2018-2019 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. Good luck everyone, i am rooting for us

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea on the timeline of this? Sorry i know this has already been asked a million times lol

No clue at all, I’ve been review pending for 10 days now so hopefully I get preliminary review completed soon

No clue at all, I’ve been review pending for 10 days now so hopefully I get preliminary review completed soon
Not sure how it works either. I submitted close to the deadline and my final review was completed about a week after that. I haven't heard anything, maybe I got filtered out because I am OOS. LM74.5

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview on Monday, but I haven't received any information about the interview day other than the start and end time. Is it MMI?

Just got an II! IS LM70. I was complete Sept 6 and was on Application complete until Jan 30 where it became Review Pending. It never switched to preliminary review complete or final review complete (last checked this morning). Only Feb 18 was available for me but I’m excite for this!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II! IS LM70. I was complete Sept 6 and was on Application complete until Jan 30 where it became Review Pending. It never switched to preliminary review complete or final review complete (last checked this morning). Only Feb 18 was available for me but I’m excite for this!
Same here! II today, IS LM 65. Only Feb 18th was available for me as well, but I remember asking earlier how long their interview season lasted and I believe it was around March. So there is still hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Same here! II today, IS LM 65. Only Feb 18th was available for me as well, but I remember asking earlier how long their interview season lasted and I believe it was around March. So there is still hope!

CONGRATS! When were you in final review completed?

II invite today. I was complete late September. Beginning of January I was marked as review pending and then on 1/22 I was on preliminary review completed. I had last checked this morning and that was the same status until noon when I got the II. Hope that helps some people still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like I’m in a similar position to most people getting IIs today..complete September, marked under review January so I’m praying for the II

It seems like I’m in a similar position to most people getting IIs today..complete September, marked under review January so I’m praying for the II

Same! Fingers crossed

CONGRATS! When were you in final review completed?
Thank you! I was preliminary review completed at the end of January and final review completed earlier this week before I received the II call! Hope this helps

Congrats everyone who got the II! Was it via phone, email, or portal?

Also, has anyone received a pre-II rejection yet? Sorry if this has been answered.

Congrats everyone who got the II! Was it via phone, email, or portal?

Also, has anyone received a pre-II rejection yet? Sorry if this has been answered.

I don’t think this school rejects pre-II

Jealous. When did your status first change to review pending?
I was review pending yesterday, and this morning my status was changed to final review complete lol

Reactions: 1 users
I was review pending yesterday, and this morning my status was changed to final review complete lol

Omg wtf. I was review pending since yesterday but it hasn’t changed after that. Good luck!!

Jealous. When did your status first change to review pending?
Is it better to be on final review completed? I am on final review as of yesterday too, but I thought IIs don't really correlate to your status?

Has anyone been on final review completed for a while with no update?

Is it better to be on final review completed? I am on final review as of yesterday too, but I thought IIs don't really correlate to your status?

Has anyone been on final review completed for a while with no update?

I’ve been on final review complete since 12/15

Status just changed to preliminary review completed. I think on the 6th it finally had changed to review pending. Fingers crossed

I have been on final review completed since 1/29. Submitted in October, OOS. No word yet ...

Status just changed to preliminary review completed. I think on the 6th it finally had changed to review pending. Fingers crossed

I went into review pending 2/6, finally some movement since September. Does anyone know what's next? Is it prelim and then final? and then a possible II?

I went into review pending 2/6, finally some movement since September. Does anyone know what's next? Is it prelim and then final? and then a possible II?
I've been in prelim review complete for months lol, but I've seen on this thread and previous years people going from prelim straight to an II, so I guess there is still hope

Please do not go to HWCOM unless you are prepared to spend 4 years hating the admins and knowing you can’t trust them. They act like they’re open to change and student input but they won’t change anything and won’t listen to students.

Don’t buy into their step scores, they’re so high because each year, about 10% of the class is asked to repeat an entire year. And lately they changed the student handbook to make it easier to expel students. Most med schools help you if you fail one course because a lot of students will fail a course in med school. At hwcom, if you fail, they’ll put a mark in your file and be waiting to be able to get rid of you.

Someone else posted to reddit about HWCOM but didn’t say it was HWCOM and then deleted the account. But in case you don’t want to believe me, here’s a screenshot and a link to the full post.

This is the worst MD school in the country.

