Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lawper, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Radio silence since Sept. silent R?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Literally any laptop except probably one from a dumpster or the ocean

Boros likes this.
  3. I applied in August, silence until January. Let it ride.

4. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DoctorYoda

I have an interview coming up and I will be flying out there. My interview is scheduled at 2pm on a Friday and I am trying to catch a 6:15pm flight. Do you think this is enough time to make my flight accounting for traffic? I will be checking a bag in too.
    Also, what transportation have people used to get from the campus to the airport? Thanks for the help!

6. Show time is 2 pm for the tour and interview and stuff? No, you can’t make a 6:15 flight in that case. Interview itself is at 2 pm and then you can peace ? Yes you probably can. Most people walk to the airport, it’s about 15 miles. Alternatively you could run. There might be this thing called Uber. Maybe that’s an option, too.

7. Lurkyturkey128

Accepted off upper 1/3 waitlist. OOS

8. GetThatAcetoned

Pre-Medical
    I believe that's the first interview block for interview days so depending on how long it takes to get to the airport you should be fine. The tour and everything occurs before the interviews so once you're done with the interview you're free to leave I'm pretty sure. I was the very last interview block though so you may want to double check with the school.

CandH23 likes this.
  9. pm_me_fortnite_highlights

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! Send in any updates/LOI’s post interview?

10. mmaslyanko

mmaslyanko 1° 34 MD | 2° 30 MD | II 6| A - |WL 2| H 2| R 10

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations!!! This is so exciting !!! ( I am IS upper 1/3- so there is hope I guess :)))))

11. navdog9

did you get a call?

Zombiegirl and mmaslyanko like this.
  12. DoctorYoda

Ok thanks! Yeah that’s what she told me.

As for airport transportation she said it only takes 20 minutes but with traffic it can be 1-1.5 hours. So in that case I wouldn’t want to take a 1.5 hour Uber... is there another bus or shuttle that goes to the airport?

13. rukia013

rukia013 Jeremiah 29:11-13
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Interviews are typically 45 min so you will probably be fine! You'll end your interview around 3p and even with traffic, you'll probably get to the airport no later than 4pm-ish and that's plenty of time to check your bag and get to your gate--ORF is a tiny airport and 99% of the time the TSA security check is <10min. When I interviewed, I had a rental car but Uber/Lyft are good options (I use Uber to go between EVMS and ORF) :) Best of luck!

(Also, unfortunately there is no shuttle service between EVMS and the airport; Norfolk is a small place and even our public transportation is not very effective)

14. pmoney96

Pre-Medical
    Any in-state waitlist movement ?

mmaslyanko and sendtheMDmyway like this.
  15. Zombiegirl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can we get an estimate of when you interviewed? And yes can you say if it was a telephone call and whether you sent updates? I'm shocked someone got off the WL this early, congrats!! :)

mmaslyanko likes this.
  16. ama303

ama303 Truth Seeker
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I also got off the waitlist a couple of days ago so it happens but I was told by others that it is rare so I was not getting my hopes up before it did happen. I feel super duper lucky.

Interviewed Dec. 7; Waitlisted OOS upper 1/3 Dec. 19; Update and extra LOR sent Jan. 2; Accepted Jan. 9 but called January 9 hours before I was accepted and I don't think they had uploaded my update yet... So not sure if that exactly was the difference.

Acceptance through email.

GetThatAcetoned likes this.
  17. Zombiegirl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow that's awesome!! Did you just email them the LOR? Or did you send it from Interfolio somehow? I have a new one I want to send too. Thanks!

18. ama303

ama303 Truth Seeker
    2+ Year Member

I had my PI upload it onto AMCAS and then I made it available to EVMS by going into AMCAS. I think most schools would find that easiest although having the recommender themselves email it directly probably works as well.

Good luck!

19. Zombiegirl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh interesting, didn't think of that! Thanks!

20. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How do you check your app status here ?

mmaslyanko likes this.
  21. LikeAirIRise

I'm assuming EVMS is done sending out IIs.. no response since September

22. pmoney96

Pre-Medical
    You have to email / call the admissions office for pretty much everything after submitting the secondary application.

