2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
1) No to pre-clinical years. Maybe to clinical years since some rotations are not at the main GWU hospital (you can always car-pool with other students).

2) Student housing is not offered but there is an abundance of options in the area and northern VA/Maryland.

3) Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

4) It is indeed pass/fail.

5) Georgetown area, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle.

You can definitely manage living in DC w/o a car and you will absolutely have the opportunity to meet other young professionals.

Second look is one day in April-ish. You sit and listen to presentations for most of the day then have a reception in the early evening with professors, deans, etc. I think you can be housed with a student if I remember correctly.
Thank you so much for answering my questions! Is attendance required for lecture? Are lectures recorded and posted online? Is there a gym on campus where I can do squats and deadlifts? Not trolling.

Reactions: 1 user
To everyone accepted/waitlisted, what time do decisions usually come out?

Congrats to all who were accepted and to those waitlisted, the game is not over yet!

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone accepted/waitlisted, what time do decisions usually come out?

Congrats to all who were accepted and to those waitlisted, the game is not over yet!

^Also wondering this! Interviewed the second week of December and no news :sick:

Are they all done sending out IIs?

Thank you so much for answering my questions! Is attendance required for lecture? Are lectures recorded and posted online? Is there a gym on campus where I can do squats and deadlifts? Not trolling.

So science lectures are almost never mandatory and are always recorded so you can watch them later. Practice of medicine (POM) and patients, populations, and systems (PPS) classes are usually mandatory and those aren't recorded. Those are the how to be a good doctor/skill classes.

Yeah, there's a university gym where you can squat and deadlift. It's not the best gym I've been to, but it gets the job done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! When did you receive the email and did you submit any updates? Thanks.

Has anyone else from that week heard back yet?

I received the email Monday afternoon. And no I did not submit any updates.

So science lectures are almost never mandatory and are always recorded so you can watch them later. Practice of medicine (POM) and patients, populations, and systems (PPS) classes are usually mandatory and those aren't recorded. Those are the how to be a good doctor/skill classes.

Yeah, there's a university gym where you can squat and deadlift. It's not the best gym I've been to, but it gets the job done.
Are the POM and PPS lectures a couple times per week or less frequent?

I've personally never seen such a thing, but I'm sure it could technically happen. There would've been some glaring red flags for that to happen.

hey there,

i noticed you're a GW student from last cycle. congrats!

i wanted to ask if you had any insight on the alternate list. do you happen to know what factors go into the admissions committees selection off the alternate list/how i could best position myself for an acceptance?

thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today, 12/11 interview. Thrilled to hear this news. First acceptance of the cycle

Reactions: 12 users
any thoughts on whether adding another letter of recommendation would help my chances of getting off the alternate list? A doctor that I have worked for for the past year went to GW for med school and i'm wondering if that would be helpful. Thanks!

any thoughts on whether adding another letter of recommendation would help my chances of getting off the alternate list? A doctor that I have worked for for the past year went to GW for med school and i'm wondering if that would be helpful. Thanks!
I feel like this could only help you/be neutral at worst but honestly idk how additional LOR’s are evaluated in this context

I think the adcom would appreciate it and it could never hurt! I did the same recently so hoping it helps as well.​

I think the adcom would appreciate it and it could never hurt! I did the same recently so hoping it helps as well.​
Same. I added a LOR from one of my volunteer activities which I think can only help. I know someone who goes here and he said he kept sending updates and letting them know hes really interested.

Same. I added a LOR from one of my volunteer activities which I think can only help. I know someone who goes here and he said he kept sending updates and letting them know hes really interested.

Ok thank you that's helpful! I sent a LOI and want to send more updates but I haven't really changed what I've been doing since my last update / I'm not sure what else to say about how interested I am in the school without repeating what I said in the LOI. Did he say how he did that or does it just tend to be repetitive no matter what? Thanks again!

probably not

hey there,

i noticed you're a GW student from last cycle. congrats!

i wanted to ask if you had any insight on the alternate list. do you happen to know what factors go into the admissions committees selection off the alternate list/how i could best position myself for an acceptance?

thanks!

To be honest, I don't know much about the factors that determine who gets off the alternate list. The basics are that an applicant who matches a similar profile (stats, ethnicity, etc.) are probably selected from the alternate list. Other than that, I don't know much else sorry.

interviewing in a couple days, anyone got any tips? also do they have any food in the morning? thanks!

interviewing in a couple days, anyone got any tips? also do they have any food in the morning? thanks!
I think we'll be interviewing on the same day!

Anyone still waiting on a decision from the week of 12/10?

Anyone still waiting on a decision from the week of 12/10?
What date did you interview? I was wondering the same thing. Some people who interviewed on 12/14 (Friday) already received a decision.

Just had mine today. Interview is very relaxed, conversational. No breakfast but good sandwich lunch.

No food in the morning, but lunch is provided around 11 am- 12 pm. You should definitely eat breakfast (tip 1).

It seems like no one heard anything this week? I interviewed on Dec. 18th and was hoping to hear something this week. Did anyone get any news this week?

It seems like no one heard anything this week? I interviewed on Dec. 18th and was hoping to hear something this week. Did anyone get any news this week?

I interviewed on 12/20 and also waiting. I'm sure our decisions are coming in soon!

Put in the alternate pool this morning! Interviewed on 12/20.
Not too bummed, though... GW didn't feel like a great fit for me. Good luck to everyone else!!

Put in the alternate pool this morning! Interviewed on 12/20.
Not too bummed, though... GW didn't feel like a great fit for me. Good luck to everyone else!!
I interviewed the week before you and I haven’t received any news yet. I’m afraid it will turn into a rejection :(

I interviewed the week before you and I haven’t received any n
As I have noticed, they don't really do responses in aspecific order. So, I don't think you should be particularly worried about that.

I'm still on hold here..I know their interview season is over soon, does anyone know if it's worth sending an update (that is, unless I get the R on this Friday..)? This is definitely still my top choice school so I'm hanging on to a sliver of a thread of hope lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Also, congrats to all of those who have been accepted and those of you who got an interview- even if you don't make it in, that is still an accomplishment!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm still on hold here..I know their interview season is over soon, does anyone know if it's worth sending an update (that is, unless I get the R on this Friday..)? This is definitely still my top choice school so I'm hanging on to a sliver of a thread of hope lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Also, congrats to all of those who have been accepted and those of you who got an interview- even if you don't make it in, that is still an accomplishment!
I'd say it's always worth sending a meaningful update if you can, especially if this is your top choice. No one here knows what they will or won't take into consideration, or when you will be re-reviewed or rejected. If you've made it this far without getting an R, that is likely a good sign. Send it in as soon as possible and hope for the best! Good luck!

Edit: I would also use the update as an opportunity to express specific interest in their program with a sentence or two about why these updates make you even more of a fit for GW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

They interview into March and are probably one of the most receptive schools on updates so I would say go for it!

Reactions: 2 users

Same! GW is still my dream. It's mean they've strung me along since August, but I'm powerless to object. Sent an update and then a love letter back in the fall. Really have nothing else to add. THAT SAID bout to finesse another one rn :cool:

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected pre-interview :/ this school was definitely my dream school. Congrats and good luck to everyone who will be accepted here!

Does anyone think sending an LOI and then an update a couple weeks later is too pushy?

Does anyone know if they do silent rejections post-interview?