2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted via email a few minutes ago! Interviewed 10/19, IS, this is my dream school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean if EVMS hasn't emailed us yet? I was interviewed on 10/19, but haven't heard anything, no rejections, waitlist, or anything.

Reactions: 1 user
What does it mean if EVMS hasn't emailed us yet? I was interviewed on 10/19, but haven't heard anything, no rejections, waitlist, or anything.
Same... interviewed on the same day too!

Same... interviewed on the same day too!
It's even more confusing since EVMS is usually pretty good about telling people they're rejected or waitlisted, as far as I've heard at least, so I really don't know how to interpret their radio silence...

It's even more confusing since EVMS is usually pretty good about telling people they're rejected or waitlisted, as far as I've heard at least, so I really don't know how to interpret their radio silence...
Interviewed on 10/19, was waitlisted - OOS.

And you got an email right? That's so weird, I had one of the first interview slots that day...
Yep, they emailed me this morning. Middle third at that so I'll probably have to scrap this school from the list. I'm not sure what silence means, you can check previous years to see.

Does anyone know if people who interviewed on 10/19 will find out today? I know we missed the cutoff for the adcoms meeting that took place on the 3rd Monday of October, but I'm wondering if we should find out today too? Or does it take 2 meetings instead of 1 to make a decision, and we won't find out until after 11/19?

I'm thinking you may be pushed til next adcom meeting. I interviewed 10/3 and just got the acceptance email today, while it seems that much of sdn from my interview date found out about 10/19.

I'm thinking you may be pushed til next adcom meeting. I interviewed 10/3 and just got the acceptance email today, while it seems that much of sdn from my interview date found out about 10/19.
Weird, so even though most of your cohort found out much earlier, you just found out? And they didn't send an email or anything before then, huh? Sounds like torture.

Weird, so even though most of your cohort found out much earlier, you just found out? And they didn't send an email or anything before then, huh? Sounds like torture.
Yeah no communication until the acceptance today. So just a warning to all that it may take greater than 1 month to get a decision.

I know it's frustrating to not hear anything while the rest of your cohort does. I do know that sometimes, if adcoms can't agree on an applicant, they'll put their file inside and revisit them at the next meeting- so this could be one reason why some of you who interviewed awhile back might not have heard yet. Furthermore, if the adcom who interviewed you can't attend a meeting, your app is likely to be pushed to the next one.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the chance of getting an II this year if you had an interview last year and were waitlisted middle tier IS? Complete 08/10 this year and haven't had any communication

Accepted on Tuesday! OOS, LM ~ 69, ORM. I interviewed on 10/12

Accepted today! Interviewed on 10/19. OOS LM ~64. Good luck to everyone else. I'm still in shock. AH!

Reactions: 1 users
Is a waitlist basically a soft reject here? Is it bad to call and ask where I am on the waitlist?

Accepted today! Interviewed on 10/19. OOS LM ~64. Good luck to everyone else. I'm still in shock. AH!
Congrats! I'm sure you deserve it! Hey, can I PM you and ask you about your interview and how you prepared. I have a LM close to that, have an interview, and really hope to land it. :)

Complete in August- still nothing. Is there a consensus on whether or not this is a silent reject?

Congrats! I'm sure you deserve it! Hey, can I PM you and ask you about your interview and how you prepared. I have a LM close to that, have an interview, and really hope to land it. :)
Sure thing! :)

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/26

EDIT: just called and found out I am in the upper third of the waitlist

Last edited:
What's the chance of getting an II this year if you had an interview last year and were waitlisted middle tier IS? Complete 08/10 this year and haven't had any communication

Me too. IS and just twiddling thumbs.

Is a waitlist basically a soft reject here? Is it bad to call and ask where I am on the waitlist?

No, not at all- in fact, I suggest you do! You’ll have to sift through this thread to find more info about the waitlist, but it’s split into thirds and about 1/3-1/2 of the class ends up coming from the waitlist.

Waitlisted today. Interviewed 10/19. LM 63.3 URM.

anyone who interviewed on 10/31 hear back yet?

Really enjoyed my time interviewing here last week. EVMS has a fantastic program, I especially loved the school's emphasis on student wellness. If anyone I interviewed with is reading this, I wish you the very best and hope our paths cross in the future!

Really enjoyed my time interviewing here last week. EVMS has a fantastic program, I especially loved the school's emphasis on student wellness. If anyone I interviewed with is reading this, I wish you the very best and hope our paths cross in the future!

Current EVMS M1 here. Student wellness means mandatory student wellness sessions and assignments that detract from student wellness.

Current EVMS M1 here. Student wellness means mandatory student wellness sessions and assignments that detract from student wellness.
Interesting. A few students I spoke with were happy about their access to the SMH clinicians among other things. Are you unhappy with your decision to attend?

Is there anyone who interviewed late September and hasn't heard back yet?

Hello! I'm so sorry if this question has already been asked... Does anyone know if EVMS is receptive to in-area requests?

In case anyone needs to feel better about their intelligence: I submitted my primary here ON the deadline (15 November), like, "****, why not, they reject pre-secondary so I'll risk the 35 bucks." Today they called my bluff and sent me the secondary. I'm calling their bluff and submitting it. Joke's on them tho cause I get to spend all night writing these essays and all they get is my donation.

I'm an excellent poker player.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Early October interview.

Loved this school's approach, curriculum, and felt like I vibed with current students and my interview group.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my 4th waitlist of the cycle from EVMS earlier yayyyyyy

C'mon EVMS just reject me already. Complete in August and zilch.

I'm IS and they still haven't gotten back to me. Sure, my MCAT isn't the best, but I honestly thought my overall app and essays for this school was pretty good :(

I'm IS and they still haven't gotten back to me. Sure, my MCAT isn't the best, but I honestly thought my overall app and essays for this school was pretty good :(

How low is low? I know an OOS white male here who had a 508, at the white coat thing the dean said our class average was 511.

How low is low? I know an OOS white male here who had a 508, at the white coat thing the dean said our class average was 511.

It’s a 508 but that was also my retake score. I do have a higher gpa but still :/

It’s a 508 but that was also my retake score. I do have a higher gpa but still :/

I’ll avoid too much unsolicited advice —it’s likely the mcat is a yellow flag but it’s my sense (from personal experience) that EVMS is a very wholistic evaluate kind of school. If you fit their mission they’ll overlook it, at least that’s my personal experience. I did well on the MCAT but had a whole box of other issues.

I’ll avoid too much unsolicited advice —it’s likely the mcat is a yellow flag but it’s my sense (from personal experience) that EVMS is a very wholistic evaluate kind of school. If you fit their mission they’ll overlook it, at least that’s my personal experience. I did well on the MCAT but had a whole box of other issues.

Thanks for lmk! Yeah, I figure the MCAT is holding me back at a lot of schools :( I see that you're at EVMS. Could I PM you with a few questions?