Nora Taylor likes this.
  23. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is that okay to do? I don’t want to annoy them haha!

24. nhpboy

I personally wouldn't because unless you have gotten an interview, calling in won't change much haha. You either got an interview or you are in limbo...calling over the phone won't change their minds.

#824 nhpboy, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    Nora Taylor likes this.
  25. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you!

26. catnip12

II today, complete in July. Unlikely to attend

27. MJ925

Interview invite today- they are currently scheduling for early/mid Feb. Will be withdrawing my application but good luck to everyone!

28. goodthingshappen

Crossing my fingers I'll get an II!!!

MJ925 likes this.
  29. keelhaul

Pre-Medical
    Does EVMS accept updates, like on volunteering activities? If so how do we send them in? (I'm on the waitlist)

mmaslyanko likes this.
  30. pm_me_fortnite_highlights

Pre-Medical
    Yes, by email

Nora Taylor and keelhaul like this.
  31. NicMouse64

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All,
    I am a M1 here at EVMS. I am not a regular poster of this thread. I'd like to give everyone an accurate look of what life at EVMS is like.

To start off, there seems to be a divide on who enjoys the Norfolk area. Those from the west coast seem to not like it here much, but those from the midwest and east coast seem to really like it. I am from the midwest, so I really enjoy Norfolk. It is a city with a trauma 1 hospital, with affordable housing nearby, and if staying in the area it is very easy to get to and from school with minimal traffic. There are the activities of the big city, good restaurants, and a beach which is only 20 minutes away. But as the Californians here say....it's not Cali....

Anyways I digress. The school administration is very good in pretty much every area EXCEPT ONE. The technology department lags about 10 years behind my undergraduate. Connecting to wifi is a pain, and calendar and scheduling are still problems that IT has yet to solve. HOWEVER, the school REALLY cares about student mental health. One of the ways they contribute to student mental health is.....all of our exams are NBME. You can study board materials if you hate the lectures (I am not a huge fan of the school-made lectures, but some like them). The schedule is open and as long as you put in a few hours per day you can pass your classes. It's hard, and a lot, but with NBME it simplifies your life and sets you up for success on Step 1. Dr. Knight and the rest of academic administration are AWESOME. They are so freaking helpful and care about the students so much, it's crazy.

Although this is no fault of EVMS, there is a lot less research and home residency programs than most MD schools. We do not have home anesthesia, ortho or neurosurgery programs. This is not an issue in and of itself if you aren't gunning for these specialties, but if you are, you may have to work extra hard to get on a project in the less obvious specialties. Students don't seem to have an issue getting research---they do sometimes have issues getting research in the field they want to pursue.

My overall impression of EVMS is that if you want to live in a cool area and you aren't gunning for the best residency in the country, you can come here and be pretty damn happy. I can definitely say that medical school has been the chillest time of life--no worrying about medical school applications, less anxiety about my career progression, able to play frisbee 3 times a week, play volleyball on the beach, go to the gym, cook, and STUDY ANKI ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

If you have specific questions on if I would recommend EVMS for you specifically feel free to ask or PM me. For those who have gotten in already--welcome to the path to physicianhood. For those still waiting--I got in off the waitlist in late may as I was about to resubmit my AMCAS app. This is likely the most stressful year of your life--we've all been there and I don't envy you.

#831 NicMouse64, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Boros, CandH23, mmaslyanko and 5 others like this.
  32. MedHead99

II today! Complete 10/15. 1 January date open and 5 February dates with open seats!!

Boros, Nora Taylor, CandH23 and 2 others like this.
  33. kamakeemo

Withdrew my offer today. Good luck to all of you! :)

brick123zw and LeGOATJames23 like this.
  34. mmaslyanko

mmaslyanko 1° 34 MD | 2° 30 MD | II 6| A - |WL 2| H 2| R 10

Pre-Medical
    Are you in state ?