2018-2019 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about the secondary.. When I tried to submit it, it gave me an error message of something like "Work experience start date format must be MM/DD/YYYY" but I didn't have anything to put in this section since every experience I have I listed on AACOMAS. I ended up juts putting in today's date in that slot and left everything else blank in that category. Was this just a bug on my app? Were we required to put something in this section even though it explicitly states "NOT INCLUDED ON YOUR AACOMAS APPLICATION"? I don't want this to hurt me

Secondary submitted this week! Anyone receive an interview offer yet?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a 2nd year at VCOM-Carolinas. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!

He
I'm currently a 2nd year at VCOM-Carolinas. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!

Hey,

I submitted a secondary a while back but on the secondary I listed that I would be open to going any of the three campuses. Being from North Carolina I am kinda wanting to pursue the South Carolina campus. Is there anything I could do at this point to try and pursue the SC campus after I have submitted the secondary?

What made you choose Carolinas over the other two campuses? How is the community there, and how accessible are stores, things to do, and jobs for significant others?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

He

Hey,

I submitted a secondary a while back but on the secondary I listed that I would be open to going any of the three campuses. Being from North Carolina I am kinda wanting to pursue the South Carolina campus. Is there anything I could do at this point to try and pursue the SC campus after I have submitted the secondary?

I'm afraid I don't remember how that works. I don't remember ever "selecting" a campus... I just remember getting a call from the Carolinas one. Maybe you could call the CC admissions office and make it known to them that you'd like consideration for that specific campus. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

What made you choose Carolinas over the other two campuses? How is the community there, and how accessible are stores, things to do, and jobs for significant others?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm from the region, and I want to stay and practice in the SE US. The community is hit or miss... One second you're driving down a nice looking part of town then you come across an older, run down section of town. I haven't felt unsafe since being in SC (except for the terrible SC drivers). Stores are easily accessible. We have 3 Wal-marts, many grocery stores, a mall, and lots of restaurants. It's an old mill town that's being built back up. I love it here. It's got people, but not too many people. There are 7 or so colleges in the area, so plenty of people to meet. For things to do, people go out downtown, there's always a place to drink and listen to music. There's a few parks around that people go walk through and there are numerous hiking trails that classmates frequent. As for jobs for significant others - I'm not too sure about that.

verified on 7/6 and haven't heard from this school at all.. Anyone else? I heard back from VCOM pending review

Is there a way to specify on the primary that you're planning to take a class? VCOM requires an additional pre-req that I don't have that would have to take.

What were the secondary questions? Are they the same for all three- Virginia, Carolinas and Auburn?

Members don't see this ad :)
What were the secondary questions? Are they the same for all three- Virginia, Carolinas and Auburn?
Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

Yes, all schools use the same because you rank which location you want in the secondary.

Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

Yes, all schools use the same because you rank which location you want in the secondary.

Thank you so much! Was there a word limit? Ohhh okay, I thought because on AACOMAS they're all separately they were separate processes. So in reality, I'm applying to only one school and they choose where to place me instead of applying to three separate ones? Bummer lol thanks though!

Thank you so much! Was there a word limit? Ohhh okay, I thought because on AACOMAS they're all separately they were separate processes. So in reality, I'm applying to only one school and they choose where to place me instead of applying to three separate ones? Bummer lol thanks though!
Sorry, they limit it too 500 words. Yeah, I applied to two campuses on AACOMAS but they just send you one secondary and you rank the three campuses. So if you apply to all three on AACOMAS you are just wasting money lol.

Sorry, they limit it too 500 words. Yeah, I applied to two campuses on AACOMAS but they just send you one secondary and you rank the three campuses. So if you apply to all three on AACOMAS you are just wasting money lol.

Solid. Super glad I wasted the money on that lol. I thought because they were all separate entries on AACOMAS unlike other schools with satellites that we had to apply to them separately.

Solid. Super glad I wasted the money on that lol. I thought because they were all separate entries on AACOMAS unlike other schools with satellites that we had to apply to them separately.
Yeah they should clarify that but I guess AACOMAS would rather triple their money lol.

II yesterday via phone. Scheduled for September 4th.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an interview invite, scheduled for September 13th

Secondary sent 7/27, complete email 7/31.
Received II 8/10 for first week of September.

Stats are around their averages for previous years.

Received an II here! Are there any current students lurking on here that would be receptive to questions about the school?

Reactions: 1 users
I have had my AACOMAS application verified on 06/15 and have not heard from this school about a secondary.
3.55 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA and 506 MCAT. Did anybody else not get a secondary ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II, LM 68, scheduled for 9/27 but there were dates available earlier.

I have had my AACOMAS application verified on 06/15 and have not heard from this school about a secondary.
3.55 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA and 506 MCAT. Did anybody else not get a secondary ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
me! I called, and they said it can take time because they re evaluate all of the grade averages.. but, no news is good news I suppose...

Got an II this morning! They said their next available date was 9/13 but it’d be most convenient to me if it’s was a friday so they scheduled it for the first Friday date on 10/26. Is scheduling it for this later date a big deal or not really?

Last edited:
Got an II this morning! They said their next available date was 9/13 but it’d be most convenient to me if it’s was a friday so they scheduled it for the first Friday date on 10/26. Is scheduling it for this later date a big deal or not really?

I mean, that's over a month of time that people could be getting YOUR seat. I'd interview ASAP. Medical school isn't convenient.

