2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Some places it does, some places it doesn't...who knows lol
It seems as if they are going in order of completion date, but who knows

Reactions: 1 user
Does being complete have anything to do with it? I heard it does not.

Some places it does, some places it doesn't...who knows lol

It seems as if they are going in order of completion date, but who knows

I think it’s important to keep in mind that even if a school does go strictly by completion date (rather than stratifying apps before review by MCAT, GPA, location, UG school, etc), it doesn’t necessary mean that everyone will get interviews/rejections in that order.

Schools like Dartmouth might do an intial screen by complete date to identify what they consider to be their “top” candidates and then send out interviews. Perhaps they then re-review down the line to identify candidates of a specific category, might interview them or reject them if they know they will never interview them. For others, they might put in the “maybe” pile early on as part of the intial screen and then pull from that late in the cycle for the last month or so of interviews.

Nothing is straightforward and simple it seems behind medical adcom doors. Majority of schools probably have very complicated internal processes (committees, subcommittees, different priority tracks, etc) to handle their 10k+ apps.

And on a personal note, I’ve had complete silence from Dartmouth since mid-August and have sent multiple updates. No clue why they have kept my application away from the multiple rejection waves. In all likelihood, my rejection is coming in the next few days.

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone who has submitted an update did you just upload it to the portal or send an email? Or both?

Honestly, I have learned that no news honestly is way better than a rejection. During interview, they told us that they are still reading apps so don’t fret too much. Hold on! This process is almost over!
I think it’s important to keep in mind that even if a school does go strictly by completion date (rather than stratifying apps before review by MCAT, GPA, location, UG school, etc), it doesn’t necessary mean that everyone will get interviews/rejections in that order.

Schools like Dartmouth might do an intial screen by complete date to identify what they consider to be their “top” candidates and then send out interviews. Perhaps they then re-review down the line to identify candidates of a specific category, might interview them or reject them if they know they will never interview them. For others, they might put in the “maybe” pile early on as part of the intial screen and then pull from that late in the cycle for the last month or so of interviews.

Nothing is straightforward and simple it seems behind medical adcom doors. Majority of schools probably have very complicated internal processes (committees, subcommittees, different priority tracks, etc) to handle their 10k+ apps.

And on a personal note, I’ve had complete silence from Dartmouth since mid-August and have sent multiple updates. No clue why they have kept my application away from the multiple rejection waves. In all likelihood, my rejection is coming in the next few days.

pre ii R just now, complete mid aug
super bummed about this one but good luck to everyone still in it!

Members don't see this ad :)

I posted this earlier, but it might be useful to people who don't read earlier in the thread. Dartmouth was actually nice enough to release their entire admissions protocol (that or it got leaked lol). Here it is.

Of note:

"An Admissions Committee Subcommittee (Chair and approximately 3 admissions officers and as needed with the assistance of experienced admission “readers”) will screen all completed applications.
1. This subcommittee will directly invite approximately 475 candidates meeting predetermined criteria for interview.
2. From the remaining pool of applications, approximately 1,200 applications will be selected for further review by Admissions Committee Subcommittees.

Those candidates whose folders are not screened out will be reviewed by Subcommittees of the Admissions Committee in consideration of whether an invitation for interview should be extended.
1. Each subcommittee receives 11-12 packets of approximately 8 applications, with e-mail notification when a packet is ready for review.
2. Each subcommittee can extend a predetermined number of invitations for interview.
3. After review, subcommittee will record a decision to “invite”, “deny” or “hold”. Additionally, comments on the application can be recorded.
4. A subcommittee must reach a final decision (invite or deny) on all applications marked “hold” before submission of the final decisions on applications in the packet."

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II but will be turning it down due to travel. March 14 was the only date available. Hopefully it goes to someone here!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II but will be turning it down due to travel. March 14 was the only date available. Hopefully it goes to someone here!

Congrats for getting into your top choice school then! Really hoping to get an II here.

for people who have interviewed - does anyone remember when we'll hear back re: decision? I vaguely remember them saying something about "end of the cycle" but i'm not really sure when that would be

for people who have interviewed - does anyone remember when we'll hear back re: decision? I vaguely remember them saying something about "end of the cycle" but i'm not really sure when that would be
According to their website, the last interviews will be at the end of March. After that, they compile a ranked list of applicants that allows them to make decisions. If I were to guess, I'd say probably early-mid April at the earliest.

According to their website, the last interviews will be at the end of March. After that, they compile a ranked list of applicants that allows them to make decisions. If I were to guess, I'd say probably early-mid April at the earliest.
This sounds right but wow that seems so late to make a decision.

This sounds right but wow that seems so late to make a decision.
My student host from my interview said that he heard in late April & that this was his only acceptance that cycle. He was already signed up to do a master's degree program before he got dartmouth's decision lol.

R, complete September but this is the nicest rejection letter I have ever seen. Is it possible for an "R" to be warm and fuzzy lol?

Can anyone brief me on what to expect during the 2 30 min interviews? Is it conversational or a grill sesh?

Can anyone brief me on what to expect during the 2 30 min interviews? Is it conversational or a grill sesh?
It varies depending on your interviewers. In general, I heard that most of them were conversational. Mine were definitely conversational. I suggest just going in with an open mind. Nothing to really worry about.

I interviewed with one faculty member and one student. Both were very conversational and I had a really good experience. I actually just finished reading a novel recommended by the faculty member and loved it. They have traditional interview questions obviously, but there seemed to be plenty of time to show them who I was. I don't remember feeling like I was being grilled at all.

For those who have interviewed, where do you report in the morning? I received an email about an overview of the interview day, but was not given any information on what room to initially go to.

For those who have interviewed, where do you report in the morning? I received an email about an overview of the interview day, but was not given any information on what room to initially go to.

Unless things have changed in the last few months, you’ll go to Three Rope Ferry Road, which is the Geisel Admissions Office.

This process reminds me of dial-up internet.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey yall, just a psa - CHECK YOUR SPAM!! I got an email yesterday asking me to reply to an II that I had NO IDEA I had received 2 weeks earlier!!! I made it in for a late interview so the hope is alive though it is late in the cycle. :') it ain't over til it's over - I submitted July 18th and the II was sent February 6th!!

Reactions: 4 users
Is Geisel changing the curriculum starting this year? Does anyone know anything about this? Dartmouth is a dream school for me, but I’m a bit hesitant about being part of the first class of a completely new curriculum

I don't have an answer for you but 20 IIs and 9 As has floored me.

Reactions: 5 users
Got an II on Tuesday, but missed it lol. Just got a reminder and scheduled for March.

Is Geisel changing the curriculum starting this year? Does anyone know anything about this? Dartmouth is a dream school for me, but I’m a bit hesitant about being part of the first class of a completely new curriculum

Yeah, they are changing it to the way a lot of schools are going. I am a bit hesitant too, but when I asked the school about it on interview day it sounds like the changes are very well researched. They are being very careful with it and I would trust Dartmouth to make a relatively smooth transition.

Probably because of a cancellation, but just got an II! Will turn down though, hope it goes to one of you!! :)

Does anyone know when decisions are made post-interview? I know some people got them, but when do most go out?
I interviewed in like early sept....

Does anyone know when decisions are made post-interview? I know some people got them, but when do most go out?
I think the general consensus is to be prepared to wait well into April :(

I’m honestly embarrassed of how many schools I applied to
Congrats! But I do keep saying on this website that superb candidates like yourself need to take advice from trusted advisors about putting a school list together, based on the specific application. And then once II start to come in, use those advisors to advise you as the season unfolds as to which interviews to go on and which to cancel. I may have a top tier advisee go on one or two geographically close interviews for "low target or safety schools" early in the season, for practice, and then schedule the rest of the less desirable interviews for towards the end of the season. If the applicant then predictably gets plenty of II, they can cancel those less desirable places.

There is no reason for outstanding applicants like yourself to apply to a ridiculous number of schools, nor is there any reason to go on a ridiculous number of interviews. If your school list is carefully chosen at the outset, based on your application, an ideal season for an applicant like yourself would include going on no more than 8-10 "good fit" interviews, to end up with a handful of "good fit" acceptances. Although I am sure you did this out of anxiety and insecurity, fellow applicants, who otherwise might have been accepted, are now stuck on WL's, which creates domino effects. Of course, I am in admissions world, but as "just an interviewer" I do not speak for the ADCOM staff. I speak more from the POV of applicants, for whom the WL unknowns create a lot of misery. For the future - for residency apps, please seek out and listen to advice about the relative strength of your application and apply accordingly.

I interviewed recently and they were wonderfully transparent about this. They told us that starting in March, the adcom will meet each week (Thurs, I think) to discuss a group of applicants (they have been meeting every 2 weeks up to now). Their final adcom meeting is on 28 March. Right now, they are being really cautious with acceptances to make sure that someone who interviews on the last possible date still has a good chance of acceptance; they don't interview for the waitlist. (FYI, they also said they're still reading a good number of applications to send out II — they got something like 1,000 more applications this year than last year, which they didn't quite expect, and most of the admissions team were ill in January!)

Interviewees are assigned a score; an extremely high score will get you a quick acceptance call. However, If you are a more middle-of-the-range scorer, they hold out — they don't determine acceptance/waitlist cut-off until that last meeting at the end of March (side note, they were very apologetic about stringing us out like this, but reiterated it's because of the careful attention they give to each application). So, verdict was that at latest, it's likely to be end of March/1st week of April.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed recently and they were wonderfully transparent about this. They told us that starting in March, the adcom will meet each week (Thurs, I think) to discuss a group of applicants (they have been meeting every 2 weeks up to now). Their final adcom meeting is on 28 March. Right now, they are being really cautious with acceptances to make sure that someone who interviews on the last possible date still has a good chance of acceptance; they don't interview for the waitlist. (FYI, they also said they're still reading a good number of applications to send out II — they got something like 1,000 more applications this year than last year, which they didn't quite expect, and most of the admissions team were ill in January!)

Interviewees are assigned a score; an extremely high score will get you a quick acceptance call. However, If you are a more middle-of-the-range scorer, they hold out — they don't determine acceptance/waitlist cut-off until that last meeting at the end of March (side note, they were very apologetic about stringing us out like this, but reiterated it's because of the careful attention they give to each application). So, verdict was that at latest, it's likely to be end of March/1st week of April.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for the info! Super helpful. Do you know if the score is based on the interview or an overall application score?

Thanks so much for the info! Super helpful. Do you know if the score is based on the interview or an overall application score?
I think they take into factor the overall application (I would hope so because I think candidates had very different interview experiences that varied greatly based on the interviewer). One thing I did find odd is that they are "trying to build the best class." Trying not to read too much into that, but it seems possible that two very similar "scores" may not be equal because one candidate may be non-traditional and add diversity to the class in a way the other cannot. Not sure if anyone can shed some more light on their post-II selection criteria.

I'm not sure exactly what goes into the scores, but they did say they go back after the interview and re-read your entire application thoroughly. So I'd imagine they take everything into consideration...