2018-2019 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So we hear about acceptances from a phone call and rejections or waitlist by portal?

Members don't see this ad.

So we hear about acceptances from a phone call and rejections or waitlist by portal?

Honestly I wouldn’t read into it. When Monica called me, she seemed super busy (however, despite her seeming busy, she still talked to me for around 20 minutes :) ). I think its possible that she was just getting a head start today.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a dress code here for lectures?

I'm a M1 at FAU so I can answer this as well as any other questions people may have.

Lectures have a pretty simple dress code. No shorts, scrubs, sweatpants, or leggings. Usually people just wear a t-shirt and some jeans.

I'm a M1 at FAU so I can answer this as well as any other questions people may have.

Lectures have a pretty simple dress code. No shorts, scrubs, sweatpants, or leggings. Usually people just wear a t-shirt and some jeans.

Do you know about when they start to consider candidates on the alternate list?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

Do you know approximately how many interview slots are left?

Do you know approximately how many interview slots are left?

I just checked and there are 7 interview dates left in January and 8 in February. I think they invite 10-12 people per interview date so you can do the math.

About the alternative list question. I'm not sure. That would be a question you should ask Monica Lopez.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who were accepted, did you receive confirmation to accepting the offer?

Do they take updates after II? I am currently waitlisted but loved this school.

Do they reject pre interview or wait until the end of cycle?

Anyone else who submitted late August/early September still stuck at “secondary application completed”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II just now! ORM. OOS. Non-trad. LM~68

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed here on Tuesday and it was amazing. Really hoping they liked me as much as I liked them!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I see no, all I have gotten is an acknowledgment of accepting my position on the waitlist.

Do they review everyone or do some people stay on “secondary application completed” until the end of the cycle?

Also, does anyone still have “secondary application completed”?

Do they review everyone or do some people stay on “secondary application completed” until the end of the cycle?

Also, does anyone still have “secondary application completed”?

I still have this status.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed here on Tuesday and it was amazing. Really hoping they liked me as much as I liked them!

Was the interview open file? I am confused as to what to expect. I know there are two interviewers and one is "exploratory" and one is for behavioral questions but I don't want to be caught too off guard haha

Was the interview open file? I am confused as to what to expect. I know there are two interviewers and one is "exploratory" and one is for behavioral questions but I don't want to be caught too off guard haha

The interviews are 100% closed file. They want to avoid un-intentional biases due to schools, associations, etc.

Forgot to factor in the amount of people that get accepted and go somewhere else. So maybe 25-40% depending on that

Please note, this is a super-basic numbers analysis and I have no insider information
I was just bored while drinking my coffee this morning.

This is some math that I have put together based off of conversations with students and faculty. I will also say that I think I leaned my numbers on the pessimistic side when estimating. (feel free to check my numbers, but this is all guess work in reality):

300 interview invites sent, but admissions initially under-accepts their class size of 64 by 10-15% (64 *90%= 58).
Therefore, the phase 1 post ii acceptance rate is 19.3% (58/300= 19.33%).

Assuming that 25% of their phase 1 accepted candidates receive more than 1 acceptance (number is probably way higher), and 50% of those 25% choose the other school, that places the class to be filled by 79.68% or 51 out of 64 slots. (58*25%*50%=7 people who turn down phase 1 acceptances)

That leaves ~13 slots to be pulled from the alternative list. If you assume that 20% of there alternative list (.2*242= 48) choose other programs and voluntarily leave the alternative list, that leaves 194 Candidates for for 13 slots. This means an alternative list acceptance rate of ~ 7%.

This suggests a post ii acceptance rate of ~26.12% (64/(300-48-7)=26.12%).

A couple of notable weaknesses in this analysis.

First, the admissions office noted that the out of state movement is higher than instate off of the alternative list. Which would mess with my 7% of alternative acceptance estimate.

Second, numbers always look terrible. I highly discourage you from comparing yourself to a statistic. Remember that the FAU alternative list is not a ranked list and the admissions committee re-reviews candidates each time a slot opens. Therefore that 7% number is a meaningless statistic that has no real merit in the landscape of this application cycle. (I would argue the same for the 26% statistic).
If you think FAU is the right place for you to learn, emphasize that in your updates. Statistics are great for the media and clinical trials, not so much individual situations.

Please note, this is a super-basic numbers analysis and I have no insider information

This is some math that I have put together based off of conversations with students and faculty. I will also say that I think I leaned my numbers on the pessimistic side when estimating. (feel free to check my numbers, but this is all guess work in reality):

300 interview invites sent, but admissions initially under-accepts their class size of 64 by 10-15% (64 *90%= 58).

Assuming that 25% of their phase 1 accepted candidates receive more than 1 acceptance (number is probably way higher), and 50% of those 25% choose the other school, that places the class to be filled by 79.68% or 51 out of 64 slots. (58*25%*50%=7 people who turn down phase 1 acceptances)

That leaves ~13 slots to be pulled from the alternative list. If you assume that 20% of there alternative list (.2*242= 48) choose other programs and voluntarily leave the alternative list, that leaves 194 Candidates for for 13 slots. This means an alternative list acceptance rate of ~ 7%.

First, the admissions office noted that the out of state movement is higher than instate off of the alternative list. Which would mess with my 7% of alternative acceptance estimate.

Second, numbers always look terrible. I highly discourage you from comparing yourself to a statistic. Remember that the FAU alternative list is not a ranked list and the admissions committee re-reviews candidates each time a slot opens. Therefore that 7% number is a meaningless statistic that has no real merit in the landscape of this application cycle. (I would argue the same for the 26% statistic).
If you think FAU is the right place for you to learn, emphasize that in your updates. Statistics are great for the media and clinical trials, not so much individual situations.

I think 10 seats are reserved for the pipeline programs, so you may have an initial 54 seats. And I would guess that the initial acceptances might have some top tier offers and greater than 50% may leave. With such a small number of seats statistics is going to be tough to rely on.

I think 10 seats are reserved for the pipeline programs, so you may have an initial 54 seats. And I would guess that the initial acceptances might have some top tier offers and greater than 50% may leave. With such a small number of seats statistics is going to be tough to rely on.

I did not realize they had that many seats for pipelines, totally missed that haha.
Yea that would severely adjust my math.

Still stand by the end of my post though (and yours) in that focusing on statistics during med school application will give someone a very limited point of view.

I did not realize they had that many seats for pipelines, totally missed that haha.
Yea that would severely adjust my math.

Still stand by the end of my post though (and yours) in that focusing on statistics during med school application will give someone a very limited point of view.
You, you def had a solid post

Very nice analysis! Man this school def has a very low post-II acceptance rate compared to others

Very nice analysis! Man this school def has a very low post-II acceptance rate compared to others

I think they had stated that since they love their small class size so much they don't want to over-accept past their magic "64"