Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. RunIt23

Pre-Medical
    for those who received interview invites recently, what dates were available?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. navdog9

any Rs this week?

3. Pdazzle11

Oops well thanks looks like it took almost exactly 6 weeks for you! Thats not bad I've seen gwu take 10+ weeks on other threads haha.

4. jilk

I received an II in the past few days. My date was in late Feb.

labscience and Amarantaa like this.
  5. ily2017

Pre-Medical
    I had a January interview last year and got in without being waitlisted. You’re good

contigo123 likes this.
  6. RunIt23

Pre-Medical
    What about mid/late February dates?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Sasb

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Interviewing this week :happy:. Very excited!

Amarantaa, MedHead99 and CMo12 like this.
  8. jordij94

Seeing the correlation between providing updates and IIs, is it significant enough to update them with a new part time tutoring job I picked up (in addition to my job as a medical assistant which I provided on AMCAS)? Also would anyone mind giving me feedback on my update?

9. Boola Boy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Does anyone remember if they said that there is a cap for the global health concentration at GW?

When is Second Look?

What do people do for fun in DC?

10. ily2017

Pre-Medical
    I know people in my class who interviewed all the way up until the end of interview season. I feel like if they are still interviewing there are proabably still spots. Also, it is my understanding that there is a decent amount of waitlist movement after April.
    I know this application season seems never ending guys, but it’s way too early to lose hope!

11. ily2017

Pre-Medical
    Second look is April 1

The only scholarly concentration this year with a cap was the reasearch track, and usually everyone who wants to do it is able.

Boola Boy and CMo12 like this.
  12. girlwithwings

How long after sending an update does it generally take for them to re review your application?

apurk likes this.
  13. whorobbedthewoods

Pre-Medical

Hey so not sure where people are getting the impression that there's any correlation between submitting an update and a swifter re-review/chance for II. Tons of us have submitted updates in the past few months and have yet to be re-reviewed or receive II's. Of those who submitted updates, just as many have been rejected as received II's.

I submitted my first update on 24 Oct and still nothing. Others got II's or R's just a week or two after submitting an update. Take what you will from that. My two cents: updates don't mean anything as far as their app review/re-review timeline is concerned.

cafedisco, burb, Bubblepop and 4 others like this.
  14. wahoogirl1121

+1 - I submitted an update on 9/14 and have not been re-reviewed yet

15. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Sitting in the GW library watching applicants come in to the study rooms for their IIs got me like :nailbiting: there are so many of them

RunIt23, burb, MossTree and 1 other person like this.
  16. MossTree

Hahah! Really-- you're there right now?! Are they all dressed up and professional looking? haha

burb likes this.
  17. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, they come in every other day and II in the study rooms on the silent floors lol they're all very professional looking and polite. I think they're interviewing with students rn, because one guy just said how much he loves taking a break from class for this =P

MossTree likes this.
  18. Pdazzle11

are you a current student?

19. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Haha yeah, but I'm not a med student. Just another applicant wishing my next time in those study rooms will be an II :rolleyes:

Amarantaa likes this.
  20. MossTree

You should move to a different section of the library! You're torturing yourself!

21. golgi body

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    So is the consensus that “file under review” after a hold means an II is coming?

ggdoc145 and deltaco124 like this.
  22. burb

Yes! If that's what your portal says, you very likely have an II coming in the next few days :)

golgi body likes this.
  23. aqifjak

Has anyone that interviewed in November heard back yet??

24. juuqtj01

My interview was November 15th and I haven’t heard anything yet

25. Pdazzle11

6 weeks seems to be the average to hear back so I’d assume early November hears back sometime next week. Mid November and late November probably have to wait till after the holidays like previous years :(.

26. aqifjak

:( yeah that's much longer than I thought, I remember the admission's staff saying to expect hearing back in 3-4 weeks.

27. aqifjak

Oh okay, that was my interview date as well!

juuqtj01 likes this.
  28. a-robit

I remember them mentioning on the interview day that they weren't telling people an estimate, since people would wait until the 6-8 weeks or whatever were up, and then call the admissions office asking about a decision, when it wasn't necessarily bad news. They said that if you interviewed before the end of November, you were in the first half of interviewed candidates, so there's no need to stress out.

