2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 Except I was complete early/mid August. Do they silent reject or have they already been rejecting a lot?

Seems like they actively reject. I don't know why they are holding unto my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They accept 270 people for a class of 90? Just how bad is their retention?

Lol its remote location might play a very small role in that. ;):laugh::laugh:

Though I personally don't care, show me some love Dartmouth!

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like everyone had open-file interviews? My faculty interview was closed file and he knew nothing about me..i was quite surprised and a little thrown off

Seems like everyone had open-file interviews? My faculty interview was closed file and he knew nothing about me..i was quite surprised and a little thrown off
That can happen if your original interviewer canceled to admissions office last minute and they had to scramble to find another interviewer. Or if your interviewer did not get around to reading your application bc life got in the way. Or, even if the med school adcom makes the file available, and most interviewers read the files, a few rogue interviewers believe in closed-file interviews. As an interviewer, I usually did in-depth open-file interviews, but once in a great while, one of those things happened to me and I did not know the interviewee's file all that well. I was always upfront with the interviewee so they knew they had to be explicit about things in their applications. And I always read their applications in depth before I gave my recs to the admissions committee. (Overall, I had great conversations with people in both open and closed file interviews, but I do prefer doing open-file).

That can happen if your original interviewer canceled to admissions office last minute and they had to scramble to find another interviewer. Or if your interviewer did not get around to reading your application bc life got in the way. Or, even if the med school adcom makes the file available, and most interviewers read the files, a few rogue interviewers believe in closed-file interviews. As an interviewer, I usually did in-depth open-file interviews, but once in a great while, one of those things happened to me and I did not know the interviewee's file all that well. I was always upfront with the interviewee so they knew they had to be explicit about things in their applications. And I always read their applications in depth before I gave my recs to the admissions committee. (Overall, I had great conversations with people in both open and closed file interviews, but I do prefer doing open-file).

Hijacking this a bit, if you're in the know do you know if those of us complete in August (or earlier) should expect to hear back anytime soon? The uncertainty in this process is killer. Not sure anyone really knows how things are done on the other side of the curtain. Thanks for the post--really good info to know.

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed early Jan.

Congrats! I also interviewed early Jan! Maybe we were the same day lol

I think every interviewer at Dartmouth has their own style, and they don't have any strict rules for formatting. My interviewer told me he intentionally had not yet looked at my file because that is how he likes to do the interview and he would look at it afterwards.

One of mine was closed file. My interviewer said she did closed file every other interview. I honestly didn't mind. We had a great conversation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, quite sure that's just a Facebook algorithm kicking in.

II today, complete mid-August -- there's still hope people!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone who was complete mid Sept hear back yet?
One advisee with LM 78, ORM, top UG school, strong research, got interviews at most of the T20 schools to which he applied (8 out of 10). Just got pre-II rejection from Dartmouth. Complete late-ish September. Not a great research fit for him there though, which I am sure did not help.

So to the extent that they are reading in any sort of order, they are past "mid-September". But there are many other factors at play at this point in terms of who they are choosing to interview at this point.

Reactions: 4 users
One advisee with LM 78, ORM, top UG school, strong research, got interviews at most of the T20 schools to which he applied (8 out of 10). Just got pre-II rejection from Dartmouth. Complete late-ish September. Not a great research fit for him there though, which I am sure did not help.

So to the extent that they are reading in any sort of order, they are past "mid-September". But there are many other factors at play at this point in terms of who they are choosing to interview at this point.

But I guess for everyone that has yet to be rejected, its still "no news is good news" right? Obviously, the number of IIs left is probably small but trying to cling onto some hope here!

And what do you mean by "not a good research fit"? From my understanding, Dartmouth does a bunch of research in many different areas!

Reactions: 1 users
But I guess for everyone that has yet to be rejected, its still "no news is good news" right? Obviously, the number of IIs left is probably small but trying to cling onto some hope here!

And what do you mean by "not a good research fit"? From my understanding, Dartmouth does a bunch of research in many different areas!
There are many great research opportunities at Dartmouth, but this student has a very specific, focused area of research that could not be supported by current mentors at Dartmouth. Most of the schools to which he applied were selected for their existence of a research mentor in that field, and Dartmouth was not one of my recommendations - but bc applying with a significant other, this was a compromise. He really could have applied MSTP even, but does not want to spend years solely in a lab. Will most certainly be MD physician-scientist though.

i just got off the phone with admissions and they said they're only half way through all the apps! she said they'll be extending IIs until march so i think for now, no news is good news :)

Reactions: 9 users
Interviewed in October and haven’t heard anything... I don’t really expect to be accepted but it’s been so long I just want an answer!

