2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the webinar today at 2:30 for alt list do any of you know if its recorded? I signed up for it but cant make it due to work meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

For the webinar today at 2:30 for alt list do any of you know if its recorded? I signed up for it but cant make it due to work meeting.

It’s not. At least not that I could find for the last one. I’m not sure why given that they hold them during work hours. I had to ask my mom to watch it for me and take notes, maybe phone a friend?

Does anyone know what the format of the webinar is? I'm signed up for the one today but I have no idea what to expect from it

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not. At least not that I could find for the last one. I’m not sure why given that they hold them during work hours. I had to ask my mom to watch it for me and take notes, maybe phone a friend?

If someone could take notes from today's webinar (or has them from the last one), would you mind sharing those with me?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the format of the webinar is? I'm signed up for the one today but I have no idea what to expect from it
I didn't sign up for this one (listened to the last one), but still got an email "We look forward to having you join us." I was not planning on attending, but now feel like I should. The last one was on a different platform, but it was audio over a powerpoint with prechosen questions and then you could type your own questions if you wished. There was really no new information over the presentation. They wouldn't reveal any information about how many people were on the waitlist, how many people or what percentage have been accepted in the past bc "we don't think this information would be useful to you or your chances." Those were the questions that I wanted to be answered, but the takeaways for me were 1. if you think you will be out of reach, send gw the information of someone who you give permission to make decisions on your behalf (ie accepting the waitlist position) 2. you don't need to be in routine contact "quality over quantity"

I just received my alternate list decision recently
I would call the office and see if they can give you access! "Holli Selman, Assistant Director" sent the email and it's at 2:30 EST today.

For those who asked for notes on the webinar...
  • movement hasn't started yet but they expect it to start mid to late April. The majority of offers are given throughout May, and some are given in June. A few are sometimes given in July.
  • they don't have a "rigid" ranking for their alternate pool and the committee often revisits alternates and rereviews applications. I take this as there is some ranking but that with quality updates you have the opportunity to change your ranking (just my opinion though!)
  • if you're going to be out of reach email medadmit and designate someone who can speak on your behalf. Ideally, this person has information on where you are/ when you can be reached, they'll know if you've been accepted elsewhere and when that program starts, and they can sign the contract accepting an offer on your behalf
  • people in the alternate pool will still have the chance to be considered for need-based and merit aid. It's best to have all financial forms done as soon as possible so if you do get an acceptance financial aid can quickly put your aid package together
  • If you've been accepted into the alternate pool, then the committee didn't believe there were any red flags in your application and they think you'll be a good fit at their school (this was stressed a lot)
  • you can still submit your AMCAS application for next cycle and maintain your position in the alternate pool
  • If you have to reapply next year, don't cut and paste your secondary essays. You can have similar answers, but find new ways to express them
  • they will email the alternate pool when the pool closes and they're no longer offering any acceptances
  • they haven't changed their ways much even with the new policies. They haven't accepted more alternates this year than past years
  • they've never had a year where they didn't offer acceptances to alternates and that won't change this year. There is definitely hope!
  • as guacalot mentioned earlier- when it comes to updates quality is more important than quantity

Unfortunately, my webinar did crash once and I missed a few minutes but hopefully, this information will be helpful for those who missed it!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who asked for notes on the webinar...
  • movement hasn't started yet but they expect it to start mid to late April. The majority of offers are given throughout May, and some are given in June. A few are sometimes given in July.
  • they don't have a "rigid" ranking for their alternate pool and the committee often revisits alternates and rereviews applications. I take this as there is some ranking but that with quality updates you have the opportunity to change your ranking (just my opinion though!)
  • if you're going to be out of reach email medadmit and designate someone who can speak on your behalf. Ideally, this person has information on where you are/ when you can be reached, they'll know if you've been accepted elsewhere and when that program starts, and they can sign the contract accepting an offer on your behalf
  • people in the alternate pool will still have the chance to be considered for need-based and merit aid. It's best to have all financial forms done as soon as possible so if you do get an acceptance financial aid can quickly put your aid package together
  • If you've been accepted into the alternate pool, then the committee didn't believe there were any red flags in your application and they think you'll be a good fit at their school (this was stressed a lot)
  • you can still submit your AMCAS application for next cycle and maintain your position in the alternate pool
  • If you have to reapply next year, don't cut and paste your secondary essays. You can have similar answers, but find new ways to express them
  • they will email the alternate pool when the pool closes and they're no longer offering any acceptances
  • they haven't changed their ways much even with the new policies. They haven't accepted more alternates this year than past years
  • they've never had a year where they didn't offer acceptances to alternates and that won't change this year. There is definitely hope!
  • as guacalot mentioned earlier- when it comes to updates quality is more important than quantity
Unfortunately, my webinar did crash once and I missed a few minutes but hopefully, this information will be helpful for those who missed it!
Just to add to this, and it's not a GW thing specifically but it was new to me:
  • Medical schools cannot offer acceptances to applicants who are 21 days away from matriculating.
  • If you hold an acceptance to a school with a particularly early orientation day, you might be at risk of a school not being able to offer you a seat even if they want to.
  • It's completely up to you, but it could be helpful to inform the school you are an alternate at so that they know this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
One more thing to add about the webinar- Kevin Nies was very explicit that GW has not been waitlisting more applicants due to the new traffic rules. He said that everything is the same as in the past. He said that GW would/has never not offered an acceptance based on other acceptances shown in the report. I see this in two ways- 1. GW always over accepts by a large margin, so the admissions department is not really focused on keeping tabs on individual acceptances. Waitlist movement will start as usual after GW sees how many seats in the class are left to fill. 2. GW may not have waitlisted more individuals, however, many schools have been waitlisting more students. This could lead to more waitlist movement later in the month of May as more accepted students have the potential to get off their waitlists.

