2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on active hold for one committee meeting prior to getting accepted. Dont get discouraged!

Hold list for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was on active hold for one committee meeting prior to getting accepted. Dont get discouraged!
Yeah, kinda bummed, but they didn’t reject me to that is the plus! Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Active hold, but got an acceptance from another school today.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if you are on the hold list does the school want updated grades from you? I have my fall grades in, so I would think they would like them?

Does anyone know if you are on the hold list does the school want updated grades from you? I have my fall grades in, so I would think they would like them?

They are super open and receptive. They took a letter of intent from me after my interview, so I bet if you email Ms. Cole (Amanda type), she’ll take it and put it in your file.

They are super open and receptive. They took a letter of intent from me after my interview, so I bet if you email Ms. Cole (Amanda type), she’ll take it and put it in your file.
Thanks! I will do that. The grades will give a decent bump to my GPA so maybe it will help, cant hurt!

I would, updates also show continued interest.

Received II yesterday, Primary 9/17, secondary 9/27, complete 10/18. Excited to interview here.

So when they admission committee meets again they look at your application again and accept, reject, or keep holding youThat'sts how the hold works?

So when they admission committee meets again they look at your application again and accept, reject, or keep holding youThat'sts how the hold works?

I am not certain they will evaluate every active hold cannidate at each committee meeting. Regardless sending in an update like you did gives them an additional reason to revisit your file. Though if you are kept on active hold you will not receive an update saying "you're still on active hold".

I remember Mr.Taylor explained that once your file is complete (post interview) four random members of the admissions comittee will review your entire file. They each will give you a score 1-9 with 9 being the highest. The four scores get compiled to a composite score. They then vote on what score they want to accept, put on hold and reject (my memory gets hazy here). A good questions for admission would be if updates can lead to a change in that "composite score" or if they are just added to file for review the next time you're brought up...

I am not certain they will evaluate every active hold cannidate at each committee meeting. Regardless sending in an update like you did gives them an additional reason to revisit your file. Though if you are kept on active hold you will not receive an update saying "you're still on active hold".

I remember Mr.Taylor explained that once your file is complete (post interview) four random members of the admissions comittee will review your entire file. They each will give you a score 1-9 with 9 being the highest. The four scores get compiled to a composite score. They then vote on what score they want to accept, put on hold and reject (my memory gets hazy here). A good questions for admission would be if updates can lead to a change in that "composite score" or if they are just added to file for review the next time you're brought up...
That is a good question. I will ask them after Christmas and see what they say!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the next committee meeting is? Thanks!

Does anyone know when the next committee meeting is? Thanks!

It seems like they usually meet Monday of the 3rd week each month but that is a holiday for January.

Just got a II here! It's my first interview so if anyone could give me any insight that would be great!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a II here! It's my first interview so if anyone could give me any insight that would be great!

Prepare to love the school! Seriously. It was not at the top of my list (though I was very interested to see what all the hype was about) until I interviewed.

They basically tell you to be there before a certain time, but get there early as the parking fills up quickly (don't forget to print out your parking permit before you go!). You'll check in with Ms. Amanda Cole and take a quick survey on an iPad. They also have a packet for you that contains information about your interviewers, the school, and the area.

The interview groups are small. My interview group was only six people. Once everyone is there, you'll go into a conference room for a presentation on the school, the history of the VA campus, financial aid, and the admissions process. Ours was given by Ms. Stephanie Cole (no relation to Amanda Cole!), and it was very informative and informal.

After that, you'll be given a tour of the campus by two first or second year students. Feel free to ask whatever questions you have. They are very honest and want to give you honest feedback so that you go to a school you fit in with. They really care about fit. After the tour of the medical school buildings, you'll go eat lunch at the hospital. They give you a meal coupon, and you can get as much food as you want. Seriously. They encouraged us to bring stuff home lol.

