2018-2019 Duke University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know how to check the status and see if my application is complete? I see the bar on my account but how do I know if they have received my LORs and my application is complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how to check the status and see if my application is complete? I see the bar on my account but how do I know if they have received my LORs and my application is complete?
Does it say they are reviewing it currently? that is how mine looks. if so, I'd imagine they have everything.

Does it say they are reviewing it currently? that is how mine looks. if so, I'd imagine they have everything.
This is what it says " Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee." So I'm hoping it means everything is complete

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what it says " Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee." So I'm hoping it means everything is complete

As I recall, that is what mine said as well!

Reactions: 1 user
What type of experiences would count as having advocated for someone?

What type of experiences would count as having advocated for someone?
I feel like anytime you worked with an underserved group, maybe standing up for someone/defending them against something, or other scenarios of this sort could work well.

My example I'm going to be using is working with the homeless and educating people about their struggles, explaining different ways to help, fundraising for them, and other things like that.

I think if you've ever had to stand up for someone, maybe stopping someone from being bullied, speaking up for a friend, defending someone from false accusations etc. could work well too.

Hey everyone,
Do you think it's okay for me to talk about an experience from high school for the advocacy question? I have a very relevant experience that I can talk deeply about.

Hey everyone,
Do you think it's okay for me to talk about an experience from high school for the advocacy question? I have a very relevant experience that I can talk deeply about.
I think this would be fine :)

I have 2 more essay questions not included on the original post:
1: What qualities help a leader be successful and why?
2: What does community-engagement mean to you for either research or working in a community to improve health outcomes? What is the value of community-engagement?

Did others have these as well?

I have 2 more essay questions not included on the original post:
1: What qualities help a leader be successful and why?
2: What does community-engagement mean to you for either research or working in a community to improve health outcomes? What is the value of community-engagement?

Did others have these as well?
Are you doing the PCL Track?

So is the consensus for the first prompt that we pretty much have to talk about our own identity? I was thinking about using an altered version of my diversity essay but that focuses much more on one of my passions/hobbies.

I am in the same boat .... have you heard if anyone got hold/rejection/scheduled interviews yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nop not yet, so I’m guessing we’re being reviewed atm

this is stressful. I need to find a hobby or something :))). Because this is occupying all my time. I actually gained a bit of weight since I got my "nice" suits, so I was thinking as a stress reliever to put an ambitious fitness goal for august. Motivation to fit into the suits so that I won't have to buy new ones... and would help the waiting...

this is stressful. I need to find a hobby or something :))). Because this is occupying all my time. I actually gained a bit of weight since I got my "nice" suits, so I was thinking as a stress reliever to put an ambitious fitness goal for august. Motivation to fit into the suits so that I won't have to buy new ones... and would help the waiting...
I would have bought an interview outfit for myself but not even sure if I am going to get one, stress levels are out the roof!

Why does every question in this secondary have 3-4 parts???

finally finished this beast of an application, good luck to everyone!

Stupid irony of this app is that for some questions that are 500 word limit, I write ~400 words but for the two 400 word essays, Im slightly above 500. As if this secondary wasn't grueling enough...

Hey guys for people who have a secondary, what is the word count on the last secondary question:

9. (Optional) Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application:

Thanks in advance!

Just submitted my secondary to Duke! Good luck to everyone completing. As arduous as the process is, the secondary really made me think about medicine and my values; it was truly an opportunity to grow.

Current student, happy to answer any questions about the Primary Care Leadership Track (PCLT)!

S T R U G G L I N G through this secondary. I'm only halfway through and it's been three weeks since I received it. F

Reactions: 3 users
I was sooooo close to just not doing Duke but since I finished my other secondaries so early I decided to give it a go. Took me one entire week but I managed to conquer the secondary, although I have very little hope that I'll get any further. Submitted 3 weeks after I got it

S T R U G G L I N G through this secondary. I'm only halfway through and it's been three weeks since I received it. F

I feel ya man. It’s been about a month since I’ve gotten mine lol

f2e.jpg_large

Reactions: 2 users
the portal will NOT load though and I'm about to chuck my computer out a window

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!!! Very happy for ya:,)
When did you submit your secondary/what are your stats? If you don't mind sharing :)

complete 7/12 LizzyM between 76-77.