Has there been merit awards or other financial aid offered from GW to accepted candidates yet?

did anyone else get the email with the information sessions for next cycle from medadmit today (4/8)? Really hoping that it was just a blanket thing sent to all kids on the alternate list and I dont have to dive too deep into the implications

did anyone else get the email with the information sessions for next cycle from medadmit today (4/8)? Really hoping that it was just a blanket thing sent to all kids on the alternate list and I dont have to dive too deep into the implications
I didn’t get one. What does it say?

I didn’t get one. What does it say?

oh boy....

Hello (My First Name),

We are excited to announce the dates of our upcoming George Washington University School of Medicine information sessions. We will be holding three on-campus sessions and three online webinars. This is a great opportunity to chat, ask questions and talk about the upcoming application cycle with the GW Medical School Admissions Team.

The on-campus events will be May 10th, May 24th and June 7th. Please sign up here (hyperlink) for these events.

The online webinars will be May 15th, May 29th and June 12th. For more details on the online webinars and to sign up here. (hyperlink, also I guess that's a typo?)

(Huge picture with "APPLYING FOR THE UPCOMING CYCLE? GW M.D. Program Information Sessions & Webinars RSVP TODAY!")

We look forward to meeting you then!

Best,

oh boy....

Hello (My First Name),

We are excited to announce the dates of our upcoming George Washington University School of Medicine information sessions. We will be holding three on-campus sessions and three online webinars. This is a great opportunity to chat, ask questions and talk about the upcoming application cycle with the GW Medical School Admissions Team.

The on-campus events will be May 10th, May 24th and June 7th. Please sign up here (hyperlink) for these events.

The online webinars will be May 15th, May 29th and June 12th. For more details on the online webinars and to sign up here. (hyperlink, also I guess that's a typo?)

(Huge picture with "APPLYING FOR THE UPCOMING CYCLE? GW M.D. Program Information Sessions & Webinars RSVP TODAY!")

Best,

Sounds like you’re just on some random listserv, I wouldn’t read into it too much.

oh boy....

Hello (My First Name),

Best,
Yeah idk why they’d send that to waitlisted people lol that’d be kinda messed up

Has there been merit awards or other financial aid offered from GW to accepted candidates yet?
Financial aid is on one of the portals they gave us access to, but they didn't send an email notification about it so you might have to dig around yourself.

any acceptances off waitlist yet?
Just from what I can imagine, I think they would need to finish reviews of all interviewees so that the waitlist would be complete & fairly tiered for all applicants, and spots would need to open for movement to start. I know that the last day of interviews was Friday March, 1st and it seems like they're close to reviewing that week because someone recently posted their decision from a mid feb interview date. Also, the first traffic day is today, so hopefully at least one spot opens up from that. All of this is just what I've been thinking, but I think some movement is about to start!

Just from what I can imagine, I think they would need to finish reviews of all interviewees so that the waitlist would be complete & fairly tiered for all applicants, and spots would need to open for movement to start. I know that the last day of interviews was Friday March, 1st and it seems like they're close to reviewing that week because someone recently posted their decision from a mid feb interview date. Also, the first traffic day is today, so hopefully at least one spot opens up from that. All of this is just what I've been thinking, but I think some movement is about to start!

