2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every night after work, I open my application progress excel sheet and check my portal and sdn threads checking my apps in order of completion date!
And every ~ 5 min. I check my inbox and spam!

Not sure if this is normal or I've lost my mind - hopefully this will get to an end some time soon!
Pfft. You only check after work. What an amateur. A real pro checks before, during and after work like me. Check sdn first thing after I wake up, after I get to work, in between at bathroom breaks and after work. Portals are now mobile friendly now too to make us even more neurotic! I keep checking my spam box all the time now after seeing a post about someone finding an II there

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Pfft. You only check after work. What an amateur. A real pro checks before, during and after work like me. Check sdn first thing after I wake up, after I get to work, in between at bathroom breaks and after work. Portals are now mobile friendly now too to make us even more neurotic! I keep checking my spam box all the time now after seeing a post about someone finding an II there
can't check at work, dedicated employee LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually from NH, so I might not be the best person to ask about adjusting to winter, maybe @SCN1a can comment in a few months :rofl:. I would probably say that people get used to it, or at least endure it. I personally prefer a place that gets cold over a place that gets super hot. You can always put on more layers to counteract the cold, but there are only so many layers you can take off in the heat before you get arrested ;). I think as long as you are prepared, it's not *that* bad. There will be a few weeks here and there when even the natives think it's too damn cold, but it's not like that for the entire winter.

yeah i'm from CA where it doesn't drop below 40 degrees ever so I will have to let you know :scared:

Mine just says complete as well. Maybe they've upgraded to silent rejections, lol

Yes, I was PMed by someone who said they received the same message this cycle “reviewed by BC- deny”. My guess is that they probably weren’t suppose to see that message due to a glitch or sloppiness on the reviewers behalf. It probably be a rejection in the future.

Seems like a lot of people probably have similar stories, but II found in spam folder! 6 days after it was sent! Terrifying. Now I will be checking spam folder every weekday.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like a lot of people probably have similar stories, but II found in spam folder! 6 days after it was sent! Terrifying. Now I will be checking spam folder every weekday.

Lol or you could do what some of us have done since day one and disabled the spam filter on a brand new email

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Every night after work, I open my application progress excel sheet and check my portal and sdn threads checking my apps in order of completion date!
And every ~ 5 min. I check my inbox and spam!

Not sure if this is normal or I've lost my mind - hopefully this will get to an end some time soon!
Oh I do that too !!!! (And no , it’s not normal :)))) )

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an II! LM 70, OOS. question for those who have interviewed here already...how did you get up there? did yall fly to lebanon airport?

Reactions: 3 users
II ! OOS LM 70ish Complete 29 July

Reactions: 5 users
just got an II! LM 70, OOS. question for those who have interviewed here already...how did you get up there? did yall fly to lebanon airport?
Congrats! Most people on my interview day flew into BOS and then took the Dartmouth shuttle to the school. I was in the region for another interview so I rented a car and drove up.

Congrats! Most people on my interview day flew into BOS and then took the Dartmouth shuttle to the school. I was in the region for another interview so I rented a car and drove up.
You got 21 invites?? That's crazy! Can I get an idea of what your profile is like? Are you actually going to go to most of these?

I don't recommend flying into Leb, it would be very expensive and they're tiny little 11 seater Cesnas.

Reactions: 2 users
As a skier from Michigan the winter actually excites me, one of the reasons I really would like to attend Dartmouth is the access to skiing. How consistent are the cold temperatures? In Michigan it might be -10 one day then 40 the next, which I absolutely loathe.
Also I'm a noob, can anyone tell me what LM~ # means?

Yes, skiing is good. Not something I do regularly because it's an expensive sport, but they always have a deal where you can buy the college 4.0 pass, which gives you a season's pass to 4 different mountains (Killington, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, and Pico) for like, $350. Global warming means the winters can sometimes be a little more screwy than they used to be, but I think generally the ski weather is better here than in Michigan.

I don't recommend flying into Leb, it would be very expensive and they're tiny little 11 seater Cesnas.

whoops too late lol i got a flight into boston and then connecting into lebanon - at least it's close to the school! i saw the option of taking the bus but time-wise i don't think it would have been the most efficient for me. either way, thanks everyone for all the advice! i do appreciate it

Are Lyfts easy to come by in the Hanover area? I'd like to take a bus from Boston and stay in a relatively cheap hotel in White River Junction, VT (which is only about 6-7 miles from the med school), but I fear that I wouldn't be able to find a Lyft. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Are Lyfts easy to come by in the Hanover area? I'd like to take a bus from Boston and stay in a relatively cheap hotel in White River Junction, VT (which is only about 6-7 miles from the med school), but I fear that I wouldn't be able to find a Lyft. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Lyft and Uber are still not very reliable in the Hanover area. I think that the Upper Valley just recently started seeing Uber and Lyft about a year or two ago. Depending on the time that you'll want to call for one, there may or may not be one available.

