2018-2019 Creighton University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted via email! Interviewed 10/20

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete 9/27 still not heard anything... anyone else waiting on an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
+2 complete end of August. Wondering if I should upload another update since this is really my top school.
I was thinking the same thing... I haven't sent in an update yet but was thinking about it after finals.

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning! OOS, LM 69-70, ORM. Complete early October.

Creighton lets current students write letters on your behalf and I've had a friend who offered to write me one months ago. He still has not submitted any letter for me despite many promises and is now completing ignoring me. :( It really sucks when your friends disappear during times when you need some help...idk why people make promises in the first place. I feel like an inside letter would have pushed my app forward at this school, and even admissions said the same. Oh well...I just thought I'd vent!

Wait really?

Creighton lets current students write letters on your behalf and I've had a friend who offered to write me one months ago. He still has not submitted any letter for me despite many promises and is now completing ignoring me. :( It really sucks when your friends disappear during times when you need some help...idk why people make promises in the first place. I feel like an inside letter would have pushed my app forward at this school, and even admissions said the same. Oh well...I just thought I'd vent!

That really sucks man. Sorry your friend, whoever they are, seems to be ghosting you. To keep things in perspective though, while we as students can write letters advocating for applicants, it is by no means a golden stamp of approval and immediate path to interview/acceptance. I know of several students in my class who have written letters for individuals that went on to be denied/ wait listed because their application wasn't competitive. Your going to have to be accepted on your own merits and not "who you know."

Have faith in your application and keep in mind Creighton interviews pretty late (I believe into march) so there are still a ton of interview spots out there. If you are a current student, send in an update at the end of the Fall with your grades and any additional information you have on research, service, work, etc. Creighton seems to like updates as 1. a show of continued interest and 2. demonstration that your not trying to coast into med school. Interviewers will get the updates submitted as well so they can see your progress!

Imma give you my general advice and then my honest advice for the medical student interview:

General:
Be courteous, honest and try to be relaxed. If you don't know say you don't know or just give your honest reply. Don't try to tell them what you think they want to hear, trust me they can tell your B.S.ing the question. You never know what they'll ask but its always good to have this region/school (omaha isn't most peoples dream location) why medicine and more specifically why doctor (a helping people answer is often met with a "why not a police officer or priest or any of the other jobs that help people") up your sleeve. Basic understanding of ethical questions could be helpful. My faculty interview was largely this and than a conversation about sports because my team was the rival of my interviewers team and it made for playful banter.

"Tell me about a time you failed" is a common question. They legit want to hear that you failed and that you learned how to better yourself. The wrong answer is "well one time I got a B even though i studied really hard so i studied harder the next exam and got back to an A" or some other not real failure. We want to know you fell on your butt and had to rethink things and mature throughout the process.
I feel like most students get one odd question but its meant for you to be introspective not right.Try to have a question or 2 to ask because usually interviewers leave time at the end to answer your questions.

Med student interview:
From the current student interview perspective, be yourself. I believe the vast majority of student interviewers, really don't care that much about your typical premed stuff simply because it's we get there's quite a bit of box checking involved in applying to med school. If you did something truly unique or had a life changing experience than that's fine, but otherwise its not super interesting hearing about hospital volunteering and the 4 hours a week you spent in a lab doing "research." We'd rather know about the stuff that is unique to you and sets you apart.

Don't try to twist every question/answer to fit a rehearsed reply. It is incredibly annoying when we ask questions and get answers that are half off topic cause it lets you trumpet something on your application. As much as we get it, when we ask about your hobbies we don't want to hear about all the selfless volunteering you do. That's fantastic but were trying to gauge who you are. Do you play sports? Dance? Play Boardgames? Play in a band? do you brew your own beer or try your hand at gardening?

Although not super common, I know a decent amount of students who like to ask a random question just to see how you are with topics that you didn't rehearse on. I've heard of applicants being asked things like "who'd win in a fight superhero X vs Superhero y" "you go home tonight and find out you won the lottery, what are you doing with your life" "Penguin walks in wearing a sombrero what does he say?" "you can talk to any 3 people alive or dead who are they" stuff like that.

In general our Interviews are pretty chill. They were a defining reason as to why I chose to attend Creighton. The best thing is to just be yourself. Getting an interview is the hardest part!

McNerdy. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for this advice. I interview in exactly one week and will be using this. This has been so helpful. You're a rockstar!

McNerdy. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for this advice. I interview in exactly one week and will be using this. This has been so helpful. You're a rockstar!

Hopefully I don't lead you astray. Best of luck!

