2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah it’s totally weird. I really don’t understand.

Oh thats definitely weird if you didn't get your vcu yet if you submitted that early. My stats are significantly lower than yours 3.4 gpa 511 asian male non traditional. Submitted vcu in September got interview in 4 late september

I did hear from evms 2 weeks ago clarifying my residency and I had to fill out my application and did speak with KerryJones who approved my residency.

Oh thats definitely weird if you didn't get your vcu yet if you submitted that early. My stats are significantly lower than yours 3.4 gpa 511 asian male non traditional. Submitted vcu in September got interview in 4 late september

I did hear from evms 2 weeks ago clarifying my residency and I had to fill out my application and did speak with KerryJones who approved my residency.
No I got VCU’s. Just not EVMS

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody else finding the cost of attending this interview prohibitive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey M2 here, I seem to remember someone saying if you contact EVMS admissions they sometimes can pair you up with student hosts to save some money on lodging! I personally stayed a little further out to save some money since I was driving in anyways.

Thanks for all the feedback! Can anybody who has interviewed here give some insight on the interview? I saw that in the past they do stress interviews - is this still the case?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the feedback! Can anybody who has interviewed here give some insight on the interview? I saw that in the past they do stress interviews - is this still the case?

Mine was very laid back and conversational. My interviewers were awesome and made me feel very comfortable.

It was panel style so there were 3 interviewers (student, faculty, and faculty/community member). Mine wasn’t stressful, I wouldn’t say it was as conversational as some others I had, but overall not bad

Just cancelled my interview in early November, so I hope that opens up a spot for one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
I was a student interviewer during the 2016-2017 cycle and per admissions we try to keep the interviews as LOW stress as possible since we want to see who you are under the huge bundle of nerves on interview day :) We just want to get to know you a bit better and while there are certain questions that we ask all candidates, we try to keep the interview as conversational as possible so you don't feel like you're in front of a 2-3 person firing squad trying to drill you with a bunch of questions. There will be some tricky questions that require some thought but this is not meant to drive you against a wall--we just want to see how you think.

If you do feel like you had an inappropriate interview experience, please please PLEASE let us know before the end of your interview day so we can make sure that those interviewers aren't used for future interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a student interviewer during the 2016-2017 cycle and per admissions we try to keep the interviews as LOW stress as possible since we want to see who you are under the huge bundle of nerves on interview day :) We just want to get to know you a bit better and while there are certain questions that we ask all candidates, we try to keep the interview as conversational as possible so you don't feel like you're in front of a 2-3 person firing squad trying to drill you with a bunch of questions. There will be some tricky questions that require some thought but this is not meant to drive you against a wall--we just want to see how you think.

If you do feel like you had an inappropriate interview experience, please please PLEASE let us know before the end of your interview day so we can make sure that those interviewers aren't used for future interviews.

Thank you so much!!! Hope to attend a school that has students as kind as you :3

Hey Rukia,

You recommend giving a call to the admissions office? I had an email from Kerry where I had to fill out all of these forms along with taxes etc, to prove my domicile intent back in late September and my application only reach completion status on 10/09. Submitted secondary back in early August. Seemed weird to fill all of that in so many months later.

Thanks

Hey Rukia,

You recommend giving a call to the admissions office? I had an email from Kerry where I had to fill out all of these forms along with taxes etc, to prove my domicile intent back in late September and my application only reach completion status on 10/09. Submitted secondary back in early August. Seemed weird to fill all of that in so many months later.

Thanks
It doesn't hurt to call the admissions office if you have questions or need clarification about the application process--they're very friendly! :) I'm OOS and don't recall having to fill out any forms post-secondary so unfortunately I can't be more helpful, sorry!

It doesn't hurt to call the admissions office if you have questions or need clarification about the application process--they're very friendly! :) I'm OOS and don't recall having to fill out any forms post-secondary so unfortunately I can't be more helpful, sorry!

Called. They basically said just wait for any updates via email. T_T

I assume you already got your vcu invite? I heard back from vcu and silence from here.
Also have heard back from VCU and silence from here (shoutout for VCU for being my only II so far lmao)

Has anyone who interviewed in mid october heard back yet?
I called them and they said that the committee meets first and third Monday of the month . - so next Monday is the next one . She said I should probably expect decision next week (I was mid October )

Just wondering, is the interview open file?

Just wondering, is the interview open file?
It is. On your panel there'll be one AdCom that has seen your entire app file, and one or two other people (usually a physician and maybe a med student) that have seen your essays and PS. But they have certain other things they ask you and gauge your responses to, so depending on how the conversation goes they may or may not bring up a lot of stuff from your app. Like for mine, we talked about my actual file very little except for one particular shadowing experience. But again, just depends on where the interview conversation takes you.

It is. On your panel there'll be one AdCom that has seen your entire app file, and one or two other people (usually a physician and maybe a med student) that have seen your essays and PS. But they have certain other things they ask you and gauge your responses to, so depending on how the conversation goes they may or may not bring up a lot of stuff from your app. Like for mine, we talked about my actual file very little except for one particular shadowing experience. But again, just depends on where the interview conversation takes you.

I see! Thanks for the quick response!

Brace yourselves , fellow applicants . The admissions committee is meeting today ....
You think even for people that just interviewed on Friday? I thought we were told we wouldn’t find out for a few weeks

You think even for people that just interviewed on Friday? I thought we were told we wouldn’t find out for a few weeks
It's probably mostly for later October interviews. They meet I think the first and third Monday of every month, so they've had roughly 6 interview dates since their last meeting (so like ~120 applicants to look at). They'll probably get through the end of October, then review the early November ones when they meet before Thanksgiving.

How do send updates to this school? Portal or email someone?

I am obsessively checking email every 5 min .... anyone heard today yet ?

Last year people started hearing back around 9:30-10am

EDIT: nevermind, checked last year's thread again and it was more like noon

Yep ... so heartbreaking

I'm sorry. :( On the bright side, you got 4 IIs, so it's very likely that at least one will turn into an acceptance. Hopefully there will be waitlist movement too.

I think I interviewed the same day as you. Haven't gotten any emails yet...

Yep ... so heartbreaking

I've been following this thread intensely as I also have a decision pending. I've been rooting for you and despite some of the negative consensus on their WL movement at the school, I personally think it's an intelligent way they look through applicants. I'm hoping for positive movement for you and fingers crossed for all of us still waiting on decisions!

Did anybody who interviewed on Friday hear back?

Just accepted via email!

Congrats! Can you tell me when you interviewed? Trying to see where they are at/if they’re giving notifications in order.

I interviewed 10/10 and was accepted today like an hr ago!

Does anyone know if people who interviewed on 10/19 will find out today? I know we missed the cutoff for the adcoms meeting that took place on the 3rd Monday of October, but I'm wondering if we should find out today too? Or does it take 2 meetings instead of 1 to make a decision, and we won't find out until after 11/19?