2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I counted 13 WL reported on SDN alone today. MSAR says they only WLed 20-30 last year. So I would say it’s likely all the WL went out today?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The silence better end today!
EB89110C-22BF-40A1-A16F-5A11BCADB6BD.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You have been accepted to three schools already! CALM DOWN! It will be ok haha

I know I know, it’s just one of my top choices and I’m tired of waiting. Six whole months

I know I know, it’s just one of my top choices and I’m tired of waiting. Six whole months
Think of it this way... if you don't get in, you will have less debt. if you do, then YAY for your top choice! at the end of the day, you will be a doctor and that is what matters most

Reactions: 1 user
Think of it this way... if you don't get in, you will have less debt. if you do, then YAY for your top choice! at the end of the day, you will be a doctor and that is what matters most

Too wise

8522DA06-DE04-498B-807B-41D56DE111B4.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Annnnd results are in, waitlisted

Interviewed 10/03 I think

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the r, interviewed on the last day so hopes weren't high going in, but still really liked the school :/

Does anyone know if Geisel is known for giving merit or aid scholarships in their financial aid packages?

Withdrew my acceptance this morning, best of luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Is anybody else still waiting for their post interview decision here? I still haven't been told anything and I thought they said we'd hear back by April 15th...

Does anyone have a link for the incoming student checklist? I'm trying top get all my ducks in a row

Any current students know how clerkships are graded? Is AOA awarded before or after match?

Any current students know how clerkships are graded? Is AOA awarded before or after match?

The student handbook outlines all the policies (full thing here: https://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/faculty/pdf/geisel_student_policy_handbook_public.pdf ), but here's the relevant excerpt:

Your Student Academic Profile

During the first two years, no formal rank list is generated. Student promotion from year to year is based only on the student’s total academic record (courses passed, courses failed, and courses passed but only marginally). At the end of the third year, it becomes necessary to generate a more detailed academic profile of each student that considers overall academic achievements, and helps determine standing within a class. For example, Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) the national medical honor society, begins to select members at the end of the third year, and students are eligible if they are within the top quarter of the class academically. Other criteria for election to AOA are then applied to students in the top quarter, including citizenship, leadership, character, and community service. While in fourth year internship and residency programs, the AOA insists on seeing: • Student’s overall academic record as documented on the academic transcript • How grades are distributed within each clerkship • How a student stands within his or her own class based on academic performance At the end of year 4, the top quarter of the class is also eligible to graduate from Geisel with honors. The relative academic position of each student is based on the number of honors in the six core clerkships in year 3.

There are 180 members on facebook accepted list for a class target of 92 students

Assuming that every accepted student is already on this facebook list, 87 accepted students need to withdraw their acceptance before one of us on the waiting list is offered a spot. Not a favorable situation to start with?

There are 180 members on facebook accepted list for a class target of 92 students

Assuming that every accepted student is already on this facebook list, 87 accepted students need to withdraw their acceptance before one of us on the waiting list is offered a spot. Not a favorable situation to start with?
Yeah. But are none of them current students? And perhaps some of them have withdrawn but haven't left the group? Lots of speculation here.

Yeah. But are none of them current students? And perhaps some of them have withdrawn but haven't left the group? Lots of speculation here.

True, but there must be some accepted, but not part of the facebook group. You're right, we don't know and certainly hard to tell. We can only try to make sense of data we have access to.

Seems unlikely. Think about what it would imply to have 0 waitlist movement: the adcom would have had to perfectly predicted their yield assuming a fixed number of new entrants. Any overestimate and you're over-enrolled, any underestimate and you don't have a full class. It's hard for me to imagine that ANY school would make so many outright acceptance offers that they would have a non-negligible chance of no waitlist movement--because that would imply they are taking at least an equivalent (if not greater!) chance of being over-enrolled.

Speaking of yield, about to send in my withdrawal email. Hoping y’all see waitlist movement soon :)

You shouldn't try to ascertain the fullness of the class or likelihood of WL movement based on the size of the Facebook group. A LOT of the group members are current students!

They said on my interview day (Early October) that they were going to shoot for 270 acceptances and the rest waitlists. Either the FB page is a very poor indicator, or they are waitlisting a lot more than last year due to the AAMC traffic rules. :shrug:

They said on my interview day (Early October) that they were going to shoot for 270 acceptances and the rest waitlists. Either the FB page is a very poor indicator, or they are waitlisting a lot more than last year due to the AAMC traffic rules. :shrug:
So that's possibly a good thing for everyone on the waitlist? It definitely seems like they waitlisted a ton of people based on the number of people who commented on this thread.

Anyone know how to withdraw an acceptance from the portal?

Anyone know how to withdraw an acceptance from the portal?

I can see options under "Admissions Decision" section in portal to accept or withdraw from the waitlist. I would imagine that similar options exist for accepted students? Regardless, you can send the admissions office an email to let them know.

do you guys think dartmouth's waitlist consists of 40 people based on the msar? and they take 10-30 people off of it in a given year?

do you guys think dartmouth's waitlist consists of 40 people based on the msar? and they take 10-30 people off of it in a given year?
I sure hope so... But I personally don't have any idea what's accurate or not

they waitlist about 250 people... not everyone accepts the waitlist offer though

they waitlist about 250 people... not everyone accepts the waitlist offer though
I wonder how many people are actually on the waitlist then. Like the ones who accepted the position and don't intend to drop it for another school.

Does Geisel give us a stethoscope? I believe they give us Ipads, and what else do you think we may need to buy ourselves?

Does Geisel give us a stethoscope? I believe they give us Ipads, and what else do you think we may need to buy ourselves?

You'll need to buy your own stethoscope, reflex hammer, and tuning fork. They'll give you the option to buy other things (like an oto/opthalmoscope, bp cuff, etc), but I'd advice against buying anything other than what's required because the rest will be in every exam room you're ever going to be in.

Withdrew. Best of luck to all those on the waitlist!!

Withdrew yesterday, hope one of you fine homies gets my spot!

Did anyone get a call today asking if you’re still interested in being on the waitlist?