+2 complete end of August. Wondering if I should upload another update since this is really my top school.

I was thinking the same thing... I haven't sent in an update yet but was thinking about it after finals.

If there is something meaningful to add, I'd advise updating your application. Semester grades, new clinical experiences, recent research activity, etc. are all great things to update the admission committee on! If you've kept doing the same old same old, and Creighton is truly your top school, than a letter of interest/intent may be better.

None of these in and of themselves will secure you an interview but they definitely don't hurt. They let Creighton/interviewers know that you are serious about attending Creighton and have continued to pursue avenues of personal growth.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is something meaningful to add, I'd advise updating your application. Semester grades, new clinical experiences, recent research activity, etc. are all great things to update the admission committee on! If you've kept doing the same old same old, and Creighton is truly your top school, than a letter of interest/intent may be better.

None of these in and of themselves will secure you an interview but they definitely don't hurt. They let Creighton/interviewers know that you are serious about attending Creighton and have continued to pursue avenues of personal growth.

Thank you for the advice! When sending an LOI should I upload it to the portal or should I send it via email?

Thank you for the advice! When sending an LOI should I upload it to the portal or should I send it via email?

I'd check the portal. Its been a bit of time since I applied but I thought there was a upload option for updates and such.

Acceptance email this morning! Interviewed 10/26.

First acceptance of the cycle!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone remember when they said you should expect to hear back if you interviewed early November?

+3, OOS LM 75 complete 8/20... might send an update soon as well. Do you have any advice as to what the committee is looking for in regards to updates?

Does anyone remember when they said you should expect to hear back if you interviewed early November?

checked my notes from the presentation they gave during my interview (Nov 9th) and they said that their committee meeting is on dec 13th so to expect an email by Dec 17! Not sure if that's when you interviewed but hopefully that'll give you a good estimate :)

Have faith in your application and keep in mind Creighton interviews pretty late (I believe into march) so there are still a ton of interview spots out there. If you are a current student, send in an update at the end of the Fall with your grades and any additional information you have on research, service, work, etc. Creighton seems to like updates as 1. a show of continued interest and 2. demonstration that your not trying to coast into med school. Interviewers will get the updates submitted as well so they can see your progress!

Thanks for this information. Do you know if admission prefers us to email them the letter, or upload them through the portal?

Reactions: 1 users
checked my notes from the presentation they gave during my interview (Nov 9th) and they said that their committee meeting is on dec 13th so to expect an email by Dec 17! Not sure if that's when you interviewed but hopefully that'll give you a good estimate :)
yeah i think I interviewed the week after but that definitely helps! Thanks! GOOD LUCK this week!!

Thanks for this information. Do you know if admission prefers us to email them the letter, or upload them through the portal?

I believe when I applied there was an online submission portal to upload updates on.
I am not sure if the admissions portal has changed since, but I would assume if there was an update portal than that is what you should use.

Creighton's update system is very different--it's not a letter. Go check out the portal, they've broken it down into categories and want specifics...

Sorry that happened to you! Best of luck moving forward. Stay hopeful!

I think some people said they portal changed when they got in. Did it say you were accepted when you clicked on the "view status"? My "Thank you for visiting... " message is gone. So I don't know if that means I wasn't accepted.. or maybe I am just being neurotic haha (Post II). Has anyone else seen this??

I think some people said they portal changed when they got in. Did it say you were accepted when you clicked on the "view status"? My "Thank you for visiting... " message is gone. So I don't know if that means I wasn't accepted.. or maybe I am just being neurotic haha (Post II). Has anyone else seen this??
Same thing happened with me. The "thank you for visiting" message was there on Wednesday but not today. Also interviewed on 11/9.

Accepted!! Interviewed November 9th. No email yet so check your portals y’all

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!!! I’m so excited!! (Interviewed November 9th)

Does anyone know if Creighton offers merit scholarships??

Creighton does NOT give Merit scholarships. Most med schools don’t! Congrats to all of you future Blue Jays!

Creighton does NOT give Merit scholarships. Most med schools don’t! Congrats to all of you future Blue Jays!
Darn. Do you know if its possible to get any institutional financial aid?

Thanks!

As far as I am aware there are only MD/PHD (through MSTP) and military scholarships. Other than that there is NO need-based at Creighton. That is the case for most institutions. One of the harsh realities of being a med student is the massive time and monetary constraints of which you will be placed under. Best of luck to all of you!

Darn. Do you know if its possible to get any institutional financial aid?

Thanks!

So, just a brutally honest take on medical school finances.

