2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I signed up for the class visit too but am unsure of my travel plans. I told them and they said if I can’t make it it’s no big deal! I’m interviewing on 8/29. Best of luck to you! :)
How exactly do you sign up for this? I don't see anything on the portal. @medhope516 @Jormungandr

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else have any trouble submitting/paying for the secondary? I enter in my credit card info but it keeps taking me back to the pay/submit page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I contacted the admissions at Georgetown and they just redirected me to their website and so I would love some of your insights.

The school states the following is required:

EXPERIENCES - Clinical Experience, Leadership, Service, and Research. A highly competitive applicant will present a minimum of:

• ~200 hours of substantive, longitudinal clinical experiences such as: shadowing a physician, medical mission trips, scribing, community EMS, etc. Please note that volunteering in clinic/waiting rooms such as playing/reading to children, stocking shelves, and transporting patients is considered good volunteer experience, but is not hands-on clinical experience. International experiences are acceptable, but a majority should be in the United States.

Do you think that psych ward or hospice volunteering would fulfill this requirement? I personally am not too sure.

Hey everyone, I contacted the admissions at Georgetown and they just redirected me to their website and so I would love some of your insights.

The school states the following is required:

EXPERIENCES - Clinical Experience, Leadership, Service, and Research. A highly competitive applicant will present a minimum of:

• ~200 hours of substantive, longitudinal clinical experiences such as: shadowing a physician, medical mission trips, scribing, community EMS, etc. Please note that volunteering in clinic/waiting rooms such as playing/reading to children, stocking shelves, and transporting patients is considered good volunteer experience, but is not hands-on clinical experience. International experiences are acceptable, but a majority should be in the United States.

Do you think that psych ward or hospice volunteering would fulfill this requirement? I personally am not too sure.

What types of activities did you do while you were volunteering there?

This is really late but II on 8/1, interviewing on 9/24 :shy: For those still waiting to hear back, hang in there! I have a 508 and still managed to snag a spot.

Reactions: 5 users
What types of activities did you do while you were volunteering there?

In both experiences I have worked directly with patients alongside nurses, PCAs RTs, OTs, etc. There has been a mix of rehabilitative activities with the patients, and providing accompaniment through leisurely activities.

What do you think? Would this suffice for Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad :)
In both experiences I have worked directly with patients alongside nurses, PCAs RTs, OTs, etc. There has been a mix of rehabilitative activities with the patients, and providing accompaniment through leisurely activities.

I should think so. The ultimate decider is the answer to two questions: 1) What is it one gains from shadowing/medical missions/etc?.; 2) Does Hospice and Psych Ward Volunteering fulfill that? You are interacting with patients in a medical environment, arguably more than you would be able to do in some shadowing opportunities where you are merely an observer. Are you learning how to do a thoracentesis? No, but that's what medical school is for, and you are learning bedside manner and patient care regardless. I absolutely would not worry, although having a bit of everything they list in addition to your patient care volunteering would of course be advisable.

I should think so. The ultimate decider is the answer to two questions: 1) What is it one gains from shadowing/medical missions/etc?.; 2) Does Hospice and Psych Ward Volunteering fulfill that? You are interacting with patients in a medical environment, arguably more than you would be able to do in some shadowing opportunities where you are merely an observer. Are you learning how to do a thoracentesis? No, but that's what medical school is for, and you are learning bedside manner and patient care regardless. I absolutely would not worry, although having a bit of everything they list in addition to your patient care volunteering would of course be advisable.

Thanks a lot for the insights, my friend. Definitely reassuring.

God bless.

That experience sounds great! I think that would count since you had in-person contact with patients and healthcare providers. You should go for it :)

Reactions: 1 user
so my app has been marked as under review for almost 3 weeks... anyone else in that boat?

Reactions: 7 users
II is scheduled for 9/6. Date is getting closer!!

so my app has been marked as under review for almost 3 weeks... anyone else in that boat?
worked hard to submit the secondary 7/1, wasn't marked complete until 7/26 for the LOR issue, and still under review... i'm dyin inside

Reactions: 2 users
II is scheduled for 9/6. Date is getting closer!!
Good luck! I’m interviewing on 9/21, and getting those pre interview jitters :/ anyone else interview already? How did the day go?

