2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Etsu is a hidden gem. They only got 2377 apps. Even USUHS got over 3000, and that carries a 7 year adso lol. I mean I’m glad because I have a better shot, but after that interview day, a lot of people are missing out on something awesome.

I agree that I'm surprised they don't get more apps but I also agree with you and @marine12 that the lack of city feel probably affects this.

It's a great school with awesome resources to build good physicians. Looking at those stats, I'm surprised I was included as an OOS interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. my mcat or GPA isn't close to that. Surprised i got accepted already. I mustve STOMPED the interview

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. my mcat or GPA isn't close to that. Surprised i got accepted already. I mustve STOMPED the interview

Rock on dude. I'm praying I get the call 12/18. I actually interviewed with a friend from school. I hope we both get in. It’d be cool to go there already knowing someone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that I'm surprised they don't get more apps but I also agree with you and @marine12 that the lack of city feel probably affects this.

It's a great school with awesome resources to build good physicians. Looking at those stats, I'm surprised I was included as an OOS interview.
Are you a veteran? Im OOS as well. I am a veteran, I am guessing that helped me a bit.

II today scheduled for February 7th!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!! Any advice for interview day?

Relax and be yourself. They are very welcoming and warm there. The whole day is just to see if they are a fit for you and if you’re a fit for them.

Oh, and load up on the food at lunch. They aren’t kidding when they say you can get as much as you want.

Relax and be yourself. They are very welcoming and warm there. The whole day is just to see if they are a fit for you and if you’re a fit for them.

Oh, and load up on the food at lunch. They aren’t kidding when they say you can get as much as you want.
I second this, ask for a plastic bag from the cashier, you can really load up. I did lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Any advice for interview day?

Enjoy your lunch but don't eat yourself into a food coma 1v1 interviews are the last part of your day.

Anyone else getting antsy for the admission committee meeting on the 17th?

Uh, me. I've texted my friend that I interviewed with today and yesterday about it lol. I also have a countdown on my phone going.
Yeah man, im like SIX more days seems like forever. Then a few after that until they inform us lol.

Yeah man, im like SIX more days seems like forever. Then a few after that until they inform us lol.

They told us at the presentation that they would almost certainly call the day after the meeting. That's what I'm banking on.

6 days, 15 hours, 23 mins on the dot until 0700 on 12/18 lol.

Quick question--- if I'm already accepted, does getting a C in a class mess up my acceptance? Their letter just says "maintain satisfactory grades" but I'm not sure if there's a specific cutoff.
Just curious :)

Last edited:
Quick question--- if I'm already accepted, does getting a C in a class mess up my acceptance? Their letter just says "maintain satisfactory grades" but I'm not sure if there's a specific cutoff.
Just curious :)

As long as you pass I don't think you have anything to worry about man.

Okay, not sure if I'm going to be able to focus on my final tomorrow lol.
I’m done with finals but will be on a plane for most of the work day tomorrow. Will be anxiously waiting for that flight to be over lol.

Fingers crossed for you guys!

Last edited:
For those that interviewed, what did you think of Johnson City?

Between Johnson City and Jonesborough, it is an awesome area. Plenty to do, lots of outdoor stuff, great eats, and interesting stuff like a fossil dig site and the international storytelling center.

For those that interviewed, what did you think of Johnson City?
Johnson City native here.

Great place to live, honestly. Lots of great food, outdoor activities, festivals, etc. And an hour's drive to Asheville for a nice day trip or weekend. Also about an hour and a half away from Knoxville.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Stings just a little: was placed on active hold after leaving interviews with immense confidence. Not so glamorous for SDN, but wanted to share for those lurking with the same outcome so they remember they're not alone.

Stings just a little: was placed on active hold after leaving interviews with immense confidence. Not so glamorous for SDN, but wanted to share for those lurking with the same outcome so they remember they're not alone.
I know that feeling. I was in the same situation. It sucks.

To make you feel a bit better--

I was on hold for a total of 24 days before I got accepted! There is still hope, yet!

I was on hold for a total of 24 days before I got accepted! There is still hope, yet!

24 days isn't so bad! I appreciate the uplifting comment, seriously. Best of luck to you!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee plans to meet post-12/17/18?

That's encouraging! Best of luck to you active hold folks

Does anyone know when the admissions committee plans to meet post-12/17/18?
Last year's committee met 1/22, which would mean 1/21 for this year. However, that is MLK Day, so either 14th or 28th. With holiday breaks and fewer interviews during the coming weeks because of them, my guess would be the 28th with notifications on the 29th. Hopefully, interviewees will let us know in the coming weeks when they find out. Also not trying to be debbie downer but quick turn around on the waitlist is probably the exception at this point. I've been waitlisted since October. 2 meetings have passed since then, and nothing. Hoping for some love after the new year though..

Last year's committee met 1/22, which would mean 1/21 for this year. However, that is MLK Day, so either 14th or 28th. With holiday breaks and fewer interviews during the coming weeks because of them, my guess would be the 28th with notifications on the 29th. Hopefully, interviewees will let us know in the coming weeks when they find out. Also not trying to be debbie downer but quick turn around on the waitlist is probably the exception at this point. I've been waitlisted since October. 2 meetings have passed since then, and nothing. Hoping for some love after the new year though..
Thanks for the response and you're right, it's important to keep realistic probability in mind. You were interviewed very early and are still in the running so remember there is great value in surviving two meetings! Did you happen to call to find out how you ranked on the waitlist?