2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!

First choice school for me!
I was not expecting that email today haha.

Congrats to my future classmates that got notified today. For everyone else hang in there!

Congrats! I knew you had a lot riding on it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On my way to TN! Interview tomorrow.

It was BY FAR the best interview day I attended. All of the staff and faculty were extremely friendly, the students were very forthcoming with their opinions about the school, and the whole day felt like a very personalized experience. Also, the food was really good. :)
Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there a lot of walking outside? Hoping I don't have to pack a giant coat for my interview this week...

Is there a lot of walking outside? Hoping I don't have to pack a giant coat for my interview this week...
you'll not be walking outside very much at all. You might be outside for a total of 5 minutes, and this is just walking to and from the bus and between the two different buildings you'll be visiting.

Reactions: 1 users
you'll not be walking outside very much at all. You might be outside for a total of 5 minutes, and this is just walking to and from the bus and between the two different buildings you'll be visiting.

Oh thank God. It’s 29 and I can’t wear a coat or gloves or anything.

It was BY FAR the best interview day I attended. All of the staff and faculty were extremely friendly, the students were very forthcoming with their opinions about the school, and the whole day felt like a very personalized experience. Also, the food was really good. :)
Good luck.

Nice small group as well!

Holy crap. This school is amazing. If I get in here, I’m probably going.

For anyone who wants to know, the next board meeting is 12/17.

Agree; this interview day was great. Had an awesome day and this is a really rad school. The students seemed super happy and chill, the faculty/staff were warm and welcoming, and I liked the environment a lot.

Agree; this interview day was great. Had an awesome day and this is a really rad school. The students seemed super happy and chill, the faculty/staff were warm and welcoming, and I liked the environment a lot.

Yeah. Mr. Taylor waited like 15 minutes just to say hi to me personally (my interview ran over). They are all so nice and personable. I felt like it was a perfect fit.

Also, how cute is Jonesborough?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was by far the most down to earth and friendly school I interviewed at? People in the area seem genuinely friendly and nice. I had never been to Tennessee before my interview but I’m ready to move down there tomorrow haha. I’ll be so sad if I don’t get accepted!

It was by far the most down to earth and friendly school I interviewed at? People in the area seem genuinely friendly and nice. I had never been to Tennessee before my interview but I’m ready to move down there tomorrow haha. I’ll be so sad if I don’t get accepted!

Same dude. It's amazing. The Texas burrito place in Jonesborough was awesome.

Same dude. It's amazing. The Texas burrito place in Jonesborough was awesome.
I hope I get a chance to check it out in the future! I can't believe I live a 4-5 hour drive from Tennessee but never went down there lol.

Hey guys congrats on interviewing! Would you all be able describe how your interview day went, how many interviewees, how long the interviews were, closed file vs. open file, etc? Thanks :)

Hey guys congrats on interviewing! Would you all be able describe how your interview day went, how many interviewees, how long the interviews were, closed file vs. open file, etc? Thanks :)

Let me put my kids to bed and I’ll give you a detailed play by play.

Okay, so the interview day is awesome. Here’s an outline:

You’ll get there by 0925 (I got there at 0900 and had to wait for almost everyone else), they’ll give you an information packet that has information on your interviewers, and you’ll take a survey on an iPad. There were 6 interviewees in our group.

At 0930 they will take your picture and then you’ll hear a presentation on the school, the admissions process, and a financial aid presentation that I actually thought was very informative. If Ms. Stephanie Cole (who is not related to Ms. Amanda Cole) does the presentation, she is hilarious.

After that, you will get picked up by two med students who will take you on a tour of the main buildings and rooms you will be in as a med student, including an awesome building just for med students to relax and study. Then you’ll take a shuttle to the main hospital where you’ll do a brief tour and eat lunch.

Next, they will take you on a short driving tour of the VA campus (which is actually what the Quillen campus originally was, and the VA is still super active), then take you back to the admissions office to wait for your interviewers to come get you.