Then you'll do a tour of the hospital with a third or fourth year student (you may do this before eating--it depends on your group). Again, ask whatever questions you have.

After the hospital, you'll take a short shuttle tour of the campus looking at the different VA buildings and their history. Then you'll go back to the main building and wait for your interviewers to come get you. You'll do two interviews. They are traditional format, partially closed file. They'll have your experiences and personal statement, but not your grades or MCAT. The atmosphere for both of mine (and for basically everyone at my interview day) was very relaxed and conversational. They are just trying to get to know you, so be yourself.

I was asked questions about my leadership experiences, working in small groups, what causes I'm passionate about, books I've read and enjoyed, what I do for fun, etc. They care a lot about fit, so be prepared to answer "Why Quillen?" as it is almost guaranteed to come up in at least one, if not both, of your interviews.

After your interviews are done, you'll check out and then say goodbye! In your packet, your sheet will have the date of the next board meeting. They will vote on your application at that board meeting, and if you are accepted, you will get a phone call the next day. If you are put on hold, you'll either get an email or a snail mail. Rejections are sent by mail.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions about the interview.

II today. I’m a heavy underdog MCAT wise and have an urban background so I’m pretty surprised. Fingers crossed!!

I have withdrawn from all other programs, so it set in stone :). Still hunting hard for a house though.

The school updates this page on their incoming students page often; it doesn't have all of the options but its a good place to start if you are looking for areas recommended by current medical students! Housing

The school updates this page on their incoming students page often; it doesn't have all of the options but its a good place to start if you are looking for areas recommended by current medical students! Housing

I looked on there but there aren’t many options for a student with a wife and kids.

Ah gotcha, not sure who all has a family coming in. I would recommend looking a little further away from the school because the undergraduate campus is really close and that area is heavily populated with undergraduates.

Ah gotcha, not sure who all has a family coming in. I would recommend looking a little further away from the school because the undergraduate campus is really close and that area is heavily populated with undergraduates.

Yeah, we’re looking in Jonesborough mostly.

Great school, nice people. Relaxed interview. They really like applicants that are a 'good fit'...primary care, rural medicine, etc.

iews. They are traditi
Prepare to love the school! Seriously. It was not at the top of my list (though I was very interested to see what all the hype was about) until I interviewed.

They basically tell you to be there before a certain time, but get there early as the parking fills up quickly (don't forget to print out your parking permit before you go!). You'll check in with Ms. Amanda Cole and take a quick survey on an iPad. They also have a packet for you that contains information about your interviewers, the school, and the area.

The interview groups are small. My interview group was only six people. Once everyone is there, you'll go into a conference room for a presentation on the school, the history of the VA campus, financial aid, and the admissions process. Ours was given by Ms. Stephanie Cole (no relation to Amanda Cole!), and it was very informative and informal.

After that, you'll be given a tour of the campus by two first or second year students. Feel free to ask whatever questions you have. They are very honest and want to give you honest feedback so that you go to a school you fit in with. They really care about fit. After the tour of the medical school buildings, you'll go eat lunch at the hospital. They give you a meal coupon, and you can get as much food as you want. Seriously. They encouraged us to bring stuff home lol.

Then you'll do a tour of the hospital with a third or fourth year student (you may do this before eating--it depends on your group). Again, ask whatever questions you have.

After the hospital, you'll take a short shuttle tour of the campus looking at the different VA buildings and their history. Then you'll go back to the main building and wait for your interviewers to come get you. You'll do two interviews. They are traditional format, partially closed file. They'll have your experiences and personal statement, but not your grades or MCAT. The atmosphere for both of mine (and for basically everyone at my interview day) was very relaxed and conversational. They are just trying to get to know you, so be yourself.

I was asked questions about my leadership experiences, working in small groups, what causes I'm passionate about, books I've read and enjoyed, what I do for fun, etc. They care a lot about fit, so be prepared to answer "Why Quillen?" as it is almost guaranteed to come up in at least one, if not both, of your interviews.