What does this mean again that today is the first traffic day? I wonder when last year waitlist movement started..

What does this mean again that today is the first traffic day? I wonder when last year waitlist movement started..

On April 15th (first traffic day), kids with more than three acceptances had to only hold three (kids most likely held on to more than three to try to leverage aide/ bask in their own glory ;)). On April 30th (second traffic day), everyone definitely has to only hold, and presumably commit to, one acceptance. Some schools have even said if you don't drop your waitlist spots by April 30th, they'll drop you (so everyone check with their schools!) Other schools are requiring a nonrefundable deposit by then to try to get people to commit to them over potential waitlist acceptances through money.

Due to the lawsuit that messed up the acceptance reporting for this year, the AAMC has really taken a back seat on enforcing the traffic days and is saying that it's up to the schools to enforce this themselves. I looked at GW's guidelines for traffic days, and they just said to reference the AAMC guidelines, so I really don't know what to take from that but I'd love to hear if someone knows if they're being strict with it or not.

I attended the first webinar and Mr. Nies said that some slight movement typically happens mid to late April with the majority of the movement happening through the month of May. Like everyone said, they kept saying that the list is "viable" through late July.

Also, does anyone remember when Mr. Nies said we can expect the call if we get one? I think he said near the close of the business day, but I can't remember completely.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone remember when Mr. Nies said we can expect the call if we get one? I think he said near the close of the business day, but I can't remember completely.

Unsure about that, but they did tell me that they'll leave a voicemail for you if you miss the call! And that as long as you get back to them within a day or so it'll be fine!

Unsure about that, but they did tell me that they'll leave a voicemail for you if you miss the call! And that as long as you get back to them within a day or so it'll be fine!
I believe they also email as well if they don't reach you via phone.

I saw the photos from second look on the gw facebook page. Did anyone here attend second look and want to share their thoughts and impressions with the waitlisted and those who couldnt attend? Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
I called the other day and was told no WL movement has yet started not sure if that's just what they say or maybe they won't have much till later this month but thought I'd mention it.

Reactions: 4 users
I called the other day and was told no WL movement has yet started not sure if that's just what they say or maybe they won't have much till later this month but thought I'd mention it.

Based on past years SDN threads it started right around April 30th so I believe them lol.

HOLY CRAP!! Got an email from Kevin this morning about them likely offering me a position in their class this week. I completely teared up at work; was working on updating my CV for reapplying next year. So excited and can't wait for the official email!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
HOLY CRAP!! Got an email from Kevin this morning about them likely offering me a position in their class this week. I completely teared up at work; was working on updating my CV for reapplying next year. So excited and can't wait for the official email!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Who is Kevin? And did you email them and get a response? Or was that email unsolicited?

Who is Kevin? And did you email them and get a response? Or was that email unsolicited?
Kevin Nies director of admissions, I uploaded a letter of intent about 2-3 week ago not at ALL expecting a response in any sort besides the typical we have received you update email.

Congrats!! Were you accepted off the waitlist, or just after your interview?

Kevin Nies director of admissions, I uploaded a letter of intent about 2-3 week ago not at ALL expecting a response in any sort besides the typical we have received you update email.
That's great! Were you officially on the WL or just waiting to hear back from your interview?

did anyone else on the waitlist get an email from GW about upcoming information sessions for the upcoming application cycle? Just wondering if some got an email from Nies and some got a very different type of email? Hoping it doesn't mean anything!

+1!!! I’m so excited!

did anyone else on the waitlist get an email from GW about upcoming information sessions for the upcoming application cycle? Just wondering if some got an email from Nies and some got a very different type of email? Hoping it doesn't mean anything!

I got both lol so I don’t think it means anything

I got both lol so I don’t think it means anything
Ah, thank you! I was so worried! And congrats on the Nies email!! Can I ask if you sent any/ many updates? And/ or did you have any other type of communication with the admissions committee?

So happy for you!

Congrats!! Were you accepted off the waitlist, or just after your interview?
Waitlist, and not accepted yet just likely to offer a position so who knows at best it works out this week at worst im at the top of the waitlist

Ah, thank you! I was so worried! And congrats on the Nies email!! Can I ask if you sent any/ many updates? And/ or did you have any other type of communication with the admissions committee?

So happy for you!

Thank you! I sent an LOI before receiving my waitlist decision, and then I sent a stronger LOI with the “statement of interest” update we had to submit.