The format is traditional interviews. There are two of them, each of them are 1-on-1. The interviewers are a mix of med students, faculty, and community members. All of us had really good experiences with our interviewers. Both of mine went over, and Ms. Cole had to come find me, but no one was upset. They are all just so friendly and awesome.

It is partially open. They get your secondary, your personal statement, and your experiences. Both of my interviewers had a list of questions, but they asked them very organically and conversationally. It was very low stress, and they encourage you to mention any holes in your app that they can’t see so that they can included your explanation in their report.

I believe they allow between 20-60 mins per interview, with the average being about 40 mins. At 60 they come get you lol. But they did say that sometimes you get in and out in 10-15 mins and that you shouldn’t take that as a bad sign.

Anything else?

Oh, and in the packet is the date of the next committee meeting, which is really nice.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, so the interview day is awesome. Here’s an outline:

You’ll get there by 0925 (I got there at 0900 and had to wait for almost everyone else), they’ll give you an information packet that has information on your interviewers, and you’ll take a survey on an iPad. There were 6 interviewees in our group.

At 0930 they will take your picture and then you’ll hear a presentation on the school, the admissions process, and a financial aid presentation that I actually thought was very informative. If Ms. Stephanie Cole (who is not related to Ms. Amanda Cole) does the presentation, she is hilarious.

After that, you will get picked up by two med students who will take you on a tour of the main buildings and rooms you will be in as a med student, including an awesome building just for med students to relax and study. Then you’ll take a shuttle to the main hospital where you’ll do a brief tour and eat lunch.

Next, they will take you on a short driving tour of the VA campus (which is actually what the Quillen campus originally was, and the VA is still super active), then take you back to the admissions office to wait for your interviewers to come get you.

The format is traditional interviews. There are two of them, each of them are 1-on-1. The interviewers are a mix of med students, faculty, and community members. All of us had really good experiences with our interviewers. Both of mine went over, and Ms. Cole had to come find me, but no one was upset. They are all just so friendly and awesome.

It is partially open. They get your secondary, your personal statement, and your experiences. Both of my interviewers had a list of questions, but they asked them very organically and conversationally. It was very low stress, and they encourage you to mention any holes in your app that they can’t see so that they can included your explanation in their report.

I believe they allow between 20-60 mins per interview, with the average being about 40 mins. At 60 they come get you lol. But they did say that sometimes you get in and out in 10-15 mins and that you shouldn’t take that as a bad sign.

Anything else?

Oh, and in the packet is the date of the next committee meeting, which is really nice.

Wow, thank you so much for this awesome write up! It seems that this school is very laid back and just wants to get to know you. I know they do a very extensive screening for all of their applicants, so if you get to the interview stage you're probably set for a possible acceptance. Here is to hoping that I end up getting an interview this cycle, Quillen is definitely on the top of my school list.

Wow, thank you so much for this awesome write up! It seems that this school is very laid back and just wants to get to know you. I know they do a very extensive screening for all of their applicants, so if you get to the interview stage you're probably set for a possible acceptance. Here is to hoping that I end up getting an interview this cycle, Quillen is definitely on the top of my school list.

Yes, it is very much about determining fit. And Mr. Taylor, the associate dean, came by at the end to meet us all in person. He’s a great guy (just like the rest of the staff). I cannot day enough good things about this school. I only had two things I wasn’t super happy about, but all the other positives make me able to easily overlook them.

Yes, it is very much about determining fit. And Mr. Taylor, the associate dean, came by at the end to meet us all in person. He’s a great guy (just like the rest of the staff). I cannot day enough good things about this school. I only had two things I wasn’t super happy about, but all the other positives make me able to easily overlook them.
Cant leave us hanging, what were you not happy with? lol

Cant leave us hanging, what were you not happy with? lol

Lol sorry.

1. It’s mostly letter grades with a couple P/F classes thrown in, plus a class rank. I’d prefer true P/F and no ranking, but honestly it hasn’t seemed to do anything to lower the amount of camaraderie at the school (ie, there seems to be a lot—it seems very tight knit).

