2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Dartmouth plane gave me a near-death experience and a new perspective on life. Highly recommend

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost M2 at Geisel here! Let me know if you have any questions about the application process, etc!

Good luck!

Almost M2 at Geisel here! Let me know if you have any questions about the application process, etc!

Good luck!
Thanks! What are your thoughts on life at Dartmouth's location?

Thanks! What are your thoughts on life at Dartmouth's location?
Coming from a city, it has it's charms. There's tons of outdoor activities to do all year, but there aren't a ton of restaurants, etc. Fortunately, the coach is relatively cheap and takes you to NYC and Boston, so you can get your fix if you want. I feel that the quiet is conducive to my studies, but some may find it boring.

Reactions: 2 users
Coming from a city, it has it's charms. There's tons of outdoor activities to do all year, but there aren't a ton of restaurants, etc. Fortunately, the coach is relatively cheap and takes you to NYC and Boston, so you can get your fix if you want. I feel that the quiet is conducive to my studies, but some may find it boring.

As a medical student is there much opportunity to travel to those cities? I guess that's not really a Dartmouth specific question lol

Good luck!
What are some values/buzz words you've heard around campus during this past year? What is most unique or special about Geisel to you?

Reactions: 1 user
As a medical student is there much opportunity to travel to those cities? I guess that's not really a Dartmouth specific question lol
There's the dartmouth coach that has daily routes to those 2 cities for a pretty good price. My classmates take it all the time to visit.

@wanderingorion Why is Dartmouth's average stats lower than other elite institutions? Is there a certain type of applicant you guys look for or a certain mission you adhere to?

@wanderingorion Why is Dartmouth's average stats lower than other elite institutions? Is there a certain type of applicant you guys look for or a certain mission you adhere to?

Dartmouth tends to favor non-traditional students, so that could explain the low stats. I would suggest visiting the website to get a better sense of the school's beliefs/mission/values. Many med-school websites are pretty uninformative, but Dartmouth really does a good job with theirs.

I've heard the med school isn't as good/prestigious as the undergrad.

That's true, especially since it's undergrad is so well known! However, Geisel is still a phenomenal school!

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck!

Are hospitals and the patient populations relatively limited in Dartmouth area?

What are some values/buzz words you've heard around campus during this past year? What is most unique or special about Geisel to you?
Hmm, I find that the small class size lends itself to a very close community at Geisel. And despite how small this area feels, there is tons of stuff to do here and get involved in. Everyone's interests can be pursued.
Now for values/buzzwords, I've noticed that wellness has been a new focus of the faculty here, which is helpful. Also, the faculty is very receptive to feedback regarding our courses, and really listen to our class reps.

Dartmouth tends to favor non-traditional students, so that could explain the low stats. I would suggest visiting the website to get a better sense of the school's beliefs/mission/values. Many med-school websites are pretty uninformative, but Dartmouth really does a good job with theirs.

That's true, especially since it's undergrad is so well known! However, Geisel is still a phenomenal school!

I agree! Their website is like miles ahead of many of the other schools on my list!

Am technically a non-trad but most non-trads probably wouldn't consider me a non-trad (single gap year, just graduated), but applying! :) Good luck to everyone.

I agree! Their website is like miles ahead of many of the other schools on my list!

Am technically a non-trad but most non-trads probably wouldn't consider me a non-trad (single gap year, just graduated), but applying! :) Good luck to everyone.
They also like people with an interest in rural medicine FYI (as per my consultation that I had about improving my app from last year). So if that helps anybody with secondaries.

I'm so excited to be applying to Dartmouth this cycle! As someone who has gotten the large, Big 10 school experience, I would love to be in a more rural area with a small class size so I can get both experiences. I know that Dartmouth likes non-traditional students -- I will be applying as a traditional student, but with some unique passions and leadership experiences outside of medicine. In other words, I don't think I'm a cookie-cutter pre-med student in a lot of ways. Do you think a traditional path would disadvantage me? Are there any specific qualities that Dartmouth looks for in potential students beyond what is listed on their website? I feel that I would be extremely happy at this school, but am hoping that they see me as someone they'd be happy to have, too.

I'm so excited to be applying to Dartmouth this cycle! As someone who has gotten the large, Big 10 school experience, I would love to be in a more rural area with a small class size so I can get both experiences. I know that Dartmouth likes non-traditional students -- I will be applying as a traditional student, but with some unique passions and leadership experiences outside of medicine. In other words, I don't think I'm a cookie-cutter pre-med student in a lot of ways. Do you think a traditional path would disadvantage me? Are there any specific qualities that Dartmouth looks for in potential students beyond what is listed on their website? I feel that I would be extremely happy at this school, but am hoping that they see me as someone they'd be happy to have, too.

