Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. jmb27

Still waiting. Interviewed 10/11

2. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    Hmm there is no 10/08 interview day (For the record I do believe you have been accepted, just wrong about your interview day)

They have seemed to respond post interview week by week so at this point it is likely you will hear next week. I heard back post interview on a Wednesday also

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. flippermccoys

You and me both! Good luck to the both of us

4. stilly20

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Waitlisted. Interviewed 9/27.

5. Ninanana

Pre-Medical
    I did. Waitlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

6. justkeepchugging

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Does Georgetown offer host stays?

7. burb

Yep

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. justkeepchugging

Do you know how to go about that? I sent an email that I found on the pdf in the interview email but never got a response...

9. justkeepchugging

Also... does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate roughly?

10. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    You can call in to confirm but I requested a host and roughly a couple weeks before my interview they told me they couldn't accommodate me since it was exam week.
    I believe the post interview acceptance rate is roughly 40% (400 out of 1,000 who interview). But that is including wait list, and I expect 20-25% (200-250 out of 1,000) who interview are immediately accepted. The 40% I found online/ am very confident about. The 20-25% I am estimating due to the class size of 200. Also, someone previously posted that the adcom makes decisions on 80 people at a time, and accepts 20, waitlists 40, and rejects 20, which reinforces 25% immediate acceptance. Not sure about those numbers either but it was posted on this or last year SDN.

#910 Beantown101, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. burb

Haha sorry, I should have guessed that was the info you needed. If you log onto the Georgetown portal and go to the "Interview" tab there is a link that says "Student Hosting Program." Click on that and fill out the form. They will contact you through email to let you know more details!

justkeepchugging likes this.
  12. Mainiac

Anyone from 9/24 hear back? I'm still waiting...

13. art2018

Withdrawing my waitlist position today, I hope it (somehow) helps someone else get in :)! Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back/interview!

Ninanana, burb and Talkbirthytome like this.
  14. wendapher

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Waitlisted this morning...interviewed 10/18

15. thdoc

II today! OOS, LM 73.5

16. Orangecat1234

Anyone know where I can buy a nice GT school of medicine fleece to wear around?

17. Reyluvbry

They have a hoya store on campus near chick fil a

Orangecat1234 likes this.
  18. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed 9/25 and was accepted 3 weeks ago

I looked EVERYWHERE and could only find a Medicine t-shirt on their b&n website. U can buy from the bookstore on campus at 2nd look also

19. Orangecat1234

Awesome thank you!!

20. PunjabiBoy1993

Anyone have any idea of post II acceptance rate here?

21. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    I believe the post interview acceptance rate is roughly 40% (400 out of 1,000 who interview). But that is including wait list, and I expect 20-25% (200-250 out of 1,000) who interview are immediately accepted. The 40% I found online/ am very confident about. The 20-25% I am estimating due to the class size of 200. Also, someone previously posted on SDN that the adcom makes decisions on 80 people at a time, and accepts 20, waitlists 40, and rejects 20, which reinforces 25% immediate acceptance.

PunjabiBoy1993 likes this.
  22. PunjabiBoy1993

Thanks! This is good to hear, 40% odds is not too bad !

23. burb

Yes, I interviewed 9/24 and heard back about two weeks ago. I know that some people on our day heard back a little later, so it seems like the committee did it in batches. You can check in with them—it’s been a while!

24. burb

That really sucks. I hope you know though it is definitely not because they think you're a bad person! They wouldn't have bothered to interview you in the first place if they thought there was a chance of that. There's potential that maybe they thought you weren't too good of a fit for the school in other ways, or maybe they didn't think you were too interested in them. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am literally going up against the best of the best students out there, and at this stage, it can even be minor things that can cause an R. But you're putting your best foot forward and you made it this far which is amazing! Keep your head up :) There may be something great out there waiting for you.

25. e2468

anybody who interviewed the week of halloween have a sense of when we'll hear back?

To Freedom and Synthetase like this.
  26. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    Around the 17th I think

e2468 likes this.
  27. HiMedLife15

To those who have been accepted:
    1. Has anyone been able to pay a deposit yet?
    2. Is there a facebook group?

