2018-2019 Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I know that they didn't have a secondary for their inaugural class and per their website they still don't have one. Anyone know if they are actually going straight to II from primary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that they didn't have a secondary for their inaugural class and per their website they still don't have one. Anyone know if they are actually going straight to II from primary?

I emailed them and they said "There is a secondary component and will be emailed late july"

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious but does anyone know/have asked the oldest MCAT they’re willing to accept? Website still has it for 2018 cycle, which will accept 2014 and later. So I assumed 2019 cycle would mean 2015 or later but MSAR has something different. I’ve also noticed discrepancy between MSAR and some schools. I emailed them a few weeks ago but no response yet.

Just curious but does anyone know/have asked the oldest MCAT they’re willing to accept? Website still has it for 2018 cycle, which will accept 2014 and later. So I assumed 2019 cycle would mean 2015 or later but MSAR has something different. I’ve also noticed discrepancy between MSAR and some schools. I emailed them a few weeks ago but no response yet.
You should probably expect them to no longer take the old mcat. I’m guessing the earliest would be in late 2015 since schools go around the 2.5 year rule on average

Hi! just wondering of anyone knows the kinds of MCAT and GPAs that were accepted last year? The msar doesn't have a lot of info

SO...they said on their page you have to have 1 LOR from a 'healthcare provider' and listed psychologist among the examples. I have a LOR from a woman who happens to have a PsyD. but does not practice as such...wondering if this will fly. What did you guys do to get around this (because I know none of you got actual healthcare providers to write you letters ;) )

SO...they said on their page you have to have 1 LOR from a 'healthcare provider' and listed psychologist among the examples. I have a LOR from a woman who happens to have a PsyD. but does not practice as such...wondering if this will fly. What did you guys do to get around this (because I know none of you got actual healthcare providers to write you letters ;) )
If you have a committee letter then that’s good for 2/3 letters. Then you just need another

Yes from my understanding. A committee letter packet counts as one at this schools so you probably need another

Yeah I see it on the website, this sucks because I don’t feel like bothering someone all the sudden to write me a letter.

Do any other schools off the top of your head require more than just a committee letter?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I see it on the website, this sucks because I don’t feel like bothering someone all the sudden to write me a letter.

Do any other schools off the top of your head require more than just a committee letter?

Require no, but there’s a lot that will take more. I think some DO schools have that though

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if they will accept more letters than the 3 that are required?

Wait if I have a committee letter with 5 letters attached I still need another?? Crapppppp

You should be okay! I only submitted 1 LOR through AMCAS (committee).My committee letter met the 2 requirements set by the school. The way they phrased it is awkward.

You should be okay! I only submitted 1 LOR through AMCAS (committee).My committee letter met the 2 requirements set by the school. The way they phrased it is awkward.
I don't think that's right. They say they require 3 letters, and a committee letter only counts for 2/3

I don't think that's right. They say they require 3 letters, and a committee letter only counts for 2/3

I think it depends on your committee letter and what letters were attached to it.

n=1
I only did my committee letter and was accepted to this school.
However, do note my committee letter did meet stated requirements: health care provider and additional academic/physician/supervisor letter. In addition, 2 other letters were attached to it.

In terms of AMCAS, I only sent 1 letter to the SOM, my committee letter.

Best of luck to everyone applying!:biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
I think it depends on your committee letter and what letters were attached to it.

n=1
I only did my committee letter and was accepted to this school.
However, do note my committee letter did meet stated requirements: health care provider and additional academic/physician/supervisor letter. In addition, 2 other letters were attached to it.

In terms of AMCAS, I only sent 1 letter to the SOM, my committee letter.

Best of luck to everyone applying!:biglove:

Ah okay thank god. Last question but are you sure they didn’t change the requirements between last year and this year? (I hope not)

I was freaking out on who I should ask for an extra letter lol

:)
Ah okay thank god. Last question but are you sure they didn’t change the requirements between last year and this year? (I hope not)

I was freaking out on who I should ask for an extra letter lol

Yes! It’s the same exact requirements, they didn’t even change the website :)
If you have more questions or want to double check I would call the admissions office, they are super helpful!

So is this place doing secondaries?? I checked their website and doesn't say anything about it.

Debating whether I should submit my primary here--hopefully we get some info on the first class soon!

LizzyM~69
The school does have moderately high stats for a new school, but the school also values diversity. They definitely consider applicants whose stats might not be the highest, but are a great fit to the school.
The school is also OOS friendly!!

Good luck everyone:biglove::love::)

LizzyM~69
The school does have moderately high stats for a new school, but the school also values diversity. They definitely consider applicants whose stats might not be the highest, but are a great fit to the school.
The school is also OOS friendly!!

Good luck everyone:biglove::love::)
What are the stats?

Does anyone if there is a secondary fee here? If so, what is it?

Does this school screen for secondaries? or is it automatic?

Where the secondaries at :(

Honestly - this may not be a popular opinion - but I am glad to not have their secondary yet. I am swamped with them.

Reactions: 6 users
It better not be terrible like dukes

I'd write a book if it means I gain an acceptance. Just one step in the journey. Excited to get this one in.

I've been looking around and can't find anything, I'd like to know too.

I can give general advice.

The class is pretty much 50% OOS.

There is far less than "25% from seton hall" in the undergrad class. Maybe 6 people out of 60.

If i had to guess, the median is probably around 3.75 513. I believe there are several 520+ers. There are also 505-510s like any other class. Those median stats are just my guess, not official. People dont really talk about mcat scores
Hi! thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, are you a current student?

Thanks. Think I'll be adding this school to my list. Always funny to compare what current med students and adcoms would suggest.
Do you mind pming me your school list? I am in a similar spot although much lower Mcat (515)

Do you mind pming me your school list? I am in a similar spot although much lower Mcat (515)

Still a work in progress but sure maybe tomorrow evening! I have some rather silly reaches that you may not want to include depending on how much you value your bank account

Last one I'm waiting on.
At 28/29 secondaries submitted, WYA SETON HALL?

Last one I'm waiting on.
At 28/29 secondaries submitted, WYA SETON HALL?
I’m sure they’re scrambling. Their first class just started a month ago after being selected in less than 3 months.