Hello all! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you are a black applicant, you shouldn't apply to Georgetown. I'm a current student (black female) and their policies (both admissions and for current students) are meant to only support white students. Also, the new curriculum is ****, and they refuse to fix the real problems with it, they know it has put last year's class and this year's class at a disadvantage in terms of the boards, but everyone will lie to you in your interviews and second-look day. I swear on my life that I go to Georgetown School of Medicine. They are disproportionately failing and holding back students of color. Oh also, don't be alarmed if your white friends get directly admitted, if you're an applicant of color most likely you will be waitlisted before you're admitted. I was and most of my friends, who self-identify with an URiM race/ethnicity were as well. If you want to be in DC, go to GW or Howard. Their programs are better. Georgetown is only highly ranked because so many people apply and they only accept ~200. PM me if you want specifics on curriculum, day to day, etc. Good luck with your applications though!

They are disproportionately failing and holding back students of color.

Just curious, what do you mean by "failing and holding back student?" Can you be more specific?

students fail, and have to repeat the year.
Just curious, what do you mean by "failing and holding back student?" Can you be more specific?

students fail and have to repeat the entire first year.

And how exactly are they disproportionately failing students of color and having them repeat the year? Do you have any objective evidence to support this claim? Because it’s a pretty serious accusation.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you are a black applicant, you shouldn't apply to Georgetown. I'm a current student (black female) and their policies (both admissions and for current students) are meant to only support white students. Also, the new curriculum is ****, and they refuse to fix the real problems with it, they know it has put last year's class and this year's class at a disadvantage in terms of the boards, but everyone will lie to you in your interviews and second-look day. I swear on my life that I go to Georgetown School of Medicine. They are disproportionately failing and holding back students of color. Oh also, don't be alarmed if your white friends get directly admitted, if you're an applicant of color most likely you will be waitlisted before you're admitted. I was and most of my friends, who self-identify with an URiM race/ethnicity were as well. If you want to be in DC, go to GW or Howard. Their programs are better. Georgetown is only highly ranked because so many people apply and they only accept ~200. PM me if you want specifics on curriculum, day to day, etc. Good luck with your applications though!

Unless the school is blocking URM students from taking exams or classes, I don't see why the school is involved in discriminating against URM students. Students themselves are responsible for keeping up and not failing a class.

I'm confused. What I'm getting from your post is that if a black student of color doesn't pass a class they should be able move on anyway and not have to retake what was failed?

Im not trying to start an argument but considering that people come here looking for advice on gtown i figured I would chime in. The problem with your statement is that youre talking about the curriculum as though your grades are based solely on a single course for one block, even though the grades at georgetown span over the entire year. For example, you take cardio, renal, and resp physiology in block 3, and GI, repro, and endo physiology in block 4. If you do poorly/fail (<70%) cardio physiology that doesnt just impact cardio physiology it actually affects your entire physiology grade which is composed over blocks 1, 3, and 4. So simply failing one exam in one particular area ends up affecting a grade that spans much longer than just that one class. So if you just passed other courses in blocks 1 and 3, and failed something in block 4 that brought your overall physio grade below a 70, it may be in your best interest to repeat the entire year rather than just repeating that single course to try and bring up the grade. The only exceptions to this are your grades for immunology, psychiatry, and human sexuality which are each decided entirely in one block respectively. From what I know, from our syllabus, at georgetown you can remediate a course if you fail at the discretion of the course director, and you would go from a grade of F to an FP which stands for Failure Passed By Remediation. So at the end of the day, if someone fails a course its unfortunate but its on that student not georgetown, georgetown isn't purposely failing anyone, your grades on an exam are your grades on an exam. You can't say georgetown is failing POC's when in reality if a student failed its because the student didn't perform up to the required standard. Now if you're saying that beyond this georgetown is going out of their way and purposely failing people of color even though they passed then that a serious allegation that I have no knowledge about, and if that is actually what you mean then please do speak up about that because that is not okay. But again, from my knowledge I do not believe that to be the case.

Reactions: 7 users
Just got an R! Complete 7/3. Good luck to everyone else applying!

Reactions: 2 users
Complete 7/14 and still silence. Shaking in my boots right now. Good luck on the rest of the cycle for those that got the R today :(

Reactions: 1 users
Complete 7/14 and still silence. Shaking in my boots right now. Good luck on the rest of the cycle for those that got the R today :(
Same, I wonder if us early applicants can still get IIs later on or if we have largely been ignored.

Reactions: 3 users
In light of being on hold and a couple people getting R's right now, do y'all think I should send an update? 2 classes with A's, accepted abstract to a conference, but that's it. I just don't want to get ignored and be snuffed out!!

Reactions: 1 users