asks about your cycle and how many interviews etc. you have had. Tbh it came across as extremely tacky and soured what was honestly a pretty good interview day. But all the other interviewers seemed to go by the books and just asked about your app and elaborated on it.

Just wanted to give everyone a warning, I won't say when I interviewed for anonymity, Creighton has one interviewer who asks some extremely loaded questions. "Do you feel physician-assisted suicide is appropriate? When do you believe life begins? What is it about religion/humanity that sets us apart from animals? This was just a few examples I compiled, and he also asks about your cycle and how many interviews etc. you have had. Tbh it came across as extremely tacky and soured what was honestly a pretty good interview day. But all the other interviewers seemed to go by the books and just asked about your app and elaborated on it.
I think some schools encourage candidates to reach out to admissions if they feel that their interviewer strayed off track/was inappropriate/was outright unfair/etc and they will work to arrange another or at least make a note. I'm not certain if Creighton is one of those schools, but maybe that's worth exploring? I dunno..it sounds like a nightmare. And to inquire about other jnterviews puts people in such an awkward position.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To be fair though, the people he interviewed will never know what he writes or says about you. They may have some weird system that works because they implied that they had been doing it for a while. Just sucked because they accept a lot of California grads and it was a great school for myself.

To be fair though, the people he interviewed will never know what he writes or says about you. They may have some weird system that works because they implied that they had been doing it for a while. Just sucked because they accept a lot of California grads and it was a great school for myself.

I'm sorry your interview turned into such a grilling session. In general student interviewers are supposed to focus on topics of discussion that allow us to get to know you as a person and aren't a testament to your religious/ethical beliefs.

Out of curiosity was this a faculty or a student interviewer?

I'm sorry your interview turned into such a grilling session. In general student interviewers are supposed to focus on topics of discussion that allow us to get to know you as a person and aren't a testament to your religious/ethical beliefs.

Out of curiosity was this a faculty or a student interviewer?

Ehh I'm not going to say just in case there is a chance it hurts my chances. Sorry

Has anyone found an answer to the advanced physiology requirement? I took three physiology courses, but none of them required a prerequisite to take them. I'd really like to apply to Creighton, but would hate to waste money if they are just going to toss my application away. Thanks.

I know this is a little late, but I would recommend emailing the admissions office! I was in the exact same situation and they verified that my physiology classes would meet the requirements. It doesn't hurt to ask :)

Received an II. Beyond excited! I love Creighton and I understand Omaha is a very livable city.

Question: I have two calendar options - October 26 or November 9. I'm probably totally overthinking this, but at this point in the cycle, do you think it matters if I take the later one vs. the earlier one?

Thanks for any advice.

Received an II. Beyond excited! I love Creighton and I understand Omaha is a very livable city.

Question: I have two calendar options - October 26 or November 9. I'm probably totally overthinking this, but at this point in the cycle, do you think it matters if I take the later one vs. the earlier one?

Thanks for any advice.
I personally dont think it matters since they are only 2wx apart, BUT if they are interviewing lets say 13 applicants every friday, then I would say take 26th

Thanks for any advice.

Congrats! Would you be willing to share your complete date and stats?

I personally dont think it matters since they are only 2wx apart, BUT if they are interviewing lets say 13 applicants every friday, then I would say take 26th

They interviewed 50 applicants on my interview date (9/22), so as you suggest, for-sure take the earlier interview date

As someone who had 8 interviews last cycle, I can safely say the time point at which you interview has very little bearing on whether they are more or less likely to accept you. The bottom line is that if they like you then they will make room for you and if they feel there is a better fit they will find room for them even if they interview in March. Best of luck to everyone interviewing. Creighton was my favorite interview and I am beyond excited to be here. Message me if you have any questions!

As someone who had 8 interviews last cycle, I can safely say the time point at which you interview has very little bearing on whether they are more or less likely to accept you. The bottom line is that if they like you then they will make room for you and if they feel there is a better fit they will find room for them even if they interview in March. Best of luck to everyone interviewing. Creighton was my favorite interview and I am beyond excited to be here. Message me if you have any questions!

Thanks for sharing! I tried to PM you but could not. It must be something in the settings?

still nothing..... I feel like I crashed on an uninhabited island of "no response"..... I applied to 35 schools, still waiting to hear from 25....

still nothing..... I feel like I crashed on an uninhabited island of "no response"..... I applied to 35 schools, still waiting to hear from 25....
I'm unfortunately on the same island. Applied to 32 and still waiting to hear from 30. UGHHH

you guys traditional students?

I'm not traditional either...I heard Creighton was pretty traditional though in their class? Kind of hoping that's not the case, and that there's still non-trads accepted there :rolleyes:

I'm not traditional either...I heard Creighton was pretty traditional though in their class? Kind of hoping that's not the case, and that there's still non-trads accepted there :rolleyes:

Creighton's class is in general rather young and traditional but by no means do we discriminate against non-traditional students. Many of my classmates either took off 2-3 years for post bacs/ masters/work and a couple students here are going through career changes at ages much older than our average.

I honestly don't think being a non-traditional student will be held against you as long as you can articulate why you are non-traditional. i.e. Why did you have a gap/ change career paths to medicine. If you can do that, I would guess that having life experience is seen as beneficial.

Yeah, at my interview, I didn't meet another non-trad but the interviewers seemed highly interested in my background :)

Silence still, marked complete 7/31

Radio silence since late July. Sad!

Creighton, I really love you. The moment I set foot on your campus I know that is where I want to be for the next 4 years and beyond. Please let me spend my medical school years praying in St. John’s Parish. The church is absolutely amazing and beautiful! Yes, I do have a love for church architecture lol.

Accepted this morning. LizzyM 70-72 OOS with zero ties to Nebraska. They send the initial notice in an email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED!!! interviewed 9/22 shocked because I didn’t think they were gonna let us know today (at least that’s what I wrote down)

Has anyone been able to accept so far? I'm not seeing an acceptance option in the secondary portal, like the email says.

Update: Nvm, it just takes a few hours to register in the system.

Last edited: