2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You could read my post two posts above yours

Got waitlisted here and another school from the City I’m from.

These new traffic rules are really brutal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Got waitlisted here and another school from the City I’m from.

These new traffic rules are really brutal
I think (and hope) they are waiting for this first day where students can indicate if they "plan to enroll." If it makes you feel any better, there are a certain number of spots at each school and they will definitely fill each of them (whether tomorrow or May)

Formally withdrew from the waitlist this morning. Bittersweet since this was my undergrad institution--I hope everyone who ends up here next year gets to thoroughly enjoy the campus and city! GL all :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any accepted student been able to make a University ID or Net ID yet?

Just got the acceptance call from Dean Mitchell! Interviewed early January.

Reactions: 4 users
I got the call! I’m accepted and I couldn’t be more excited!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Missed my call cause I was working but was left a message. Interviewed mid December.

Any accepted student been able to make a University ID or Net ID yet?
I just checked the portal and our NetID, GOCard #, and Georgetown email were added recently and I was able to make the profile and change the password!

Just withdrew my WL spot and hope it will help in some way for those who are waiting or are also on the WL! Good luck y'all

Reactions: 4 users
How long after acceptance does financial aid info come out?

Have people started hearing from January interview? Or, any idea when we'd hear back from late January interview date?

I know they said in the R communication that they're not able to answer specific questions about our app/ why we got the R, but do you think it's worth a shot? Also, does anyone know much about the SMP program? Is it too late to apply/ do you think that it would heavily increase chances of getting an interview here next cycle?

I know they said in the R communication that they're not able to answer specific questions about our app/ why we got the R, but do you think it's worth a shot? Also, does anyone know much about the SMP program? Is it too late to apply/ do you think that it would heavily increase chances of getting an interview here next cycle?

I did the SMP program. It's not easy, but if you make it out of the other end, you'll be in really good shape for med school. I don't think it's too late to apply, but you can always check the website/contact the administration. The process is really easy since they accept a copy of your AMCAS in lieu of a regular application.

The way acceptances to GUSoM while you're a SMP works is that they interview people separately from the regular applicant pool, and there have been people with a 3.5 SMP GPA who have been admitted. Of course, this depends on the rest of your application, so I would say that it helps in the sense that the admissions committee knows exactly what your performance in the SMP means. I don't know if you've had other interviews this cycle, but an SMP is definitely high risk/high reward, and designed with a certain subset of applicants in mind. If you had interviews, I would probably look for other ways to improve your application, since it is quite expensive. Also consider your secondary essay to Georgetown, since they seem to put a lot of weight on that.

I did the SMP program. It's not easy, but if you make it out of the other end, you'll be in really good shape for med school. I don't think it's too late to apply, but you can always check the website/contact the administration. The process is really easy since they accept a copy of your AMCAS in lieu of a regular application.

The way acceptances to GUSoM while you're a SMP works is that they interview people separately from the regular applicant pool, and there have been people with a 3.5 SMP GPA who have been admitted. Of course, this depends on the rest of your application, so I would say that it helps in the sense that the admissions committee knows exactly what your performance in the SMP means. I don't know if you've had other interviews this cycle, but an SMP is definitely high risk/high reward, and designed with a certain subset of applicants in mind. If you had interviews, I would probably look for other ways to improve your application, since it is quite expensive. Also consider your secondary essay to Georgetown, since they seem to put a lot of weight on that.

Thanks a bunch for this info! What type of person is the SMP specifically designed for? Did you get accepted to the med school after the SMP? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks a bunch for this info! What type of person is the SMP specifically designed for? Did you get accepted to the med school after the SMP? Sorry for all the questions!

Usually high MCAT, low GPA with decent extracurriculars, letters, etc. Essentially someone who needs to prove to schools that they can handle med school. I had a 33 (514-515) on the old MCAT and a 3.5/3.22 c/sGPA going into the SMP, and was accepted this year to GU after interviewing and getting waitlisted last year while I was a SMP student.

Has anyone heard back recently post-interview? mid-late Jan. folks?

Does anyone know when they let Stewart Scholars know that they’ve been selected? What about financial aid packages generally?

sorry if someone has asked this, but does anyone know if Georgetown typically has a lot of waitlist movement? Or details on the waitlist in general?

Anyone that has done the SMP and received an II from GUSOM, when did IIs go out? Early, middle, late, or after spring break? Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone that has done the SMP and received an II from GUSOM, when did IIs go out? Early, middle, late, or after spring break? Thanks!

Shortly after the end of Block 3, right before spring break.

I know that it's sort of anyone's guess, but does anyone have a feel for how often they're doing waves of acceptances/rejections/waitlists? I've been watching this forum and it seems pretty sporadic

Also, for people who have heard back recently, how long after your interview did you hear? 8 weeks? more?

(really grateful for anyone who is willing to share about their experience)

Also, for people who have heard back recently, how long after your interview did you hear? 8 weeks? more?

Interviewed early January, I heard back at the end of 7 weeks.

I interviewed mid-November and heard back late January! Closer to the 10 week mark.

Can someone send me the link to georgetown's class of 2023's fb page. I was accepted last week!

Last edited: