2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students know if med students can volunteer with the Rodham Institute, without doing the Community/Urban track?

Members don't see this ad.

Do any current students know if med students can volunteer with the Rodham Institute, without doing the Community/Urban track?

Of course you can! The track will allow you to access mentors that will help you get connected with the institute and any research coming out of it. The track will also help you get funding for the summer as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course you can! The track will allow you to access mentors that will help you get connected with the institute and any research coming out of it. The track will also help you get funding for the summer as well.

Thank you! I'm just torn between focusing on local community vs the global health track. So... if volunteering at the Rodham Institute is an option, then I could possibly be involved in both :D

Members don't see this ad :)
recently joined the hold club though not sure when.

complete 8/7.

so has no one been outright rejected at this point?

recently joined the hold club though not sure when.

complete 8/7.

so has no one been outright rejected at this point?
GW rejects everyone at the end. I got mine April of last cycle after their interviews were done.

Secondary submitted on 7/31. Put on hold (not sure when) and submitted update letter today. Hopefully I can get taken off the hold list.

Lol checked my account after like several weeks and noticed the updated hold status.

Honestly not too surprised. Am going to assume a rejection until I hear otherwise. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Lol checked my account after like several weeks and noticed the updated hold status.

Honestly not too surprised. Am going to assume a rejection until I hear otherwise. Best of luck to everyone!
Username and picture are so on point lmao

Reactions: 7 users
submitted secondary 08/08 was put on hold for re-review about a week later idk when exactly - to me it feels like an R so i'll take it as such lol

if you read last years thread people literally got interviews after getting the re-review message

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted secondary 08/08 was put on hold for re-review about a week later idk when exactly - to me it feels like an R so i'll take it as such lol
It's not a R for this school. Continue to show your interest in the school, provide updates through your portal, etc. They give many people II's that were initially on hold.

Reactions: 1 users
Noone has even looked at my app and i submitted 8/7 :/

if you read last years thread people literally got interviews after getting the re-review message
you're 100% right im just a pessimist. hoping for the best but expecting nothing

Are saying that lots of people who were on re-review got interviews last year?

you're 100% right im just a pessimist. hoping for the best but expecting nothing
I think that is an okay attitude to have in this process honestly - prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when something good happens
Does this school like pre II updates/LOIs?
Idk about LOI's, but I read on a previous thread and on r/premed that updates can help. They say feel free to update your profile, so I assume at the very worst it could be neutral to your app.

Any advice for notifying GW about a late letter of recommendation? I've had a nightmare of a time trying to get in contact with one of my writers. I went for an entire month with no reply despite weekly reminders. I finally sent an email just begging for a reply and just yesterday she simply responded "I will try to get to it. I no longer work for the university." The worst part is that she's already written me a letter for another program.

Any advice for notifying GW about a late letter of recommendation? I've had a nightmare of a time trying to get in contact with one of my writers. I went for an entire month with no reply despite weekly reminders. I finally sent an email just begging for a reply and just yesterday she simply responded "I will try to get to it. I no longer work for the university." The worst part is that she's already written me a letter for another program.
Is this a required letter or supplementary? At this point I'm not sure it really sounds like it's going to be a strong letter

Is this a required letter or supplementary? At this point I'm not sure it really sounds like it's going to be a strong letter

A required letter. I took 3 classes with her and she got to know me well. I've even written in detail how her classes applied to my clinical experiences.

Is it too late to submit my primary to GWU? I just finished my load of secondaries and was on the fence about applying here but I am very interested now.

A required letter. I took 3 classes with her and she got to know me well. I've even written in detail how her classes applied to my clinical experiences.
In that case your app shouldn't be complete without it. If it is marked complete for some reason you could just contact the admissions office and let them know you're still missing a required letter

Is it too late to submit my primary to GWU? I just finished my load of secondaries and was on the fence about applying here but I am very interested now.
Not too late

Is it pertinent to mention being waitlisted last cycle during the interview since it is blind? Interviewing this week and torn about whether or not to bring it up in a positive light or to avoid it?

File under review right now, will reply when it changes, complete 8/7

Any interview advice? Getting nervous for upcoming interview

Does anyone know the maximum set of letters we can submit to GWU? I know a minimum of three is required...

Thanks! And is it required that we submit one from our employer during a gap year? My employer sent me her letter beforehand and well, lets just say it's like 4 lines with nothing really in it other than what I stated on AMCAS. It is not negative, but pretty weak in general.

Thanks! And is it required that we submit one from our employer during a gap year? My employer sent me her letter beforehand and well, lets just say it's like 4 lines with nothing really in it other than what I stated on AMCAS. It is not negative, but pretty weak in general.

I wouldn't include it if it's not a meaningful letter. I believe I found that info on MSAR

For anybody that cares: my interview day was super laid back and there were about 20ish people (which makes sense since they interview a lot and often).But just to echo what people have said before: just because you are interviewing with a student doesnt mean you can relax and be unprofessional and stuff. The schools was really cool and everybody I met was really friendly.

Reactions: 9 users
Is it pertinent to mention being waitlisted last cycle during the interview since it is blind? Interviewing this week and torn about whether or not to bring it up in a positive light or to avoid it?

It's not a bad thing to mention you are re-applying. If anything, it shows that you have been dedicated to improving and coming to GW. I mentioned that I was a re-applicant in my interview and it all worked out.

It's not a bad thing to mention you are re-applying. If anything, it shows that you have been dedicated to improving and coming to GW. I mentioned that I was a re-applicant in my interview and it all worked out.
Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing so hopefully it works out...

for anyone in the area, is the hurricane going to be an issue? i am flying in and concerned i won't be able to fly in on time for an interview friday but i'm not sure what to do

for anyone in the area, is the hurricane going to be an issue? i am flying in and concerned i won't be able to fly in on time for an interview friday but i'm not sure what to do

Call the admissions office and ask