2. There are a ton of mandatory classes M1. It eases up in M2, but I really don’t learn well by going to lecture. I like to be able to pause, rewind, look something up, etc. But not everything is mandatory, and it does loosen up into M2 apparently.

But honestly, there are so many other positive things about the school that those two things aren’t enough to push it out of #1.

Lol sorry.

1. It’s mostly letter grades with a couple P/F classes thrown in, plus a class rank. I’d prefer true P/F and no ranking, but honestly it hasn’t seemed to do anything to lower the amount of camaraderie at the school (ie, there seems to be a lot—it seems very tight knit).

2. There are a ton of mandatory classes M1. It eases up in M2, but I really don’t learn well by going to lecture. I like to be able to pause, rewind, look something up, etc. But not everything is mandatory, and it does loosen up into M2 apparently.

But honestly, there are so many other positive things about the school that those two things aren’t enough to push it out of #1.

I might have been misinformed but I thought that anatomy lecture was the only mandatory attendance class during M1?(outside electives)

I might have been misinformed but I thought that anatomy lecture was the only mandatory attendance class during M1?(outside electives)

Not according to the two M1s who gave us our tour. According to them, most of the classes are mandatory with the exception of a few (eg, biostats).

Lol sorry.

From what my guides told me, the only mandatory things are labs and guest lectureres.
I heard this too, cause I know most of biochem isn't mandatory, except for quizzes.

Not according to the two M1s who gave us our tour. According to them, most of the classes are mandatory with the exception of a few (eg, biostats).

That's kind of a bummer to hear, I also learn more effectively from recorded lectures.

From what my guides told me, the only mandatory things are labs and guest lectureres.

I heard this too, cause I know most of biochem isn't mandatory, except for quizzes.

Our tour guides said biochem was mandatory. They made it seem like more classes are mandatory than not for M1.

They said M1 year you are in class basically M-F from around 8-8:30 until 2-3 at the latest, with the exception of Thursdays which is the doctoring day where you are out at a clinic.

Our tour guides said biochem was mandatory. They made it seem like more classes are mandatory than not for M1.
Well, my interview was by the biochem professor and he was telling me how it's not mandatory except for quizzes and how he makes his videos and such. Has a professional microphone and everything.

Lol sorry.

Hi Matthew9Thirtyfive! Current M1 at Quillen and just wanted to clarify about the mandatory classes in M1. Some of the classes (Anatomy & Biochem for starters) are flipped classroom so not 100% like a normal lecture. We will have notes and lecture videos that we study the day before or a few days before the class and the mandatory class is typically for things like quizzes and application questions. There are very few classes in the first semester that are a traditional lecture.

I can't speak too much about the spring semester since we haven't gotten there yet but I can say one of the main classes (histology) is kind of mandatory but really because its mostly lab work. If you are curious what the classes are like for the first year, I recommend looking at Quillen Quirks that is posted to the Quillen Incoming Students website (Incoming Students). This is very detailed and is super helpful in understanding the curriculum!

Edit* Also wanted to say that for most of the classes you will get pre-recorded videos that are available throughout the entire length of the course.

Well, my interview was by the biochem professor and he was telling me how it's not mandatory except for quizzes and how he makes his videos and such. Has a professional microphone and everything.

Huh. Not sure why they told me that then. I specifically asked what the ratio is from mando:non-mando, and they both said it was mostly mando, including biochem (which is what they are in now). Maybe we miscommunicated. I would be quite happy to hear that.

Huh. Not sure why they told me that then. I specifically asked what the ratio is from mando:non-mando, and they both said it was mostly mando, including biochem (which is what they are in now). Maybe we miscommunicated. I would be quite happy to hear that.
That's odd, maybe I misunderstood and they are gonna change it in the future? He did tell me they are trying to have less mandatory lecture.

Hi Matthew9Thirtyfive! Current M1 at Quillen and just wanted to clarify about the mandatory classes in M1. Some of the classes (Anatomy & Biochem for starters) are flipped classroom so not 100% like a normal lecture. We will have notes and lecture videos that we study the day before or a few days before the class and the mandatory class is typically for things like quizzes and application questions. There are very few classes in the first semester that are a traditional lecture.

