2018-2019 Dell Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the call yesterday evening! Accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! When does Dell send more information about the interview day via email? Seeing what the schedule is like will help book flight

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II today, and I was really sure I wouldn't hear from them lol. My secondary was completed on 6/20, IS, LizzyM 75. So it's never too late to give up hope! I prematched at McGovern which I'm really excited about, but have heard a lot of good things about Dell so I'm excited to see how it goes.

Reactions: 5 users
II today! When does Dell send more information about the interview day via email? Seeing what the schedule is like will help book flight

Dell sends out more information about the day itself ~5 days prior to the interview, so might be hard to wait for that with flight booking. They are incredibly responsive if you email them. Otherwise, the pre-interview social should be the night before your interview at 6:30 pm. It is optional, but I found it nice and one of the people I met was in my group the next day, which made the group exercise feel more natural :). My interview day started at 8:30am and ended around 3:15 pm. Austin's security is surprisingly fast and the terminal is small, though idk about the new one that opened 2 days ago. Driving time is about 30 min from Dell, though I'd budget an hour.

Dell sends out more information about the day itself ~5 days prior to the interview, so might be hard to wait for that with flight booking. They are incredibly responsive if you email them. Otherwise, the pre-interview social should be the night before your interview at 6:30 pm. It is optional, but I found it nice and one of the people I met was in my group the next day, which made the group exercise feel more natural :). My interview day started at 8:30am and ended around 3:15 pm. Austin's security is surprisingly fast and the terminal is small, though idk about the new one that opened 2 days ago. Driving time is about 30 min from Dell, though I'd budget an hour.
Thank you so much- very helpful information! Super excited about interviewing at this one

Yeah, feel free to ask me anything else via message. I loved my interview at Dell :)

Just got the call from Dell as I was getting off the plane for the Thanksgiving break. IM SO STOKED. LizzyM 77, interviewed on 9/11 and LOVED IT.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!!!! I am shocked!! :soexcited: Interviewed 9/25

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is it still possible to get a secondary?

Reactions: 1 user
Was wondering if I could get some advice - I just got an II this morning (which I am very excited / thankful about) but I am deciding whether I should attend. I prematched at UTSW, so I'm not sure if I would end up ranking Dell higher anyway since I really really liked UTSW. I think UTSW would definitely help with residency placement - I dont think I'll want any super competitive specialty, but it would be nice to have the option/resources available if I changed my mind. Is there something about Dell that I couldn't find at UTSW? For example, the class size of 50 vs 230 is very different

I looked at some X vs Y school threads but wanted some more advice. Thanks in advance!

Was wondering if I could get some advice - I just got an II this morning (which I am very excited / thankful about) but I am deciding whether I should attend. I prematched at UTSW, so I'm not sure if I would end up ranking Dell higher anyway since I really really liked UTSW. I think UTSW would definitely help with residency placement - I dont think I'll want any super competitive specialty, but it would be nice to have the option/resources available if I changed my mind. Is there something about Dell that I couldn't find at UTSW? For example, the class size of 50 vs 230 is very different

I looked at some X vs Y school threads but wanted some more advice. Thanks in advance!
If factors like money for travel and the time commitment for the interview are not a huge deal, then I think you should go if you think there'd be even a minuscule chance that you'd choose Dell. It's a very different school with a unique way of doing things and there's no harm in checking it out! If nothing else you would have an excuse to check out Austin.

@hhap1234 I personally agree with the poster above. It won't hurt you to check it out and visit Austin for a day or two! I don't know anything about UTSW, but I'd say one pro of Dell is that their curriculum seems very malleable. Because it is so small and new, you can develop a lot of the programs or clubs or even majors/concentrations alongside faculty. You also have that whole 3rd growth year, which could be useful if you know there is some outside academic interest or extra masters you wish to pursue.

Thanks for the input! I’m really leaning towards going to the interview. There are definitely new and exciting things happening at Dell

If my interview is in December, that means I’ll probably be relying on the match there right? As in that’s too late to get a prematch?

Thanks for the input! I’m really leaning towards going to the interview. There are definitely new and exciting things happening at Dell

If my interview is in December, that means I’ll probably be relying on the match there right? As in that’s too late to get a prematch?

Not entirely sure, but I know Dell is very slow with pre-match offers, like a few in a few batches spread out over time. The last pre-matches I saw on SDN were given out on Christmas last year, so they would still be giving them out late December. Not sure if you'd be in that pool or not, but it is within possibility.

Yeah

Congrats to everyone accepted! What is the area code of the number from which you got the call? Just so I can make sure I pick up in case I’m lucky enough to get a call as well!

Congrats to everyone accepted! What is the area code of the number from which you got the call? Just so I can make sure I pick up in case I’m lucky enough to get a call as well!
I have not been accepted but, as an Austinite, the area code should be 512

My call actually came from a San Francisco area code!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call earlier this evening. I'm in shock. San Francisco area code.

GPA 99th percentile but MCAT at the 10th percentile. I think i did really well on the interview but my MCAT score might bite me, honestly been in love with this school since the day it opened. Can use all the Prayers!! Also, congrats to everyone that got in!!

