2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does that mean if we were complete in July and haven't heard back yet we should expect a rejection in the first rejection wave?

Definitely not necessarily. I was complete in early July last year and did not get my II email until mid-late October.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
@Nym.Pseudo did you find that talking with the m1's was helpful (the is for my own curiosity because i've thought about going over to admissions with them and participating so feel free to be honest you could PM me if you like as well)

Hmmm. To be honest, I felt a little ambivalent about that part of the day. I certainly appreciated that M1s were available, but it also seemed that most people had either asked their questions during the info session/DHMC tour, or were saving them for the 1:1 interviews.

I was, however, extremely impressed by all of my interactions with students and residents who were NOT officially participating in the interview day. Seemed like everyone was legitimately excited about being there and wanted to encourage us to attend: if they weren't offering to do a spontaneous Q&A session or wishing us good luck, they were stage-whispering, "Come to Geisel!" as we passed.

Reactions: 1 users
To anyone who has interviewed, is there a place to store luggage on interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
@SCN1a @GliaLimitans can either of you discuss adjusting to NH winters, or if you grew up in the northeast, how people handle winter? is it hard for people who have grown up in warmer areas or are you so busy with school that you're inside all the time anyway and don't notice the cold?

@SCN1a @GliaLimitans can either of you discuss adjusting to NH winters, or if you grew up in the northeast, how people handle winter? is it hard for people who have grown up in warmer areas or are you so busy with school that you're inside all the time anyway and don't notice the cold?
You'll still have to drive and be outside from time to time. You'll buy jackets, sweaters, warm boots, and some gloves. It'll get old donning them before you leave the house every morning. But eventually, it just becomes routine. You can learn to embrace the winter and appreciate the beauty of walking through a fresh coat of snow, or you can gripe about not being able to even be close to a window without being nudged from your comfort zone. There's a lot to enjoy in the winter if you decide to put in the effort and drive carefully.

Reactions: 2 users
You'll still have to drive and be outside from time to time. You'll buy jackets, sweaters, warm boots, and some gloves. It'll get old donning them before you leave the house every morning. But eventually, it just becomes routine. You can learn to embrace the winter and appreciate the beauty of walking through a fresh coat of snow, or you can gripe about not being able to even be close to a window without being nudged from your comfort zone. There's a lot to enjoy in the winter if you decide to put in the effort and drive carefully.
Thanks for your message! I had my interview already and although I've only been in snow only twice before, it seems like New Hampshire in winter might be one of the prettiest sites to see... I just can't quite fathom the temperatures.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II! LM 75 complete 7/9!

Reactions: 14 users
Just got an II! LM 75 complete 7/9!
I checked SDN for the first time in a week and just saw your post in 22 minutes. Already 8 people liked your post. SDN is truly the peak of neuroticism lol

Reactions: 5 users
II today! I'm a reapplicant and they rejected me pre-interview last year, so this was a bit of a surprise!

Reactions: 7 users
I got an application complete email on July 12th.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Complete 7/17, LizzyM~70, OOS. Super excited!! :)

First available date was two days from now o_O. Needless to say I can't get there that quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sent out a batch of IIs today/later this week to try to fill that slot (and others that are also very soon)!

Reactions: 7 users
II today! Complete 7/17, LizzyM~70, OOS. Super excited!! :)

First available date was two days from now o_O. Needless to say I can't get there that quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sent out a batch of IIs today/later this week to try to fill that slot (and others that are also very soon)!

Hey! Hey Dartmouth! I live an hour away and I'm unemployed so my schedule is wide open, if you wanna hit me up

(congrats on the II!)

Reactions: 12 users
Hey! Hey Dartmouth! I live an hour away and I'm unemployed so my schedule is wide open, if you wanna hit me up

(congrats on the II!)

same though! i can be there asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually from NH, so I might not be the best person to ask about adjusting to winter, maybe @SCN1a can comment in a few months :rofl:. I would probably say that people get used to it, or at least endure it. I personally prefer a place that gets cold over a place that gets super hot. You can always put on more layers to counteract the cold, but there are only so many layers you can take off in the heat before you get arrested ;). I think as long as you are prepared, it's not *that* bad. There will be a few weeks here and there when even the natives think it's too damn cold, but it's not like that for the entire winter.

Reactions: 4 users
II today:)

LM ~75
OOS
Complete date: 7/23

Reactions: 3 users
They're not going in order of submission so there's still a chance yours can be reviewed soon.

^^ this. In some threads, people who were complete early July and early September were getting IIs on the same day.

Looks like some school review based on MCAT and GPA range. Some look for number of volunteer hours, research, etc. It just depends on the school.

^^ this. In some threads, people who were complete early July and early September were getting IIs on the same day.

Looks like some school review based on MCAT and GPA range. Some look for number of volunteer hours, research, etc. It just depends on the school.
They're not going in order of submission so there's still a chance yours can be reviewed soon.
Ohhhhhh I see. I did not know this!! Thanks for the info :)

This really makes the process all the more stressful since now you can't even tell if they've read your app or passed over it

This really makes the process all the more stressful since now you can't even tell if they've read your app or passed over it
yep- I guess we would never know for sure until we officially get the R

But based on the posts in this thread so far, it looks like Dartmouth pretty much reviews chronologically
Guess you’re right. It looks like they review a few weeks worth of apps at a time before sending out II. There were people complete early July getting II around the same time as people complete mid-late July

But based on the posts in this thread so far, it looks like Dartmouth pretty much reviews chronologically
Yeah thats what I thought too. It will be a long time waiting for us folks complete in late aug/ early sept.