Same. Beginning of October for me. Does anyone know how many have been accepted thus far?

Newbie Question, will we be able to walk around in our dress shoes? There’s still snow on the ground and I’m not sure if they’ll hold up—any tips for an OOS’er haha?

II today here, complete mid-Oct OOS - really excited for the chance to come here - anyone have tips on how early to get there the day before (have another interview far away the day before, may need to reschedule), places to stay, etc?

II today here, complete mid-Oct OOS - really excited for the chance to come here - anyone have tips on how early to get there the day before (have another interview far away the day before, may need to reschedule), places to stay, etc?
Congrats! I actually had two advisees rejected pre-II today, both with LizzyM >75 and currently living in Northeast. So they are definitely being picky Leave plenty of time to travel there, given the unpredictable weather, and the fact that it is getting late in the interview season. It is absolutely beautiful, and if you need to get there early, there are some good airBnB's in the area. Some of the Dartmouth med students are doing away rotations and they rent out their space on airBnB. As for the question that someone asked about what shoes to wear - women can certainly get away with black weatherproof/snow boots esp with any kind of pants suit. Men it is a bit tougher - but if it is snowy, no one will be too judgy in the northeast.

Congrats! I actually had two advisees rejected pre-II today, both with LizzyM >75 and currently living in Northeast. So they are definitely being picky Leave plenty of time to travel there, given the unpredictable weather, and the fact that it is getting late in the interview season. It is absolutely beautiful, and if you need to get there early, there are some good airBnB's in the area. Some of the Dartmouth med students are doing away rotations and they rent out their space on airBnB. As for the question that someone asked about what shoes to wear - women can certainly get away with black weatherproof/snow boots esp with any kind of pants suit. Men it is a bit tougher - but if it is snowy, no one will be too judgy in the northeast.
Thank you for the quick reply! How is driving into the city? For example, coming in from the Philly/Baltimore area, vs. coming from New York. I am looking at trying to do like 8 hours of driving the day before, and am nervous :( Thanks for the good tip about airBnB!

Around 90 are in the facebook group. However, the facebook group has some current students in it. not sure how many
Also, a few accepted students aren't in the Facebook group. It's not a great way to guage acceptances.

I really wish they would use some other platform for these things rather than Big Broth- I mean Facebook. Maybe it's just me.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the quick reply! How is driving into the city? For example, coming in from the Philly/Baltimore area, vs. coming from New York. I am looking at trying to do like 8 hours of driving the day before, and am nervous :( Thanks for the good tip about airBnB!
I am originally from Philly and do not recommend having to make the drive from Philly to Dartmouth in one day - especially given the unpredictability of the weather this time of year. You might get lucky and have great weather, in which case, a young 'un can do it.

I am not from anywhere near Hanover, NH but do make the trip near there to go skiing and visit friends on occasion and have definitely had to pull over and stay in a Hampton Inn bc of crazy weather. And you will have to time your drive so as not to hit bad NYC traffic - going out of NYC anytime after about 230pm can lead to a nightmare of traffic in CT. Maybe you have some friends who live on the way with whom you can stay? Leaving from NY is much more doable even.

I drove from DC to Dartmouth in one day and it was absolutely terrible, I think I went a tad crazy on my way back. Break it up if you can or fly and take the coach!

Is anyone still waiting for an interview invite

Reactions: 15 users
II today, complete 07/19, update sent 09/15! Only dates available are in the 3rd week of Feb.

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone emailed the admissions office before? I was accepted in December and have emailed them twice with a few questions and never got a response
I had called and left a voicemail regarding some logistical questions, to which I received an e-mail the next day. Perhaps try this e-mail address, and then forward your previous questions. There might be different points of contact pre vs post acceptance?

[email protected]

Hope that helps!

Has anyone emailed the admissions office before? I was accepted in December and have emailed them twice with a few questions and never got a response

I emailed recently as well, and noticed they have not responded. Although, they used to respond previously.

Just withdrew my interview on the 19th here. Hopefully someone here will be getting some good news soon!

Reactions: 8 users
Withdrew from my interview on the 19th here. Flights from Cali are just too expensive to justify going this late in the cycle... Hoping that one of you will get it! Good luck everyone!

Withdrew from my interview on the 19th here. Flights from Cali are just too expensive to justify going this late in the cycle... Hoping that one of you will get it! Good luck everyone!
Do you know if the 19th is the last interview date?

Taken down to the basement of the Lubyanka this morning.
Complete late August.

Although, I do have to say, their rejection email is one of the more well-written that I have received.

II today. Available dates were late Feb and early Mar.

Reactions: 5 users