2018-2019 Duke University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what kind of update did you send if you don't mind me asking? i'm thinking about sending a Pre-II letter of interest since i've been complete for a little while

congrats! did you email your update or just upload via portal?

I submitted a pretty significant update letter with new clinical trials I had been working on, a new research poster/presentation, involvement in CME activities, and grades in summer courses. I also concluded with a little blurb about still being interested in the school and hoping to hear from them. Kept it all to one page and submitted on the portal.

Stats? If you don’t mind me asking
I submitted a pretty significant update letter with new clinical trials I had been working on, a new research poster/presentation, involvement in CME activities, and grades in summer courses. I also concluded with a little blurb about still being interested in the school and hoping to hear from them. Kept it all to one page and submitted on the portal.
m?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Duke send out pre-II rejections, or is it an assumed rejection if you don't get an II? Also, is it too late to send a pre-II letter of interest?

Does Duke send out pre-II rejections, or is it an assumed rejection if you don't get an II? Also, is it too late to send a pre-II letter of interest?
I think they change the portal once all of the interview spots are filled, but they don’t send an email notification.
I don’t think it’s too late to send a letter. I called a couple of days ago, and they told me they were still reviewing applications and had a good amount of interview slots open.

I submitted mid-Sep and am figuring out when I would receive an II. Anyone who completed around the same time received II already?

Last edited:
has anyone heard back from Duke’s MSTP?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So my boyfriend and I are both applying to Duke, him to Chemistry grad school and me to Duke MD. He was just accepted there, and I have yet to hear anything, II or otherwise. Is it appropriate to send a pre-II letter of interest with that information, as Duke is both of our top choices? We want to go to the same school, so if I don't get into Duke he will not go either. I just want to give us the best possible chance of both attending our dream school!

Reactions: 1 users
So my boyfriend and I are both applying to Duke, him to Chemistry grad school and me to Duke MD. He was just accepted there, and I have yet to hear anything, II or otherwise. Is it appropriate to send a pre-II letter of interest with that information, as Duke is both of our top choices? We want to go to the same school, so if I don't get into Duke he will not go either. I just want to give us the best possible chance of both attending our dream school!

It might be worthwhile as long as you're competitive for the school, I don't think it would hurt at all.

Reactions: 1 user

Personally, I would advise against it, because I dont think it is a "neccessary update." It would not make your application stand out more. I would support the endeavor if it were your husband, but seeing that it is your boyfriend I personally dont think it will make a difference. When I read your post, the 1st thing that came to mind was: are you really & truly interested in the school because of what it has to offer or are you more interested in it because your boyfriend expressed interest in their grad program so now Duke is even more appealing as a result of your boyfriend's actions/thought and his subsequent acceptance?

I dont think it is a good move, because it may bias the admission's staff in a negative way towards you. Please take what I said with a grain of salt and by no means am i trying to offend you.

I disagree with Orochimaru (btw dope name). We are all human beings, including those in admissions, so this is a valid point and a fair reason for choosing a certain school. That said, I am not certain if it will help. Considering you have not been chosen to interview, I feel like only a significant update would make if, at all, any difference. I think there is no harm in trying tho. Best of luck with everything! I hope it works out for both of you :)

I disagree with Orochimaru (btw dope name). We are all human beings, including those in admissions, so this is a valid point and a fair reason for choosing a certain school. That said, I am not certain if it will help. Considering you have not been chosen to interview, I feel like only a significant update would make if, at all, any difference. I think there is no harm in trying tho. Best of luck with everything! I hope it works out for both of you :)

Seconding this! I also think it depends largely on the school and location (e.g. good luck sending a geographic letter to Harvard or to any NYC school lol), whereas other schools really want to see that you have a support system and that you will thrive not only with their curriculum but also with their environment — Dartmouth comes to mind.

did anyone send fall grades post-interview? I don't think you can upload to portal after your file is closed post-interview

did anyone send fall grades post-interview? I don't think you can upload to portal after your file is closed post-interview

I have an update to send (post-interview) and couldn’t find anywhere to do it, unfortunately :/
If you find a way to do it, please let us know!

II today. They called me and asked if I wanted it so I imagine they're toward the end or filling in cancellations

Still waiting... Complete mid September. Anyone else who submitted around my time in the same boat?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I received word from the admissions office that the interview spots are filled for this cycle meaning even if time slots are still available, they have already selected the potential candidates. They will call applicants for an II if someone withdrew from their interview spot. That was sad news to hear as this is probably a dream school for a lot of us. :( I'm still waiting on a response for an II. Best of luck to those waiting too!

Secondary completed Late Sep/Early Oct.

Reactions: 4 users
I received word from the admissions office that the interview spots are filled for this cycle meaning even if time slots are still available, they have already selected the potential candidates. They will call applicants for an II if someone withdrew from their interview spot. That was sad news to hear as this is probably a dream school for a lot of us. :( I'm still waiting on a response for an II. Best of luck to those waiting too!

Secondary completed Late Sep/Early Oct.
Does this mean that they have made all the calls needed to fill slots and will now only call if someone withdraws? Best of luck to you too!

She told me they are "done" with granting interview spots unless somebody withdraws from their interview, which in this case, she says will be your chance of getting an interview.

For some reason, I question it though because they say your application gets two unique reads, which must means that they have a "waitlist" for interview spots that they call next, but it makes sense since they only interview 700-750 candidates.

She told me they are "done" with granting interview spots unless somebody withdraws from their interview, which in this case, she says will be your chance of getting an interview.

For some reason, I question it though because they say your application gets two unique reads, which must means that they have a "waitlist" for interview spots that they call next, but it makes sense since they only interview 700-750 candidates.

You question what?

I question it because would it be necessary to read through the rest of the application pool if you already have a set of candidates that you want to interview or at least potentially interview?

Oh and to add one more thing to my questioning: I asked if it is necessary to send any updates at this point if you have not heard anything for an interview. She said it does not hurt, but when you do, send the admissions an e-mail notifying you updated your application to get confirmation from the school and to let them know.

I question it because would it be necessary to read through the rest of the application pool if you already have a set of candidates that you want to interview or at least potentially interview?

Oh and to add one more thing to my questioning: I asked if it is necessary to send any updates at this point if you have not heard anything for an interview. She said it does not hurt, but when you do, send the admissions an e-mail notifying you updated your application to get confirmation from the school and to let them know.
Thanks! But what are you questioning? Whether all interview spots have been extended?

Oh sorry I should have been clearer! My fault! Pretty much I am wondering does every applicant truly get two unique reads or is it more of a first come first serve basis like many other medical schools.

Oh sorry I should have been clearer! My fault! Pretty much I am wondering does every applicant truly get two unique reads or is it more of a first come first serve basis like many other medical schools.

Lol its okay! So there really aren’t any open slots or basically they have open slots but aren’t going to give any more interviews?