2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited::soexcited:So so grateful!! (interviewed 1/15)
ACCEPTED TOO!! And it's my first . Interviewed 1/10

I know it's kinda a mundane question, but how did yall feel after your interviews? I just interviewed on 2/19 and felt great about it. But, this is my top choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's kinda a mundane question, but how did yall feel after your interviews? I just interviewed on 2/19 and felt great about it. But, this is my top choice.

i thought mine went terrible lol and I’ve talked to a lot of people who have interviewed at GW and they all have the same reaction. It seems like most of the faculty interviewers are really tough so it’s hard for people to get a sense of how their interview actually went haha but if you thought your interview went well then I think that’s a really good sign!! Good luck

My faculty interviewer told me that he was going to write great things about me, that I was going to make a great doctor one day... and then I was waitlisted. Still hoping that I am up there on the waitlist as I would very much love to attend the school and felt that its a great fit but very disappointed after what felt like a very positive interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! I interviewed 1/8. My faculty interview was definitely more formal and difficult than my student interview, although in the grand scheme I felt pretty good after both.

I was told this at 3 of my 4 interviews. Since its harder to forecast the yield schools will have and picking who will be the most likely to matriculate. To me it seems like schools may be focusing more on grabbing those who have no acceptances so their yield for that student will be 100% and drive up their yield overall. Just a speculation tho
Thanks for the response! I'm not sure if that makes me more or less optimistic about having been WL'd though lol.

My faculty interviewer told me that he was going to write great things about me, that I was going to make a great doctor one day... and then I was waitlisted. Still hoping that I am up there on the waitlist as I would very much love to attend the school and felt that its a great fit but very disappointed after what felt like a very positive interview.

Lol the doctor who interviewed me told me something similar, wonder if we had the same guy. I haven't heard back yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Alternate list just now. Interviewed mid January. This is my 6th post-II waitlist. Really thought I fit in well with GW too...

So I'm interviewing soon and I was on the interview feedback form on SDN and it seems like the questions that people listed as them asking were fairly intense vs a casual conversational interview like I have had at most of my interviews. Did you all feel like they were asking about your failures/weaknesses/leadership style/what don't you like about GW (quoting these from the list)?

All of my interviews so far have been open file. Since this is closed file did you all try to let them know about all of your experiences (research, volunteering, etc) or did you more so just try to share a couple things and then they read your file later?

Does anyone know what percentage of students get off the waitlist?

Does anyone know what percentage of students get off the waitlist?
This doesn't answer you question but according to MSAR 1098 interview and 175 matriculate. I would expect their yield to be maybe 40% so maybe they let in 440? I thought most people seemed to get WL after interview not the R. My advisor said that usually about half of the people who are offered WL positions will drop.

To the people who got WL, did the admissions office send any sort of facts sheet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody on the waitlist know when this “late winter webinar” is supposed to be?

Is the number of people accepted the total number or the number they accept initially before going to the WL? Also 335 acceptances for 175 spots is a bigger yield (52%) than I would have excepted. According to this chart, Cornell's yield is 31% and JHop's is 47%.

I assumed total number but cant say for sure. Best bet is to ask OP on that thread for more specifics

So I'm interviewing soon and I was on the interview feedback form on SDN and it seems like the questions that people listed as them asking were fairly intense vs a casual conversational interview like I have had at most of my interviews. Did you all feel like they were asking about your failures/weaknesses/leadership style/what don't you like about GW (quoting these from the list)?

All of my interviews so far have been open file. Since this is closed file did you all try to let them know about all of your experiences (research, volunteering, etc) or did you more so just try to share a couple things and then they read your file later?

Both the student and faculty member asked me those questions, minus the "what don't you like about GW" one--I think they actually asked what I DID like about GW. However, the vibe of the interview is fairly casual. These are good questions to be able to answer for really any type of interview anyways so I would definitely know your answers to those.

As for the closed-file part, I don't know if they ever get to see our file before writing their recommendation (I'd assume not??? someone correct me if I'm wrong). I just tried to tie in my experiences as much as possible into my answers to the questions they asked, e.g. using them as examples to demonstrate how I solved a problem or displayed a certain quality. So it really ends up being your job to talk about your most important experiences as much as possible (while staying on topic) and how they will make you a good fit for GW.

Do any late January interviewees know when we can expect to hear back? I don't recall being given a timeframe

Do any late January interviewees know when we can expect to hear back? I don't recall being given a timeframe

I interviewed very late January and they said to expect 6-8 weeks but that it was a tentative timeline.

any idea when they start to review applications for the waitlist movement that happens starting in May? I think someone said they start to review pretty early. Also how many updates is too many updates? lol I sent one update about a publication before being waitlisted, and after being waitlisted I sent a letter of intent, an extra recommendation, and an update about a new position and a course that I took

Last edited:
any idea when they start to review applications for the waitlist movement that happens starting in May? I think someone said they start to review pretty early. Also how many updates is too many updates? lol I sent one update about a publication before being waitlisted, and after being waitlisted I sent a letter of intent, an extra recommendation, and an update about a new position and a course that I took
Uh I think you shouldn’t send anything else at least for a while. That’s a lot

To be honest, I don't know much about the factors that determine who gets off the alternate list. The basics are that an applicant who matches a similar profile (stats, ethnicity, etc.) are probably selected from the alternate list. Other than that, I don't know much else sorry.

Hi - I noticed that some of the curriculum changed for you year (class of 2022) according to the website. How has it been? Has student feedback been well incorporated?

