2018-2019 Florida State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how the hurricane hitting the Tallahassee area might've impacted the AdCom's plans? I interviewed in early October and they gave me a ballpark of when I'd receive a status update but that was before the hurricane had the University closed for a week...just waiting for some kind of answer here :lame:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldnt find it in the portal
I could've sworn there was but I just checked and couldn't find it either. There is a note on the website to direct any correspondence about updates to the admissions office's email account

So I got my update; I was placed on hold (assuming that this is basically a waitlist position). Any current FSU students receive this status and end up matriculating? If so, what updates did you send and when did you end up getting your actual acceptance?
How'd you find out

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from all the state schools, except here and this was one of the first ones I submitted. FSU has a weird system

Doe FSU exclusively use the portal or is their main way of communication via email?

Doe FSU exclusively use the portal or is their main way of communication via email?
They use the portal to let you know when your application is complete and under review, but interviews are given and scheduled by email

Was accepted a couple weeks ago! What do people usually do for housing over the summer/ first year? I was planning on living with another med student but have no way to contact any one yet? :)

Does this school reject people pre interview or do they just send out everything at the end of the cycle?

Was accepted a couple weeks ago! What do people usually do for housing over the summer/ first year? I was planning on living with another med student but have no way to contact any one yet? :)

PM me. I tried sending you a message, but your security settings do not allow anyone to contact you.

Thanks!

Any advice for FSUs interview?? Format? 3 on 1? 2 on 1? 1on1? I interview in 3 weeks

Any advice for FSUs interview?? Format? 3 on 1? 2 on 1? 1on1? I interview in 3 weeks

You'll have two one-on-one interviews with faculty. They're all super nice and are really interested in getting to know you. I found mine to be very relaxed (but stay professional!). You'll also be shown a video about FSU, given a tour, and lunch. There are plenty of opportunities to ask questions, so take this time to really get to know the school; review all the information on their website. You're going to do great!

Reactions: 2 users
You'll have two one-on-one interviews with faculty. They're all super nice and are really interested in getting to know you. I found mine to be very relaxed (but stay professional!). You'll also be shown a video about FSU, given a tour, and lunch. There are plenty of opportunities to ask questions, so take this time to really get to know the school; review all the information on their website. You're going to do great!

Thats a long interview. If you don't mind me asking... what type of questions did they ask?

Thats a long interview. If you don't mind me asking... what type of questions did they ask?
Honestly one of mine was very conversational so I dont remember any specific questions. The other one just asked me to tell him about my life and kind of guided me through with some standard questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Are classes mandatory?
Over the summer of your M1 year, you will spend all of your time at the COM because trying to learn the entire human body in a few months is like trying to sip from a fire hose. After that, most classes are recorded and you can watch them on your own time if you want; however, there are some required small group sessions and CLC (where you practice physical exam techniques on standardized patients). By the middle of second year, practically nobody goes to class. You'll be scared NOT to go to class during your first year because you're a brand new "studious-doctor-to-be" but you'll gradually see your classmates abandon class and still pass all the exams.

I'm being a little sarcastic as everybody has their own learning style, but since I'm a "video guy" I was able to pass everything by watching YouTube videos, Sketchy Micro/Pharm/Path (the BEST resource in the entire world), Pathoma, DIT, and USMLE Rx. I did practice questions in Firecracker and USMLE Rx and did well on my exams. I would only show up for my required stuff and CLC.

Reactions: 6 users
What were your stats around?
Sorry for the late response. My stats aren't particularly impressive; cGPA <3.5, sGPA <3.3, 503 MCAT. I think I am just a very strong mission fit. I am an FSU alum, was on leadership for an organization that contributed to FSUCOM's pediatric outreach program, extensive volunteering with uninsured in the Florida panhandle, and 2 years of full time clinical experience. Be confident about what makes you unique, FSU is the type of program that just might love you for it.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today via email!
Application portal was updated as well!

Reactions: 4 users
For those who got interviewed/accepted, when were you complete by?

Does anyone know the stats after interviewing?
Like how many they accept/waitlist post interview?
or chances of being accepted after interviewing?

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Interview Info Percentages.xlsx
    94 KB · Views: 249
Where does this info comes from?
From what I was told, it is from the US News report (2018). Of course there is some data in the excel sheet that seems unlikely to be true (i.e., St. Louis University) so I would take all the information with a grain of salt.

Do they interview on days other than Monday’s or is that it?