2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone from 9/24 hear back? I'm still waiting...

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing my waitlist position today, I hope it (somehow) helps someone else get in :)! Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back/interview!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know where I can buy a nice GT school of medicine fleece to wear around?

I interviewed 9/25 and was accepted 3 weeks ago

I looked EVERYWHERE and could only find a Medicine t-shirt on their b&n website. U can buy from the bookstore on campus at 2nd look also
Awesome thank you!!

Anyone have any idea of post II acceptance rate here?
I believe the post interview acceptance rate is roughly 40% (400 out of 1,000 who interview). But that is including wait list, and I expect 20-25% (200-250 out of 1,000) who interview are immediately accepted. The 40% I found online/ am very confident about. The 20-25% I am estimating due to the class size of 200. Also, someone previously posted on SDN that the adcom makes decisions on 80 people at a time, and accepts 20, waitlists 40, and rejects 20, which reinforces 25% immediate acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the post interview acceptance rate is roughly 40% (400 out of 1,000 who interview). But that is including wait list, and I expect 20-25% (200-250 out of 1,000) who interview are immediately accepted. The 40% I found online/ am very confident about. The 20-25% I am estimating due to the class size of 200. Also, someone previously posted on SDN that the adcom makes decisions on 80 people at a time, and accepts 20, waitlists 40, and rejects 20, which reinforces 25% immediate acceptance.

Thanks! This is good to hear, 40% odds is not too bad !

Anyone from 9/24 hear back? I'm still waiting...
Yes, I interviewed 9/24 and heard back about two weeks ago. I know that some people on our day heard back a little later, so it seems like the committee did it in batches. You can check in with them—it’s been a while!

Post II rejection here today. Interviewed 10/17. Feels bad that they probably think I'm a bad person!
That really sucks. I hope you know though it is definitely not because they think you're a bad person! They wouldn't have bothered to interview you in the first place if they thought there was a chance of that. There's potential that maybe they thought you weren't too good of a fit for the school in other ways, or maybe they didn't think you were too interested in them. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am literally going up against the best of the best students out there, and at this stage, it can even be minor things that can cause an R. But you're putting your best foot forward and you made it this far which is amazing! Keep your head up :) There may be something great out there waiting for you.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have been accepted:
1. Has anyone been able to pay a deposit yet?
2. Is there a facebook group?

Withdrawing my acceptance- hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
To those who have been accepted:
1. Has anyone been able to pay a deposit yet?
2. Is there a facebook group?
I called admission, you cannot pay the deposit until you make an ID and you can't do that until February. Deposit is due April 30th for everyone so don't worry.
Not sure about the FB group.

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/23. I probably won’t be holding my spot on the waitlist, but for anyone who was waitlisted and really wants to go here: a majority of the med students we interacted with on my interview day said that they were waitlisted and sent a letter of continued interest and were eventually accepted. They seemed to strongly believe that a letter would help you get off the waitlist, and they said GT waitlists a lot of people to sort of see who’s really interested in their school. Hope this helps!

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/23. I probably won’t be holding my spot on the waitlist, but for anyone who was waitlisted and really wants to go here: a majority of the med students we interacted with on my interview day said that they were waitlisted and sent a letter of continued interest and were eventually accepted. They seemed to strongly believe that a letter would help you get off the waitlist, and they said GT waitlists a lot of people to sort of see who’s really interested in their school. Hope this helps!
Just wondering, feel free to not reply, but what school have you been accepted that you clearly want to go to over Georgetown? I have been accepted to GT and another school, and waiting to hear post interview from another and preemptively weighing options.

what do people think are acceptable post-submission updates? interviewed 11/12, still waiting to hear back. want to submit some kind of letter of interest combined with updates but not sure if it should be more of a short, bulleted list.

Just got a call from the Dean. Accepted!! Interviewed 10/23

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know how late they let you know about student hosts? I’m trying to figure out my travel plans

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

what do people think are acceptable post-submission updates? interviewed 11/12, still waiting to hear back. want to submit some kind of letter of interest combined with updates but not sure if it should be more of a short, bulleted list.
I think rule of thumb is definitely keep the entire letter under 1 page including header. That being said I personally like to also give updates within letter of interests but you don't want to make the entire letter too long. So in my opinion, adding both and keeping the interest/ update parts relatively short may be best.

Reactions: 1 users
Georgetown likes updates/LOI's right? Would it make any sense to send one before the admissions committee has made a post-II decision? I interviewed a while ago and expect to hear back in 5-7 weeks, but I keep thinking about how much I like this school and how badly I want to go here.

Should I wait until the post-II decision to send an update? Or should I send it now? I've read that Georgetown likes people to express a strong interest in their school. I feel like I want to let them know that Georgetown is my first choice.

