2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if GW is open to in the area requests (specifically if your app is on hold)? I have an interview at Georgetown in a month and just wanted to see if it was worth a shot

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if GW is open to in the area requests (specifically if your app is on hold)? I have an interview at Georgetown in a month and just wanted to see if it was worth a shot
I don't think they are but you can always give it a shot and see if that prompts a re-review!

Reactions: 1 user
for anyone in the area, is the hurricane going to be an issue? i am flying in and concerned i won't be able to fly in on time for an interview friday but i'm not sure what to do
It looks like the hurricane is going to track way south of DC. We havent even heard anything from the administration of even a possible cancellation of our exam that day. If you think it might disrupt your travel, plan accordingly or reschedule, but it shouldn't affect anything in DC

Members don't see this ad :)
completed 9/10 and already got put on hold :(

anyone know the success rate of getting an interview after being put on hold?

@muffin14 Don't worry! Like Karmapaymentplan said nothing should really be happening in DC expect for rain. That being said be careful with travel and if you are worried about anything happen feel free to drop the office of admissions a line. They are really nice!

completed 9/10 and already got put on hold :(

Really!? I was complete on 9/2, and I'm still at "Your file is now complete." It seems they put a lot of people on hold. Don't get discouraged.

Got accepted through the early decision program 3 days ago!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey future med students! I’m a current MS1 at GWU. I’ve been seeing some of you at interviews the past few weeks and I just wanted to say good luck!
GWU is a great school and I love it here.
The best words of advice I can offer you is that this application year is long, so don’t give up hope if you don’t hear back right away.
I applied late August and was accepted some time during the winter. I also know of some people who were accepted pretty close to the start of the semester.
Feel free to ask me questions, it’s likely my responses will be a little delayed because: med school, but I’ll try my best to answer what I can.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey future med students! I’m a current MS1 at GWU. I’ve been seeing some of you at interviews the past few weeks and I just wanted to say good luck!
The best words of advice I can offer you is that this application year is long, so don’t give up hope if you don’t hear back right away.
I applied late August and was accepted some time during the winter. I also know of some people who were accepted pretty close to the start of the semester.
Feel free to ask me questions, it’s likely my responses will be a little delayed because: med school, but I’ll try my best to answer what I can.

Were you initially put on hold or did you receive an II right away?

Were you initially put on hold or did you receive an II right away?
If I remember correctly, my application went under re-review for a while and then magically turned into an II when I wasn’t looking

Reactions: 1 users
So since the school is so expensive, do you know why the average debt on MSAR is about 190k? Are they known to be pretty generous with scholarships or is it that a lot of students are able to pay out of pocket so the average is lower than what most students should expect?

So since the school is so expensive, do you know why the average debt on MSAR is about 190k? Are they known to be pretty generous with scholarships or is it that a lot of students are able to pay out of pocket so the average is lower than what most students should expect?
I got a fair amount of aid

I got a fair amount of aid
Do you know if thats common? As far as stats, Im average or below for them and probably wont qualify for need based (not sure). But idk if they take other parts of the app like disadvantages, ECs, etc into consideration.

On hold :( I think it changed today. Complete 8/22. I was already feeling insecure and this isn't helping lol I know why they do it, it just kind of hurts. It's gonna be a lonnnng cycle.

complete on 8/19, on hold recently. any one knows if we get emails re: interview invites? or should we be checking the portal?

On hold :( I think it changed today. Complete 8/22. I was already feeling insecure and this isn't helping lol I know why they do it, it just kind of hurts. It's gonna be a lonnnng cycle.

Many people on hold receive interviews later on in the cycle! It's only September so you have so much time :)

complete on 8/19, on hold recently. any one knows if we get emails re: interview invites? or should we be checking the portal?

Interview invites are sent via email!

Completed 8/15 and have been on hold since. Went on hold almost immediately. LM 69, traditional applicant

Has anyone who wasn't ED and interviewed heard back yet?

I do not believe so no. The last time I checked about 2-3 days ago, my application was under review.
Ah, I was complete a few days after you and I’m on hold already so I got excited! But that’s awesome congrats!

Ah, I was complete a few days after you and I’m on hold already so I got excited! But that’s awesome congrats!
Thank you! Hopefully that doesn't get you down, many people get on hold at GW and get interviews later on in the cycle. I wouldn't want you to get discouraged.

Anybody interview already know when they said decisions will come out? I know some schools will send them out oct 15th-16th but some may be later.

Anybody interview already know when they said decisions will come out? I know some schools will send them out oct 15th-16th but some may be later.
I believe Oct 15-16 is the earliest acceptances can be sent out? If I'm wrong someone correct me but I believe they told me 6-8 weeks from the first week of September when I interviewed. I know last year if people found out prior to that October date it was to be rejected/placed on the waitlist.

I believe Oct 15-16 is the earliest acceptances can be sent out? If I'm wrong someone correct me but I believe they told me 6-8 weeks from the first week of September when I interviewed. I know last year if people found out prior to that October date it was to be rejected/placed on the waitlist.
Hopefully that means we wont hear until the 15th! Didnt know if the traffic rules meant if post interview rejections could go out too

Hopefully that means we wont hear until the 15th! Didnt know if the traffic rules meant if post interview rejections could go out too

I'm not 100% sure of this but I noticed in last year's thread there were rejections and waitlists seen before people started receiving acceptances I believe around Oct 15/16. As much as I'd like to hear back as well, I'd rather know after that date haha.

No, rejections and waitlists can occur anytime. They just can't send acceptances before 10/15 unless you applied ED

Is anyone having a problem submitting the payment for the secondary application? Been trying to submit for two days. When I called they said it would be resolved by now. Jw if anyone has any other information on this.

Is anyone having a problem submitting the payment for the secondary application? Been trying to submit for two days. When I called they said it would be resolved by now. Jw if anyone has any other information on this.

I had received an email earlier today from admissions that stated, "Our secondary fee payment site is currently closed for unscheduled maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. We will write to you as soon as the payment site is up and running again. Until then, please do not attempt to pay."

Hey! I was put on hold last month, unfortunately. Do you know how many times we can update GW? After visiting the school a few times, GW is one of my top choices. Thanks for your help!

II this morning! Complete 8/26. LM 66-70. ORM.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey! I was put on hold last month, unfortunately. Do you know how many times we can update GW? After visiting the school a few times, GW is one of my top choices. Thanks for your help!
I am in the same boat . Does anyone think that updating might help ?
Also , does anyone know if on hold is a death sentence?