Got the email about the alternate list today where they wanted us to send in updated information/sign up for the webinar. They asked for a statement of interest... any idea what they're expecting for that, like roughly how long it ought to be?

Got the email about the alternate list today where they wanted us to send in updated information/sign up for the webinar. They asked for a statement of interest... any idea what they're expecting for that, like roughly how long it ought to be?
when did you interview?

Alternate List, interviewed mid January, LM 73, probably going to withdraw!

Accepted!! Interviewed 1/24 Absolutely in shock.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi - I noticed that some of the curriculum changed for you year (class of 2022) according to the website. How has it been? Has student feedback been well incorporated?

The biggest changes were switching to pass/fail and integrating a patients, populations, and systems (PPS) class. Pass/fail is great. PPS has weekly mandatory classes and some classmates aren't too fond of it. It's a great course, but it's still in its first year of implementation. We get surveys and requests for feedback for all our classes almost once a week or every other week basis. I think student feedback has been heard, but idk how anything will differ for the 2023 class as of now.

Last edited:
The biggest changes were switching to pass/fail and integrating a patients, populations, and systems (PPS) class. Pass/fail is great. PPS has weekly mandatory classes and some classmates aren't too fond of it. It's a great course, but it's still in it's first year of implementation. We get surveys and requests for feedback for all our classes almost one a weekly or every other week basis. I think student feedback has been heard, but idk how anything will differ for the 2023 class as of now.
Thank you! I really appreciate your response

Just gave up my seat today (loved GW and the interview experience, but ended up accepting a different offer). Hope it goes to one of you guys! Good luck!!

Reactions: 9 users
The biggest changes were switching to pass/fail and integrating a patients, populations, and systems (PPS) class. Pass/fail is great. PPS has weekly mandatory classes and some classmates aren't too fond of it. It's a great course, but it's still in it's first year of implementation. We get surveys and requests for feedback for all our classes almost one a weekly or every other week basis. I think student feedback has been heard, but idk how anything will differ for the 2023 class as of now.

It isn't true P/F though, right? I'm looking on the GW site and it says "In the fundamentals of medicine phase, students will be awarded a grade of Honors, Pass, Conditional, or Fail."

Or is this information on the website outdated?

It isn't true P/F though, right? I'm looking on the GW site and it says "In the fundamentals of medicine phase, students will be awarded a grade of Honors, Pass, Conditional, or Fail."

They told us on interview day they switched to true pass/fail

anyone else having trouble accessing the webinar?

Outdated. Trust me, I've taken enough tests here as a student to know it's definitely pure pass/fail.

It's a beautiful day in the nation's capital and I'm looking to spread the joy. 1st-year medical student here, so AMA!

Reactions: 2 users
It's a beautiful day in the nation's capital and I'm looking to spread the joy. 1st-year medical student here, so AMA!

Awesome.

1. How busy is your schedule as an M1? Have you had ample time for research/hobbies?
2. Related: How difficult is it to find research relevant to your specialty of interest.
3. How close is your class? Do you all study together/share notes etc.
4. How do most people go about finding housing?
5. Favorite thing about GW so far? Least favorite?

Also

6. Any idea what portion of your class came in off the waitlist/what we can do to increase our odds?

Awesome.

1. How busy is your schedule as an M1? Have you had ample time for research/hobbies?
2. Related: How difficult is it to find research relevant to your specialty of interest.
3. How close is your class? Do you all study together/share notes etc.
4. How do most people go about finding housing?
5. Favorite thing about GW so far? Least favorite?

1) The schedule is very very busy. Since we have a condensed preclinical curriculum, I find that I am staying busy with studying and keeping up with material. With that said, for me, it's not too busy to the point that I can't participate in other things. I am happily enjoying conducting research (benchtop), being involved in clubs, and about to start IM volleyball. Having time to put toward other things really depends on what your personal capabilities are and what expectations you have for yourself and the medical school experience. I know people who just make med school their only focus and others that dedicate just enough time to it so that they do well, then use what's ever left to pursue other things.

2) If you are a med student, people want to do research with you. Depending on what specific field you are interested in, it can be hit or miss with doing research with specific investigators. I was able to establish a relationship with my mentor very quickly. If something you are looking for is very niche, then it may take a bit longer.

3) My class is very social and for the most part, we are close. You'll see that students will break out into their smaller groups, but in general everyone here is very collaborative. We actually have a test tomorrow and everyone is posting their study guides on our FB group. Our social chairs do a great job of scheduling outings. We kind of have a reputation too of being a fun class. Can't guarantee that future classes will be as close, but it seems like admissions knows what its doing when they're building a cohort

4) craiglist is your friend. some find roommates online within the FB group, but ultimately will use mr. Craig to find rentals. Zillow worsk too (that's what I used)

5) Favorite thing is definitely my class and the relationships I have with the administration and faculty. I wake up everyday excited to learn medicine and so far have not experienced overwhelming stress. Least favorite would be the facilities. Its a bit aged and the library can use some updates.

What do you wish you knew before starting at GW? What advice would you have for incoming M1’s?
I wish I knew how to study a bunch of material really quickly. Still figuring this out. My advice to you is to have fun before coming here and make sure to bring an iron. Also figure out how to stay organized. Buy a calendar or a notebook or whatever.

can you talk at all about financial aid at GW? I've heard they don't really give much, but the average indebtedness on MSAR was lower than I expected

can you talk at all about financial aid at GW? I've heard they don't really give much, but the average indebtedness on MSAR was lower than I expected

I actually found that GW was generous with aid. I know many students that received help. Additionally, there are a ton of scholarship opportunities once you matriculate.