2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was complete 7/29 but still stuck on the status where they have everything they need to review, but I've seen movement for people complete past 7/29. Should I be concerned?

Put on hold today. LM 68.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have the "file under review" status change or was it just from complete to hold?
I went from file is complete and ready for review, to re-review. No "under review" status.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! Complete 07/03, LM~ 70, re-applicant.

Edit: Went from Complete to "File Under Review" 24 hours prior to II.

Reactions: 1 users
GW: "Sit down, be humble."

Placed on hold today - LM 71, complete 07/18

For those of you who received interviews, did your status change to "your file is under review" before the II? And for those on hold did that status change occur prior to being placed on hold for re-review?
Yes, before I got an II, it said “your file is under review”

Looks like all non-IIs are going on hold.....any rejects yet? Or will that happen only after holistic review?

Looks like all non-IIs are going on hold.....any rejects yet? Or will that happen only after holistic review?
Based on last year I don't think they do rejects often if at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks - though that leaves so many of us in limbo! :-(
I know, but definitely stay hopeful! They conduct around 1000 interviews and they re-review quite often so you may hear back sooner than you think!

wow...I just found the answer to both of our's questions

"
Average GPA: approximately 3.70. A cumulative GPA of below a 3.0 is considered non-competitive.

Average MCAT: 510. MCAT scores that include a score of 123 or below are considered non-competitive.

We will continue to take the highest of each subsection across MCAT exams."

I think this means...anything below 123 is bad...

So GWU does superscore? I have a prior MCAT with one 123 score...but am waiting on a new retake score. Will they still consider my previous 123 to come under the non-competitive range even though I have a new score? I'm confused how they evaluate the multiple MCATs

I submitted secondaries on July 29th. The status says:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

Any thoughts?

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

Any thoughts?

It took ~2 weeks for you to be complete? :(

Any thoughts?
Just means you're complete.

placed on hold, complete 7/23, LM 81

For an 81? Got damn!

Yeah, I'm concerned there might be an element of yield protection going on here, which sucks because GW is pretty high up on my list. Or maybe I don't fit their mission well enough. Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For their secondary essays, is it okay to abbreviate GWU throughout? Can we also abbreviate hours/week to hrs/wk?

I am also continuing some volunteering from undergrad. Do I also have to re-explain what these particular service organizations do in my secondary even if I already described them in AMCAS? Fyi, these are not regular, common volunteering places like Habitat or Planned Parenthood. You can't really tell by the name what type of volunteering it is. Since I talked about it in AMCAS, however, I'm hoping I can just list it in my GWU secondaries without further clarification to save space. Thoughts?

Also, for most meaningful community service prompt - are they expecting us to expand on an activity from our primary application, such as a most meaningful essay about a certain community service? Can we write about something we did before starting college, but was not included in our primary?

For their secondary essays, is it okay to abbreviate GWU throughout? Can we also abbreviate hours/week to hrs/wk?

I am also continuing some volunteering from undergrad. Do I also have to re-explain what these particular service organizations do in my secondary even if I already described them in AMCAS? Fyi, these are not regular, common volunteering places like Habitat or Planned Parenthood. You can't really tell by the name what type of volunteering it is. Since I talked about it in AMCAS, however, I'm hoping I can just list it in my GWU secondaries without further clarification to save space. Thoughts?
GWU is fine but I would write out hrs/wk unless it's as part of a bulleted list. You should give a brief explanation for things with unclear titles, as they may read your app in chunks.
Also, for most meaningful community service prompt - are they expecting us to expand on an activity from our primary application, such as a most meaningful essay about a certain community service? Can we write about something we did before starting college, but was not included in our primary?
There is no specification in the prompt on when the community service occurred so that sounds okay to me

Just checked my portal, got the 'ol put on hold for re-review at a later date status; Submitted secondary on 7/30

"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."

I received an II this morning via email. My file went to "under review" status Friday morning, so I would call it one business day.
Complete July 28, LM 76, military background

Reactions: 1 users
I completed my secondary on 7/29 but my status shows that my application has not been reviewed yet. Should I be worried?

I'm interviewing 09/07 (got pushed up) and I'm a re-applicant and GW is my top choice. I was on the waitlist last cycle, any advice for how I should present that during the interview? Is that considered an advantage?

Late to the party. Can someone elaborate what the on hold status really means?

Late to the party. Can someone elaborate what the on hold status really means?
It means they don't like us enough to give us an II. I don't think they do rejections this early but I believe they re-review apps as time goes on and interview more people then

Reactions: 2 users
Rip getting an interview here on hold LM 71~72, submited 8/6

When is the earliest interview date for this cycle? Have interviews already begun?

Anyone know any info regarding re-applicants to gw who were previously waitlisted?

on hold for re-review (idk when cuz I just checked lol)
complete 7/29