28. Mary19637

Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
    Withdrawing my acceptance- hope it goes to one of you!

29. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    I called admission, you cannot pay the deposit until you make an ID and you can't do that until February. Deposit is due April 30th for everyone so don't worry.
    Not sure about the FB group.

30. justkeepchugging

Are there any pre-interview day optional activities here?

31. honey&champagne

you can sometimes sit in on a class in the morning

32. aspiringMD47

Anyone who interviewed around 10/23 heard back yet?

33. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    Nope, nothing at all :/

34. aspiringMD47

Waitlisted this morning interviewed 10/23

35. Mrsdrquavo

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/23. I probably won’t be holding my spot on the waitlist, but for anyone who was waitlisted and really wants to go here: a majority of the med students we interacted with on my interview day said that they were waitlisted and sent a letter of continued interest and were eventually accepted. They seemed to strongly believe that a letter would help you get off the waitlist, and they said GT waitlists a lot of people to sort of see who’s really interested in their school. Hope this helps!

36. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    Just wondering, feel free to not reply, but what school have you been accepted that you clearly want to go to over Georgetown? I have been accepted to GT and another school, and waiting to hear post interview from another and preemptively weighing options.

37. rambr

what do people think are acceptable post-submission updates? interviewed 11/12, still waiting to hear back. want to submit some kind of letter of interest combined with updates but not sure if it should be more of a short, bulleted list.

38. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    Just got a call from the Dean. Accepted!! Interviewed 10/23

#938 Synthetase, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    burb, a-robit, Orangecat1234 and 3 others like this.
  39. justkeepchugging

Anyone know how late they let you know about student hosts? I’m trying to figure out my travel plans

40. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    I think rule of thumb is definitely keep the entire letter under 1 page including header. That being said I personally like to also give updates within letter of interests but you don't want to make the entire letter too long. So in my opinion, adding both and keeping the interest/ update parts relatively short may be best.

burb and rambr like this.
  41. Wahed

Wahed Tilapia
    Gold Donor Verified Account

Georgetown likes updates/LOI's right? Would it make any sense to send one before the admissions committee has made a post-II decision? I interviewed a while ago and expect to hear back in 5-7 weeks, but I keep thinking about how much I like this school and how badly I want to go here.

Should I wait until the post-II decision to send an update? Or should I send it now? I've read that Georgetown likes people to express a strong interest in their school. I feel like I want to let them know that Georgetown is my first choice.

#941 Wahed, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  42. justkeepchugging

I would definitely express continued interest, from what I heard Georgetown loves that.

43. Wahed

Wahed Tilapia
    Gold Donor Verified Account

I've heard this too. However, I did send a thank you note a few hours after my interview, so I wonder if the LOI before a post-II decision has even been made would be a little much.

44. a-robit

I would probably just wait until after their post-II decision to send anything. Depending on when you interviewed, it's possible that the adcom has already made a decision, and receiving a update/LOI wouldn't make them reopen your file and re-decide.

Wahed likes this.
  45. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    I would send one regardless. I sent one in addition to my thank-you's before my initial decision and I was accepted (granted this interview went extremely well and I knew I had a great chance). My perspective is that it doesn't hurt and I think the ADCOM does like communication/ interest. You can always send another LOI combined with an update if u get waitlisted later.

Reyluvbry and Wahed like this.
  46. justkeepchugging

For thank you letters here did you guys email it to admissions, upload to the portal, or write hand written ones?

47. burb

I uploaded to the portal

48. Reyluvbry

I uploaded to portal so the admissions committee could see it. I sent mine hours after my interview while waiting in the airport and I was ultimately accepted. I also felt extremely good about my interview.

49. justkeepchugging

If you guys used the portal did you address it to the admissions office then rather than the individual interviewer? Thanks for the help!!

50. burb

I actually addressed every person that came to talk to us that day by name--but that was likely overkill. They give you only the name of the interviewer on the portal, so you should be just fine addressing the individual interviewer!

justkeepchugging likes this.