2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have to email / call the admissions office for pretty much everything after submitting the secondary application.

Is that okay to do? I don’t want to annoy them haha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't because unless you haven't gotten an interview, calling in won't change much haha. You either got an interview or you are in limbo...calling over the phone won't change their minds.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II today, complete in July. Unlikely to attend

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today- they are currently scheduling for early/mid Feb. Will be withdrawing my application but good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Does EVMS accept updates, like on volunteering activities? If so how do we send them in? (I'm on the waitlist)

Reactions: 1 user
II today! Complete 10/15. 1 January date open and 5 February dates with open seats!!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my offer today. Good luck to all of you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
All,
I am a M1 here at EVMS. I am not a regular poster of this thread. I'd like to give everyone an accurate look of what life at EVMS is like.

To start off, there seems to be a divide on who enjoys the Norfolk area. Those from the west coast seem to not like it here much, but those from the midwest and east coast seem to really like it. I am from the midwest, so I really enjoy Norfolk. It is a city with a trauma 1 hospital, with affordable housing nearby, and if staying in the area it is very easy to get to and from school with minimal traffic. There are the activities of the big city, good restaurants, and a beach which is only 20 minutes away. But as the Californians here say....it's not Cali....

Anyways I digress. The school administration is very good in pretty much every area EXCEPT ONE. The technology department lags about 10 years behind my undergraduate. Connecting to wifi is a pain, and calendar and scheduling are still problems that IT has yet to solve. HOWEVER, the school REALLY cares about student mental health. One of the ways they contribute to student mental health is.....all of our exams are NBME. You can study board materials if you hate the lectures (I am not a huge fan of the school-made lectures, but some like them). The schedule is open and as long as you put in a few hours per day you can pass your classes. It's hard, and a lot, but with NBME it simplifies your life and sets you up for success on Step 1. Dr. Knight and the rest of academic administration are AWESOME. They are so freaking helpful and care about the students so much, it's crazy.

Although this is no fault of EVMS, there is a lot less research and home residency programs than most MD schools. We do not have home anesthesia, ortho or neurosurgery programs. This is not an issue in and of itself if you aren't gunning for these specialties, but if you are, you may have to work extra hard to get on a project in the less obvious specialties. Students don't seem to have an issue getting research---they do sometimes have issues getting research in the field they want to pursue.

My overall impression of EVMS is that if you want to live in a cool area and you aren't gunning for the best residency in the country, you can come here and be pretty damn happy. I can definitely say that medical school has been the chillest time of life--no worrying about medical school applications, less anxiety about my career progression, able to play frisbee 3 times a week, play volleyball on the beach, go to the gym, cook, and STUDY ANKI ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

If you have specific questions on if I would recommend EVMS for you specifically feel free to ask or PM me. For those who have gotten in already--welcome to the path to physicianhood. For those still waiting--I got in off the waitlist in late may as I was about to resubmit my AMCAS app. This is likely the most stressful year of your life--we've all been there and I don't envy you.

Thanks for all the info! Is there a particular neighborhood where students live?

I interviewed here within the last week. I absolutely loved the school and the interview was friendly and conversational. However, we were told that essentially all the acceptances have been given out, so we were essentially interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here within the last week. I absolutely loved the school and the interview was friendly and conversational. However, we were told that essentially all the acceptances have been given out, so we were essentially interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Thanks for sharing this info! It's cool that they were candid about this.

Knowing this makes me re-evaluate my upcoming interview. Seems like an amazing school, but not sure how much an auto-WL will do for me at this point.

Thanks for all the info! Is there a particular neighborhood where students live?

Many live in the student housing, hague apartments--just beware--the housing is not great and the landlords have been known from what I hear to be very slow about fixing things, but it is incredibly convenient. Most live in the ghent area. You can find a good apartment with roomates for $600/month.

I'm an M3 and I've lived at the campus housing all 3 years and plan to stay here for M4 year as well. The apartments are very spacious and the rent is comparable to other places in the immediate vicinity of campus. There have been 3 landlords since I first moved in and I actually really like our current landlady--I've personally never had an issue with slow maintenance requests and I've had things fixed within 1-2 business days. I think the biggest downside is that the walls are pretty thin and the floorboards can be creaky but there are reasonable quiet hours and the landlady is very proactive about handling noise complaints if you reach out to her with your concerns. The laundry is also in a separate part of the housing complex so you will have to walk outdoors to get to the laundry room which can be a pain if the weather's not so favorable.

When it comes to campus housing, it just boils down to your priorities--for me, I wanted to be close to campus for both convenience and safety (and not having to drive as much) and didn't care so much about how homey/"pretty" the apartment looked (the apartments are clean and spacious but definitely have a student housing feel to them). I also liked being able to walk across the street to campus during M1 and M2 year as well as saving commute time and getting that extra sleep during M3 year when I was rotating at CHKD, SNGH, or Ghent Family Med (trust me, when you have to show up to work at 5:30a 6 days/week, you're gonna want all the sleep you can get).

