2018-2019 Duke University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II yesterday morning! First one!!! Complete July 23, 523, 4.0, Applying PCL track

Edit: Anyone having issues with the portal? When I go to schedule an interview it says "There are no available interview sessions scheduled at this time. Please check back later to schedule your interview session."
Soooo?? I just have to keep checking and waiting for them to post more available days?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Finally submitted this secondary! Did anyone get a complete email? My portal automatically changed to under review

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally submitted this secondary! Did anyone get a complete email? My portal automatically changed to under review

Congrats on finishing the beast. I didn't get a complete e-mail, just a receipt for the payment. The portal should clearly state that your app is under review.

omg I can't believe this! I got an MSTP II!!!!! Life isn't real right now!:soexcited: Submitted Jul 11. LizzyM-71. White dude

Reactions: 9 users
How many applicants do and do not submit the Duke secondary after receiving it? Any stats on this?

How many applicants do and do not submit the Duke secondary after receiving it? Any stats on this?
I don't know of any stats personally but anecdotally, I know a fair chunk of people that didn't bother with this monstrous secondary (that also interviewed at other T10/20s).

II this morning!!! Crying my eyeballs out

Reactions: 8 users
I submitted on July 14th (I think). 3.85+, 514. Strong research. Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on July 14th (I think). 3.85+, 514. Strong research. Good luck to everyone :)
Killer interview to get as your first one, congrats

How strong lol? I’m similar stat wise but submitted a month later (as in a couple of days ago).

Did the people who got IIs receive a call from the dean of admissions when they sent the invite?

For the secondary application, it asks the levels of education for our parents. Does anyone know the difference between some graduate school or professional school vs. terminal degree at graduate school or professional school? Thank you!

For the secondary application, it asks the levels of education for our parents. Does anyone know the difference between some graduate school or professional school vs. terminal degree at graduate school or professional school? Thank you!
I think the former indicates you attended but didnt earn the degree, while the latter indicates you earned it

Reactions: 1 users
II just now!!!! Just absolutely dumbfounded right now

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Congrats to those with interviews at this amazing school! Which dates/days are available?

July 12th, might be worth noting that I spent a lot of time revising their secondary and having others look at it.

I spent a lot of time dreading doing it so maybe that will count for something :D

But in the end I did enjoy reading the results that came out of this and it made writing all my other ones after a breeze

I spent a lot of time dreading doing it so maybe that will count for something :D

But in the end I did enjoy reading the results that came out of this and it made writing all my other ones after a breeze
It was definitely an exercise in inttrospection

How are y'allpreparing for the MMI? Is there a conventional interview during the day as well?

How are y'allpreparing for the MMI? Is there a conventional interview during the day as well?
Best advice I can give is just to be yourself. Not worth it to review scenarios or anything like that.

II!!! Dang, was really not expecting this because I finished this secondary when I was kinda burnt out but I'm very thankful. Complete 8/2

II!!! Dang, was really not expecting this because I finished this secondary when I was kinda burnt out but I'm very thankful. Complete 8/2
Congrats! And thanks for letting us know. Good luck with the rest of the process!

It took me 20 days to get to this secondary and lots of soul searching to finish it. I'm so burnt out that I hope I didn't leave a bunch of typos. After spending three days on this I'll be kinda salty if they reject me in a few days.

Anyone else apply to the PCLT? From previous threads it looks like they take a while to review those apps. Hope the delay doesn't affect my chances for the regular MD o_O

Hey all - I am a student who was accepted to Duke this past cycle and will be matriculating in fall of 2019 after deferring for a year. Therefore, some of us might be classmates one day!
Thank you so much for taking the time out from your busy schedule to answer our questions about Duke Medical School. I have a quick question about the interview. Were you allowed to take notes during the MMI process, or were you required to formulate your answers from memory? I hope that you're enjoying the start of your first year!

Have ii's been sent today from Duke? The tracker says that someone got one before 6:30am today...

Thank you so much for taking the time out from your busy schedule to answer our questions about Duke Medical School. I have a quick question about the interview. Were you allowed to take notes during the MMI process, or were you required to formulate your answers from memory? I hope that you're enjoying the start of your first year!
No notes allowed.

I second @MC_Infarction, in that there are no notes allowed on interview day. This isn’t too bad though! My advice is to read through it a number of times, start formulating an answer in your head, read it again before going in, and then immediately repeat the prompt to the interviewer to make sure that you are understanding it correctly.

Last edited:
I think what is also important to understand is that the MMI will move quickly. The process is not necessarily designed to test your expertise or knowledge about a topic. Rather, they will be looking to see how you think on your feet and your ability to form an opinion and either defend that opinion or accommodate new information and change your opinion accordingly. While the amount of time spent in the MMI total is long, each individual station will feel very short. As others have stated; read the prompt, gather your thoughts, and enter the room ready to have a discussion.

II just now! LM 78, OOS :) hope to see you wonderful people there!

Reactions: 5 users