If anyone else is having trouble loading the portal could you please let me know? Thanks!

Edit: portal did eventually load after many tries. They might just be overloaded with people trying to log in? If you are trying to schedule an interview just be persistent haha

Last edited:
complete 6/12 LizzyM between 76-77.

If anyone else is having trouble loading the portal could you please let me know? Thanks!

Edit: portal did eventually load after many tries. They might just be overloaded with people trying to log in? If you are trying to schedule an interview just be persistent haha

Congrats on the interview! Do you mean 7/12? Duke sent out interviews on 7/10...

I may be overthinking this but for question that says "What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions that you hope to make to your community as a medical student and to your career in medicine?" is the community that they are referring to that of the one you join in med school or your hometown community? I'm confused because I'm not sure how I would contribute to my hometown as a med student...

I may be overthinking this but for question that says "What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions that you hope to make to your community as a medical student and to your career in medicine?" is the community that they are referring to that of the one you join in med school or your hometown community? I'm confused because I'm not sure how I would contribute to my hometown as a med student...

I interpreted it like this.
What core values did you get from growing up in your hometown?
Taking these core values into how you will contribute to your new community surrounding Duke and wherever you end up after

"The typical academic profile for a successful applicant is GPA range from 2.8 to 4.0 and typical MCAT range, is 500-528 respectively."

Why did they even bother saying this? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
"The typical academic profile for a successful applicant is GPA range from 2.8 to 4.0 and typical MCAT range, is 500-528 respectively."

Why did they even bother saying this? :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Just in case someone with less than a 2.8/500 or someone with god tier stats past a 528/4 decided to apply

Hey guys!!

So I've been wanting to add Duke to my list for a while now but the only thing stopping me is the LOR requirements. On the MSAR it says, "one letter character reference from community service, campus/community leadership organization, etc." I don't have any "real" leadership experience (mostly just through my lab and through my employment). I have a letter from a music organization I am involved in, but I'm not sure that would count since it isn't community service and I don't have a leadership role. Would a LOR from my employer suffice?

Hey guys!!

So I've been wanting to add Duke to my list for a while now but the only thing stopping me is the LOR requirements. On the MSAR it says, "one letter character reference from community service, campus/community leadership organization, etc." I don't have any "real" leadership experience (mostly just through my lab and through my employment). I have a letter from a music organization I am involved in, but I'm not sure that would count since it isn't community service and I don't have a leadership role. Would a LOR from my employer suffice?

It's hard to answer this for Duke. I'll just lead and say that your best bet is to just call them and see.

However, I'd guess that the letter from the music organization would suffice, as long as the writer knows you well and is able to speak meaningfully to your positive character qualities (teamwork, perseverance, etc.)

It's hard to answer this for Duke. I'll just lead and say that your best bet is to just call them and see.

However, I'd guess that the letter from the music organization would suffice, as long as the writer knows you well and is able to speak meaningfully to your positive character qualities (teamwork, perseverance, etc.)

Hi there! Do you have any tips for the MMI?

Hi there! Do you have any tips for the MMI?

Sure! Of course, I cannot speak to specifics. But, one physician at Duke said it this way to me, "Have energetic fun with it, and just be yourself." He then moved on to say that the point of the MMI is for you to see how you perform under different conditions, especially in relation to your fellow interviewees. Are you selfish and looking only out for yourself? Or, can you work well with others and put them above yourself?

My advice for every interview (not only Duke's MMI) is this - come into the day willing each person in the room to get in with you. Try to make everyone else feel safe and welcome. That positive energy will help foster a comfortable environment and will elevate everyone's game (including yours).

Otherwise, KNOW THYSELF. Know who you are and why you have done the things you have done. I think a key to all of this is simply being reflective.

This is not exhaustive, for sure, but I hope might give you some things to chew on as you prepare.

Reactions: 7 users