My understanding is that, like the vast majority of private med schools, there is very little funding for medical school students. I believe there are some, but very few scholarships for incoming students under the diversity scholarship. There are additional scholarship opportunities between M1>M2 and M2>M3 however I'm not sure exactly how much it is worth. I would not expect to receive need-based financial aid at Creighton, or at any other school of comparable stature. You will be expected, as it is the norm at Creighton and at the vast majority of other medical schools I interviewed at/ have friends at, to take out federal/private loans to pay for your education. With this being said it is not at all unrealistic to envision graduating with 300k+ in debt. There are a number of repayment plans that you will learn about as a part of your physician and lifestyle management course here. There is the PSLF where working for a qualified non-profit organization for 10 years can result in complete student loan forgiveness, however the future viability of this program is influenced by politics and can always change.

While the financial cost of med school is significant, physicians are fortunate enough to enjoy a relatively high income in comparison to most professions/ careers so the debt is manageable given one makes prudent financial decisions. I know many doctors who graduated with 300k+ in debt being debt free just a few years later.

Like stated before, MD/PHD receive funding. I have many classmates who are HPSP and will graduate with med school paid for. If you are interested in primary care, than I'd implore you to look into the NHSC scholarship program.

The vast majority of students also do not work and trust me you don't want to have a part time job, the time and effort spent making what is likely a low wage wouldn't be worth the academic opportunity cost.There are tutoring opportunities at creighton however you will basically be earning some pocket money for going out or buying food.

There are serious financial realities going to med school and the debt that comes with it. You should be money-wise if given the opportunity. Be realistic with the lifestyle you choose to live as you can easily live in Omaha for far under the quoted cost of attendance. Consider instate public schools if there is a large cost differential or going to a school that offers you financial assistance if you are fortunate enough to receive it.

With this all being said, Creighton is an awesome school and I think my education here is probably the best investment I'll ever make.

Reactions: 3 users
Would you mind briefly going over why you chose Creighton over other schools? You seem to really like it there.

My understanding is that, like the vast majority of private med schools, there is very little funding for medical school students. I believe there are some, but very few scholarships for incoming students under the diversity scholarship. There are additional scholarship opportunities between M1>M2 and M2>M3 however I'm not sure exactly how much it is worth. I would not expect to receive need-based financial aid at Creighton, or at any other school of comparable stature. You will be expected, as it is the norm at Creighton and at the vast majority of other medical schools I interviewed at/ have friends at, to take out federal/private loans to pay for your education. With this being said it is not at all unrealistic to envision graduating with 300k+ in debt. There are a number of repayment plans that you will learn about as a part of your physician and lifestyle management course here. There is the PSLF where working for a qualified non-profit organization for 10 years can result in complete student loan forgiveness, however the future viability of this program is influenced by politics and can always change.

While the financial cost of med school is significant, physicians are fortunate enough to enjoy a relatively high income in comparison to most professions/ careers so the debt is manageable given one makes prudent financial decisions. I know many doctors who graduated with 300k+ in debt being debt free just a few years later.

Like stated before, MD/PHD receive funding. I have many classmates who are HPSP and will graduate with med school paid for. If you are interested in primary care, than I'd implore you to look into the NHSC scholarship program.

The vast majority of students also do not work and trust me you don't want to have a part time job, the time and effort spent making what is likely a low wage wouldn't be worth the academic opportunity cost.There are tutoring opportunities at creighton however you will basically be earning some pocket money for going out or buying food.

There are serious financial realities going to med school and the debt that comes with it. You should be money-wise if given the opportunity. Be realistic with the lifestyle you choose to live as you can easily live in Omaha for far under the quoted cost of attendance. Consider instate public schools if there is a large cost differential or going to a school that offers you financial assistance if you are fortunate enough to receive it.

With this all being said, Creighton is an awesome school and I think my education here is probably the best investment I'll ever make.

Would you mind briefly going over why you chose Creighton over other schools? You seem to really like it there.