ALSO! I should mention that EVMS housing is only for EVMS students and their spouses and no pets of any kind are allowed so keep that in mind too!

I'm an M3 and I've lived at the campus housing all 3 years and plan to stay here for M4 year as well. The apartments are very spacious and the rent is comparable to other places in the immediate vicinity of campus. There have been 3 landlords since I first moved in and I actually really like our current landlady--I've personally never had an issue with slow maintenance requests and I've had things fixed within 1-2 business days. I think the biggest downside is that the walls are pretty thin and the floorboards can be creaky but there are reasonable quiet hours and the landlady is very proactive about handling noise complaints if you reach out to her with your concerns. The laundry is also in a separate part of the housing complex so you will have to walk outdoors to get to the laundry room which can be a pain if the weather's not so favorable.

When it comes to campus housing, it just boils down to your priorities--for me, I wanted to be close to campus for both convenience and safety (and not having to drive as much) and didn't care so much about how homey/"pretty" the apartment looked (the apartments are clean and spacious but definitely have a student housing feel to them). I also liked being able to walk across the street to campus during M1 and M2 year as well as saving commute time and getting that extra sleep during M3 year when I was rotating at CHKD, SNGH, or Ghent Family Med (trust me, when you have to show up to work at 5:30a 6 days/week, you're gonna want all the sleep you can get).

ALSO! I should mention that EVMS housing is only for EVMS students and their spouses and no pets of any kind are allowed so keep that in mind too!

thank you :clap:

II just now! OOS, no ties, complete 7/18. I honestly did not see this one coming

Reactions: 9 users
For anyone wondering if II are still being sent: I just spoke with admissions and was informed that they are still sending them and have at least one more batch to send.

II yesterday morning. IS, complete on August. Well that was a surprise

I have an interview coming up here and I was wondering what advice people had who have already gone through it? I'm nervous about the panel. Feel free to PM me too! Thank you so much in advance!

I have an interview coming up here and I was wondering what advice people had who have already gone through it? I'm nervous about the panel. Feel free to PM me too! Thank you so much in advance!
The one advice I will give - make sure you maintain eye contact with all the three people , not just the person who asked the question .

Reactions: 3 users

Usually 2-3 people - My interview personally was with two interviewers -- a community physician and an M2. They asked 5 standard questions (1 was ethical) *HINT: ALWAYS consider the best interest of the patient*. The rest of the interview was general conversation. The interview lasts approx. 30-45 minutes. The interview prior to mine lasted > 55 minutes, mines may have lasted approx. 30-35 mins (many accepted EVMS students experienced the same so don't feel bad/get anxious if yours doesn't last as long!). One interviewer had my AMCAS applications and asked me about an experience that was not one of my MMEs so I had to explain this activity in depth (KNOW your AMCAS application!). They smile and converse with you and really just want to get to know the person behind the paper -- don't stress, just be ready to sell yourself and show and show your interest in being a part of the EVMS community and you'll be fine ;).

Overall, this school is awesome. Stellar STEP 1 scores, community feel, and all the students look happy and stress-free!

Best of luck on your interview, you got this!

OH! And make sure you have questions to ask your interviewers about the school, Norfolk community, etc. anything!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people they place in each 1/3 of the waitlist group?

Ahhh, I see that I'm probably interviewing for a waitlist spot. I may be withdrawing my offer later this week after I get updates from my IS schools

Wait, why do you say that?
I read up earlier in the thread, posts from early January. A user mentioned that admissions told them that at this point in the cycle they are pretty much offering interviews for placement on the waitlist.
Probably preparing for students declining their acceptance offers and choosing other schools. So they can have their seats filled.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does EVMS accept pre-II updates?

I read up earlier in the thread, posts from early January. A user mentioned that admissions told them that at this point in the cycle they are pretty much offering interviews for placement on the waitlist.
Probably preparing for students declining their acceptance offers and choosing other schools. So they can have their seats filled.
I was the one who mentioned this, but I didn't want this to discourage others from interviewing. If you are interested in this school, I would still absolutely go since plenty of their class comes from the WL.

Yikes. Northam should resign. And Eastern Virginia Medical School needs to take a deep look within.

So does anyone think that this might hurt EVMS?
That Eastern Virginia Medical School tolerated such blatant racism in the 1980s reflects poorly on them. I suspect it will hurt the school’s reputation, and it should. However, I do not think it will severely injure the school in the long term.

Yes, this is very bad. I imagine a lot will depend on how the school chooses to respond. Obviously, what matters most is the here and now--that is, how/to what degree have these past events influenced the current climate at EVMS? Certainly something that would give me pause.

Although, I must say I'm HAPPY that a school that used to blatantly foster racism rejected me... must be doing something right in my life

Note: Def not a shot at applicants and current medical students.

How these two statements are logically compatible?