After your interviews are done, you'll check out and then say goodbye! In your packet, your sheet will have the date of the next board meeting. They will vote on your application at that board meeting, and if you are accepted, you will get a phone call the next day. If you are put on hold, you'll either get an email or a snail mail. Rejections are sent by mail.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions about the interview.

This was so detailed! Thank you so much!! How long was each interview?

The c/o 2023 FB group is up! @WMMCDNLD1 and I just made it, so go ahead and join QCOM peeps. There's a question to filter out bots and spam, so one of us has to approve it. I have the app on my phone, but just in case, if you join and one of us doesn't approve you within a couple minutes, just ping me here.

QCOM c/o 2023 Facebook Group

I say that because we are in the latter half of January and they still have not even offered a full class worth of acceptances yet. While many other schools are pretty much full or only a few seats left. ETSU still has a third of their seat to even offer acceptance for. So I think that will give those of us on the hold list a lot of hope.

Last edited:
Do either of you remember the numbers for acceptances offered before it changed? I think it was 30 IS and 4 OOS.
I thought I saw 28 IS and 4 OOS acceptances offered. Either way, there hasn’t been much movement in 2 months. Of course there was the holiday which might have put things on hold for a little bit. Just speculation.

I thought I saw 28 IS and 4 OOS acceptances offered. Either way, there hasn’t been much movement in 2 months. Of course there was the holiday which might have put things on hold for a little bit. Just speculation.

Yeah, I remember there being 29 IS people who have accepted the offer of acceptance, but I was a little fuzzier on the total number offered. Now that I think about it though, I'm pretty sure it was 30 offered and 29 people who accepted it for IS and 4/4 for OOS. Not much difference now. The MCAT went down a point, and the overall GPA went down by 0.01. Not much change.

I have a feeling there will be a ton of movement after traffic day. Like half the class will get picked up April/may.

Honestly, this delay and waitlist emphasis have put a rather sour taste in my mouth regarding this school that I LOVED after the interview. Got accepted by 2 other schools in the area soon after interviews and have already worked towards living options, job options for the wife, and childcare options. I know this is a new set of traffic rules, but really seems like an overly cautious approach by Quillen at this point that may actually backfire. Caution may end up pushing others like me towards other schools that aren't waiting til the last minute to reciprocate interest...

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Honestly, this delay and waitlist emphasis have put a rather sour taste in my mouth regarding this school that I LOVED after the interview. Got accepted by 2 other schools in the area soon after interviews and have already worked towards living options, job options for the wife, and childcare options. I know this is a new set of traffic rules, but really seems like an overly cautious approach by Quillen at this point that may actually backfire. Caution may end up pushing others like me towards other schools that aren't waiting til the last minute to reciprocate interest...

I'm sorry to hear that. I do know how you feel though. I got WLed at another school that I really liked, and every time I update them, it's like, "oh you'll hear something pretty soon," or whatever. I actually interviewed at a school that was near the top of my list. I got WLed there, and honestly I felt like I was second string. It made me not want to go there. But they have accepted their entire class and some more at this point, so it wasn't just because they're being cautious FWIW.

I hope people who make a good fit don't end up going elsewhere because they're being cautious. They said at our interview that most people are going to be put on hold because of the new traffic rules, and having been WLed at other schools, I know how much that sucks. Ultimately, I think you have to go where you feel like you fit in best, where you feel wanted, and where you feel God wants you to be.

So do we know when the admissions committee is meeting again?

what are the new traffic rules?

what are the new traffic rules?

There is no accepted students report this year. Previously, med schools would get a report in February letting them know where else accepted applicants had been accepted. This year, that has been replaced with an option for applicants to check “plan to enroll”, which allows the school you select that for to see which schools you’ve been accepted to. So it’s much more limited, and a lot of schools are being more careful with acceptances since they don’t want to over accept.