Honestly it was really more of a feeling of comfort/ the lack of competition and malignancy. Creighton wasn't my only MD choice, and i'm not from Omaha.
Reasons I chose Creighton came down to the following:
1. Interview day was the most enjoyable. Students seemed the least miserable of any school I interviewed at. Let's just state the obvious, med school is rough and you'll likely hate life at times no matter where you go. I have them, and all my friends at other med schools have that feeling from time to time. But I personally found students at creighton to be relatively happy, and as a student I'd say im much happier on average than my friends at other places.
2. I like that Creighton doesn't rank on grades. Literally no one gives a damn if you get an 76 or 86. Sure everyone wants to honor which is a distinction for the top 10%, but the fact that the other 90% can all pass and not have to worry about where they rank in that passing level is super nice. Makes life going into a final much more relaxed because its super realistic to head into a final only needing a 50% to pass the course your in. I also find this fact to make creighton very collegiate and cooperative. Group studying/ sharing notes and stuff is super common. We share quizlets, anki-decks, study guides etc. Not to say other schools don't do it, just like the non-competitive/ cooperative environment it fosters.
3. Not coming from Omaha, I liked the idea of being able to go to Phoenix for clinical. (although I personally will be staying in Omaha.)
4. I liked the idea of going to a place that had brand new facilities. Bergan Mercy (omaha hospital) is basically brand new after the recent expansion and upgrades.
5. I really liked Omaha alot more than i thought. Enough here to keep me busy, movie theaters, bars, nice restaurant scene, lively sports city, theaters for plays, major musicians roll in from time to time. Plus cost of living is crazy cheap. You can share a house for 500 a month or less, or have a nice downtown apartment that'd cost 2k+ in a city like chicago/NYC for about 1k.
6. Lectures are optional. That works great for me as someone who likes to sleep in a bit longer. So with the exception of maybe 1 day a week I can sleep in to 10 rather than trying to be at 8am lecture every morning.

Those were reasons coming in. Having been here for going on my second year, I also like that
1. administration is very receptive and tries to be transparent. Ex, we have "course" that details past grade distributions for a course, critical feedback from students of the course, and the action plan set in motion to address that concern. We have small group lunch discussions with the dean/ associate deans where we can ask questions and voice concerns directly. There is also a challenge system put in place in the event that students believe exam material is not fair that we can challenge/ ask for clarification on a quiz/exam question. There have been several instances where we've gotten points back from this so its nice to know our concerns are taken seriously.
2. professors are awesome and physicians affiliated are super receptive. Want to shadow something in your time off? Just email a professor. I've shadowed a ton of doctors at Bergan this way, just shooting off emails. Want to see if a doctor has research you can get in on, just send an email. The vast majority of the time, at least in my experience, the docs will reply and help you out. Everyone here legit wants you to succeed.

I know you asked for brief, but this is about as brief as I go. If you have any questions regarding Creighton, I'd be happy to answer

Reactions: 5 users

Thank you so much for your input! It's honestly so scary to think about the debt. All of my medical school acceptances are private. I'm working two jobs and am very cost conscious, but am definitely not saving as much as I would like, mostly because gap year jobs (ie. scribing) do not pay a lot. However, I am VERY grateful for my acceptances, and I hope to be able to pay off my debt in bulk.

Honestly it was really more of a feeling of comfort/ the lack of competition and malignancy. Creighton wasn't my only MD choice, and i'm not from Omaha.
Reasons I chose Creighton came down to the following:
1. Interview day was the most enjoyable. Students seemed the least miserable of any school I interviewed at. Let's just state the obvious, med school is rough and you'll likely hate life at times no matter where you go. I have them, and all my friends at other med schools have that feeling from time to time. But I personally found students at creighton to be relatively happy, and as a student I'd say im much happier on average than my friends at other places.
2. I like that Creighton doesn't rank on grades. Literally no one gives a damn if you get an 76 or 86. Sure everyone wants to honor which is a distinction for the top 10%, but the fact that the other 90% can all pass and not have to worry about where they rank in that passing level is super nice. Makes life going into a final much more relaxed because its super realistic to head into a final only needing a 50% to pass the course your in. I also find this fact to make creighton very collegiate and cooperative. Group studying/ sharing notes and stuff is super common. We share quizlets, anki-decks, study guides etc. Not to say other schools don't do it, just like the non-competitive/ cooperative environment it fosters.
3. Not coming from Omaha, I liked the idea of being able to go to Phoenix for clinical. (although I personally will be staying in Omaha.)
4. I liked the idea of going to a place that had brand new facilities. Bergan Mercy (omaha hospital) is basically brand new after the recent expansion and upgrades.
5. I really liked Omaha alot more than i thought. Enough here to keep me busy, movie theaters, bars, nice restaurant scene, lively sports city, theaters for plays, major musicians roll in from time to time. Plus cost of living is crazy cheap. You can share a house for 500 a month or less, or have a nice downtown apartment that'd cost 2k+ in a city like chicago/NYC for about 1k.
6. Lectures are optional. That works great for me as someone who likes to sleep in a bit longer. So with the exception of maybe 1 day a week I can sleep in to 10 rather than trying to be at 8am lecture every morning.