So let me preface this in saying that I am a current student at HWCOM and am already benefitting from the top notch curriculum. Compared to other schools in Florida and the country I feel the curriculum here is very thorough and will translate directly into high STEP1 scores as our average STEP1 is I think tied for number 7 in the country? Aside from that, FIU accepts a diverse class of people with average MCATs for students accepted around the country and turns them into top scorers, which really shows that the school is what is turning them into rockstars come residency. Other schools that have similar averages accept students with higher MCATs. The school for sure can improve here and there as it is a new school but has made strides and continues to do so.
Make no mistake, FIU is an up and coming school where you certainly reap the benefits of a challenging and thorough curriculum, as you expect when entering medical school. There are people held back from time to time but that is given that they are below 1.7 SD under the average grade for a course AND score below a 75 on the exam. Both conditions have to be fulfilled, however, most of us aren’t entirely familiar with the failing policy because people generally do not have trouble passing at least. Naturally, if everyone in the class is score a 90 on the exam and you score a 60, then you didn’t study enough. No one wants the doctor who doesn’t meet benchmarks treating patients in life or death situations. The school takes a hit if you fail since we are new and will only do fail you given no other choice. The faculty have never shown me disrespect and I have always felt that I could trust them. We uphold professionalism and that is what is expected from students. If you treat them with respect, they treat you the same. That goes with any medical school.
Most exam averages here are within 85-90% and so the above poster must clearly not be doing well and wasting time of sdn complaining instead of improving their grades. If you are not doing poorly while being unprofessional there is no call for the school to have any issue with you. Being a new school, they need their students to be happy and succeed. It takes a lot For the school to intervene like terrible grades and outright rudeness to faculty. When students are performing and polite to faculty I see no situation where they get a reaction they don’t deserve. My classmates are happy, doing well on practice NBME STEP exams, and enjoying Miami to its fullest while learning a lot. Medical school is a challenge and takes time and energy. It takes a lot of growth and seeing where you can improve. Not everyone can make these changes and that is why it is so hard to get accepted in the first place. You need to be able to hold yourself accountable for your shortcomings and do what it takes to make it through. Truth is many qualified applicants get waitlisted each year and it’s unfortunate to see people here that may not be able to handle the rigors of medical school. If anyone needs help there is abundant tutoring and other students ready to help. There is no reason for people to say the resources aren’t here for them to succeed.

I wish you all the best in choosing the best school for yourself. I wish You all luck wherever you ultimately attend medical school! Don’t hang your hat on the opinion of someone who is not doing well and projecting their frustration on the internet. This person says FIU is the worst MD school in the country (remember what MCAT CARS tells you about never picking the extreme answers) and the STEP scores say quite the contrary.
“Only Sith deal in absolutes”
-Obi Wan Kenobi

Reactions: 7 users
Status updated to "Final Review Complete" on 2/6, still no word via email

status just updated to preliminary review complete. was under review since 01/28

I've been on the waitlist since late October, I work full time in a lab and have no updates to submit. Is it abusing the update system in the portal if I eloquently say hey, hello, still interested over here but no academic or professional updates thnx.

I've been on the waitlist since late October, I work full time in a lab and have no updates to submit. Is it abusing the update system in the portal if I eloquently say hey, hello, still interested over here but no academic or professional updates thnx.

I would say it more like “since my application has been completed i have continued to work full time in the lab *insert any new techniques or experiments or data/literally anything just talk about your research* this has further increased my desire to attend FIUCOM, i know the research oriented mission is right for me”... say it nicer, but like that

Reactions: 5 users
I will never understand how med school reviews work @everyone above. Why they don’t complete initial review the same day for everyone who switched to review pending the same day.. why some people get assigned different statuses and some people go straight to an II... *screams

Another week in February coming to an end.. yup, it’s looking grim now

Reactions: 2 users
I just realized my status changed to "Final Review Completed, but I don't know exactly when that changed." I was trying to figure out what this means by looking at the previous comments, but still kind of confused. If I haven't heard anything, does this mean that I was rejected? Or am I just waiting to get an email from them?

I just realized my status changed to "Final Review Completed, but I don't know exactly when that changed." I was trying to figure out what this means by looking at the previous comments, but still kind of confused. If I haven't heard anything, does this mean that I was rejected? Or am I just waiting to get an email from them?

It could literally mean anything. Some people have gone straight from “review pending” to an II, some have been sitting on “final review completed” for weeks/months and then get an II/don’t. Your guess is as good as anyone’s.

But FWIW, can i ask when you were complete and when you were on review pending?

It could literally mean anything. Some people have gone straight from “review pending” to an II, some have been sitting on “final review completed” for weeks/months and then get an II/don’t. Your guess is as good as anyone’s.

But FWIW, can i ask when you were complete and when you were on review pending?

Completed my application 8/9/18, sent an update 12/31, today was when I noticed that it said final review completed but it said last status change was 12/17 so I guess I didn't realize it when I was on there for my update?

Completed my application 8/9/18, sent an update 12/31, today was when I noticed that it said final review completed but it said last status change was 12/17 so I guess I didn't realize it when I was on there for my update?

Hmmm yeah i THINK that means that your review was completed 12/17

I was also complete 08/09 and also went into final review complete on 12/17 I think. I haven’t heard a peep since then.

For accepted students, did they ever tell us when we could expect to hear back on the scholarships we're automatically considered for?

For accepted students, did they ever tell us when we could expect to hear back on the scholarships we're automatically considered for?

During the interview, they said mid-March.

I had a question about the app update portion on the FIU portal. They said we can submit 3 times for a total of 8000 characters. Would that mean all three submissions= the total 8000, or one submission is 8000?

Preliminary review complete...anyone know when the last interview is?