2018-2019 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m going to be real with you, chances are they reviewed it and decided to not give you an interview at this point. It’s another month of available dates which leaves SOME hope, but unlikely. Happened to me last year!
Dang. I’m been on preliminary review complete for 1.5 months. Does that mean the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

i just checked my status now and it says "review pending" is that what happens before preliminary review completed happens? or is this something else entirely

edit: ok nvm i figured it out wow its been a whole 6 months but im glad something is occuring

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my portal. I'm on preliminary review complete.

My fiance and I just got interviews for 02/11. We're both OOS from GA.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got changed to Final review complete and now...for the waiting game lol.

Does anyone know what the OOS and waitlist projections are like for FIU?

This is a comment explaining the deceptively low percentage of attrition.

"My class, the Class of 2017, started our MS1 year with 122 students, and next month we will graduate 114 students. This doesn’t sound bad; a net attrition of 6% is probably within the normal range of medical schools. Unfortunately, our class actually lost 26 members (and gained 18 members from the class of 2016). A 21% repeat / attrition rate is not even in the same galaxy as other medical schools’ rates."

This is an excerpt from the post by NEU305 in this thread.

2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread
21% is scary. :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These comments from current and former students are scaryyyy

Reactions: 1 users
It would be nice if an ADCOM from FIU could address these issues here. Since these issues seem to be deterring a lot of people from coming here

Yea I would agree, I am an OOS already accepted here. It was my top choice for sure, however, with the recent comments about shady policies at this school, I feel uneasy attending this school. Can someone from admin or school please clarify these scary claims. Thanks.

I'm a student at FIU med, and I'm not here to turn this into a he-said-she-said internet argument with anonymous people. All I can do is assure you a lot of what's being said is simply not true. Nobody is out to get students. Please, DM me if you have questions, and I'll be happy to share my contact information with you so you can talk to myself and other current students. Additionally, if you have questions, I advise you to directly email the admissions committee with your concerns. They have accepted you because they see your potential as a healer who can impact communities, not because they want to torture you.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a student at FIU med, and I'm not here to turn this into a he-said-she-said internet argument with anonymous people. All I can do is assure you a lot of what's being said is simply not true. Nobody is out to get students. Please, DM me if you have questions, and I'll be happy to share my contact information with you so you can talk to myself and other current students. Additionally, if you have questions, I advise you to directly email the admissions committee with your concerns. They have accepted you because they see your potential as a healer who can impact communities, not because they want to torture you.

Unfortunately, all of what has been said is true. But if you aren’t in that 21% that repeats a year or leaves, your experience is probably more positive, other than watching classmates being mistreated.

At any med school, the students in the top half or so rarely deal with administrators. You can listen to what they have to say but their experience won’t give you a sense of what it’s like to get all high C grades, think you’re passing, then realizing that if you fail even one class, it won’t be a remediation you’re sitting for. You’re going to be repeating the entire year over, even though your 75+ C grades were passing. They just weren’t above the 80 that the school actually wants from everyone.

Most schools have a pass cutoff of like 70% and an 80% cutoff is part of the reason that hwcom has so many students repeat. Imagine only repeating a year of med school because of the school you’re at being harsher than most. You would repeat or be expelled knowing that you would have passed at any other med school.

Everyone here is debating whether or not this school makes 1/5th the class repeat, people are freaking out over whether or not to come now, and I'm just here wanting an II lol

In the midst of this controversy...does anyone know what time admissions decisions might be released today?

Reactions: 2 users
In the midst of this controversy...does anyone know what time admissions decisions might be released today?
Haha I'm in the same boat as you. I highly doubt there is a time frame (unless somebody in/associated with the adcom is here?) but my guess is that they typically call for acceptances first since that takes the most amount of time and then they send out WL/rejection etc. emails.

That being said I have gotten a call at 7pm before so who knows :shrug:

We've waited this long, hang in there a little longer! It's going to be a stressful day haha

Haha I'm in the same boat as you. I highly doubt there is a time frame (unless somebody in/associated with the adcom is here?) but my guess is that they typically call for acceptances first since that takes the most amount of time and then they send out WL/rejection etc. emails.

We've waited this long, hang in there a little longer! It's going to be a stressful day haha
My portal says Admissions Committee Review Complete and I am DYING.

Accepted!

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted too...another application cycle here I come!

Everyone here is debating whether or not this school makes 1/5th the class repeat, people are freaking out over whether or not to come now, and I'm just here wanting an II lol

Me. I will gladly die/cry to make that 80% benchmark if i just.. got an II.... (not saying everyone didn’t work their butts off tho. Just way out of the scope of my concern rn sadly)

II by phone call just now

I’m sitting here still on secondary application completed

final review completed yesterday....

My application status finally changed to review pending!!! Complete since mid-October. What comes next??

My application status finally changed to review pending!!! Complete since mid-October. What comes next??

I think preliminary review completed, and then final review completed!

Any idea on the timeline of this? Sorry i know this has already been asked a million times lol
You should receive "preliminary review complete" soon. However, there's no set timeline for when this goes to final review completed. I believe some people have had this status for months. I have been on preliminary review completed for about a month now.

I’ve been in final review since 12/13... this doesn’t seem like a good sign since I have not heard anything