2018-2019 Geriatrics Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmurfMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just because no one else will make one! :)

Invites:
Baylor
UT San Antonio
UT Southwestern
UT Houston
UTMB Galveston
TT Permian Basin
UCLA
USC
Stanford
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
University of New Mexico
University of Arizona - Phoenix

Rejections:
UCSF

No response:
University of Arizona - Tucson

I am an Internal Medicine applicant.

**UPDATE: My interview season is done. I interviewed with 9 out of 13 programs that invited me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
good job on making this thread. Also, try to indicate if IM or FM applicants.

Best wishes to you and all future Geriatricians.

I would welcome any feedback regarding experiences with the Geriatric Medicine departments as a medical student, resident, or fellow with Baylor, UT Southwestern, Stanford, or UCLA. Send me a PM if you wish to remain anonymous. Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see there have been many views of this thread, but very few posts (mostly my own). The information for Geriatrics out there is scant. I am willing to answer any questions from my perspective regarding the field or the interview process.

Job prospects? Have always been curious what type of job opportunities it would open for you?

Job prospects? Have always been curious what type of job opportunities it would open for you?

The types of jobs I have seen include geriatric hospitalist in an ACE unit, traditional outpatient clinic +/- inpatient consultations for geriatric syndromes and polypharmacy, SNF, home visits (independent living/assisted living/nursing home), academics, and medical directorship. There is a tendency to dual board in Palliative Medicine which can also be practiced in any of these settings. I have met geriatricians who focus on one of these settings and others who combine a variety of settings. The field is wide open with good job security.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I'll be applying this upcoming cycle for geriatric fellowship positions and would love some advice on the application process. I.e. how many programs should I apply to and how do the interview days differ from residency interview days?
Thanks in advance.

Hi! I'll be applying this upcoming cycle for geriatric fellowship positions and would love some advice on the application process. I.e. how many programs should I apply to and how do the interview days differ from residency interview days?
Thanks in advance.

I would take a serious look at your preferred geographic region and select the programs you would realistically consider attending. I started off with most of the Southwest region and after a positive response limited myself to Texas and California. Although the likelihood of getting your top ranked program is higher than more competitive specialties, I do know a couple of people who matched to their third and fourth ranked programs. For peace of mind, they both matched at top ranked hospitals for Geriatrics per U.S. News (https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/geriatric-care).

The interview days vary widely from program to program. They were similar in format to residency interviews. All of the programs were very friendly, each with their unique set of personalities.

Personally, the following were important when making my rank list: (1) Personal fit, (2) Geographic location, (3) Training in a wide variety of settings (Inpatient consultations, ACE unit, Outpatient clinic, Hospice facility, SNF/Rehab, Home visits), (4) Ratio of VA to Public/Private training (I am currently in a military/VA setting and was looking for more Public/Private exposure), and (5) Opportunity to pursue a Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellowship within the same institution (I was not prepared to make the commitment for an additional year at the time of application).

Last edited: