2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I gathered from the interview (someone correct me if I am wrong because i hope i am wrong) was that every student must take out a base loan of about $45,700 before any scholarship funds are added. With that sad, everyone who needed financial aid would at least be leaving Dartmouth with $188,000. Did others understand the same?

Yes, their need-based package is obnoxiously high.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, their need-based package is obnoxiously high.
One thing I gathered from the interview (someone correct me if I am wrong because i hope i am wrong) was that every student must take out a base loan of about $45,700 before any scholarship funds are added. With that sad, everyone who needed financial aid would at least be leaving Dartmouth with $188,000. Did others understand the same?

On their website, it says if need exceeds the base loan than Geisel scholarship is awarded. I originally got the impression that everyone had to take out the $45,700 while on interview day but am unsure after reading through their policies

On their website, it says if need exceeds the base loan than Geisel scholarship is awarded. I originally got the impression that everyone had to take out the $45,700 while on interview day but am unsure after reading through their policies
I believe what they mean is if what you need in order to pay for COA (60k+) exceeds $45,700, then that gap between COA and the base loan will be met based on your EFC and the info provided on the CSS profile. Again, I hope I am wrong lol

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to withdraw their application from here? I'd like to but can't seem to find the button on the website...

I believe what they mean is if what you need in order to pay for COA (60k+) exceeds $45,700, then that gap between COA and the base loan will be met based on your EFC and the info provided on the CSS profile. Again, I hope I am wrong lol

No this is correct. Even the neediest kids will see 200k in debt.

Any idea if more decisions will come out today?

Kind of frustrating that they require significant additional documentation for financial aid with due dates before most acceptances have gone out.

Accepted today! I got the email at 10:30 MST. Interviewed late February.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted yesterday by email! Interviewed 2/19.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! I got the email at 10:30 MST. Interviewed late February.

+1. Couldn't be happier that Dr. Seuss likes me back. Interview early March, avg stats, pretty old non-trad.

Stay strong friends; I think good news will keep rolling out (a lot on Fridays, it seems?) all the way through April 5th and April 12th based on what they told us on interview day. Last interview days are in early April if I recall.

Also -- CSS profile (on collegeboard) takes a while so definitely start it now if you haven't and want to go here. The parents' info is very annoying/long and don't forget that everyone has to sign their tax form copies even though they're not necessarily originals. Also, if your parents are separated you have to pay twice (2*$25) and fill out two separate accounts in a very confusing way...message me if you have issues, there's a helpful video I can share (way for collegeboard to kick us broken families one extra time, ha).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Geisel receptive to post-interview LOI’s? They told us to send one upon getting waitlisted but I’m wondering if it’s worth sending one before hearing back...this is my #1 and I just interviewed this month

23 days shy of the 6-month anniversary of my interview--anyone want to lay odds on reaching it before hearing back?

23 days shy of the 6-month anniversary of my interview--anyone want to lay odds on reaching it before hearing back?
Similar boat here. Except it's been over 6 months for me :(

I filled out the CSS forms, but have been waiting on my admissions decision to submit because of the $25 fee. There is quite a lot of info required that may take you some time, so I would recommend getting a jump start on it if Geisel is on your list still. I believe all financial paperwork needs to be submitted by the 1st of April. I might give the office a call tomorrow to see what they recommend doing.
do you know where I would be able to find it?

Anyone know the chances that tomorrow will include another batch of decisions?

Anyone know the chances that tomorrow will include another batch of decisions?
Based on last year I thought we’d hear something today! Hopefully something tomorrow

I believe they added another interview date (tomorrow) so it might be a little while longer for those of us not getting the quick acceptances :’) I interviewed mid-March and they told us April

I believe they added another interview date (tomorrow) so it might be a little while longer for those of us not getting the quick acceptances :’) I interviewed mid-March and they told us April

Yesterday was the last day-- they said they had one committee meeting yesterday and will have the last one next week, so everyone should hear back by the second week in April (and then have to scramble if they want to go to second look, lol)

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't received a decision from them yet, but I just withdrew my application! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Just popping in with a word of encouragement for those waiting from fall...it doesn't necessarily mean you're rejected! I interviewed November 2, 2017 and didn't hear anything until April 6, 2018, and it was an acceptance! The wait was brutal because I wasn't in anywhere else and it was my top choice. Many tears were shed very publicly when I got the email.

Good luck!!! :luck:

Reactions: 6 users
What happens if you don’t fill out the CSS form by April 1st ?

Plus have people received their financial package yet?

What happens if you don’t fill out the CSS form by April 1st ?
Also, the paper describing the steps for financial aid said that the due date is April 15. Which is the real deadline?

Also, the paper describing the steps for financial aid said that the due date is April 15. Which is the real deadline?
They told us during the interview that Apr 1st is the real deadline even though the paper says Apr 15th. However, they said that they would still accept the forms after that date if necessary.

Just got the financial aid package

really random question but why do you guys think Dartmouth is ranked so low?

When are they releasing decisions for the rest of us? I feel like a good chunk of the class has already been accepted.

Reactions: 6 users