I can't speak too much about the spring semester since we haven't gotten there yet but I can say one of the main classes (histology) is kind of mandatory but really because its mostly lab work. If you are curious what the classes are like for the first year, I recommend looking at Quillen Quirks that is posted to the Quillen Incoming Students website (Incoming Students). This is very detailed and is super helpful in understanding the curriculum!

Thank you for clarifying! So it seems like maybe they meant that a lot of courses have mandatory days, but I took it to mean that the whole class was mandatory. That just makes me love the school even more (though like I said, even if it was mando lecture, it wasn't a deal breaker for me given how many other great things there are)! Really hoping I get accepted so I can attend.

Edit* Also wanted to say that for most of the classes you will get pre-recorded videos that are available throughout the entire length of the course.
Thanks for the link, thats a detailed document! lol

Wow why have I not seen this link before lol. Thanks for sharing!!!

STATS for current cycle at ETSU COM is up right now. so far 17 out of state interviews and only 3 acceptances and 85 instate and 27 acceptances. looks like there will be a lot of waitlist movement once the new year starts since last cycle they had a 57% acceptance and right now its 29.4%

Reactions: 2 users
STATS for current cycle at ETSU COM is up right now. so far 17 out of state interviews and only 3 acceptances and 85 instate and 27 acceptances. looks like there will be a lot of waitlist movement once the new year starts since last cycle they had a 57% acceptance and right now its 29.4%
YIKES. Please God let me get into this school lol.

Edit: Where can you see this data?

"514 vs. 507"

Suprised they interviewed me at all lol. Guess I should feel grateful!

I think that’s early bias. As the cycle goes on they will accept a lot of people off the hold list and that number will likely go down. I don’t think etsu is a stats ***** like a lot of schools.

Unless they pull an NYU and offer free tuition. It’s hard to see them maintain a 7 point MCAT jump especially when their mission is more local based

I think that’s early bias. As the cycle goes on they will accept a lot of people off the hold list and that number will likely go down. I don’t think etsu is a stats ***** like a lot of schools.
I know, just find it funny personally. I think it will average down to 508 or something.

Unless they pull an NYU and offer free tuition. It’s hard to see them maintain a 7 point MCAT jump especially when their mission is more local based

Etsu is a hidden gem. They only got 2377 apps. Even USUHS got over 3000, and that carries a 7 year adso lol. I mean I’m glad because I have a better shot, but after that interview day, a lot of people are missing out on something awesome.

Etsu is a hidden gem. They only got 2377 apps. Even USUHS got over 3000, and that carries a 7 year adso lol. I mean I’m glad because I have a better shot, but after that interview day, a lot of people are missing out on something awesome.
Ive told people I go to school with about ETSU, they have either never heard of it (somehow) or dont want to go cause its not in a big and trendy city. But oh well, they are the ones missing out on a great place.

Ive told people I go to school with about ETSU, they have either never heard of it (somehow) or dont want to go cause its not in a big and trendy city. But oh well, they are the ones missing out on a great place.

Yeah. I mean honestly JC isn’t that small. I’ve lived in much smaller. And it’s pretty close to a bunch of bigger places. Definitely not a big city though, and some people don’t like not living in a city I guess.

Yeah. I mean honestly JC isn’t that small. I’ve lived in much smaller. And it’s pretty close to a bunch of bigger places. Definitely not a big city though, and some people don’t like not living in a city I guess.
I live in a huge metro area now and I am sick of it lol. I am ready to move somewhere smaller, calmer, and friendlier.

I know, just find it funny personally. I think it will average down to 508 or something.

They give out like ~120 acceptances a year for almost half as many spots. I imagine as the cycle goes on and cannidates withdraw to attend other schools the states will come down to previous averages.

If I remember correctly, it was the same MCAT average around this time during last year's cycle. That number went way down after traffic day last year.