2018-2019 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts on a letter of intent? I was waitlisted and don’t want to just sit here.

Members don't see this ad.

Just sent email releasing my accepted spot. Hope it goes to one of y'all who still waiting to here back. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know who we can send letters of intent to?

Reactions: 1 user
23 II's has to be a record
I still don't even know man. I was just as flabbergasted when it was happening too. I was just determined to get in first shot so put everything I had into it. I overdid it with the application cycle but I had FAP and applying to Texas schools is ridiculously affordable.

Jan 1st. Still sitting at secondary completed. Really hoping for some luck these next few critical months

Jan 1st. Still sitting at secondary completed. Really hoping for some luck these next few critical months
I am on "secondary complete" too! But if it helps, a friend of mine was invited to interview without her status changing, so there's hope! :)

Been reviewed since November. Nothing yet :/

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am on "secondary complete" too! But if it helps, a friend of mine was invited to interview without her status changing, so there's hope! :)
Ahhh. Kind of nice to hear :)

Complete date?
To be fair I applied late this year so I shouldn't even be pushy. Received my MCAT score October 9th I think so was complete by the 10th

anyone submitted updates to their portal? did you upload a document or just type into the box?

anyone submitted updates to their portal? did you upload a document or just type into the box?

Yea I submitted my letter of intent and uploaded it as a file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they reject pre interview or wait until the end of cycle?

As someone who applied last year, it took months before I went from secondary application review complete to final review complete, around this time of year. I was not offered an interview last year. Meanwhile, this year I went from app review complete to final review complete to an interview invite in 1 week. I interviewed but am waitlisted. There honestly is no way to tell, do not think of yourself as the exception that will get an interview the last week of interview invites. I was in denial until the first week of March, which was when I was rejected by all the schools I applied to. I say this for those of you still waiting to hear back, start making moves to improve your application and do not give up :)

Reactions: 1 users
Those of you that have interviewed/been accepted here at FIU HWCOM and current students, what is the timeline on the awarding of merit scholarships? I think I remember them saying some would be notified in January on my interview visit but I don't remember any of the details.

How important are thank you letter/emails? i havent sent mine. Interviewed in
december

How important are thank you letter/emails? i havent sent mine. Interviewed in
december
Thank you notes are usually something you send immediately after interviewing (ie. Within a couple days) I don't think they have any impact on your app but are a nice gesture and commonplace in the professional world

Hello All,

For the 2019 cycle my secondary application says "Final Review Complete" and I was wondering how long after are you notified whether or not you will be notified if you've made it to the next step? Is there a certain date where everyone is notified at once or is it just as they review them?

Thanks

Hello All,

For the 2019 cycle my secondary application says "Final Review Complete" and I was wondering how long after are you notified whether or not you will be notified if you've made it to the next step? Is there a certain date where everyone is notified at once or is it just as they review them?

Thanks
Hi! Question! When were you complete?

FYI you can bring a copy of your passport instead of your original on your interview day.

My application status has been at "Preliminary review completed" since September. Should I contact the school to see what the status is on application or if I can expect any updates soon? Or should I just wait it out longer even though it's been over 3 months since my last update?

My application status has been at "Preliminary review completed" since September. Should I contact the school to see what the status is on application or if I can expect any updates soon? Or should I just wait it out longer even though it's been over 3 months since my last update?

Many of us have been waiting longer than that.

So I have a few things that I would like to update the schools I haven’t heard from yet with, like research and volunteering, but I have some very specific personal reasons as to why I want to attend FIU. Would it be ok to add my reasons for wanting to attend the school to my application update?

Also, I have not been invited to an interview here yet

Thinking about sending an update letter. How does one do this? Do i describe my grades/GPA/job in a PDF or is there a way to send a transcript as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Thinking about sending an update letter. How does one do this? Do i describe my grades/GPA/job in a PDF or is there a way to send a transcript as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

This is from the online portal
"FIU HWCOM allows for a total of three updates and/or additional document uploads throughout the admissions cycle.

You may use the space provided below to inform us of any new information regarding your application after you have already submitted the HWCOM Secondary Application. Please note that you may only submit this form 3 times and only 8,000 total characters are permitted. You may make changes to the content of this box, however each time you click, 'Submit' it will count as an update to your application.

Please note that we will not accept updates or additional information in any other manner other than through the HWCOM Secondary Application portal. HWCOM will not accept grade updates or additional transcripts after the AMCAS verification process has been completed. We will also not accept additional letters of recommendation as a valid update and/or document upload."

It also provides an area to upload documents

For those who interviewed with me on November 30, we will be hearing back from them tomorrow right?

Please do not go to HWCOM unless you are prepared to spend 4 years hating the admins and knowing you can’t trust them. They act like they’re open to change and student input but they won’t change anything and won’t listen to students.

Don’t buy into their step scores, they’re so high because each year, about 10% of the class is asked to repeat an entire year. And lately they changed the student handbook to make it easier to expel students. Most med schools help you if you fail one course because a lot of students will fail a course in med school. At hwcom, if you fail, they’ll put a mark in your file and be waiting to be able to get rid of you.

Someone else posted to reddit about HWCOM but didn’t say it was HWCOM and then deleted the account. But in case you don’t want to believe me, here’s a screenshot and a link to the full post.

This is the worst MD school in the country.

Attachments

• D6E17B1D-1C2A-4419-974E-EEBFC9517069.jpeg
    D6E17B1D-1C2A-4419-974E-EEBFC9517069.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 214
Please do not go to HWCOM unless you are prepared to spend 4 years hating the admins and knowing you can’t trust them. They act like they’re open to change and student input but they won’t change anything and won’t listen to students.

Don’t buy into their step scores, they’re so high because each year, about 10% of the class is asked to repeat an entire year. And lately they changed the student handbook to make it easier to expel students. Most med schools help you if you fail one course because a lot of students will fail a course in med school. At hwcom, if you fail, they’ll put a mark in your file and be waiting to be able to get rid of you.

Someone else posted to reddit about HWCOM but didn’t say it was HWCOM and then deleted the account. But in case you don’t want to believe me, here’s a screenshot and a link to the full post.

Can any other current/former students confirm this? Not saying it isn't true, it just sounds crazy

Last edited:

Wow...I dont know how to fill about this..I will have to do more research on FIU

This is horrible.. I would also want to hear from students to get this confirmed

Not a current student but this isn’t the first time I heard of this... in another thread (16-17 FIU app) they basically said the same thing and many students confirmed it.

And with that, I’m out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would like some other current students to comment on this. I love FIU and this is very sad to hear.

Accepted