Hey hniel15. I'm an rising 3rd yr "traditional student"at Geisel. I think my class is maybe around 75-25 in favor of non-trads but I don't think being traditional will "hurt" you. They definitely look for a lot of non-medical experience I think and they tend to emphasize compassion highly.

Hey hniel15. I'm an rising 3rd yr "traditional student"at Geisel. I think my class is maybe around 75-25 in favor of non-trads but I don't think being traditional will "hurt" you. They definitely look for a lot of non-medical experience I think and they tend to emphasize compassion highly.

Would you say a single gap year applicant is traditional or non-traditional in this classification? Obviously technically not a non-traditional but would think that they would be closer to the traditional in terms of experiences and "real-world" experience.

Would you say a single gap year applicant is traditional or non-traditional in this classification? Obviously technically not a non-traditional but would think that they would be closer to the traditional in terms of experiences and "real-world" experience.

I can tell you that the former dean of admissions called that the "new traditional" route. They don't consider a few gap years to be nontraditional here.

Is the rural program something they push or is it somewhat of an after thought?

During orientation, there are presentations on "health scholar" groups, urban/rural/etc., that you can get involved in. Apart from that, rural health is discussed in classes, but it's not really something at the forefront of our education up to this point.
It's not something they "push," but there are plenty of opportunities to get involved if you're interested.

To any former/current students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

To any former/current students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

From what I have seen, very collaborative. However, I heard that the class above me isn't kind to each other so it might vary from year to year

Cool thanks, do you know how cut off the med school is from their undergrad?

Np!

Physically it's the north most point of the campus so still "on campus". The hospital is about a 7 min drive away.

In terms of administration it's almost entirely separate

I just meant, how much can you 'mingle' with it if you wanna, like IM sports, use the same library, be an undergrad mentor

My Lord. This is such a callous, socially unacceptable, pre-med thing to say in this thread given the presence of an M1. Some of these comments are absolutely mind blowing.

Reactions: 8 users
My Lord. This is such a callous, socially unacceptable, pre-med thing to say in this thread given the presence of an M1. Some of these comments are absolutely mind blowing.
???
That's truthfully what I have heard. It doesn't mean it isn't a good med school...

By "a few": how many years do you need between undergrad and medicine to be "nontraditional"? How "traditional" is a Math major with two gap years?

Ya'll can chill with the binary trad/non-trad questions. It's a spectrum. No one in any admissions office is checking a box on that.

Reactions: 5 users
Ya'll can chill with the binary trad/non-trad questions. It's a spectrum. No one in any admissions office is checking a box on that.
I can understand their concern. It’s not really just coincidence that this school admits mostly non trads, so logically it would make sense for there to be some metric related to that

I can understand their concern. It’s not really just coincidence that this school admits mostly non trads, so logically it would make sense for there to be some metric related to that
Maybe it's explained by the idea that "nontrads" have more interesting and diverse experiences on average.

I guess I sit somewhere in the middle on the spectrum between traditional and nontrad students lol. Mildly older in my mid-20s by the time I matriculate with an interesting life story, but with no prior career/wife/kids.

EDIT: While there's no focus on strict rural medicine, is there one for primary care in general?

Last edited:
I am currently prewriting my secondary answers and was wondering if any current students had some pointers for "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file." I feel like it is a very open ended question and any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am currently prewriting my secondary answers and was wondering if any current students had some pointers for "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file." I feel like it is a very open ended question and any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
small tip: If it isn't mandatory, don't feel like you have to say anything at all!

This is not a question about how admissions looks at non-trads vs trads from an admissions standpoint.

My question is how is the living and learning dynamic between the large percentage of older students and the minority "traditional"/1-2 gap year students? Is there a huge division in terms of how people socialize and study or does everyone get along pretty well?

I used mine as a "Why Geisel?"

Reactions: 4 users
This is not a question about how admissions looks at non-trads vs trads from an admissions standpoint.

My question is how is the living and learning dynamic between the large percentage of older students and the minority "traditional"/1-2 gap year students? Is there a huge division in terms of how people socialize and study or does everyone get along pretty well?

TBH, there is a gap between who people hang out with but only natural imo. If you have children or a spouse, most likely you won't be going to parties with the younger students. And if you're a younger student, you probably won't be going to family gatherings of older students.

That's not to say people aren't friendly to each other but the learning dynamic is actually better! People bring in experiences from all over. EX we have a pharmacist and couple nurses in our class who are extremely helpful in tough subjects

Rising M2 here!

By many metrics this is true (average LizzyM score, US News ranking), but check out our match lists from the past few years. They certainly aren't at the HMS/Penn level, but are on par with or better than many schools in the #20-30 range on US News. Also consider also that Dartmouth attracts a lot of students interested in rural medicine, public health (TDI is legendary), and apparently is one of the best places to be if you're interested in global health. A large chunk of our already small class are people who are not really gunning for sub-specialties in big cities. Yet, every year plenty of people match to tippy-top residencies.

Check out the match lists here: Residency Matches

Are hospitals and the patient populations relatively limited in Dartmouth area?

I haven't gotten onto the wards yet, but my impression is that yes, this is one of the biggest drawbacks to coming here. There is a lot of economic diversity, and there is diversity of pathology because DHMC is the referral hospital for a large chunk of the northeast... but we serve mostly white people. This can be counter-balanced by joining groups that take trips to different cities throughout the year, and doing away rotations during M3/4, but it's definitely going to be a different experience than you'd get doing rotations at a county hospital in NYC. I feel like this is likely a bigger factor when it comes to choosing a residency, but it's definitely something to consider.

That said, one of my favorite things about Dartmouth is the hospital - at least from my perspective as a pre-clinical student, it's the most benign place imaginable. I have heard the advice repeated by several residents - "if you think you want to go into surgery, do away rotations because everyone here is friendly and you might not get a sense of what you're actually getting yourself into". Maybe I've gotten lucky, maybe things will be different M3 when expectations are higher of me... but so far I've gotten nothing but love from everyone from the housekeeping staff to nurses to attendings and heads of departments. People are just nicer here - I drive to Boston often and can always feel my blood pressure rise by 10 points as soon as I cross into city limits.

Last edited:

Can't speak for all years of course, but my classmates literally compete with each other to try to be the most helpful. People one-up each other by sharing better notes, study guides and Anki decks on the class Facebook group. I don't know what will happen come M3 when we have actual grades, but at least for M1 the atmosphere could not possibly have been more collaborative.

What do you like least about Dartmouth? :shifty:

We could have less required class. During M1 we typically had at least 1-2 hours of required stuff each day. Not terrible, but it did mean I couldn't hit the ski slopes until noon some days...

Rising M2 here!
, and apparently is one of the best places to be if you're interested in global health. .
Speak your wisdom unto me. I'm really interested in global health, I haven't seen much to indicate this was a strength of Dartmouth's and I was really looking too. I want to believe!

We could have less required class. During M1 we typically had at least 1-2 hours of required stuff each day. Not terrible, but it did mean I couldn't hit the ski slopes until noon some days...
Thats ****ING AWESOME! I love skiing!

Speak your wisdom unto me. I'm really interested in global health, I haven't seen much to indicate this was a strength of Dartmouth's and I was really looking too. I want to believe!

This is second-hand information and hearsay - I don't really know who the big players are and the specifics of who gives out how much funding. But it seems like a few people each year spend their M1-M2 summer doing global health projects funded by the Center for Health Equity. You may have already come across this if you've been googling: Global Health at Dartmouth | News About Global Health Initiatives at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

Here is a plug for one of my badass classmates who is in Peru right now thanks in part at least to funding from Dartmouth: Click here to support Q'eros Botanical Catalog Project organized by Patrick Tolosky
-- his email is listed on the GoFundMe page, and I bet he would be happy to talk about his experience with you!

I've wanted to go to Dartmouth since high school. Are they more forgiving in terms of GPA? I noticed that they have a 10th percentile in the 3.3 range which is where I'm currently sitting. I scored a 525 on the MCAT and am a bit of a nontrad so I am wondering if it's even worth applying here. Would love some feedback!

I've wanted to go to Dartmouth since high school. Are they more forgiving in terms of GPA? I noticed that they have a 10th percentile in the 3.3 range which is where I'm currently sitting. I scored a 525 on the MCAT and am a bit of a nontrad so I am wondering if it's even worth applying here. Would love some feedback!
With a 525, it's definitely worth applying. Make sure to tell your story as a non-trad well and I think you have a solid shot!