Those were reasons coming in. Having been here for going on my second year, I also like that
1. administration is very receptive and tries to be transparent. Ex, we have "course" that details past grade distributions for a course, critical feedback from students of the course, and the action plan set in motion to address that concern. We have small group lunch discussions with the dean/ associate deans where we can ask questions and voice concerns directly. There is also a challenge system put in place in the event that students believe exam material is not fair that we can challenge/ ask for clarification on a quiz/exam question. There have been several instances where we've gotten points back from this so its nice to know our concerns are taken seriously.
2. professors are awesome and physicians affiliated are super receptive. Want to shadow something in your time off? Just email a professor. I've shadowed a ton of doctors at Bergan this way, just shooting off emails. Want to see if a doctor has research you can get in on, just send an email. The vast majority of the time, at least in my experience, the docs will reply and help you out. Everyone here legit wants you to succeed.

I know you asked for brief, but this is about as brief as I go. If you have any questions regarding Creighton, I'd be happy to answer

Thanks for the reply! Regarding the "balance" students and faculty emphasize during the interview day, do you feel like that holds pretty true for most students? Are you constantly studying with a fear of falling behind like some people I know at other medical schools or do you have ample time to volunteer, shadow, do extracurricular activities, etc.?

I would say that at Creighton you are able to find the “balance” you crave as long as you have good time management skills. I know people (such as myself) who are heavily involved and those who basically only study all hours of the day. I would say that finding a happy medium is a good idea since just studying leads to a rather boring lifestyle. Out of the nearly 170 people in my class, most people are able to party, go out to dinner, go to the zoo, etc. are able to do whatever they want on the weekends. Overal, I can tell you that I am MUCH happier than my friends who are at Georgetown, Boston U, etc. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for the reply! Regarding the "balance" students and faculty emphasize during the interview day, do you feel like that holds pretty true for most students? Are you constantly studying with a fear of falling behind like some people I know at other medical schools or do you have ample time to volunteer, shadow, do extracurricular activities, etc.?

Like DoctorDragon22 said, Yes tons of balance. With the exception of maybe 3-4 days preceding an exam when im hitting the books pretty hard, I have plenty of time to go to gym, movies, go out to sports games, go out to bars, travel out of state to see family, you name it. I find this to be especially true if you watch lectures online, because, with the exception of a few mandatory events a week, I'm not tied down to a schedule. I personally have time to sleep in 4 or 5 days days a week with the exception of quiz/TBL days which start at 8 am. I go out to a bar or at least hang out with friends every weekend, Probably fly to another state to visit friends, family, significant other at least once a month. I try to both volunteer and shadow at least once every 1-2 months and have dabbled in small research projects. There's plenty of time if you stay up to date with lecture. I have friends who play up to 2-3 IM sports a semester for their "balance." Our classmates put on group cycling classes, yoga sessions, and arrange social events fairly regularly ranging from sporting events to clubs/bar hops, to dancing lessons.

I personally have less stress now than I did during undergrad. I'd say on average I study around 8-10 hours a day M-F and try to about 2-4 hours a week on the weekend days. That probably breaks down to 2 hours of anki, 4-6 hours of physeo/pathoma/ First Aid and 2 hours of skimming the days lectures at 2.5-3 times speed. For the weekends I try to just keep up with my anki reviews or i'll spend time reviewing a concept I got hung up on.
During days leading up to an exam, this gets kicked up to probably 12-14 hours of "attempted" studying per day, meaning time spent at the library or in a study room.
I find that to be very doable workload and have never been in fear of failing a class. Even at 10 hours a day, 8-10 hours of sleep (i prize my sleep). I still have at least 4 hours to workout, netflix, eat/cook whatever.

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer :)

Thank you so much for your input! It's honestly so scary to think about the debt. All of my medical school acceptances are private. I'm working two jobs and am very cost conscious, but am definitely not saving as much as I would like, mostly because gap year jobs (ie. scribing) do not pay a lot. However, I am VERY grateful for my acceptances, and I hope to be able to pay off my debt in bulk.

You will likely get financial aid talks (aka how to manage your debt) at whatever school you go to. Key is to try to just be conscious of your expenditures. Meal prep so you don't feel the need to buy food elsewhere, don't go to the swankiest apt you can find, etc. Debt is serious but if you are money conscious and don't immediately buy a million dollar house and new porsche upon becoming an attending, you'll be just fine.

Do I need to email admissions after submitting an update on the portal pre II?