Last edited:
Georgetown likes updates/LOI's right? Would it make any sense to send one before the admissions committee has made a decision on my app? I interviewed a while ago and am expecting to hear back in 5-7 weeks, but I keep thinking about how much I like this school and how badly I want to go here.

Should I wait until the decision to send an update? Or should I send it now? I've read that Georgetown likes people to express a strong interest in their school. I feel like I want to let them know that Georgetown is my first choice.

I would definitely express continued interest, from what I heard Georgetown loves that.

I would definitely express continued interest, from what I heard Georgetown loves that.

I've heard this too. However, I did send a thank you note a few hours after my interview, so I wonder if the LOI before a post-II decision has even been made would be a little much.

I've heard this too. However, I did send a thank you note a few hours after my interview, so I wonder if the LOI before a post-II decision has even been made would be a little much.

I would probably just wait until after their post-II decision to send anything. Depending on when you interviewed, it's possible that the adcom has already made a decision, and receiving a update/LOI wouldn't make them reopen your file and re-decide.

I would send one regardless. I sent one in addition to my thank-you's before my initial decision and I was accepted (granted this interview went extremely well and I knew I had a great chance). My perspective is that it doesn't hurt and I think the ADCOM does like communication/ interest. You can always send another LOI combined with an update if u get waitlisted later.

For thank you letters here did you guys email it to admissions, upload to the portal, or write hand written ones?

For thank you letters here did you guys email it to admissions, upload to the portal, or write hand written ones?

I uploaded to portal so the admissions committee could see it. I sent mine hours after my interview while waiting in the airport and I was ultimately accepted. I also felt extremely good about my interview.

I uploaded to the portal

I uploaded to portal so the admissions committee could see it. I sent mine hours after my interview while waiting in the airport and I was ultimately accepted. I also felt extremely good about my interview.

If you guys used the portal did you address it to the admissions office then rather than the individual interviewer? Thanks for the help!!

If you guys used the portal did you address it to the admissions office then rather than the individual interviewer? Thanks for the help!!

I actually addressed every person that came to talk to us that day by name--but that was likely overkill. They give you only the name of the interviewer on the portal, so you should be just fine addressing the individual interviewer!

Addressed it to the individual interviewer but also made a passing remark thanking everyone involved. Kinda like “I appreciate the time you and others in the admissions office bla bla bla..”

Question about update letters: one of my family members recently passed away and I am taking a leave of absence from my volunteer position to support my family through this time. My estimate is that I will have lost about 60 hours of volunteering due to this leave (out of ~1500 hours reported on AMCAS). Should I mention this change in plans in my next update letter? Or is this too personal? I want to avoid irrelevant issues or updates that may appear negative. Thanks to anyone who has advice on this!

Question about update letters: one of my family members recently passed away and I am taking a leave of absence from my volunteer position to support my family through this time. My estimate is that I will have lost about 60 hours of volunteering due to this leave (out of ~1500 hours reported on AMCAS). Should I mention this change in plans in my next update letter? Or is this too personal? I want to avoid irrelevant issues or updates that may appear negative. Thanks to anyone who has advice on this!

Not an expert, but I don't think it's necessary to include! It's one of those things that seems like if you were asked about it, you can tell them, but I don't think you need to explain why future hours aren't matching up with the original AMCAS report, since I think adcoms know those are likely to change. My condolences for your loss, sending prayers for your family in this time.

Is there typically any mobility on the waitlist here?

Are they still considering people for interview? I still haven’t heard back yet

Did anyone get a financial aid email that says dear admitted applicant, but hasn't got an acceptance mail yet?

Last edited:
First week of December interviewer, I know Georgetown said to wait 8-10 weeks, but are they on the slower side right now?

Several of my other schools are 2-3 weeks past the upper end of wait time post-II

First week of December interviewer, I know Georgetown said to wait 8-10 weeks, but are they on the slower side right now?

Several of my other schools are 2-3 weeks past the upper end of wait time post-II

I interviewed in the first half of November and still haven't heard anything so it seems like they are on the slower side...

Did anyone get a financial aid email that says dear admitted applicant, but hasn't got an acceptance mail yet?
I got the email also but I was accepted in November. Maybe foreshadowing but I would say not to read into it too much and psych yourself out.

Also to all those wondering about timelines- I was accepted mid November and interviewed late September, so it was about week 8 I think but it's possible they slowed down because of winter/ Christmas break or because it's later in the cycle, but regardless as long as people haven't posted they've been accepted from your interview day you are fine.

I interviewed first half of Nov so I’ll be patiently waiting for 3 weeks :(