2018-2019 Dell Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's no minimum GPA/MCAT cut off. Dell will not toss your app because of those measures. With a lower LM, your app might be passed up the 1st or 2nd review, but eventually, if you have something in your background that screams out service to community that Dell really really likes, you will get a later-in-the-cycle 2nd invite, time permitting.

Dell really does a holistic approach to its admissions process.

Can confirm. The only thing I'd add is that fitting the mission, which includes but is not limited to service to the community is what they're looking for. Every student has some sort of background and goals for the future that align with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
any oos applicants receive a secondary today? I'm hoping I didn't get one because i'm oos

I also am OOS and haven't received one. My LOR's also aren't in if that matters, not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed off sending secondaries for OOS-ers.

Did the secondary today. Strongly prefer it to a written secondary lol. I wish they were all like this. I felt I rambled a bit at times as two minutes can be quite tight so, as another user said, make sure to get right to the point from the get-go

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feel like their answers were really generic/broad? I was having a hard time thinking of specific examples fast enough. Hoping it went okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Just did the secondary - I don’t think I that well but we’ll see! For one question in particular I couldn’t think of a specific example so I talked about the same experience I talked about for a previous question. So hopefully it’s ok that I overlapped my answers.

I had a slight hiccup where I the server stopped working and I couldn’t record a response. But the tech support was responsive and the issue was resolved within 10 minutes.

Also just checking, there wasn’t a confirmation email after you submitted the secondary was there?

Just did the secondary - I don’t think I that well but we’ll see! For one question in particular I couldn’t think of a specific example so I talked about the same experience I talked about for a previous question. So hopefully it’s ok that I overlapped my answers.

I had a slight hiccup where I the server stopped working and I couldn’t record a response. But the tech support was responsive and the issue was resolved within 10 minutes.

Also just checking, there wasn’t a confirmation email after you submitted the secondary was there?
No there wasn’t, just the “you’re done now” screen informing you that interview invites would go out by phone call

Heads up all, just got an invite this morning! So it looks like there's at least a second wave of invites. There is hope yet!

Dell, please love me and send me a secondary

Reactions: 3 users
I did the video secondary and thought it went terribly. But I guess that’s normal... fingers crossed!

Just got a video secondary invite today! OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone requested a written format for the secondary? I was thinking about choosing this option because I feel like I am more eloquent on paper, but I was wondering if it would put me at a disadvantage.

Has anyone requested a written format for the secondary? I was thinking about choosing this option because I feel like I am more eloquent on paper, but I was wondering if it would put me at a disadvantage.

IMO I think trying the video secondary is worth it. In their instructions it seems like they are very forgiving of any small stumbles, they know you're speaking on the fly and don't expect any polished speech (which would obviously be counter to what they're trying to capture w/ this secondary format). I personally really liked it after doing a bunch of essays, and the general topics covered in my questions could be answered with material that I had already written about for other schools, so I didn't feel like I was ambushed. I would try to come up with at least one practice question for yourself, because you get 10 "attempts" at making sure your webcam works, so you can use that as practice time. Then you will get a mock question, which was also helpful.

tl;dr, I thought the video secondary was a nice change of pace and I was by and large able to draw on material I had written for other secondaries, so I didn't have any moments of panic where I wasn't able to think of anything to talk about.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the call. Did you get an email? I'm being super neurotic and I'm worried I confirmed the wrong email address because I was so excited.
I didn't get the email either! Same about the neuroticism haha

Just got my confirmation email!

when doing the video secondary, did anyone else feel as though looking into their computer camera resulted in them looking like they were looking slightly off-center?

I don't want the admissions committee to think I was looking at a script or anything, so am not sure whether I should email them regarding this concern of mine

when doing the video secondary, did anyone else feel as though looking into their computer camera resulted in them looking like they were looking slightly off-center?

I don't want the admissions committee to think I was looking at a script or anything, so am not sure whether I should email them regarding this concern of mine

My two cents is definitely don't worry about it. I'm sure people were looking all over the place in their secondaries, I know I wasn't consistently making eye contact throughout. It's normal to glance around, especially while you're thinking of how to formulate an answer. Also, to be totally honest I think emailing them being like, "hi, I know I wasn't making direct eye contact with the camera but I definitely wasn't reading a script!" would just be kind of weird lol. I'm sure nobody is thinking twice about it.

Reactions: 2 users

Lol please don't do this

II today.

Reactions: 3 users
App transmitted june 16 and have yet to receive a secondary invite. Should I consider myself rejected?

App transmitted june 16 and have yet to receive a secondary invite. Should I consider myself rejected?
From what I can tell we are still waiting on the second wave of secondary invitations. I haven't seen anyone say they received one since June 22.

I think its definitely too early to say that haha
Yeah maybe I just got a bit nervous because my friends got theirs relatively quick

From what I can tell we are still waiting on the second wave of secondary invitations. I haven't seen anyone say they received one since June 22.
I hope you're right. I don't know why this has me so nervous lmao

Yeah maybe I just got a bit nervous because my friends got theirs relatively quick

I hope you're right. I don't know why this has me so nervous lmao

It's UT lol, I attend UT and still haven't received crap from them either but then again I barely got transmitted too.