Reactions: 2 users
OMS-1. Ask away

Do you have any concerns about the school so far? I was looking at scores for this campus, VA, and Auburn and was a little bit worried about the differences.

What do you really like about the school? Why did you decide to attend this one? And last, what was your interview day like? Thanks so much for your response, and I hope I'm not asking too many questions!

Primary submitted. Waiting for committee review.

I oscillate between anxiously refreshing the app pages, and then chill.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean, that's over a month of time that people could be getting YOUR seat. I'd interview ASAP. Medical school isn't convenient.
Rescheduled it for a much earlier date. Thank you for your advice!

Interview call today!

Reactions: 4 users
II call yesterday!!

Reactions: 3 users
What are your stat if you don't mind?

Both undergrad and science gpa are 3.75 but my MCAT is only a 501. ECs and clinical hours probably help my case along with being a NC resident

Did anyone else just have their status portal updated with an "interview tab" and received no phone call or email about an interview invitation?

I interviewed in January and got accepted within a week. You should be fine to interview in October. I think seats were filled around March this past cycle (with the exception of a few who forfeited their seats afterwards and bumped up some off the wait list). Earlier is always better, but that becomes even more important after the beginning of the year.

Did anyone else just have their status portal updated with an "interview tab" and received no phone call or email about an interview invitation?

This happened to me, you will likely receive a call/email by the end of the day/next day (since you posted this over the weekend I imagine you have received it by now). You can go ahead and schedule yourself through the portal before they call you if you want to. When they called they asked me to come for an earlier date than I had self-scheduled (which was 2 days after I received my II !!!) that was not listed on the self-scheduling calendar.

So, for those of you who have not received your II yet or are applying late, make sure you are ready to go, especially later in the cycle when interviewing as early as possible is critical.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I will have an interview on Sept 13 as well. Most feedback said VCOM had very easy and laid back interviews; however, I saw some thread last year about people who got rejected. Is there any way to avoid that and prepare for the interview?

Hi All,
I will have an interview on Sept 13 as well. Most feedback said VCOM had very easy and laid back interviews; however, I saw some thread last year about people who got rejected. Is there any way to avoid that and prepare for the interview?
Firstly, having an early interview does a lot of good for you. They’re already very interested in you and just want to be able to see that your personality matches what they’ve read in your app. All of the interviewers are great and very personable. Be able to hold a conversation and really let them see who yout are as a person. I would do your homework and know about our curriculum and about osteopathic medicine in general. Have questions prepared for your interviewers. I loved interview day and our admissions staff puts a lot of hard work into making it be the best experience it can be for you guys. Smile and BE NICE TO EVERYONE. It goes a long way.

Hi All,
I second all of what brywigh said. I had a great time on my interview day, felt very welcomed and at ease. My interviewers were all easy to talk to (one of which talked wayyyy more than I did). Every single one of them asked me two specific questions: Why osteopathic medicine, and why VCOM - surprise surprise.
Pro tip: Don't let stressing about imperfections in your app take away from your experience. If you have an II, they have determined your grades/scores are good enough, but that doesn't mean they won't ask about any discrepancies. This is your time to explain them in a professional (non-accusatory or trash-talking your undergrad) manner.

Firstly, having an early interview does a lot of good for you. They’re already very interested in you and just want to be able to see that your personality matches what they’ve read in your app. All of the interviewers are great and very personable. Be able to hold a conversation and really let them see who yout are as a person. I would do your homework and know about our curriculum and about osteopathic medicine in general. Have questions prepared for your interviewers. I loved interview day and our admissions staff puts a lot of hard work into making it be the best experience it can be for you guys. Smile and BE NICE TO EVERYONE. It goes a long way.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me! I only applied to 1 DO and 1MD school. So, when they ask where else did I apply, should I consider to mention that I also applied to MD? Also, as an OMS 1 what do you like/dislike the most about VCOM (curriculum, extra-activities, et.) if you don't mind sharing with me?

I second all of what brywigh said. I had a great time on my interview day, felt very welcomed and at ease. My interviewers were all easy to talk to (one of which talked wayyyy more than I did). Every single one of them asked me two specific questions: Why osteopathic medicine, and why VCOM - surprise surprise.
Pro tip: Don't let stressing about imperfections in your app take away from your experience. If you have an II, they have determined your grades/scores are good enough, but that doesn't mean they won't ask about any discrepancies. This is your time to explain them in a professional (non-accusatory or trash-talking your undergrad) manner.
Thanks for your tips! I also have 1 question: I only applied to 1 DO and 1MD school. So, when they ask where else did I apply, should I consider to mention that I also applied to MD?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me! I only applied to 1 DO and 1MD school. So, when they ask where else did I apply, should I consider to mention that I also applied to MD? Also, as an OMS 1 what do you like/dislike the most about VCOM (curriculum, extra-activities, et.) if you don't mind sharing with me?
I don't think you should voluntarily say that you applied MD. Of course, if you are asked be honest. I have heard of people being asked whether they applied MD as well. They understand that you are trying to cover your bases but they also do not want to get the impression that you are only applying DO because you think it's easier. You should be prepared to talk about osteopathic medicine generally.

Anyone know about how long it takes for you hear if you're accepted/rejected after the interview?

Also is it correct that if you're accepted before Nov. 15 you have until December 14 to make the deposit to reserve your seat??