2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really like it here, but am wondering if anyone else had a stranger interview experience? I’ve had 6 interviews, but this was the only one where I felt like I was being questioned in a way that indicated I wasn’t supposed to really be there or was unqualified to be interviewing there. I mean, they invited me to interview, so it might’ve just been my imagination. I would love to come here, but don’t feel to optimistic after my interview.
Same here.... I left mine not even knowing how to feel about it. I’m honestly just waiting for the R at this point

Members don't see this ad.

I really like it here, but am wondering if anyone else had a stranger interview experience? I’ve had 6 interviews, but this was the only one where I felt like I was being questioned in a way that indicated I wasn’t supposed to really be there or was unqualified to be interviewing there. I mean, they invited me to interview, so it might’ve just been my imagination. I would love to come here, but don’t feel too optimistic after my interview.

I dont know if this helps, but when I interviewed there it felt like my interviewer and I were debating. There were a lot of "buts, howevers, and in additions." The topic was very very controversial. At one point, it felt like I was being lectured, but I countered by standing my ground and standing firm in my pov. I got accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew today, had an II a few weeks from now. Good luck all!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I felt this too, but only with one of my interviewers. The other was very positive. Could we have had the same person? DM if you'd like!

I had the same experience. My faculty interview felt like an exercise of "defend these weak parts of your application," while my student interview was more like "elaborate on these strong parts of your app."

Hi all!
Just received an II here yesterday and am sooo excited! I have to be in for two nights and therefore need to book a hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations on the cheapest hotels on the lists they gave us?
Thank you so much!!! =)

Hey unless you have a car you might want to stay at the Hanover Inn. It's on the pricier side (I paid like ~180) but not for the quality of the hotel. It's right where the coach drops you off. Since interview day starts so early I didn't want to risk having to schedule a taxi beforehand to get there on time and make it back to the coach post interview (it leaves at 4:30 and interview day ends at 4). Maybe someone stayed farther away without a car and can comment!

Recently, I was able to publish some research work. I know you can send updates about publications on the portal but I'm wondering what will look better just a general update with the work I did or a copy of the actual article in the journal. I really want to get an interview here lol.

Recently, I was able to publish some research work. I know you can send updates about publications on the portal but I'm wondering what will look better just a general update with the work I did or a copy of the actual article in the journal. I really want to get an interview here lol.

I posted an update of only my newly published research rather than a full on update and just got an interview this week. Worked once, might work again!

I posted an update of only my newly published research rather than a full on update and just got an interview this week. Worked once, might work again!
Congrats on the II. When you sent your update, was it more of a one-liner stating that you accomplished, or did you reiterate your interest in the school and/or the reasons why you feel you were a good fit?

Congrats on the II. When you sent your update, was it more of a one-liner stating that you accomplished, or did you reiterate your interest in the school and/or the reasons why you feel you were a good fit?
It was more than just a one liner- it included a brief description into the actual published paper itself and how it relates to medicine. I didn’t reiterate my interest in the school or why I may be a good fit, but I think that would be an excellent thing to add!

It was more than just a one liner- it included a brief description into the actual published paper itself and how it relates to medicine. I didn’t reiterate my interest in the school or why I may be a good fit, but I think that would be an excellent thing to add!
Great, thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
This post interview wait is hella long :yeahright:

Secondary today..lol

Wowww thats pretty slow
To be fully honest though they never did send me a secondary until today when they told me that my file was not complete, then the second portion of that email was a link to the portal and instructions to obtain a password.

To be fully honest though they never did send me a secondary until today when they told me that my file was not complete, then the second portion of that email was a link to the portal and instructions to obtain a password.
Well ya got one at least!

4. Is there anyone in your immediate family who is a graduate of Dartmouth? (Note: You do not need to list yourself if you are a Dartmouth College graduate.) Please list below with class, relationship, and school affiliation (i.e., Dartmouth College, Geisel School, Thayer School, Tuck School).

-For this prompt, if I have an uncle who completed his fellowship at Dartmouth (Geisel) and is currently one of the head cardiologists there; can I include this here? Would it be helpful in your opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like it here, but am wondering if anyone else had a stranger interview experience? I’ve had 6 interviews, but this was the only one where I felt like I was being questioned in a way that indicated I wasn’t supposed to really be there or was unqualified to be interviewing there. I mean, they invited me to interview, so it might’ve just been my imagination. I would love to come here, but don’t feel too optimistic after my interview.

Same here.... I left mine not even knowing how to feel about it. I’m honestly just waiting for the R at this point

I felt this too, but only with one of my interviewers. The other was very positive. Could we have had the same person? DM if you'd like!

I had the same experience. My faculty interview felt like an exercise of "defend these weak parts of your application," while my student interview was more like "elaborate on these strong parts of your app."

hey all! could you DM me who your interviewer was. I may have had the same one last year and I'm a student here so I would probably not worry about it too much. the interviewers are really only looking for fit and for red flags at this point if you were chosen for an interview.

This happend to me as well.

Lol so just found a II from Dec 2nd! Not sure how it slipped through, but glad I caught it! Dates available were Jan 3rd and Jan 31st, complete mid-ish July.

For those of you that got rejected without an email pre-II, where on the portal did you find that?

For those who already attended the interview - did any of you fly to Lebanon airport straight? Dartmouth says on their portal that they don't recommend it, but flying there takes significant less time than flying to BOS and taking the Dartmouth coach (4h vs 7.5h total travel time for me)

For those who already attended the interview - did any of you fly to Lebanon airport straight? Dartmouth says on their portal that they don't recommend it, but flying there takes significant less time than flying to BOS and taking the Dartmouth coach (4h vs 7.5h total travel time for me)
Trust me, don't take the flight. It was not a pleasant experience. Bumpy like a roller coaster.

Trust me, don't take the flight. It was not a pleasant experience. Bumpy like a roller coaster.
Haha thanks for the quick reply. I would really prefer the flight because it cuts the travel time by so much. I am not sure how small this plane is but I have been on a 40-passenger plane before and it was alright. My main concern is for the flight to be cancelled, as they mentioned on their portal...

Haha thanks for the quick reply. I would really prefer the flight because it cuts the travel time by so much. I am not sure how small this plane is but I have been on a 40-passenger plane before and it was alright. My main concern is for the flight to be cancelled, as they mentioned on their portal...
40? I am talking about a 4-passenger plane.

upload_2018-12-19_10-57-50.png

Thanks, Dartmouth! I hope to see you too!

Lol, still waiting and hoping in utter and complete silence :)

EDIT: This is from the Dartmouth Institute, not the SOM. Don't freak out if you didn't get one of these emails!

Reactions: 1 users
I wish they would do post II rejections, I just want to know o_O

R today, 12/20. Complete 7/26. Good luck to everyone else!

Just got an interview! Out of State, LM 71. Complete in July

Reactions: 11 users

They do warn people not to travel that way for a reason. In the winter, it's high probably that your flight may get cancelled. This is an extremely tiny airport with tiny little Cessnas. I'd hate for you to be in a position where you end up missing your interview. Either fly into Boston and take the coach, or into Manchester and rent a car. Long travel times to and from campus are just an unfortunate fact of life because Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere.

Trust me in the winter it will probably be cancelled or pushed back anyways. Just take the Dartmouth coach. I was stranded in an airport last year flying home from Dartmouth. @GliaLimitans took the words right out of my mouth

Dartmouth takes foreverrrrrr. Come on SOM, I gave you a 100 now get with the deciding! Shame we can't do a credit card refund-due-to-services-not-rendered thing with med schools (or can we? :thinking:).