For those who interviewed here already, do you know if the 2 classic interviews are open or closed file? Also, did you feel that your interviewers had enough time to look at your application before your interview? Thanks!

For those who interviewed here already, do you know if the 2 classic interviews are open or closed file? Also, did you feel that your interviewers had enough time to look at your application before your interview? Thanks!
It’s only 1 traditional interviews 25 mins , 1 group activity (25 ish mins if I remember) and 6 MMI stations 2 mins to read/think then 6 mins with station interviewer. Traditional was my favorite and the person knew my file but that’s just my experience! Good luck on your interview day!!

Edit: Also I interviewed early October and haven’t heard anything

It’s only 1 traditional interviews 25 mins , 1 group activity (25 ish mins if I remember) and 6 MMI stations 2 mins to read/think then 6 mins with station interviewer. Traditional was my favorite and the person knew my file but that’s just my experience! Good luck on your interview day!!

Interesting......I was told by my traditional interviewer that they don't thoroughly read files in advance to reduce bias

thanks!

one thing I was wondering about the group activity: did any of you feel like it was awkward due to someone trying to "one-up" the other group members? was it distracting to be under observation? like did you feel the pressure to perform was so great that you couldn't work together efficiently?

one thing I was wondering about the group activity: did any of you feel like it was awkward due to someone trying to "one-up" the other group members? was it distracting to be under observation? like did you feel the pressure to perform was so great that you couldn't work together efficiently?
No to all! My group didnt have any "one-ups" because the whole point of the activity is to see how well you work with others, so being a "one-up" would only hurt you rather than make you look smarter or whatever. I didnt really notice the person observing because they're not allowed to interact with you anyway. And the task is pretty simple, so there's not much pressure to do anything but make sure you're allowing everyone a chance to voice their opinion. This is just based on my experience, but my advice is to not worry about it!

Interesting......I was told by my traditional interviewer that they don't thoroughly read files in advance to reduce bias
i wouldnt say the interviewer thoroughly read mine tho, he had stuff highlighted and was prepared with questions about a couple of my activities.

It seemed like my interviewer only had my personal statement. My friend's interviewer also made it clear that he didn't know anything that wasn't on her personal statement.

My interviewer had my personal statement, TMDSAS essays, and activities list. He hadn’t read all the activities very thoroughly, but had skimmed them and my interview was basically casually asking me about the ones he wanted to know more about.

My group interview was awkward. I had a one-upper and it was difficult because he didn’t 100% understand the activity. Tactfully tried to make sure everyone was contributing, but def. the weakest part of my interview day.

My interviewer had my personal statement, TMDSAS essays, and activities list. He hadn’t read all the activities very thoroughly, but had skimmed them and my interview was basically casually asking me about the ones he wanted to know more about.

My group interview was awkward. I had a one-upper and it was difficult because he didn’t 100% understand the activity. Tactfully tried to make sure everyone was contributing, but def. the weakest part of my interview day.

Same, I really disliked my group portion. Although I understand the intent of including it, I think because everyone really wants to get in which often means outshining other applicants, there's too much subconscious one-upping and not true teamwork.

Most group activities are hit or miss, depending on the people you're with. I was fortunate enough to have a pleasant group interview without a blatant one-upper, and it went fine.

That’s how group interviews go, you don’t know who’ll be with. If you get a one-upper, I promise it’s just as obvious to the observer as it is to you, and one-upping is not a good look. Tactfully overcoming this reflects well on you.

Basically try not to worry too much about who is in your group, do your best as a good teammate and that will shine.

is it still possible to get a secondary?
Extremely unlikely. Secondary priority submission deadline has passed. I spoke with the admissions team last year around this time and they said they may send out a few more secondaries, but it's unlikely. I figure it's the same this year as well.

- I both work here at Dell and I am a very disappointed applicant who can't get an interview here at Dell for some inexplicable reason.

Also: 512 is the Austin area code, but the Dean is from San Francisco and will sometimes call accepted students via his cell phone, hence the area code difference.

Extremely unlikely. Secondary priority submission deadline has passed. I spoke with the admissions team last year around this time and they said they may send out a few more secondaries, but it's unlikely. I figure it's the same this year as well.

- I both work here at Dell and I am a very disappointed applicant who can't get an interview here at Dell for some inexplicable reason.

Also: 512 is the Austin area code, but the Dean is from San Francisco and will sometimes call accepted students via his cell phone, hence the area code difference.
Thank you and I am sorry. I hope things work out ok.

I got a secondary on 11/16, one day after the priority deadline passed and I submitted it the next day. Do I have any chance for an II? Based on last year they stopped sending II around 12/12.

I got a secondary on 11/16, one day after the priority deadline passed and I submitted it the next day. Do I have any chance for an II? Based on last year they stopped sending II around 12/12.
yes

If anything I would think that they are very interested in you if they sent you a secondary after the priority deadline. I interviewed recently and they more or less confirmed that there will be a January interview date(s).

Just received an II! Only available dates were Dec 13 or Jan 10

Reactions: 2 users