29. chocolatebear94

I interviewed 11/6, haven't heard anything yet. Soon as I do i'll keep the forum posted. Hope you all hear good news!

juuqtj01, aqifjak and Pdazzle11 like this.
  30. golgi body

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    II today for late Feb

31. Premed Hopes & Dreams

2+ Year Member

I interviewed on 10/30 and haven't heard anything yet. It'll probably be a week or 2 for you to hear back.

chocolatebear94 and aqifjak like this.
  32. texas0623

were you placed on hold initially?

33. golgi body

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Yes, on hold since August

34. texas0623

Hope remains! Congrats to you!

35. Childishdocbino

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, i interviewed 11/2, no word yet either way

36. wesleysnipes

I've sent like 4 significant updates since being put on hold in August and I haven't been re-reviewed yet :/

37. isAdoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I sent one as well (not 4 haha) and haven’t been re-reviewed either :(

38. MomJeansandDadJorts

Would any current M1 students (or M2-4) like to talk about their experience? Since they implemented a new curriculum this year, have there been a lot of noticeable changes or just minor adjusting? Also how often are mandatory PBL/TBL sessions and does having a H/P/F unranked pre clinical make it stressful to try and honor each class? And do find the NBME exams allow you to focus your time on more STEP material?

39. Dr.To-be

Feels like I've been on hold here forever. How many interview spots are realistically left at this point?

burb, apurk, labscience and 1 other person like this.
  40. girlwithwings

+2 sent 2 updates but nothing yet

41. pm_me_fortnite_highlights

Pre-Medical
    Pre-clinical years are pass/fail now

EarthOneFlash likes this.
  42. whorobbedthewoods

Pre-Medical
    Over/under on an R wave tomorrow? The others have been on Fridays & there was one last year on 12/14 :nailbiting:

43. venezuelanpremed

Was I the only one asked for "a description of your professional/academic/extracurricular activities from the time period of January- August 2018" after my interview at GW?

44. Pdazzle11

Wait like you got an email asking for that?

45. venezuelanpremed

Yes. I interviewed two days ago and, right after my interview, I received an email saying that... I guess I am the only one haha.

Amarantaa likes this.
  46. EarthOneFlash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, MS1 here. Curriculum is okay so far, I don't have much to compare it to though so maybe an MS2 can talk about the new vs old curriculum layout. The current curriculum does feel crammed at times but it's what I expected coming into medical school. The school tries to give you dedicated independent study time at least 2-3 times a week. Classes usually run from 8 am- 3pm depending on your learning community. The curriculum is separated into science classes, practice of medicine (POM), public health (PPS) classes. Most of the mandatory classes are POM or PPS classes. There are usually about 2-3 mandatory sessions per week.

Pre-clinical is P/F as of this year. It's pretty chill, but you still have to work hard to pass. As for the NBME, we're about to have our first one this Monday. Based on the practice sessions professors have held, and my own comparison of the curriculum to STEP 1 study material, I think the NBME will be useful practice. It's only at the end of each block (no NBME for foundations though), and it's worth like 10% of our final numerical score for the block so I think it's kind of on the back burner for a lot of students here. I personally use STEP material to study for classes, so you can kind of incorporate STEP studying into your routine as little or as much as you want regardless of the NBME.

If y'all have any other questions you can shoot me a message. Good luck!

47. navdog9

I know this has been touched on before but is the consensus still that moving from a hold to "your file is under review" is indicative of an II? has anyone noticed their status moving to "under review" and receiving an R?

48. MomJeansandDadJorts

For the foundations, do you use a normal in house exam? And when the NBME is only 10% of the course, is the other 90% from quizzes/midterms or is there additional stuff you have to do? And for the 8-3 classes, those are recorded and uploaded after the class is over?

Good luck on monday!

49. EarthOneFlash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, for foundations it's just three normal in house exams. And yes, the other 90% from the other blocks are from mainly tests and small "quizzes" that are really just completion based. Usually the class recordings are posted right after (or within a few hours) after that specific class ends.

And thanks!

MomJeansandDadJorts likes this.
  50. EarthOneFlash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "Under review" does not always lead to an II.