2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it true that Georgetown does not offer merit scholarships?

I don't think so, they spoke of a few when I was there. I'm sure there aren't many though.

Members don't see this ad.

did they send out any post-interview rejections yet? Or is it just acceptances and waitlists
I believe that they have, although the majority of people who interview will get a waitlist or acceptance (~80%).

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current students here that can answer some of my questions? If so please DM me. Thanks

hey guys I'm interviewing here next week and i'm super nervous because I love this school so much. Can anyone who has interviewed tell me how the interview is? Do we interview with 2 faculty members or 1, and how long for? What kind of questions do they ask? Any curveballs or weird experiences? What your general thoughts about the school, things you liked/disliked?

hey guys I'm interviewing here next week and i'm super nervous because I love this school so much. Can anyone who has interviewed tell me how the interview is? Do we interview with 2 faculty members or 1, and how long for? What kind of questions do they ask? Any curveballs or weird experiences? What your general thoughts about the school, things you liked/disliked?

-One interviewer, approximately 45 minutes (mine took longer)
-It's supposed to be open book, but my interviewer didn't seem to have read my file which was fine. It made it laid back and we just chatted about every and anything starting with family, research, interesting things about me lol so basically my application, so just know what you want to bring up.
-No curveball at all, very laid back, know things about the school and their mission.
-Send a thank you note after

Reactions: 1 user
The interview was very pleasant! As a general rundown of the interview day, you talk to students and other interviewees in the applicant lounge until ~8:45 when you go to sit on on the optional lecture. Then there are talks by the Dean, Office of Diversity, current students, etc in the morning where you get to learn more about Georgetown, the curriculum and student life. At around 11:30 you have the student-run tour and lunch (which is probably by far the best interview lunch you'll have btw), followed by your interview. The day ends by around 3PM. I liked the structure of the day since not all schools will give you so much information before you head in for your interview(s).

I had an interview with 1 faculty member (MD) for ~45 minutes, but you can have an MD, PhD or M4 as your interviewee and all are weighted equally. It was a very non-stressful, conversational interview, probably the most positive experience I've had so far. No curveballs really, except for maybe one ethical scenario and being asked what some problems with modern healthcare are (but these are also fun questions to answer). And definitely be prepared to answer Why Georgetown.

Personally the only thing I wish they talked about more were finances since the biggest concern I have about Georgetown (other than getting in) is being able to pay :dead::(

Gl at your interview!

The interview was very pleasant! As a general rundown of the interview day, you talk to students and other interviewees in the applicant lounge until ~8:45 when you go to sit on on the optional lecture. Then there are talks by the Dean, Office of Diversity, current students, etc in the morning where you get to learn more about Georgetown, the curriculum and student life. At around 11:30 you have the student-run tour and lunch (which is probably by far the best interview lunch you'll have btw), followed by your interview. The day ends by around 3PM. I liked the structure of the day since not all schools will give you so much information before you head in for your interview(s).

I had an interview with 1 faculty member (MD) for ~45 minutes, but you can have an MD, PhD or M4 as your interviewee and all are weighted equally. It was a very non-stressful, conversational interview, probably the most positive experience I've had so far. No curveballs really, except for maybe one ethical scenario and being asked what some problems with modern healthcare are (but these are also fun questions to answer). And definitely be prepared to answer Why Georgetown.

Personally the only thing I wish they talked about more were finances since the biggest concern I have about Georgetown (other than getting in) is being able to pay :dead::(

Gl at your interview!
thank you so much!!! :happy:

Anyone know how the optional class visits work on interview day? The "Guide to Interview Day" says that an RSVP is requested, and specifies that the optional class visit is not available for all interview dates.

I was never presented with an opportunity to RSVP for a class visit. Should I just assume there is no class visit for my interview date?

Anyone know how the optional class visits work on interview day? The "Guide to Interview Day" says that an RSVP is requested, and specifies that the optional class visit is not available for all interview dates.

I was never presented with an opportunity to RSVP for a class visit. Should I just assume there is no class visit for my interview date?
They'll send out an email if there are class visits available on your interview day. If the interview day happens to fall on an exam block, however, they may not have it available and will inform you over email a few days before.

My interview lasted over an hour. Got maybe 1-2 curveball questions that I’m not sure if I answered well :( other than that it was great! I hope I hear good news in January!

Reactions: 1 users
upload_2018-11-26_11-10-0.png

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! Complete early September

Reactions: 2 users
R just now. Complete early Sept. Best of luck to those who just got II!!

R pre-interview. LM 75, complete 9/15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cancelled my II, hope it makes room for one of you good people. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
II this afternoon, complete last week of August! LM 73-74

Got a II today. I was an SMP student here. 514 mcat + low gpa. I was complete mid august.

Reactions: 2 users
For late sept interviewees:

Admissions said it will be closer to 10 weeks before decisions, but definitely before Christmas. I am taking that as it will be longer than 10 weeks considering I'm coming up on 9.5.

For late sept interviewees:

Admissions said it will be closer to 10 weeks before decisions, but definitely before Christmas. I am taking that as it will be longer than 10 weeks considering I'm coming up on 9.5.
I bet we hear something next week. I haven’t looked at their academic calendar but I imagine “before Christmas” means before whenever their semester ends. Idk if that’s the vibe you got from your conversation though

Last edited:
Got my first R today. Completed 9/13. Not going to lie, I feel kind of beaten.

What’s the acceptance rate like for SMP’s?

Top 75 people or so get invited to interview during the SMP year, and usually 30-35 people end up matriculating.

Post-SMP, no clue

Accepted, interviewed 10/9

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! Did you send in any updates/ letters of interest after your interview?
Thank you! I uploaded a very brief update to the portal last week just regarding extracirriculars

Waitlisted this morning, interviewed early October

Accepted, interviewed 10/8 :)
Hmm there is no 10/08 interview day (For the record I do believe you have been accepted, just wrong about your interview day)

Congrats to all those accepted! Anyone hear back from 10/9, 10/10, 10/11, 10/12?
They have seemed to respond post interview week by week so at this point it is likely you will hear next week. I heard back post interview on a Wednesday also

Do you know how to go about that? I sent an email that I found on the pdf in the interview email but never got a response...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You can call in to confirm but I requested a host and roughly a couple weeks before my interview they told me they couldn't accommodate me since it was exam week.
Also... does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate roughly?

I believe the post interview acceptance rate is roughly 40% (400 out of 1,000 who interview). But that is including wait list, and I expect 20-25% (200-250 out of 1,000) who interview are immediately accepted. The 40% I found online/ am very confident about. The 20-25% I am estimating due to the class size of 200. Also, someone previously posted that the adcom makes decisions on 80 people at a time, and accepts 20, waitlists 40, and rejects 20, which reinforces 25% immediate acceptance. Not sure about those numbers either but it was posted on this or last year SDN.

Last edited:
Do you know how to go about that? I sent an email that I found on the pdf in the interview email but never got a response...

Haha sorry, I should have guessed that was the info you needed. If you log onto the Georgetown portal and go to the "Interview" tab there is a link that says "Student Hosting Program." Click on that and fill out the form. They will contact you through email to let you know more details!