I'm sorry if this is redundant, but can any current students or already interviewed students please offer some advice about interview day?
Much appreciated!

in order to make it on time to my flight, the administrator in the admissions office told me to schedule a taxi ahead of time - does anyone have recommendations for local companies who are reliable and don't charge astronomical costs? perhaps locals or current students - any advice? thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody complete in first week of sept heard back yet ?

Dartmouth is moving soooo slow it’s unreal

Reactions: 2 users
Have they even gotten to August applicants yet?:boom:

I feel like our situation is such a bittersweet one. Pretty much every OOS and private school that I have applied to still seems to be working on end of July/early August applicants at the latest (except the **** show that is happening at Tulane and USC though lol).

As a July secondary completer and mid-August completee (damn committee letter), I want to cling on to the hope that majority of schools just haven't seriously even looked at/reviewed my application yet. But at the same time, I know thats probably not true. With only 1 II so far, I am trying to be optimistic but its so hard. I thought that end of September would be "prime-time" for hearing back and getting more IIs because for me its 1-1.5 months post-complete status.

However, majority of schools seem to not be following a strict chronological order and I see random mid-late August and early September folks getting interviews out of the blue. What I think is happening is that I am not good enough of an applicant that schools are jumping all over me early but at the same time, because I only have 1 rejection, my application might not be so bad that I am placed into the early pile of massive rejection waves (except for Pitt and the massacre that just recently happened).

Here's to hoping that schools (especially Dartmouth!!) decide on me as the "fall-back" or "back-up" option and like me (and the rest of us in the same situation) enough to interview me. Sigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I feel like our situation is such a bittersweet one. Pretty much every OOS and private school that I have applied to still seems to be working on end of July/early August applicants at the latest (except the **** show that is happening at Tulane and USC though lol).

As a July secondary completer and mid-August completee (damn committee letter), I want to cling on to the hope that majority of schools just haven't seriously even looked at/reviewed my application yet. But at the same time, I know thats probably not true. With only 1 II so far, I am trying to be optimistic but its so hard. I thought that end of September would be "prime-time" for hearing back and getting more IIs because for me its 1-1.5 months post-complete status.

However, majority of schools seem to not be following a strict chronological order and I see random mid-late August and early September folks getting interviews out of the blue. What I think is happening is that I am not good enough of an applicant that schools are jumping all over me early but at the same time, because I only have 1 rejection, my application might not be so bad that I deserve any early massive rejections (except for Pitt and the massacre that just recently happened).

Here's to hoping that schools decide on me as the "fall-back" or "back-up" option and like me enough to interview me. Sigh.

+1 you aren't alone, friend. I've not received any IIs yet, just two Rs, and have been complete since first week of August. This is an incredibly frustrating process, but we've just got to hang in there and stay optimistic

Reactions: 8 users
I feel like our situation is such a bittersweet one. Pretty much every OOS and private school that I have applied to still seems to be working on end of July/early August applicants at the latest (except ****ing Tulane and USC though lol).

As a July secondary completer and mid-August completee (damn committee letter), I want to cling on to the hope that majority of schools just haven't seriously even looked at/reviewed my application yet. But at the same time, I know thats probably not true. With only 1 II so far, I am trying to be optimistic but its so hard. I thought that end of September would be "prime-time" for hearing back and getting more IIs because its 1-1.5 months post-complete status.
Yeah, I totally hear you. I think when you move towards August that whole "standard timeline ( II in 1/1.5 months)" gets thrown off, unfortunately :(
I guess we have no choice but to wait and see.............:(

tomorrow is one of the most special days of my life :)))). 3 month-aversary since I submitted my application to Dartmouth.... still waiting....

Reactions: 16 users
+1 you aren't alone, friend. I've not received any IIs yet, just two Rs, and have been complete since first week of August. This is an incredibly frustrating process, but we've just got to hang in there and stay optimistic
+2 Haven't received any IIs but recieved8 rejections so far. Complete mid-late August for all schools. It makes surprised how Sept folks hear back and I don't!!

+2 Haven't received any IIs but recieved8 rejections so far. Complete mid-late August for all schools. It makes surprised how Sept folks hear back and I don't!!

if it makes you feel better i’m a september person who hasn’t heard back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry to hear that , hang in there :) would you mind sharing your stats?

I’m so sorry to hear that , hang in there :) would you mind sharing your stats?

My MCAT isn't impressive and I don't like to share it, my GPA is 3.5, grad GPA 3.9. I have a good story. I'm a non-traditional with ~2 years of research, lots and lots of volunteer/shadowing hours. I also have masters degree and extremely diverse, I'm an international, bilingual, lived in 4 countries, 7 different states.

Last edited:
For people who have interviewed, is parking easy?

Yeah, very. Just make sure to print the parking pass and put it on your dashboard. The lot has tons of space in the morning and is a 5 minute walk from the admissions office.

Most people I saw actually walked from their hotel. But the lot by admissions had plenty parking early in the morning. Just be sure to follow their parking instructions.

Yeah, very. Just make sure to print the parking pass and put it on your dashboard. The lot has tons of space in the morning and is a 5 minute walk from the admissions office.
Uh oh, what parking pass?