Sep 20, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
They just got me good with an "Admission notes from Dartmouth Geisel..." email. My heart almost stopped. Touché Dartmouth. Keep em coming
yep lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ancora imparo
Sep 12, 2018
for anyone who's interviewed here already - did any part of the interview day (or tour) require you to be outdoors? asking as a southerner who (extremely) under packed for my first interview in the Northeast! thanks!

Reactions: richiexrich

treesnm3s

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
for anyone who's interviewed here already - did any part of the interview day (or tour) require you to be outdoors? asking as a southerner who (extremely) under packed for my first interview in the Northeast! thanks!
Yep. During the tour, we waited outside a bit for the shuttle. You may also have to go outside to go to another building for an interview.

Jun 2, 2018
thanks, thats helpful - what about the tour itself though? was it an outdoor door or mainly inside buildings?
There’s an optional tour at the end of the day of the Hanover campus-it was a mostly indoor tour but you do have to walk between buildings. On my interview day, it was raining and they provided everyone with umbrellas

Reactions: cleanbench20

wontonsoup

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2016
Status
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's basically a pretty thorough overview of Dartmouth's admissions procedures. Some notes I felt were particularly interesting:

1. An Admissions Committee Subcommittee (Chair and approximately 3 admissions officers and as needed with the assistance of experienced admission “readers”) will screen all completed applications. This subcommittee will directly invite approximately 475 candidates meeting predetermined criteria for interview. From the remaining pool of applications, approximately 1,200 applications will be selected for further review by Admissions Committee Subcommittees.

2. Each subcommittee receives 11-12 packets of approximately 8 applications, with e-mail notification when a packet is ready for review. Each subcommittee can extend a predetermined number of invitations for interview. After review, subcommittee will record a decision to “invite”, “deny” or “hold”. Additionally, comments on the application can be recorded. A subcommittee must reach a final decision (invite or deny) on all applications marked “hold” before submission of the final decisions on applications in the packet.

So essentially, there is a "master" subcommittee that screens all the apps (MCAT/GPA/ECs/etc) and removes all but ~1700/6800 apps. Of those, about 1/4 are directly invited to interview (probably super high stats/URM/legacy) and the rest are passed onto "minor" subcommittees in 12 batches of 8 applications. Each batch of 8 application's decisions must be submitted all together. Each committee also has a limit on the number of interview invites they can send out in total. Pretty interesting stuff and I would be surprised if most other schools didn't have something at least somewhat similar.

Apr 17, 2017
Status
Rejected just now. OOS URM non-trad re-inventor complete 8/3. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: drsombra
Sep 12, 2018
for people who have interviewed here already: are there any local taxi companies you used and would recommend? i've been calling one all day and literally no one is picking up

Wahkoon

California Wavy
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
for people who have interviewed here already: are there any local taxi companies you used and would recommend? i've been calling one all day and literally no one is picking up
I don’t recall seeing any while I was there. Most people stayed close enough to walk, ride with hosts, or rented cars if needed. How far will you be traveling?

Sep 12, 2018
I don’t recall seeing any while I was there. Most people stayed close enough to walk, ride with hosts, or rented cars if needed. How far will you be traveling?
i need a ride from the school to the lebanon airport but no worries - i booked a ride with a local taxi company!

Jan 24, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I used P & P Twin State Taxi. It's a one man company, but he showed up right on time and was very friendly.

Reactions: cleanbench20
Sep 14, 2018
How should we send ITA requests to Dartmouth? Directly via email or upload to the portal as an “application update”?

djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2014
Status
Dartmouth receptive to ITA emails? Have 2 interviews in Boston and Hempstead in January and might as well try to get Dartmouth on board if they allow me :)

Feb 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got the R a few minutes ago. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Jan 24, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
does that mean everyone who interviews gets put on the waitlist?
Well, the director of admissions gave us a pretty thorough rundown of the structure of post-interview decisions. She said that all interviewees get an application "score". If this score is very high, it'll lead to an immediate acceptance, and if this score is very low, it'll lead to an immediate rejection.

That being said, I don't know what proportion of students have a score low enough to warrant an outright rejection post-interview.

Feb 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical