Jul 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
II today. Complete late August. Very excited to see the place? What are people wearing to the social gathering the night before? I am planning on just doing some slacks and a nice button down shirt.

The night before is very casual! I think I wore blue or kakhi jeans and a button down. Wear whatever you’ll be comfortable in (unless that’s a suit or something, that’d prob be a bit much ;) )

Reactions: rasputinc
Jan 1, 2018
II!!!! I just saw the email which was sent 2 hrs ago (since I wasn't expecting any emails this late in the day), and when I went to schedule an interview, it says "There are no available interview sessions scheduled at this time. Please check back later to schedule your interview session." Has this happened to anyone else before? Does that just mean to check back tomorrow?

Last edited:
Reactions: art2018
Jul 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
II!!!! Yay for alma mater love <3 I just saw the email which was send 2 hrs ago (since I wasn't expecting any emails this late in the day), and when I went to schedule an interview, it says "There are no available interview sessions scheduled at this time. Please check back later to schedule your interview session." Has this happened to anyone else before? Does that just mean to check back tomorrow?

There was only one option when I picked a date yesterday. I thought that was weird at the time. I'm guessing they update it with more open slots as time goes on?

Reactions: Choco_chips

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
II today. Complete late August. Very excited to see the place? What are people wearing to the social gathering the night before? I am planning on just doing some slacks and a nice button down shirt.
Wear whatever. It’s just other students - no one is judging you at all!

Reactions: rasputinc

BigSkyBeta

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yeah but I think that guy was asking when they start releasing pre-II rejects
In the past, they have not sent out pre-II rejects until the end of the year when interview season is over. So come end of the admission cycle, either you have interviewed and will be admitted/waitlisted/denied admission, or you receive an email saying you were unfortunately not selected.

May 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone who has interviewed here—did you bring a pair of shoes to change into for the tour, and if so, do you think they were necessary? Thanks :)

Sep 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone who has interviewed here—did you bring a pair of shoes to change into for the tour, and if so, do you think they were necessary? Thanks :)
It's not "necessary" but you will be much more comfortable. It's a long tour and some people straight up brought tennis shoes. Would recommend.

Jan 8, 2018
Has anyone complete early Sept gotten an II yet?

Reactions: LimXa
Sep 7, 2018
anyone have any interview tips? do they do acting scenarios for their MMIs? and do they have any behavioral stations or is it all scenarios? wondering if i should prep behavioral at all or just focus on MMIs.

May 8, 2018
anyone have any interview tips? do they do acting scenarios for their MMIs? and do they have any behavioral stations or is it all scenarios? wondering if i should prep behavioral at all or just focus on MMIs.
Just because I signed that NDA, I won't answer your specific questions just because Im unsure if it would violate that or not. I will say, however, that the MMI here was the most "normal" out of the three MMI places Ive been. Just do some basic prep and if you meet some med students the night before, ask them what its like (hint hint ;) )

Reactions: looptheloop

looptheloop

Toasted_Sesame_Bagel
2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2014
Status
What's a behavioral station?

looptheloop

Toasted_Sesame_Bagel
2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2014
Status
I meant if any of the MMI stations were something like "Why do you want to be a doctor?", etc. or asked something about your application as opposed to a situational question/prompt.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks did clarifying!

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
R from Duke MSTP earlier today

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical

stickflip723

I wanna grow up to be a debaser
2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2016
Status
II today, complete mid July. The dates available were super inconvenient for my work schedule. Do you think I could call admissions and ask them for a December date instead? And would there be any disadvantage in doing so?

Apr 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
II today, complete mid July. The dates available were super inconvenient for my work schedule. Do you think I could call admissions and ask them for a December date instead? And would there be any disadvantage in doing so?
I suspect the admissions office would accommodate your schedule if you have a conflict. I cannot see how interviewing a bit later in the cycle would harm your chances given that admissions decisions don't issue until late February/early March.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddyice
Aug 1, 2018
Darn ive been complete since late july/early aug and still no love from my alma mater. Does duke do silent rejects or do they give everyone a decision around march by the time they finish interviewing (I think someone said that earlier)

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
I suspect the admissions office would accommodate your schedule if you have a conflict. I cannot see how interviewing a bit later in the cycle would harm your chances given that admissions decisions don't issue until late February/early March.
Agreed - I would call the office and I’m sure they will be happy to accommodate. And because they’re non-rolling, there’s no disadvantage.

Jun 5, 2018
I also got an II recently! Really looking forward to this one! Complete late July. Does anyone know if student hosts are available? I didn't see it mentioned in the II email.

EDIT: Available dates were late Nov and early Dec. Also, I will most likely be flying in. Does anyone know which airport is best to fly in to/out of? Thanks!!!

May 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I also got an II recently! Really looking forward to this one! Complete late July. Does anyone know if student hosts are available? I didn't see it mentioned in the II email.

EDIT: Available dates were late Nov and early Dec. Also, I will most likely be flying in. Does anyone know which airport is best to fly in to/out of? Thanks!!!
Raleigh-Durham airport, probably :)
It only took me ~25 minutes to get to Duke from there.
Congrats on the II!

Reactions: Dr_Yankee

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status

Yeah, you should get an email regarding student hosts sometime before your interview! I’m not sure of the exact timing but they exist. :)

Sep 12, 2018
II Today! My first MMI, I’m looking forward to it. Complete mid-July.
i don't have the same stats as you guys but at least there's hope for those of us complete mid to late july! crossing my fingers for some love from my home school.

Jun 26, 2018
Anyone have any advice on which hotels out of the choices they gave are most ideal? Ideally going for a balanced convenient/cheap option!

Jun 16, 2018
Anyone have any advice on which hotels out of the choices they gave are most ideal? Ideally going for a balanced convenient/cheap option!
I just found an Airbnb and ubered to my interview and then a bunch of ya interviewees split an Uber back to the iarport to save on costs. Way cheaper than a hotel

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Student host would be the cheapest!
But for hotels, both Cambria/University Inn are the two that are closest by. I don’t know the exact cost but you can walk to the hospital.

Reactions: pauliepauliepaulie
Jun 26, 2018
I just found an Airbnb and ubered to my interview and then a bunch of ya interviewees split an Uber back to the iarport to save on costs. Way cheaper than a hotel
Student host would be the cheapest!
But for hotels, both Cambria/University Inn are the two that are closest by. I don’t know the exact cost but you can walk to the hospital.
Thanks for your input guys! @MC_Infarction I tried to get a student host but never was offered one so that's how I ended up needing a last minute hotel, but it's all good I ended up picking one and I'm beyond excited for this interview!

Aug 14, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Super excited to interview here later this month! I was just wondering if there are more traditional stations at MMI, i.e. stations where we discuss Why Duke etc.
Or, are all stations scenario-based? Will the admissions tell us more specifics about the MMI formats (lengths of stations, number of stations, etc) closer to the interview day?

MC_Infarction

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Super excited to interview here later this month! I was just wondering if there are more traditional stations at MMI, i.e. stations where we discuss Why Duke etc.
Or, are all stations scenario-based? Will the admissions tell us more specifics about the MMI formats (lengths of stations, number of stations, etc) closer to the interview day?
I would expect scenarios, and would also be prepared to discuss your app (like at any other interview). They will orient you to the MMI on the morning of the interview.

Jun 5, 2018
For those who have interviewed already and flown out the same night...do you think a 6:10 PM flight is too early? The email read that the interview day ends around 3:30 PM but that the trip to the airport can be anywhere from 30 min to an hour. Also, are security lines generally long? Thanks!

Jun 10, 2018
For those who have interviewed already and flown out the same night...do you think a 6:10 PM flight is too early? The email read that the interview day ends around 3:30 PM but that the trip to the airport can be anywhere from 30 min to an hour. Also, are security lines generally long? Thanks!
That’s totally doable. I flew out around 6:30 pm and still had time to explore campus on my own a bit to kill some time. Even factoring in an hour commute to the airport (only took me a half hour) you should be more than ok