They are known to do silent rejections right? So it's possible that we may just never hear back - or do they do a large rejection wave at the end of the cycle?

Pretty sure that is the case and this is why they give out very few II on Oct 15. It was explained to us that each interviewed applicant gets a score and in March they determine the cutoff for acceptances and waitlist spots and send them out. Only people with extremely high scores (based on primary, secondary, LORs, interviews) will get an Oct 15 acceptance.

Pretty sure that is the case and this is why they give out very few II on Oct 15. It was explained to us that each interviewed applicant gets a score and in March they determine the cutoff for acceptances and waitlist spots and send them out. Only people with extremely high scores (based on primary, secondary, LORs, interviews) will get an Oct 15 acceptance.
Is this like a score out of 100? How does that affect giving out II on the 15th

They are known to do silent rejections right? So it's possible that we may just never hear back - or do they do a large rejection wave at the end of the cycle?

They do send them out in waves.

I'm actually from NH, so I might not be the best person to ask about adjusting to winter, maybe @SCN1a can comment in a few months :rofl:. I would probably say that people get used to it, or at least endure it. I personally prefer a place that gets cold over a place that gets super hot. You can always put on more layers to counteract the cold, but there are only so many layers you can take off in the heat before you get arrested ;). I think as long as you are prepared, it's not *that* bad. There will be a few weeks here and there when even the natives think it's too damn cold, but it's not like that for the entire winter.

As a skier from Michigan the winter actually excites me, one of the reasons I really would like to attend Dartmouth is the access to skiing. How consistent are the cold temperatures? In Michigan it might be -10 one day then 40 the next, which I absolutely loathe.
Also I'm a noob, can anyone tell me what LM~ # means?

As a skier from Michigan the winter actually excites me, one of the reasons I really would like to attend Dartmouth is the access to skiing. How consistent are the cold temperatures? In Michigan it might be -10 one day then 40 the next, which I absolutely loathe.
Also I'm a noob, can anyone tell me what LM~ # means?
Can’t answer the first part cause cold is cold to me lmao but LM stands for LizzyM score. It’s basically a number that combines your mcat/gpa (that was made by a mod). The higher it is, the higher your stats are

(congrats on the II!)
I live in the midwest but won't mind flying overnight LOL just show me some respect and send me the R or II ... with the $130 application fee, I guess we deserve some respect to get an answer, we paid more than enough for an email to be sent out! Complete 08/18

I live in the midwest but won't mind flying overnight LOL just show me some respect and send me the R or II ... with the $130 application fee, I guess we deserve some respect to get an answer, we paid more than enough for an email to be sent out! Complete 08/18

most likely they haven't gotten to your application. from what i have been told they seem to have a small adcom. while most some schools have scheduled all the way out into 2019 the fact that they haven't filled out next month shows they haven't gotten to a lot of applications. i am complete 7/19 without hearing anything back yet, so i keep on reminding myself to be patient

most likely they haven't gotten to your application. from what i have been told they seem to have a small adcom. while most some schools have scheduled all the way out into 2019 the fact that they haven't filled out next month shows they haven't gotten to a lot of applications. i am complete 7/19 without hearing anything back yet, so i keep on reminding myself to be patient
This is promising! It also sounds like their admissions committee needs to do some heavy recruiting lol. I’m complete a little earlier than you with only silence yet people with the same date as me have already gotten II. Really think they’re reviewing a weeks worth of apps at a time. Hopefully they don’t do holds. I’d rather just know my fate outright

Sounds reassuring, thanks!

Lol I actually replied to that comment too. Time to obsessively check the portal again
Hope for the best, but you might as well just assume you're rejected until you're interviewed.

The only school I know that is consistently bad about non-emailed II's is Ohio State... which is about what I'd expect out of Ohio State.

Hope for the best, but you might as well just assume you're rejected until you're interviewed.

The only school I know that is consistently bad about non-emailed II's is Ohio State... which is about what I'd expect out of Ohio State.
Ya not putting too much hope into it but I still can’t find where people see these rejections. I still have app complete

Yup. Ohio state needs to revamp their 80 year old website

Lol I actually replied to that comment too. Time to obsessively check the portal again

Every night after work, I open my application progress excel sheet and check my portal and sdn threads checking my apps in order of completion date!
And every ~ 5 min. I check my inbox and spam!

Not sure if this is normal or I've lost my mind - hopefully this will get to an end some time soon!

Reactions: 8 users
Every night after work, I open my application progress excel sheet and check my portal and sdn threads checking my apps in order of completion date!
And every ~ 5 min. I check my inbox and spam!

Not sure if this is normal or I've lost my mind - hopefully this will get to an end some time soon!

from what i’ve seen on here and what i personally do it’s pretty normal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk